HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild and Penguins.... no its not Seto

Old
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Would be happy with a Seto for Niskanen trade.

PMB for a prospect would be fine, but we can't take back any more roster players, there's too many on the team right now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I don't get this. That is a major, major , major chance. You have a UFA injury waiting to happen in PMB that Minnesota obviously wants to dump and a guy that obviously can't find his game anymore in Seto and you want to give up Maatta, TK and a second? I have no problem with TK and a second, but giving up one of your best D prospects for two major questions, one being a UFA, is ridiculous. You are the king at adding quality for question marks. It's not warranted. This isn't the Seto that once scored 30 with Thornton in SJ.
There's absolutely some risk there. But getting 2 skilled forwards without detracting from our current D would vastly improve this team. Could PMB suffer another concussion? Sure... just like Crosby could. He's healthy now, and is a skilled player who could help this team. Seto, we'll agree to disagree. I doubt he'll hit 30 again (unless he overachieves), but it's not out of this world for him to hit 23-26. He has the shot and the speed to play with Crosby, and his RHS would be a huge asset to the PP. As for PMB being a UFA... again... if he works out, we try to resign him. If he leaves... c'est la vie. I'd give up Maatta & a 2nd for Seto, so adding TK and PMB is a win in my mind. Especially if PMB stays. But if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world.

As for Maatta being one of our best prospects... he's one of 6 bluechip D prospects we have... yes 6. Is he our best? I don't think so. He might be among the top 3-4.... but doesn't seem to have anything that the others don't (PPQB, shutdown type, size, etc). We can't keep them all, so we need to move one/some to fill holes. This would fill those holes without detracting from our roster.

As for being the king of acquiring question mark trades... as another poster said - unless we pay a kings ransom, that's all we're going to be able to acquire. And I do NOT want to pay that kings ransom for Iggy or Perry. There's maybe Kessel (doubt it), Perry and Iggy who might be available. All would be very very expensive (and other than Kessel, we can't likely afford them long term). So we're gonna have to accept that whomever we get will almost certainly be a question mark. But something you CANNOT question is that we absolutely need at least 1 more winger. Ideally 2, but 1 before going into the playoffs.

I'd be content with this lineup (at least on paper):

Seto - Crosby - PMB
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."

Last edited by Riptide: 02-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Not attacking your post - just clarifying on our defense situation.
  • Jonas Brodin - Already outplaying Suter on the 1st pairing at 19 years old. Definitely has potential to stick as a top-4 defender.
  • Jared Spurgeon - Looked okay paired with Suter on our 1st pairing earlier in the year before sustaining a minor injury. He's easily a #3-4 defender.
  • Marco Scandella - Has been mightily inconsistent over the past few seasons, but shows flashes of being a #3-4 defender. He's young, and posseses all the tools.
  • Mathew Dumba - His numbers have waned due to his efforts on defensive play. He still has a rare combination of athleticism, skating, offensive vision, and hitting that made us take him at #7.
  • Nick Seeler - Minnesota native, playing his freshman season at UNO. TWD with size and skill is a long-term project, but Wild management have repeatedly stated that they have high hopes for him.
Don't know enough about these guys, but when I saw the comment about the D, first thought was of Brodin. He'll easily be a top 4 guy for years to come. Same with Dumba (he at least has that potential). While Minny could likely use a top 4 guy in the short term, I don't see it as a long term need when you look at their prospects and young guys.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Not attacking your post - just clarifying on our defense situation.
  • Jonas Brodin - Already outplaying Suter on the 1st pairing at 19 years old. Definitely has potential to stick as a top-4 defender.
  • Jared Spurgeon - Looked okay paired with Suter on our 1st pairing earlier in the year before sustaining a minor injury. He's easily a #3-4 defender.
  • Marco Scandella - Has been mightily inconsistent over the past few seasons, but shows flashes of being a #3-4 defender. He's young, and posseses all the tools.
  • Mathew Dumba - His numbers have waned due to his efforts on defensive play. He still has a rare combination of athleticism, skating, offensive vision, and hitting that made us take him at #7.
  • Nick Seeler - Minnesota native, playing his freshman season at UNO. TWD with size and skill is a long-term project, but Wild management have repeatedly stated that they have high hopes for him.
Thank you for the info.

