HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morning Thoughts, 101

Old
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Bones45
I want my $2!

vCash: 500
Morning Thoughts, 101

You can take the last 4 pages of posts in the GDT thread, and match them up against any random loss, from 5 year ago, and they would fit in perfectly. Nothing has changed in 5 years. NOTHING.

Ok.. the player names would change, but its the same problems, same failures.

Guys -- I beg you -- for your own sanity -- stop insisting that "we are about to turn a corner" -- WE AREN'T. If we happen to win 2-3 in a row, WE AREN'T GETTING BETTER.

We are a horrible team, because the people running it, have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. How can you have first round picks for YEARS ON END, and have ONE GUY TO SHOW FOR IT??

Until this team has proper ownership and management ( SNOW AND WANG, I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU),

THEY WILL BE HORRIBLE.

And to keep playing Dipietro is an embarrassment to Isles fans intelligence. Anyone who watches him play, should be able to see that he is slow, uninspired, in pain, or just unable to keep up. Being able to line up with a shooter and butterfly, and having a puck hit him in his logo is the extent of his ability. This has nothing to do with "hating on DP" rather just common sense. If you can watch him play and seriously maintain your opinion that he is a solid NHL goalie, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. He exemplifies everything that is wrong with this organization.

Bones' Rules to having the Isles suck less (in order of need):

1. New ownership who knows hockey and will put money into the team.
2. New GM, who actually knows the job, not an ex-goalie.
3. A coach who knows HOW TO ****ING MOTIVATE HIS PLAYERS.
4. Stuff DP in a dumpster, I never want to see him on the ice or in the arena ever again.
5. Get some toughness and mental discipline
6. Surround current "talent" (sorry JT, you are the exception) with some players who can help them mature.

Until at least half these items are done, this team will continue to be the laughingstock of the NHL. New arena or not.

Let me ask you this. If you were a free agent, would YOU want to come to the Islanders?

A resounding "NO" is the answer. What a mess.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Great Post! To make the Isles games more tolerable do this:

-Laugh at the ineptitude
-Do not watch an entire game. This is what I do, I have the game on as backround noise (e.g. At the gym, cooking dinner, doing the jobs of life). Believe me it helps! I used to live and die with this team between 91-until we hired a backup goalie as GM, every loss would make me miserable but now I just take it in stride. I still go to both games against the Caps down here but get drunk while there so I don't care as much.

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:07 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
You can take the last 4 pages of posts in the GDT thread, and match them up against any random loss, from 5 year ago, and they would fit in perfectly. Nothing has changed in 5 years. NOTHING.

Guys -- I beg you -- for your own sanity -- stop insisting that "we are about to turn a corner" -- WE AREN'T. If we happen to win 2-3 in a row, WE AREN'T GETTING BETTER.

We are a horrible team, because the people running it, have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. How can you have first round picks for YEARS ON END, and have ONE GUY TO SHOW FOR IT??

Until this team has proper ownership and management ( SNOW AND WANG, I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU),

THEY WILL BE HORRIBLE.

And to keep playing Dipietro is an embarrassment to Isles fans intelligence. Anyone who watches him play, should be able to see that he is slow, uninspired, in pain, or just unable to keep up. Being able to line up with a shooter and butterfly, and having a puck hit him in his logo is the extent of his ability. This has nothing to do with "hating on DP" rather just common sense. If you can watch him play and seriously maintain your opinion that he is a solid NHL goalie, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. He exemplifies everything that is wrong with this organization.

4. Stuff DP in a dumpster, I never want to see him on the ice or in the arena ever again.
6. Surround current "talent" (sorry JT, you are the exception) with some players who can help them mature.

Until at least half these items are done, this team will continue to be the laughingstock of the NHL. New arena or not.

Let me ask you this. If you were a free agent, would YOU want to come to the Islanders?

Unfortunately...this is all very true, excellent post and extremely depressing all at the same time. I also understand that the Thomas deal gained "Cap flexibility"....but IMO the flexibility part is so they can dump salary, make the team even worst, add a pick and stay above the Cap Floor.....Pitiful

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:

THEY WILL BE HORRIBLE.

Great post. I've been saying this for a while now...it's nothing short of ridiculous. Their only step forward is JT (who they got from finishing in last place).

edit: the only thing I disagree with is a coach having to motivate players. They're professionals who get paid millions of dollars-that should be motivation enough. They're big boys-they shouldn't need little pow-wows for motivation.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
SS, coaches are responsible for motivating and readying the team for each game. That is true in every sport. Individuals also have to hold themselves responsible, but when your team is lacking, the coach is the first one to take the hit.

I would expand the list of players I would keep to Hamonic and some others, but they probably would benefit from a shakeup trade at this point. But that doesn't fit the plan to keep it at the cap floor, so it won't happen.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
John Tavares deserves better than this crap. There, I said it.

