HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Willing to give up Smith and likely Nyquist to get him?
White + 1st??

I really don't think Okposo's asking price is going to be that high. He's underpformed for a while now.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:50 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
White + 1st??

I really don't think Okposo's asking price is going to be that high. He's underpformed for a while now.
I wouldn't trade this year's first. First rounder is too much for Okposo anyway, unless it's guaranteed late one imo.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Henkka

Trading this years 1st, is kind of the last thing than will happen.

It will be the most valuable pick in Red Wings near history since Keith Primeau. And that was 23 years ago.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

There aren't any moves to make this year. Everyone has a chance to make the playoffs, and there aren't many moves to make with the Eastern Conference since we're moving into their territory next year. Frankly, I wonder what moves could have been made to avoid this. I highly doubt all 30 GMs know what trades are going on so that they can get in on the actions. Last year's FA and Trade Market was never going to happen. Suter was bent on Minnesota, and Howson wasn't even going to talk about Nash.... Frankly I wonder if the current state of things was unavoidable. That's not to say signings like Mikael Samuelsson are excused because of this... But I wonder...

Old
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Trading this years 1st, is kind of the last thing than will happen.

It will be the most valuable pick in Red Wings near history since Keith Primeau. And that was 23 years ago.
Or maybe the Wings finish 6th and we pick 19th, like with Kindl.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
DarkReign

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...uDRKcUkVmUD2mI

Larry Brooks, I know he's a buffoon. But what if Chicago bought out Hossa...

Old
03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post

Would be risky signing a guy to a long term deal with that 35 + rule.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

There was thread about this on Chicago board when the new CBA came out.

Seemed like many wanted to buy him out after 14 season.

Not bc of the cap but they seemed to think he want to be able to maintain that level of play till the end of he's contract or might retire early, leaving lot of cap hit to hang there.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
hollaplaya

Visnovsky

If we're not going to make any deals for a Top 6 forward what do you think about this move.

Cleary+3rd to Isles for Visnovsky. If that doesn't work you could probably add a decent prospect who can play right away (Mursak)

Vis is an UFA, and can slide into the Top 4 to give some experience. He has some really good stats when healthy. Cleary's contract easily helps the Isles to keep above the cap floor.

Other moves would be White for a pick. I doubt that it would be a 2nd but a 3rd or 4th would be nice. Waive Huskins. Call-up Gustav

End up with something like this I don't really see Sammy or Burt coming back any time soon.

Franzen-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Flip
Tatar-Helm-Tootoo
Joakim-Emmerton-Gator

Kronwall-Ericsson
Visnovsky-Smith
Quincey-Kindl

Howard
Gus

With: Eaves, Miller, Lashoff as the extras

Obviously Burt/Sammy would prolly cause a couple guys to go back down.

Now I guess the Isles may still feel they have a good shot at the playoffs in which case Bouwmeester might be a good target. Though I think Flip would probably be the guy that the Flames would want.

if this could be pulled off and Nyquist is able to excel at the NHL level, I think it could be a really good move. I really like the idea of Tatar-Helm-Tootoo together, I think the spacing would be ideal for Tatar and they're all pretty solid workers.

Idk, just a thought

Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Or maybe the Wings finish 6th and we pick 19th, like with Kindl.
Finishing 8th is super underrated. You still get a respectable draft pick and you get playoffs.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Finishing 8th is super underrated. You still get a respectable draft pick and you get playoffs.
Or you get super hot and get all the way to the finals, either way it's a win-win an okay draft pick and playoff hockey revenue.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
sarcastro

Quote:

It's not a totally ridiculous argument. The league really wanted to punish teams with terrible cap-buster deals from the previous CBA, and if Hossa doesn't get bought out and retires before he's 42, the Hawks take an enormous cap hit.