Like I said, I don't know much about the Wild defense, if Niskanen isn't an upgrade or improvement on your blue line now and in the future than a trade wouldn't make sense. Would you consider Niskanen an upgrade over some of those guys?

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Bylsma...can't...resist...Clutterbuck...

He'd probably play PMB for 3-5 games and when he doesn't score, he will bench him because he's not playing the way Bylsma used to in the NHL.
I'm laughing because it's true.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
grN1g

i'd be interested in Harrington pen's fans, would you be willing to deal him?

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
There's absolutely some risk there. But getting 2 skilled forwards without detracting from our current D would vastly improve this team. Could PMB suffer another concussion? Sure... just like Crosby could. He's healthy now, and is a skilled player who could help this team. Seto, we'll agree to disagree. I doubt he'll hit 30 again (unless he overachieves), but it's not out of this world for him to hit 23-26. He has the shot and the speed to play with Crosby, and his RHS would be a huge asset to the PP. As for PMB being a UFA... again... if he works out, we try to resign him. If he leaves... c'est la vie. I'd give up Maatta & a 2nd for Seto, so adding TK and PMB is a win in my mind. Especially if PMB stays. But if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world.

As for Maatta being one of our best prospects... he's one of 6 bluechip D prospects we have... yes 6. Is he our best? I don't think so. He might be among the top 3-4.... but doesn't seem to have anything that the others don't (PPQB, shutdown type, size, etc). We can't keep them all, so we need to move one/some to fill holes. This would fill those holes without detracting from our roster.

As for being the king of acquiring question mark trades... as another poster said - unless we pay a kings ransom, that's all we're going to be able to acquire. And I do NOT want to pay that kings ransom for Iggy or Perry. There's maybe Kessel (doubt it), Perry and Iggy who might be available. All would be very very expensive (and other than Kessel, we can't likely afford them long term). So we're gonna have to accept that whomever we get will almost certainly be a question mark. But something you CANNOT question is that we absolutely need at least 1 more winger. Ideally 2, but 1 before going into the playoffs.

I'd be content with this lineup (at least on paper):

Seto - Crosby - PMB
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
You don't trade assets like you are for question marks. Think about it. Why would a team like Minnesota who couldn't score on St. Cloud State want to trade PMB or Seto if they possess all this ability, skill and talent? You don't deal a Matta and a first for this type of return along with a TK. This is the classic overpaying for players that you should be buying dirt cheap. Yes, we need another winger. We agree. However, I question the return you give for crap, or players that are grossly underachieving or an injury waiting to happen. This is a second, third and TK, because that is a fitting return, not TK a first and a D prospect. That is absurd.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
i'd be interested in Harrington pen's fans, would you be willing to deal him?
For a prospect like Zucker or Coyle, sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
You don't trade assets like you are for question marks. Think about it. Why would a team like Minnesota who couldn't score on St. Cloud State want to trade PMB or Seto if they possess all this ability, skill and talent? You don't deal a Matta and a first for this type of return along with a TK. This is the classic overpaying for players that you should be buying dirt cheap. Yes, we need another winger. We agree. However, I question the return you give for crap, or players that are grossly underachieving or an injury waiting to happen. This is a second, third and TK, because that is a fitting return, not TK a first and a D prospect. That is absurd.
First of all, SCSU has a very underrated goalie/team defensive structure.

Second, I don't have a second. Good points.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Riptide

Quote:
When have I suggested a 1st? I said Maatta, 2nd, TK. And OMG. PMB or Seto is having a poor year... that doesn't mean they're suddenly worth nothing. Seto is a constant 20g+ guy. PMB is a question mark... but he also wouldn't be that expensive to acquire.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
First of all, SCSU has a very underrated goalie/team defensive structure.

Second, I don't have a second. Good points.
I know all about St. Cloud State. They swept my alma mater not too long ago.

I used St. Cloud State as an example for a reason. It's not a knock at them.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
When have I suggested a 1st? I said Maatta, 2nd, TK.
You don't give a top D prospect for them either for those two. At most, its a 2nd, 3rd and TK. That is awfully fair. My bad on the first.