It's absolutely shameful that a guy gives 110% of his effort night in and out and is always working on making himself better and ownership and his teammates just can't match it.

Marlo Stanfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Great post. I've been saying this for a while now...it's nothing short of ridiculous. Their only step forward is JT (who they got from finishing in last place).

edit: the only thing I disagree with is a coach having to motivate players. They're professionals who get paid millions of dollars-that should be motivation enough. They're big boys-they shouldn't need little pow-wows for motivation.
the 1979-83 Isles needed a coach to motivate them.

A coach has to get them hitting, staying tight, opening up, loosening up....Arbour motivated every guy in his own specific way like A JEDI.

Cappy and the Boston Genital Stranglers before him did not motivate anyone. The morale on the bench is horrible {see: JT, Hamonic} and I don't see any picking up and turning the game around with hitting or tighter checking.....only the same sending wingers down the ice, pass to the defense 9 feet from the net fr the shot, then go back and pretend you can play defensively.

A better coach picks the guys up and changes play to counter the opponent and stay in games if not take them.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
LongIslandCircus

It's sad, but I really agree with this. Garth Snow's motivation revolves around preserving his job. Just look at this organization's management in recent years and ask yourself who is still apart of it? Any individual that pushes for results/winning/respect has been sent packing....the remaining crop are individuals who simply value there job and paycheck. Does anyone think it's an absolute travesty that people like Lafontaine and Trottier are not a part of this franchise anymore?

I'm sorry, but I am completely done with Snow's lack of respect towards this team and its fanbase. Yet we still have claims about how well he has "stuck with the rebuild". Something needs to be made clear.....any goof following this business model would have accomplished the exact same results (which essentially are nothing).

Our prospect pool? Ya it's deep, but it's deep with a bunch of names that mean **** unless they make this roster. How can you not load up your prospect pool when you get a top 5 pick every single year anyways? Add to that how we usually dump NHL talent for additional 2nd rounders at the trade deadline and WOW...the cupboards full!! Garth must be a genius

Garth finds gems that other teams gave up on? Yes he has landed some regulars on this roster, but I am not about to give him credit when he is continuously digging through the scrap heap instead of trying to land PROVEN quality talent. If you go 5 straight years of grabbing every highly drafted reject and sticking them into a top 6 role, you're bound to find a couple that stick.

He's stuck to the plan? Yes he has....and what a plan it was. Outside Tavares, this team is still a farce.

Anyways there is my rant, I figured it would fit in this thread nicely. Whether you agree with it or not, we ALL deserve better than this.

Last edited by LongIslandCircus: 02-12-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
The players motivate themselves as individuals. A coach motivates the team as a whole.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I tend to mostly agree.

I feel the corner is about to be turned.

And then there's always the Brooklyn X factor.

To me, the Brooklyn X factor is a big player as to if the corner is being turned.

The Isles are making me want to NOT watch hockey.
Since I've moved to Raleigh, the Isles have been #1 and the 'Canes #1a. I've tried many many times to follow the 'Canes as closely as I've followed the Isles. I just can't.

Looks like I might have to give it another shot.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
periferal

Quote:

THEY WILL BE HORRIBLE.

Dude...

I don't know you and I love you. Why? Because I think I found someone who's as angry as I am about the state of this team. It's good not to feel alone.

As for your list of rules...Just make #1 happen and the rest will sort themselves out.

Every time I even think about the Islanders I want to roll charles wang down a mountain.

And for those of you that think wang saved the team in 2001 or that Barclay's Center is going to solve our problems...Get a freakin' clue would you please. Sanjay Kumar also through wang was doing a good job. I know the truth hurts, but being in denial helps no one. I'd rather you start burning crosses outside of wang's home than thank him for anything he's ever done.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
the 1979-83 Isles needed a coach to motivate them.

A coach has to get them hitting, staying tight, opening up, loosening up....Arbour motivated every guy in his own specific way like A JEDI.

Cappy and the Boston Genital Stranglers before him did not motivate anyone. The morale on the bench is horrible {see: JT, Hamonic} and I don't see any picking up and turning the game around with hitting or tighter checking.....only the same sending wingers down the ice, pass to the defense 9 feet from the net fr the shot, then go back and pretend you can play defensively.

A better coach picks the guys up and changes play to counter the opponent and stay in games if not take them.
Thank you. Well said.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Satan'sIsland81

No offense, but when somebody makes a venting/complaining thread that focuses 75% on Dipietro, it is hard for me to take it seriously. DiPi may have been mediocre at best yesterday and may stink overall, but to blame this team's problems on a guy who played for the second time in 12 games is just bordering on infatuation at an insane level. There are so many things to complain about with this organization, from the cheap idiot owner to the clown/puppet GM...very VERY far down that list is the backup goalie playing once every 6 or 7 games.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
coachdny

Blue jackets fired GM Howson...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415849

You think Wang can grow a pair of .... .

coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
John Tavares deserves better than this crap. There, I said it.