They'll certainly keep him and find some other loophole to avoid the league's intended punishment, though, so it's not an issue. Fun to think about though.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
It's not a totally ridiculous argument. The league really wanted to punish teams with terrible cap-buster deals from the previous CBA, and if Hossa doesn't get bought out and retires before he's 42, the Hawks take an enormous cap hit.

They'll certainly keep him and find some other loophole to avoid the league's intended punishment, though, so it's not an issue. Fun to think about though.
Did they change this in the new CBA? I was under the impression if the contract was signed before they are 35 they could retire and the cap hit wouldn't count. Did this not get grandfathered in?

Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 03-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
There aren't any moves to make this year. Everyone has a chance to make the playoffs, and there aren't many moves to make with the Eastern Conference since we're moving into their territory next year. Frankly, I wonder what moves could have been made to avoid this. I highly doubt all 30 GMs know what trades are going on so that they can get in on the actions. Last year's FA and Trade Market was never going to happen. Suter was bent on Minnesota, and Howson wasn't even going to talk about Nash.... Frankly I wonder if the current state of things was unavoidable. That's not to say signings like Mikael Samuelsson are excused because of this... But I wonder...
I've been less than critical of this lineup at times, but what the Wings should have done was get Smith, Kindl, Nyquist, and Tatar into larger roles last season. They were ready, and we still had a deep enough blueline to cover for a couple of kids without missing much of a beat. Maybe then we could have leaned on the kids for more than 10-12 minutes a night this season. Whatever else the Wings do this season, when they get healthy enough to make some decent lines, they should keep Tatar in the lineup and call Nyquist up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Did they change this in the new CBA? I was under the impression if the contract was signed before they are 35 they could retire and the cap hit wouldn't count. Did this not get grandfathered in.
No, they didn't get grandfathered in. That's been the biggest push behind moving Franzen, though Z's contract could hurt us far more if he retires early.

03-12-2013, 12:15 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

No, they didn't get grandfathered in. That's been the biggest push behind moving Franzen, though Z's contract could hurt us far more if he retires early.
Wow. Suddenly I take amnesty buyout consideration for some players a lot more seriously.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:25 AM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Wow. Suddenly I take amnesty buyout consideration for some players a lot more seriously.
Yep. Which is why some of us want to buy out Franzen but people yell at us before getting all the facts in.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Yep. Which is why some of us want to buy out Franzen but people yell at us before getting all the facts in.
Well this also ignores what I am guessing is about to be the loophole, see Pronger. Now that obviously has a big injury behind it. But how many guys in the 40's can really pass a physical. I mean truly pass it, look at Arnott right now.

Could Yzerman have passed a serious physical or even a third party physical for his last several years? Absolutely not.

What you're going to see is if the player wants to retire magically a lot of these guys are going to have LTIR injuries. Bertuzzi is likely to play this out next season, but in my opinion you're about to see a lot of this. The player gets to accept money to do it. I thought a harder part is they need to have these guys in everyonce in a while why they do it, but we even found out last week Pronger is living in St. Louis already. So it looks like this is pretty easy to accomplish. For a couple of seasons they will have to be careful about how close they get to the cap in the offseason, but teams have already figured out how to juggle this.

Zetterberg's back might not pass a legitimate physical when the time comes to truly consider this. Franzen has a history of injuries, don't think they could find one to shelf him?

The toll that the NHL takes on bodies is incredible, look at a lot of the retired players. We are about to see a rise in LTIR money, the key will be getting past the third party doctor assigned by the NHL or insurance companies. The insurance companies are unlikely to care on Franzen and Zetterberg since they don't actually cover the backend of their deal part of the reason they fought over contract lengths.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:15 AM
King Kovalchuk

