HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Hendricks433

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Nyquist isn't some small weak kid. He's already strong on his skates and I'm sure he'll be even stronger next year. To say he won't last long in the East is ridiculous. It's not like every player on the East is 6'5 240lbs. Small guys like Marchand and Briere and Giroux do well in the East.

I'm not against getting bigger though because we need to, but not everybody has to be huge. Skill is just as important as size.
Agreed but I dont like that most of our team is undersized and our 2 next prospects coming up are small. Franzen is big but doesnt play that way.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
ARCTICCAT24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Nyquist isn't some small weak kid. He's already strong on his skates and I'm sure he'll be even stronger next year. To say he won't last long in the East is ridiculous. It's not like every player on the East is 6'5 240lbs. Small guys like Marchand and Briere and Giroux do well in the East.

I'm not against getting bigger though because we need to, but not everybody has to be huge. Skill is just as important as size.
The big difference between Nyquist and those guys? Those guys all play with an edge and can be physical. Look at Giroux laying out Crosby last year and somewhat fighting him. Nyquist doesn't have that grit to his game. I like the kids skill but I just don't think he will last long in the East.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
I'd trade Filppula, rather then lose him for nothing. I wouldn't give him 5m a year and I don't think he'll make much of a difference between making the playoffs of not, I'm sure Tatar or Nyquist can fill in just fine. (In saying that Babs' would probably just put Cleary, Gator or like Drew Miller on the 1st line to replace him before the kids.)
Yeah, but the question then becomes "Will anyone take him?" He's definitely a versatile and skilled player, but a $5m(+) a year player he is not.

Miller might not do too poorly, relatively speaking; out of those three, he's got the most skill.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I get the sense from Holland he'll only trade for long term options. Like JBo, who would find himself a Wing beyond his current contract if he plays well.

In that scenario, I wouldn't mind him "buying" by the deadline. And I'm not even thrilled with the guys rumored to be on the market, but it is what it is.
I think trading for a rental player at the deadline would just be a desperate attempt to keep the playoff streak alive this year even though we'd be one and done- hope that's off the board for Holland.

I don't care if he makes deals for long term options for a top pairing D and/or top 6 scorer with size during the season or before next, but I think it's gotta happen for the Wings to have any real success in the near future. I would guess he'd wait for the UFA market, but he's been doing his best Rob Deer imitation for the last few years there (and not seeing the occasional 475 ft homer).

KH has plenty of moveable pieces he could say goodbye to. The sea of bottom 6ers could afford to be thinned out a bit (hell, move a few of them and plan on Sheahan being up next year). And for the right player/players, I'm fine with moving a combination of a few of our top prospects. The return just has to be guys on the right side of 30 who can help Z and D along while the next wave of talent arrives over the next few years.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Trade Flip, Cleary, White and Miller at the deadline. Then bring up the kids and lets roll.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Who will we see? Hopefully a string of extra draft picks for this upcoming draft-

Old
03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Now that we're out of each other's division, the Preds and Wings can possibly make trades!

Any chance of something around Blum and Filppula?

Old
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Now that we're out of each other's division, the Preds and Wings can possibly make trades!

Flips wanting five million per year. So who knows. Hope he gets traded don't want him for that kind of money.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

I'd be ok with that. How is Blum's physical game this season?

Old
03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I'd be ok with that. How is Blum's physical game this season?
He isn't incredibly physical, more of a PMD, but he can hold his own. He's in Trotz's doghouse, but IMO still has some great potential.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
RedWinger10

If holland gives Filppula $5M a year ill be so pissed. Abdelkader for $1.8M was enough of a kick in the pills and frankly I'd take that bullet before I'd take the bullet of $5M for Filppula!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
He isn't incredibly physical, more of a PMD, but he can hold his own. He's in Trotz's doghouse, but IMO still has some great potential.
This sounds a lot like the guys they currently have...

Old
03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
RedWinger10

Would now be the time to start talking to New York about Gaborik while we're working with resigning deals with Filppula?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Would anyone do Jurco + Abdelkader + 7th for Martin Havlat?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
The new right wing for Datsyuk? It's an interesting idea, because he wouldn't command a ransom like Gaborik or the other usual suspects you see in the trade rumors.

I haven't watched Havlat much this year and I know health has been a concern of his over his career.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
No, but that is mainly because Havlat is completely unreliable. Guy is always hurt and is pretty inconsistent when he is healthy, I think they would want more anyway.

Is signed for three more years at five million, and you might get a laugh at watching him manage to hurt himself coming over the boards. For as much as people complain about "glassman" Cola, Havlat is the forward version of him.