It's absolutely shameful that a guy gives 110% of his effort night in and out and is always working on making himself better and ownership and his teammates just can't match it.
agreed 1000%. **** Wang and **** Snow. Moreso Wang. Cheap *******.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdny View Post

Grow a pair to do what? Snow is doing exactly what Wang wants.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Exactly. He wants Snow to do exactly what he is doing. Wang is a loser.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdny View Post

Put a restraining order against Howson. I don't want him a mile within the Isles.

Marlo Stanfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:37 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Put a restraining order against Howson. I don't want him a mile within the Isles.
You dont have to worry. Snow isnt going anywhere.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Yes, exactly.

I don't know how people still don't understand this.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
coachdny

This was posted on {MOD EDIT}... a open letter from Snow... take a look at the names.. Someone needs to send this to SNOW and ask him if he stayed true to his words ?!!!!???

Dear Islanders Fans everywhere,

I understand last Tuesday was an interesting day for you, to say the least. I'm a sports fan, too. My head was spinning for a while there. I can only imagine how you guys felt.

But now that the dust has settled and we're moving on, I wanted to reach out to you.

First off, thanks for your kindness and support during my four seasons as an Islanders player. I loved playing here, and so much of that was because of you. Long Island is a special place. My wife Erica, son Glenn and I have cherished our time here and plan on being Long Islanders for a long time.

To that end, and just as importantly, I'm not going to stand for anyone taking shots at this franchise. My philosophy during my 13 years as a player was that members of a team back each other up. It's one of the many reasons why I'm so happy to get to work with Ted Nolan. That's the way Ted's teams play. Starting in October, I have no doubt that you're going to be excited and proud to root for this Islanders team.

My philosophy as a manager is the same. Now, I don't want you to think I'm going to be a bully with the press or heckling fans. That's not my style and I accept it as part of the business. But I will make my feelings clear at all times: on or off the ice, don't take a cheap shot at our guys.

I need you to know that I'm counting on Islander fans to continue to back us up during the highs and lows. Let's not forget where the Islanders were before Charles Wang saved the franchise because he felt it was right for Long Island. Don't forget that this team went two presidential terms not making the playoffs, often not even able to compete, before Charles took over. After making the playoffs three years in a row, we fell short last season. This summer we added several quality veterans and our work is not yet done. Our one and only goal is to contend for a Stanley Cup, but we can't do it without you.

When the puck drops on October 5 in Phoenix, what happens on the ice will be about Coach Nolan, Rick DiPietro, Yash and Miro and the rest of the players. When we open at home before a packed Coliseum crowd of Islanders faithful on October 14, it will be the home debuts of Brendan Witt (I hated watching him throttle my guys!), Chris Simon (ditto), Mike Sillinger, Tom Poti - and who knows who else?

I believed this as a player and believe this as a manager: the Islanders are about the men wearing the orange and blue and the map of Long Island on their crest. As a sports fan like you, I love the home-grown guys. That's why Jeter and Bernie are immortal Yankees, why David Wright and Jose Reyes are so dear to the hearts of Mets fans. Of course, we love all of our Islanders, but how can you not be excited about DiPietro, Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra, Petteri Nokelainen, Jeremy Colliton, Kyle Okposo, Blake Comeau, Sean Bergenheim, Chris Campoli, and so many others.

I shared the same ice surface with all of them. Take my word for it. Something special is happening here. Thanks to our scouts, the present and future are very promising.

Ted Nolan, Bryan Trottier and the rest of our staff are going to present a team that battles hard for each other and for the Islanders' crest. Our team will be a combination of our draft picks developed properly and veterans leading the way. Just as important, we will have players who want to be here, players proud to be Islanders and players that will get involved in our community.

I understand that I need to earn your confidence and respect over time. Over the next few weeks, I want to hear from Islander fans. I've asked the team to set up an email address where you can send questions and I'll answer as many as I can on the site. (Don't worry; my days are long enough to manage the team and address your questions). Comments are encouraged, too. Let's communicate and let's get behind the Orange and Blue.

I'll see you around Islanders Country.

The above indented and italicized was from Garth Snow
[/INDENT]

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-12-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: We don't promote other forums here.
coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

What a ******. All those players on that list SUCK balls. Just like Snow does as GM. he is a bull****ter, not a GM.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
lacunacoil777

Most of us if we had a adult son, and we owned a hockey team, we would let him be our goalie even if it made making the playoffs imposible. CHarles wang is what baby is to Little Wayne. The problem is Dipietro plays goaltender. ANy other position and you could get away with a high school player on the ice. Not in net. Only two or three teams at the most could make the playoffs with dipietro as the back up goaltender. So the season was over the day Dipietro healed enough from his injuries that he can put on ice skates again.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Yes, exactly.

yeah its mind boggling

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Yes, exactly.

some are still drinking the kool aid. CLUELESS.