If the Wings traded for Brian Campbell, wouldn't the Panthers still be on the hook for some of his money?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:00 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalchuk View Post
If the Wings traded for Brian Campbell, wouldn't the Panthers still be on the hook for some of his money?
Depends on the term. Teams can take/leave some cap hit and/or salary in trades now.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

all we need is
- a true top pairing dman 30 and under, capable of playing 25plus mins a night, who can log the tough minutes against teams best players, who can skate, and who can ease the burden on kronwall
our biggest need is this player. we dont need an alex semin top 4 scoring winger, we need to be able to get the puck to our forwards better
- a younger todd berttuzi, a guy who can play in our top 6 who is big and can chip in goals and who can create room for datsyuk and zetts
- a 4th line grinder who actually grinds and can fight when necessary to again protect all the rookies and keep players honest

thats it, we dont need perry or semin

Old
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Would be risky signing a guy to a long term deal with that 35 + rule.
Hell, I'd do that in a heartbeat. 3 years at $6.25m?

Maybe swing a trade for Gaborik since they apparently need a RHD? Franzen, White, Filppula, next year's 1st?

(Capgeek is by far my favorite site)

FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($2.650m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Marian Hossa ($6.250m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ron Hainsey ($4.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Kent Huskins ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Trade: Johan Franzen
Trade: Ian White
Trade: Valtteri Filppula
Trade: Jonas Gustavsson
Trade: Kyle Quincey

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,820,000; BONUSES: $355,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,835,000

Think that might get Datsyuk to stick around a couple more years? I sure do.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:36 AM
InjuredChoker

Nyquist would surely be happy in AHL.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Animus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Hell, I'd do that in a heartbeat. 3 years at $6.25m?

Maybe swing a trade for Gaborik since they apparently need a RHD? Franzen, White, Filppula, next year's 1st?

(Capgeek is by far my favorite site)

FORWARDS
Damien Brunner ($2.650m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Marian Hossa ($6.250m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ron Hainsey ($4.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Kent Huskins ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Trade: Johan Franzen
Trade: Ian White
Trade: Valtteri Filppula
Trade: Jonas Gustavsson
Trade: Kyle Quincey

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,820,000; BONUSES: $355,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,835,000

Think that might get Datsyuk to stick around a couple more years? I sure do.
Not to "poo" on your parade here but each team only gets two amnesty buyouts. This is Ian White's last year in Detroit, why waste a buyout on your 7th D-man? Bertuzzi is bound to get LTIR and his money won't count (if I am correct) and Sammy is returning soon, just let him play out his last NHL contract.

Franzen is more or less likely to be bought out (99% won't happen) but if anything it will be him. Finding a team to take his amount of years would be tough, plus as long as he stays healthy he is kind of a steal at that price. Detroit needs Flip IF he can produce (sorry to say, Datsyuk is done after next year). Gus and Quincey are both meh, might as well let both play out their respective contracts then leave.

Signing both Gaborik and Hossa would be really bad idea's especially to those amounts of money. Along with Zetterberg, those monster contracts would be terrible to carry over in the long run.

Lastly, the roster you put together wasn't bad at all but it won't get Datsyuk to stay. He's said many times he wants to finish his career in Russia and be around to watch his daughter grow up (Can't fault him there - I mean the man cried when his daughter said how proud she was of him for winning that Gold Medal at the World Championships last year). If you want to put together a roster to get him to stay sub the two slovak's out for two Russian players. It might help but sadly I still don't think it gets him to stay

Old
03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Not to "poo" on your parade here but each team only gets two amnesty buyouts. This is Ian White's last year in Detroit, why waste a buyout on your 7th D-man? Bertuzzi is bound to get LTIR and his money won't count (if I am correct) and Sammy is returning soon, just let him play out his last NHL contract.
Bertuzzi was a regular buyout, which is why there's a cap hit associated with him.