By the way Havlat is another passer that is reluctant to shoot, for what it is worth.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
The new right wing for Datsyuk? It's an interesting idea, because he wouldn't command a ransom like Gaborik or the other usual suspects you see in the trade rumors.

I haven't watched Havlat much this year and I know health has been a concern of his over his career.
Sharks fans say his value is pretty low this season (3g, 3a in 20 games), and before last year he'd played an average of 77 games over the previous 3 seasons...

And hey, if any team can resurrect his career (for the next season, at least), Detroit can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Is signed for three more years at five million, and you might get a laugh at watching him manage to hurt himself coming over the boards. For as much as people complain about "glassman" Cola, Havlat is the forward version of him.
I don't know, seems like decent value -- as long as Kronwall isn't hitting him in practice.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Havlat seems close to done in my opinion. I wouldn't his contract for another season either.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTICCAT24 View Post
Everyone is so pumped to have guys like Nyquist up but the sad reality is that he has to now go up against guys like Lucic. People don't realize how tough to east is. Sure everyone hates Bertuzzi, but at least he has size. I hate to say it but, Nyquist isn't going to last long next year. He's just too small.

You guys are always bashing me for saying we needs size, and how size doesn't win games. Well, newsflash, size wins games in the East. Theres a reason why teams like Buffalo went out and got John Scott. And Montreal went out and got Sestito.
I read somewhere that Holland actually said in an interview he recognizes that the team needs to get tougher for that division and is planning on doing so at the deadline or in free agency.

Khan says the wings are looking hard Smid from Edmonton. Hes not a huge tough guy but hes the type of player that really makes a team tougher. He'll scrap and play mean and can eat big minutes.Hes the type of guy that really builds team toughness but I wouldnt mind a half decent heavyweight though. They should try to get Bourdeleau from Colorado

Old
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
April 3rd is coming fast and so are the trade rumors. What moves do you see being made? What moves would you make? Who should be put on the trading block? State your reasons if applicable.
One of either Drew Stafford Robyn Regehr and or Jordon Leopold or Smid would be sweet.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Khan says the wings are looking hard Smid from Edmonton. Hes not a huge tough guy but hes the type of player that really makes a team tougher. He'll scrap and play mean and can eat big minutes.Hes the type of guy that really builds team toughness but I wouldnt mind a half decent heavyweight though. They should try to get Bourdeleau from Colorado
Smid looked impressive when they played each other the other week. I imagine he's gonna want to resign in Edmonton but he can probably make more going on the market though

Old
03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
If holland gives Filppula $5M a year ill be so pissed. Abdelkader for $1.8M was enough of a kick in the pills and frankly I'd take that bullet before I'd take the bullet of $5M for Filppula!
I wonder If Filppula would take $4.5 million a year If Ken Holland gave him the max deal at 7 or 8 years, Val would still only be 36 or 37 at the end of his deal and with most likely Datsyuk leaving after next year Filppula becomes pretty Important going forward.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I wonder If Filppula would take $4.5 million a year If Ken Holland gave him the max deal at 7 or 8 years, Val would still only be 36 or 37 at the end of his deal and with most likely Datsyuk leaving after next year Filppula becomes pretty Important going forward.
ONLY 36 or 37???

Jesus Christ.

He's already looked slower this year. He will be our new Dan Cleary 5 years in to that contract, without grit.

I love Flip but 5 years is absolute max. 6 if it's like 4 mil. per or under.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:00 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
One of either Drew Stafford Robyn Regehr and or Jordon Leopold or Smid would be sweet.
Leopold has looked bad this year. Like really bad. Well almost everyone on Buffalo is bad but I think the games I've watched, Leopold had more turnovers than successful passes.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

I tossed out a Flip (probably +) for Horton on the Bruins board, just to see what their fans think.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1361439

Both guys are pending UFA's, but I'd rather have Horton moving forward. Flip would add some speed to their lineup and could play a top 6 wing spot or possibly fill in for Kelly on the 3rd line at C (shhhhh- don't let on that he's not very good playing C!).

B's fans are split on Horton- some think he's less physical lately in coming back from his concussion problems (understandable), while others have the "floater" description for him (hmmm, wasn't familiar with one....). Some people there think that their front office would jump on that deal, others think it's a terrible trade.

Anyway, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat if he signs an extension with us. Horton's production has been down this year and following a shortened season last year, his deal wouldn't be breaking the bank like a Cory Perry deal would. Kenny really loves his homegrown talent so I doubt he'd trade Flip, but I think it would make Detroit a better team.

Closed Thread