HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the NW now the worst division?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
easty11

vCash: 500
Although there's a fair amount of individual talent in the Southeast (Staal and co., Ovechkin and co., Stamkos and co.) it's still hard to argue that this is not the worst division in hockey right now. I could see all three of these teams (Canes, Caps, Lightning) picking it up though. If they do, Northwest is bar none the worst in the league, not even close.

easty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Tonight we had 6 players missing (3 you mentioned + Wilson, Hunwick, and Mitchell), and now going forward we won't have Johnson, Mcleod, and possibly Duchene depending how he does over the next couple days.

Avs were never a good team but aren't as bad as they're going to play this year

I think the Flames and Minny will both get it together, but we'll see. I think its pretty close with the SE for worst.
I agree with this post. And just to add in Calgary has lost Bärtschi, Cammalleri, Kipper, and more importantly Backlund. We lost quite a bit of offensive presence with these injuries, and of course who started the season in terrible fashion.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I know the OP won't be saying this after the draft when Colorado picks Jones, Calgary picks MacKinnon, and Edmonton picks Pulock.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

Edmonton, Minnesota and Colorado have some impressive young talent and will raise the level of play in the division sharply over the next couple years. Injuries have hurt the Avs alot and Minnesota has alot of new players learning to play together. Edmonton is just still too young, but they're progressing.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

The Avs and Flames are currently 27th and 26th respectively in the league, not sure how that makes them "Firmly Planted in the bottom 2"

And in fact 2 of the 3 teams behind them are from the SE.

SE is still worse, Avs and Flames are suffering major injuries, especially the Avs. We would potentially have 5-6 of our Top 6/Top 4 missing next game, were already without 3 for certain.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

I'd say SE. One day, you are out of playoff picture and next thing you know is now you have home ice advantage for playoffs.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I know the OP won't be saying this after the draft when Colorado picks Jones, Calgary picks MacKinnon, and Edmonton picks Pulock.
If you aren't being sarcastic, I think we have ample evidence that picking high in a draft is not good enough to change the direction of a team. In fact, evidence of this exists within the NW division.

02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

I'd say the SE is worse but the NW is definitely 2nd worst.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If you aren't being sarcastic, I think we have ample evidence that picking high in a draft is not good enough to change the direction of a team. In fact, evidence of this exists within the NW division.
It takes time to do it right. Ample evidence doesn't exist yet.

Mcworraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
If one team completely dominates the rest of the division, that division as a whole is stronger? How does that make any sense?

Wouldn't the division be stronger if there are at least 2-3 teams that could win the division (ala: the Atlantic, the Central, etc)?
It does mean that a division is stronger when they have a team that dominates it's our of division games too. No one in the SouthEast is close to Vancouver in that regard

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
blendini

Carolina
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg
Florida
Washington

blendini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:14 PM
CanucksSayEh

Canucks just kinda put their foot on the heads of the other 3 and push em into the basement.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

It's sad, before the lockout, the Northwest were arguably the best division. Colorado and Vancouver were contenders year after year while the other 3 were always bubble teams.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Prototype1x

I feel like injuries are only a part of the excuse for these teams, while it certainly effects how you sit in the standings. one of the things that makes a good team thrive is when players go down, others step up and fill that role. either by group effort, or singular. and while both the Flames and Wild have lineups while healthy can push for a playoff spot. they dont have the depth to fill the holes. in my mind that is the difference between good teams and mediocre ones.

in the battle between SE and NW (while healthy)

Vancouver, Minny, Calgary and Edmonton making the playoffs all looked reasonable at the beggining of the year, not all of them, but not too many people would be shocked, where as Colorado would have been little more surprising

Washington, Carolina, Tampa all seemed like the options for make it in the SE
while Florida and Winnipeg were a little more on the outside looking in

Prototype1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Bloc
Rookie User

Vancouver and possibly Edmonton have reasonable playoff hopes, yet the other three teams are all pretty terrible. I'd say it's the worst division.

Bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloc View Post
Vancouver and possibly Edmonton have reasonable playoff hopes, yet the other three teams are all pretty terrible. I'd say it's the worst division.
Pretty sure Edmonton is actually tied with one of those "pretty terrible" teams there, big guy. Not sure why you make the cut off at them, rather than after the top-3.

tyratoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Bloc
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Pretty sure Edmonton is actually tied with one of those "pretty terrible" teams there, big guy. Not sure why you make the cut off at them, rather than after the top-3.
No, I mean Vancouver is statiscally good as well as good on the ice. Though the oilers don't look great on paper, I believe they'll be able to pull through in time for the playoffs, unlike Minnesota.

Bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM
deckercky

I think Minnesota is much more likely to make the playoffs. They were basically a bubble team until injuries hit last year, and they added Suter and Parise. They're lacking a few pieces on the back end, but there's plenty there to be a playoff team.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Lux Aurumque*

The NW is definitely the worst in the league. The SE at least has three competent teams in Tampa, Carolina and Winnipeg. The NW only has Vancouver.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
The NW is definitely the worst in the league. The SE at least has three competent teams in Tampa, Carolina and Winnipeg. The NW only has Vancouver.

The SE division has statistically the worst team in the league, and the division leader with the least amount of points. If your going to call Winnipeg a competent team then you have to put the likes of Edmonton, Minnesota and even Calgary in that same category. Colorado is just as good, if not better than Winnipeg when fully healthy as well.

To this point the SE is the worst division in hockey.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
What makes Tampa, Carolina and Winnipeg 'competent'? I mean, it's easy to answer for Vancouver since they've got depth and talent coming out the wazoo (whether I like it or not) but how is Minnesota at the very least not competent either? Calgary/Edmonton/Colorado while we're at it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

It has been one of the worst for like 5 years now. Vancouver has loaded up on points and President's trophies playing those teams. Detroit did the same thing for years in the central.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
It takes time to do it right. Ample evidence doesn't exist yet.
Before the season this was "the year", everyone had a year under their belt ect, how the thoughts have changed.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
What makes Tampa, Carolina and Winnipeg 'competent'? I mean, it's easy to answer for Vancouver since they've got depth and talent coming out the wazoo (whether I like it or not) but how is Minnesota at the very least not competent either? Calgary/Edmonton/Colorado while we're at it.
This.

Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado are just as good, if not better than Carolina, Tampa, Winnipeg, Washington and Florida.

The Canucks are a level above them all.

The Southeast is the worst division in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
It has been one of the worst for like 5 years now. Vancouver has loaded up on points and President's trophies playing those teams. Detroit did the same thing for years in the central.

Yes you're right. The Canucks and the Red Wings were borderline playoff teams at best, that fed off weak divisions. They fed off their divisions so much that it led them to 3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances in the past 5 years.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
What makes Tampa, Carolina, or Winnipeg any more competent than Minnesota, Edmonton, Colorado?

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote