Yeah people fail to remember that Horcoff plays an important part on this team. Sure, he makes twice what he should, but he actually IS useful to the team.
1) He has been under 50% on the dot his last three years before thus year.
2) He has been the lynch pin of the worst hockey in Oiler history getting more ice time than any other forward for about 6 years in a row.
3) Despite getting mountains of pp ice time he went about 64 games in a row with out scoring a pp goal until someone banked on in off his skate a few games ago.
4) He has 4 GWG in his last 292 games spanning 4 seasons plus, including none last year and none so far this year.
5) His plus minuses the last 4 years are -2, -23, -1, -29
6) He has been the highest paid player on the team by a lot for years now.
7) He does not hit or stand up for his teammates to any extent at all.
8) He has almost never played as a 3rd liner in his career. his 'good' 3rd line stats of 12 goals or so and 25 assists were all achieved with 1st line minutes, 1st line pp time and more ice time than any other forwards most often.
9) Despite probably being among the leaders in pk time on ice he has zero short handed goals in the last 7 years.
10) As a captain he never takes personal responsibility for poor play. Often is talking about the young players when things are not going well.
11) Has never been benched in all of these years despite going long periods of time with just awful performances.
At this point in time his worst feature by far is the fact that he is the captain of the team. Other than showing that it is important to get in good shape he has all the wrong elements for being a captain.
As for the 3rd liner comments. I'll wait until the guy actually plays a half year of 3rd line before every declaring him a good 3rd line player.