HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ECHL surpasses 3,000,000 attendees for 20th consecutive season

Old
02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
ECHL surpasses 3,000,000 attendees for 20th consecutive season

http://www.echl.com/echl-attendance-...n-mark-p182104

Quote:
The ECHL surpassed the three-million mark in attendance over the weekend, marking the 20th consecutive season that over three million fans have attended ECHL games. Through 652 games, the ECHL is averaging 4,663 fans per game, an increase of 11.6 percent over the same point in the season last year.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
epo

The first time they hit 3M occurred when the season expanded from 480 to 646 regular season games. They now play 828 games. 3M isn't really significant now.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:25 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
The first time they hit 3M occurred when the season expanded from 480 to 646 regular season games. They now play 828 games. 3M isn't really significant now.
In the OP quote: "Through 652 games"

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:30 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Maybe it's time to turn some ECHL teams into AHL teams like Ontario, Stockton, and Orlando.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
Maybe it's time to turn some ECHL teams into AHL teams like Ontario, Stockton, and Orlando.
The distinction seems pretty arbitrary to me. It has more to do with the financial stability of the organization than anything. Being the main feeder league for the NHL, you want to be fairly sure that the AHL teams will still be there in 5 years.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

One of the key figures I look at is attendance. As a ECHL team, if you are averaging more than half of what a AHL team draws, then you should be a good candidate to land a AHL team. Stockton and Ontario have been tops for a while and plus Orlando use to have a IHL team. I'm sure these cities have the financial stability.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
One of the key figures I look at is attendance. As a ECHL team, if you are averaging more than half of what a AHL team draws, then you should be a good candidate to land a AHL team. Stockton and Ontario have been tops for a while and plus Orlando use to have a IHL team. I'm sure these cities have the financial stability.
Ontario and Orlando would make sense to me. Orlando in particular would help with alignment issues, since it kind of splits the difference between the Texas teams and the NC/VA teams. It would be a good "hub" for road trips by teams swinging through the southeast. I'd look at the Atlanta area as well, for the same reason, possibly forming the foundation of a division centered on GA/FL.

Stockton is a question mark to me... they would really be out there on an island with only Abbotsford within 1000 miles and the next closest team being OKC over 1500 miles away. That just seems like an excessive amount of travel, and they wouldn't be able to lean on their current CA/NV division rivals for home attendance. Seems like it might sabotage their franchise and cost the other teams a lot of money at the same time.

The minor leagues are just so screwy geographically. In a perfect world it would be better to completely re-align and have 2 regional leagues per "A" tier, rather than attempting to have these big national leagues that don't make much money due largely to travel costs.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Or Gwinnett

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote