HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I read somewhere that Holland actually said in an interview he recognizes that the team needs to get tougher for that division and is planning on doing so at the deadline or in free agency.

Khan says the wings are looking hard Smid from Edmonton. Hes not a huge tough guy but hes the type of player that really makes a team tougher. He'll scrap and play mean and can eat big minutes.Hes the type of guy that really builds team toughness but I wouldnt mind a half decent heavyweight though. They should try to get Bourdeleau from Colorado
Paging Ryan Clowe...

Old
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I tossed out a Flip (probably +) for Horton on the Bruins board, just to see what their fans think.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1361439

Both guys are pending UFA's, but I'd rather have Horton moving forward. Flip would add some speed to their lineup and could play a top 6 wing spot or possibly fill in for Kelly on the 3rd line at C (shhhhh- don't let on that he's not very good playing C!).

B's fans are split on Horton- some think he's less physical lately in coming back from his concussion problems (understandable), while others have the "floater" description for him (hmmm, wasn't familiar with one....). Some people there think that their front office would jump on that deal, others think it's a terrible trade.

Anyway, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat if he signs an extension with us. Horton's production has been down this year and following a shortened season last year, his deal wouldn't be breaking the bank like a Cory Perry deal would. Kenny really loves his homegrown talent so I doubt he'd trade Flip, but I think it would make Detroit a better team.
Horton has had that reputation since his days in Florida...

Old
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Paging Ryan Clowe...
That would be... interesting to say the least.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:22 PM
RedMenace
Red Wings for Life

Quote:
Paging Ryan Clowe...
I'd throw up a little, like some people did for Tootoo...

... but I'd get over it pretty quick if he could get back on track.

Of course, I'd wait until FA starts rather than the Deadline for him.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

Quote:
Horton has had that reputation since his days in Florida...
I'd be willing to take a flyer on him, though, even at the cost of keeping Flip. Big guy, sporadically physical, RH shot who will score between 20-30 goals every season... works for me. Probably works for Datsyuk, too

I think the worst case scenario (other than another severe concussion) is that he ends up being a younger Franzen- Horton was pretty good in the playoffs for the B's in 2011. But I think it's possible he's still making his way back from his latest concussion and could get back to his full game next year.

I also like that he'd be much cheaper than Perry, to the point where KH would still have $$ to use on D. That wouldn't suck.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I read somewhere that Holland actually said in an interview he recognizes that the team needs to get tougher for that division and is planning on doing so at the deadline or in free agency.
Sign Semin. Problem solved.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Sign Semin. Problem solved.
Holland had his chance this past summer to get Semin and he did nothing, I cant see him wanting Semin now.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Holland had his chance this past summer to get Semin and he did nothing, I cant see him wanting Semin now.
And I can't see Semin wanting to leave Carolina if he stays in the NHL. He's got the primary role he always wanted now, he's paid like one too. Then again you never know with that man.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
And I can't see Semin wanting to leave Carolina if he stays in the NHL. He's got the primary role he always wanted now, he's paid like one too. Then again you never know with that man.
I agree I think that Semin will be signing a long term deal there In Carolina he has It made, Like you said he's got the primary role that he's been looking for.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Some interesting thoughts from Friedman.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
we like our team*

clowe is just as much of a perimeter player as flip is

Old
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I'd be willing to take a flyer on him, though, even at the cost of keeping Flip. Big guy, sporadically physical, RH shot who will score between 20-30 goals every season... works for me. Probably works for Datsyuk, too

I think the worst case scenario (other than another severe concussion) is that he ends up being a younger Franzen- Horton was pretty good in the playoffs for the B's in 2011. But I think it's possible he's still making his way back from his latest concussion and could get back to his full game next year.

I also like that he'd be much cheaper than Perry, to the point where KH would still have $$ to use on D. That wouldn't suck.
I'm not against signing Horton - even with the floater label and the concussion issues - just pointing out that the "floater" tag is nothing new.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
This made me sad:

Quote:
25. One scout on Ottawa: "It's amazing how much they look like Detroit, the way they pressure the puck and support it." The Paul MacLean influence, of course.
Considering that Ottawa is without their #1 Dman and the reigning Norris winner, their #1 goaltender, and their #1 center, and 2/3 of their top scorers are 38 and 40, its ridiculous that they're still in the playoff picture with a 7 point cushion.