PMB equals a second and TK and a 3rd for Seto or vice versa. That is fair based on what those two players are in today's market.

Do you reward Minnesota with a top D prospect and a second for Seto having a poor year? He hasn't been good since his arrival in Minnesota. I'd say he hasn't been the player they envisioned, but he is the same player SJ quickly saw as it dumped him.

Tell you what, why give anything for PMB if he is a pending free agent? If we agree the Pens just need one winger, give a second for Seto (I will have a few beers) and hope he materializes. You can sign PMB in the off season as a free agent. There probably won't be a big market for him.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 02-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
That prospect would be nothing more than a C type. To me, this is a dump for Minnesota and the return should be as such.
Not sure if serious.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Tell you what, why give anything for PMB if he is a pending free agent? If we agree the Pens just need one winger, give a second for Seto (I will have a few beers) and hope he materializes. You can sign PMB in the off season as a free agent. There probably won't be a big market for him.
Depending on who's available in the off season and at the right price, I wouldn't mind Shero looking at PMB. But I'd rather see about getting him cheaply (depending on what else is out there) now and making a push this year. We basically have unlimited cap space this year (something like 40m - so more than we could ever afford to use)... and given how well our D is playing, with a smart addition or two, we could really set ourselves up to go deep in the playoffs.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Not sure if serious.
He is. Apparently Seto's past (1 30 goal season, and 3 20 goal seasons) mean nothing as he's playing very poorly this year (no clue how true that is/isn't). And PMB is apparently playing just as bad, and with his concussion history and the fact that he's a UFA, he's worth next to nothing.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Bouchard is interesting, if a little risky.

I want nothing to do with Cullen, though.

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 02-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
He is. Apparently Seto's past (1 30 goal season, and 3 20 goal seasons) mean nothing as he's playing very poorly this year (no clue how true that is/isn't). And PMB is apparently playing just as bad, and with his concussion history and the fact that he's a UFA, he's worth next to nothing.
News to me.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
For a prospect like Zucker or Coyle, sure.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
News to me.
Why was Seto moved to the 4th line and almost a healthy scratch?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Minnesota
L'ťtoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Thank you for the info.

Like I said, I don't know much about the Wild defense, if Niskanen isn't an upgrade or improvement on your blue line now and in the future than a trade wouldn't make sense. Would you consider Niskanen an upgrade over some of those guys?
Most of them, save Brodin.

However, they're all prospects except for Scandella who's struggling to keep a roster spot. Making a comparison would be tough.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Seto has been struggling this year.. healthy scratch and moved to the fourth line with Granny. But I would still like to see him on the Pens. PMB has dealt with concussion issues for the last few years, which sucks because he has alot of skill. Also money in the shootout! I know the Wild have some stellar D prospects, but I think Nisky would be a great addition. Signed cheap, Minnesota boy (Iron ranger) and was awesome when paired with Letang before he got hurt. I'd take either/both Seto or PMB. For what? I have no idea.

P.S. Pack up Cal and send him too. Would love to see him on our third line!

Mo Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
So, you want one of our top prospects without giving up one of yours?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Riptide

Quote:
News to me.
I think you missed my sarcasm in regards to OCP's post.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:56 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Minnesota - Pittsburgh proposals are a bit played out at this stage and always end well...

Right now I guess I wouldn't mind parting with Bouchard. Kennedy doesn't do a whole lot for me though and would probably just prefer some sort of futures; whether it's a pick or prospect.

As for moving Setoguchi, personally I wouldn't like to see them sell low on him at this point in time. Lines are a bit in flux right now and he's back up with the 2nd with Heatley and Granlund. I'd like to see the year play out before moving him to see if they can find a combination that clicks because outside of Koivu and Parise, there's not a whole lot else that's going swimmingly. He's on a reasonable deal if he can figure it out.

Wouldn't have any interest in moving Clutterbuck at this stage barring an over-payment. Perhaps it's something that could be more seriously considered in the off-season after the team gets a better feel for the players up and down their system.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
As a Penguins fan, I think Niskanen has way more value than Seto.
As an NHL fan, Niskanen has more value than Setoguchi.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote