HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gary Bettman

View Poll Results: What grade do you give Gary Bettman?
A 26 57.78%
B 17 37.78%
C 2 4.44%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-10-2015, 11:56 AM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Gary Bettman

Poll is for Coyotes Fans only.

Give your take on Gary Bettman and grade his overall performance. You can include his performance with the Coyotes over the years in your grade.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2015, 11:59 AM
moosemeister

vCash: 500
He's the real MVP

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeister View Post
He's the real MVP
Our only one.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Mosby
Howl On

The best thing to ever happen to the NHL.

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Ron*
Bandwagon Since 1967

Dude is incredibly awesome.

I especially enjoyed his little speeches in June 2012 and June 2014. Hopefully, we can see one again this season.

Ron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 01:49 PM
The Grocery Stick
AZDomiNation

I am very challenged to like him but gave him an "A". He's been good for the NHL and for the Coyotes.

The Grocery Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Ethereal Whisper
A Frozen Heart

vCash: 464
Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal Whisper
I think he's done a great job with the NHL but drop him to a B for once having Brendan Shanahan as the head of the department of player safety. That's more a knock against Shanahan but Bettman's the guy who hired him on.

I'm not still bitter about the Torres suspension. Not at all.

She lost him, but found herself. And somehow that was everything.
Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 07:14 PM
zerekstar

He is good for the game but one of the most arrogant guys around. I don't know why but he also reminds me of Plankton on Sponge Bob. (Yeah I have kids.) But I can't think of anyone better for the job. His arrogance gives him the attitude he needs to make the tough decisions.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
jacobhockey13
Team Domingue

vCash: 50
A+

"Arizona is the only hockey place where Wayne Gretzky gets booed and Gary Bettman gets cheered."

jacobhockey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 07:27 PM
jacobhockey13
Team Domingue

vCash: 50
Unrelated to the Coyotes, I think he's also done a good job in general. Going away from ESPN was a great decision (NBC is a great fit), he hasn't cheapened the jerseys (yet) by putting advertising on them, and the on-ice product is great (reemphasize obstruction though please). Most people just like to hate Bettman without reasons. I understand why people don't like Seling, Stern, Goodel; but Bettman really hasn't done anything bad to hockey. I admit he can come off as a bit imperious, but I think it's elevated by people's pre-formed perceptions of him.

jacobhockey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Ethereal Whisper
A Frozen Heart

vCash: 464
Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal Whisper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhockey13 View Post
Unrelated to the Coyotes, I think he's also done a good job in general. Going away from ESPN was a great decision (NBC is a great fit), he hasn't cheapened the jerseys (yet) by putting advertising on them, and the on-ice product is great (reemphasize obstruction though please). Most people just like to hate Bettman without reasons. I understand why people don't like Seling, Stern, Goodel; but Bettman really hasn't done anything bad to hockey. I admit he can come off as a bit imperious, but I think it's elevated by people's pre-formed perceptions of him.
Hockey's a strange sport with all these "traditionalist" fans. That may have something to do with it. Bettman has done a great job of adapting the sport to the modern era.

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 09:13 PM
0point1
Go Yotes, Go Cats

vCash: 366
Most of the Gary Bettman hate comes from our neighbors to the north. Mostly pissed about the teams that left, that more US teams were added, and that he didn't put 10 new teams in Canada.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Muppet
Lose for Matthews

vCash: 934
Uncle Gary is best uncle.

Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2015, 09:54 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Uncle Gary only existed for Pittsburgh.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 04:28 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0point1 View Post
Most of the Gary Bettman hate comes from our neighbors to the north. Mostly pissed about the teams that left, that more US teams were added, and that he didn't put 10 new teams in Canada.
aka "It's our game!" syndrome.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 06:30 AM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0point1 View Post
Yeah, the Bettman hate does come from Canadians because of the two teams we lost. The fact that the Jets are back and the Nordiques will soon be too shows that those really were mistakes on Bettman's part.

I don't think there's any anger about US teams that were added or not adding more Canadian teams. If there is anger from these things it probably relates to the deep scars caused by Wpg/QC relocation.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 07:02 AM
samabam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Yeah, the Bettman hate does come from Canadians because of the two teams we lost. The fact that the Jets are back and the Nordiques will soon be too shows that those really were mistakes on Bettman's part.
I still think it's wrong to say, that those were mistakes on Bettman's part. Bettman is paid to do the will of the owners, it's not like he gave the thumbs down for the Nordiques and Jets personally.

I like Gary Bettman, but that's mostly because I like the way he defuses boos.
I actually look forward to every draft just to see how at the beginning he is booed by the crowd but turns it around pretty quickly. He just seems witty and I admire that.

samabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 11:28 AM
awfulwaffle

Uncle Gary has been the best thing for hockey. While I don't like the length of the NBC deal, hockey has grown and become more profitable under him, by a ton. Viewership seems to be rising year over year, and youth hockey is picking up in a lot of places which in turn should lead to more fans down the road. I understand people are upset they don't have a team, but there can't be a team in every city in North America. Love what he's done, and I'm excited about the future for hockey.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Kaizen

Quote:

I don't think there's any anger about US teams that were added or not adding more Canadian teams. If there is anger from these things it probably relates to the deep scars caused by Wpg/QC relocation.
Apples and oranges, man. So many things have changed since the Jets and Nords went south. I'm sure someone will chime in ad nauseam with regard to how and why the relocations occurred but suffice to say if you're throwing Bettman under the bus you're playing the revisionist history game.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 11:53 AM
lanky

I'm not comparing apples to oranges. I'm actually not making any comparison at all. Just explaining that the Bettman hate is a result of moving the Jets and Nordiques. AZ fans have had to deal with a lot of that misguided hate and that sucks.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 05:49 PM
0point1
Go Yotes, Go Cats

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by samabam View Post
I like Gary Bettman, but that's mostly because I like the way he defuses boos.
I actually look forward to every draft just to see how at the beginning he is booed by the crowd but turns it around pretty quickly. He just seems witty and I admire that.
The look on his face when he hears the boos is epic. He handles it perfectly.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Bonsai Tree
Turning a new leaf

Quote:
Bull. There was no saving either club. Two Canadian cities which refused to spend the money to keep their teams.

Quote:
Those who see things that way have both a forgiving nature and a selective memory.

Bonsai Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Jagged Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhockey13 View Post
A+

"Arizona is the only hockey place where Wayne Gretzky gets booed and Gary Bettman gets cheered."
Amen!

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2015, 01:10 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Like Goodell, it doesn't matter if he's a total clown (though he happens to not be) because he has been terrific for business. And he's about to print a billion dollars of extra money that doesn't have to be shared with the players for the owners. The Count isn't going anywhere.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Bonsai Tree
Turning a new leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Like Goodell, it doesn't matter if he's a total clown (though he happens to not be) because he has been terrific for business. And he's about to print a billion dollars of extra money that doesn't have to be shared with the players for the owners. The Count isn't going anywhere.
NFL team values are up 34% over the past year. Goodell isn't going anywhere either.

Bonsai Tree is offline   Reply With Quote