With McLellan and Babcock fumbling about with arguably better rosters (certainly so with Ottawa's current injuries), its starting to look like MacLean might have been the real brains behind the Wings bench.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Paging Ryan Clowe...
As long as he's ok with a contract with around the same value he'd be a hell of an addition. Corey perry would also be a great option for adding big and physical play.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:51 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 165
One of three things is going to happen at deadline/UFA time:

1. Wings dump a bunch of young forwards (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Frk, etc) and go for broke this year.

2. Wings dump a bunch of dead weight (Cleary, Bert, Sammy, Emmerton? Abdelkader? Miller?) and make room for young forwards.

3. Wings sit on all these young forwards until they're 25 and then lose them all on waivers.

Something's gotta give.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Reports leaking Perry has re-signed in Anaheim for the same as Getzlaf.

I expect it is over on the main trade board, but NHL network was just talking about it.

The really only big free agent left is now gone.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Not the exact same as Getzlaf I guess.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Corey Perry's 8 year deal with ANA is $8.625M AAV.
That is steep especially considering that is probably him "taking a discount" at that figure.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Reports leaking Perry has re-signed in Anaheim for the same as Getzlaf.

I expect it is over on the main trade board, but NHL network was just talking about it.

The really only big free agent left is now gone.

Maybe we can trade Flip for a hella lot more now?

Still think we should make a run at Gaborik.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
RedWinger10

No Corey Perry for us. He just signed with Aneheim for 8 more years.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I wonder if Bobby Ryan is available now with this signing. That's just insane, and their depth is pretty sapped from it because of cap implications.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I wonder if Bobby Ryan is available now with this signing. That's just insane, and their depth is pretty sapped from it because of cap implications.
Yeah that's gonna be tough to retain other guys like Ryan. Maybe the door just opened on him.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Most of these guys two paychecks come from the disappearance of Selanne and Koivu from the payroll next year, when they will go with AHL options.

Now I don't think there is anyway they can sign Ryan in a couple years, but that isn't a problem budget wise right away. We know where the 6 (3 million each) million boost for these two is coming from and that is the two older stars disappearing.

I do think they will look to dump Hiller if they are moving a player with a bigger salary and go with Fasth.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Most of these guys two paychecks come from the disappearance of Selanne and Koivu from the payroll next year, when they will go with AHL options.

Now I don't think there is anyway they can sign Ryan in a couple years, but that isn't a problem budget wise right away. We know where the 6 (3 million each) million boost for these two is coming from and that is the two older stars disappearing.

I do think they will look to dump Hiller if they are moving a player with a bigger salary and go with Fasth.
Even with two guys disappearing, they'll only have an average of $1.6 million per person to spend on filling their remaining roster spots, and will have to heavily rely on youngsters, of which their scoring depth will surely take a hit (not to mention they still don't have a legit #2 Center).

Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Even with two guys disappearing, they'll only have an average of $1.6 million per person to spend on filling their remaining roster spots, and will have to heavily rely on youngsters, of which their scoring depth will surely take a hit (not to mention they still don't have a legit #2 Center).
They have been playing both Ryan or Cogliano there some.

The really only expensive RFA they could have is Palmieri. It is pretty easy to see how they fill it out. Lindholm is up to replace Lydman. There top six is basically locked in, they have 7 D locked in although Lindholm and Vatanen make more than the million.

But everyone else plays cheap positions that they need to get done. This seems pretty easy when you cruise their organizational sheet.

They can shop Hiller or Ryan but won't be truly pressured to move one unless they like the offer. So the good way to be shopping them.

What is the likely impact of letting Perry walk for nothing or trading him in the middle of a Cup run looking season at the gate and in the community? Probably worse stuff, they can afford this in my opinion even if everyone is excitedly circling Ryan.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
They have been playing both Ryan or Cogliano there some.

The really only expensive RFA they could have is Palmieri. It is pretty easy to see how they fill it out. Lindholm is up to replace Lydman. There top six is basically locked in, they have 7 D locked in although Lindholm and Vatanen make more than the million.

But everyone else plays cheap positions that they need to get done. This seems pretty easy when you cruise their organizational sheet.

They can shop Hiller or Ryan but won't be truly pressured to move one unless they like the offer. So the good way to be shopping them.

What is the likely impact of letting Perry walk for nothing or trading him in the middle of a Cup run looking season at the gate and in the community? Probably worse stuff, they can afford this in my opinion even if everyone is excitedly circling Ryan.
yeah, I think they can afford it, too. the only thing that could throw a wrench into it is some sort of internal cap, but if the owner approved the Perry deal, you have to assume they are okay spending a few bucks next year. I have to wonder if we're going to see team salary structures shift a bit with those10+ year deals no longer an option and cap hits for top players likely going up.