Quote:
Franzen is more or less likely to be bought out (99% won't happen) but if anything it will be him. Finding a team to take his amount of years would be tough, plus as long as he stays healthy he is kind of a steal at that price. Detroit needs Flip IF he can produce (sorry to say, Datsyuk is done after next year). Gus and Quincey are both meh, might as well let both play out their respective contracts then leave.
Hey, there's always Florida to take on a contract like Franzen's -- then THEY can buy him out. Unfortunately, I think Flip is going to price himself out of Detroit, and have moved on to the thought that he should be traded while he has some value left. I can't necessarily agree with Datsyuk being done next year, especially if the Wings can make a or two splash like those guys. As far as Quincey goes, I'm sure there will be a buyer at the deadline, and Q is a prime target in my opinion; Gustavsson will probably stick it out, and his cap hit wouldn't put the Wings over anyway.

Quote:
Signing both Gaborik and Hossa would be really bad idea's especially to those amounts of money. Along with Zetterberg, those monster contracts would be terrible to carry over in the long run.
Gaborik's only signed for 2 more years, and the Hossa contract I imagined would be for 2 or 3. Add to that a Datsyuk's potential leaving after next season, and that would at least give a small, albeit good window to win a Cup before he goes.

Quote:
Lastly, the roster you put together wasn't bad at all but it won't get Datsyuk to stay. He's said many times he wants to finish his career in Russia and be around to watch his daughter grow up (Can't fault him there - I mean the man cried when his daughter said how proud she was of him for winning that Gold Medal at the World Championships last year). If you want to put together a roster to get him to stay sub the two slovak's out for two Russian players. It might help but sadly I still don't think it gets him to stay
Heh, I can't really imagine one way or the other whether or not Russians would make a difference; you might be able to sign Semin to a short-term deal, and if Washington buys out Ovechkin do the same thing... but I'm pretty sure the chances of that aren't even in the realm of "low." Hell, any roster I post has about, oh, I'd say between 0% and -5% chance of happening, but it's fun to speculate, right?

The thing is, Hossa is familiar with the system and the major players, and he, Gaborik, and Datsyuk seem to get along well on the ice. Nyquist could easily be moved to play with Zetterberg and Brunner -- which could make that line pretty deadly -- and Datsyuk centering Gaborik and Hossa would be...

... just...

Old
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I really doubt Gaborik and Hossa are the reason he sticks around. You also have signed two guys with a history of injuries including total shoulder reconstruction to pricey deals. I hope this isn't the youth movement we have been hearing about, Hossa is even older than Franzen. Gaborik is one year younger than Zetterberg and has played 82 games once in his career.

All this with my now least favorite line around here, so Datsyuk will stick around.... Do we root for the Detroit Pavel Datsyuk's presented by Amway or the Detroit Red Wings? I am honestly getting confused, pulling moves for the sole purpose of hoping he doesn't go to Russia in 2014 or some of the other things sprayed around lately are getting just ridiculous.

Pavel Datsyuk will be on a team in 2014-15 whether it be here or in the KHL. If not here there is a lovely little thread down at the bottom of the page under KHL, there games are also relatively easy to find all over the net. So by all means continue watching him, he has been a great player, but someday maybe soon, maybe in five years he isn't going to be a Wings player. The world will not stop spinning and if you really care about this team a series of moves based on will Pavel sign is a silly thing. Only he knows, we might sign every available Russian or player he likes and he still wants to play with his daughter closer to him and leaves.

He is a great player my second favorite player on the team. But no player is above the team concept or should we be starving to sacrifice everything for. If only we could have traded a young Datsyuk or Zetterberg (less so because he did produce better in the playoffs) for playoff vets that did things to get Yzerman another cup. Surely we owed him that, maybe he would have played another year on his busted knee for us?

You don't tank the next five years or completely blow up a plan because maybe Pavel's going to leave, sorry I just struggle to see this. I understand some of the people around here really are Datsyuk fans and not Wings fans, so great enjoy the great hockey he plays. Treasure the moments he has left in the NHL, and be excited he is going to keep playing in the KHL. But this logic of Datsyuk before the Wings needs to stop, it is getting rather sickening to watch.

Closed Thread