HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Third and Forth line

Old
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Grave77digger

vCash: 500
The Third and Forth line

I dont post to much mainly due to my ability to string letters together to make coherent sentences. But im going to give it a go. Ill start off by saying the Pens used to have one of the best bottom pairings in the NHL. Those days are long gone however. Im hoping Shero improves the bottom pairing by the trade deadline or the Pens will be dead ducks come play off time again.

Keepers
Joe Vitale - Doesnt look out of place and is not a train wreck with the puck
Brandon Sutter - He needs bigger wingers. The third line is looking way to small. 183 lbs!

Bubble
Matt Cooke - Im a fan of his but he is simply not very effective anymore. Id like him to stay.
Tyler Kennedy - Undersized for the third line. Not playing with Staal exposes that even more.
Dustin Jeffrey - Im just blah on this guy. Not a bottom pairing guy and will never crack the top 2 lines. Does he kill penalties? I like him more than Kennedy.
Zach Boychuk - honorable mention. 5' 10" 185 nuff said.

Replace ASAP
Craig Adams - He brings nothing to the table a younger guy could bring. Not mention he looks SLOOOOW.
Tanner Glass - Waste of roster space. Shero brought in size but I think he needs to sit. I never watched him Van so I dont know if I should expect better. Dude hasnt won a fight either.

The pens must have the smallest 3rd line in the NHL with Sutter and Kennedy both weighing 183 lbs. I guess im just trying to say the bottom pairings need to get bigger/skilled/faster (pick one). Right now they have no skill, no size, and nothing special in the size department.

Im not seeing anything special out of this group. Shero needs to work some magic and bring us some depth grinders. The forwards are soft and undersized for 3rd and fourth line duty.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Shady Machine

I agree we need to add size to the bottom 6, but we can't have it all in the cap world. I'd rather focus on the top 6 and slide Duper down to the 3rd line. In the offseason, we should definitely look into some 3rd line guys with hands and size (of course that is a valuable commodity).

Not to talk about Tangradi anymore, but that is why it's such a shame he never worked out. Dude is freakin huge.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
wej20

That's the advantage of Asham over Glass, Asham and Vitale could create a little offense but Glass and Adams both appear to be blackholes in the offensive zone.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
I dont post to much mainly due to my ability to string letters together to make coherent sentences. But im going to give it a go. Ill start off by saying the Pens used to have one of the best bottom pairings in the NHL. Those days are long gone however. Im hoping Shero improves the bottom pairing by the trade deadline or the Pens will be dead ducks come play off time again.

Keepers
Brandon Sutter - He needs bigger wingers. The third line is looking way to small. 183 lbs!

Bubble
Matt Cooke - Im a fan of his but he is simply not very effective anymore. Id like him to stay.
Tyler Kennedy - Undersized for the third line. Not playing with Staal exposes that even more.
Dustin Jeffrey - Im just blah on this guy. Not a bottom pairing guy and will never crack the top 2 lines. Does he kill penalties? I like him more than Kennedy.

Replace ASAP
Craig Adams - He brings nothing to the table a younger guy could bring. Not mention he looks SLOOOOW.
Tanner Glass - Waste of roster space. Shero brought in size but I think he needs to sit. I never watched him Van so I dont know if I should expect better. Dude hasnt won a fight either.

The pens must have the smallest 3rd line in the NHL with Sutter and Kennedy both weighing 183 lbs. I guess im just trying to say the bottom pairings need to get bigger/skilled/faster (pick one). Right now they have no skill, no size, and nothing special in the size department.

Im not seeing anything special out of this group. Shero needs to work some magic and bring us some depth grinders. The forwards are soft and undersized for 3rd and fourth line duty.
Not really impressed with Glass either. However, I do think it isn't an easy situation he was put into.. Shortened season, so it's already tough on players that have been with their teams. Let alone guys that are new. I think he's been trying to do too much, to impress. Which , like we saw yesterday ended up hurting us with the penalties. He needs more time for us to really know how he can impact this club. We will find out a lot more towards end of season when things heat up.

Cooke is stil valuable IMO...but imagine him on our 4th line. That's why I think we need to add two wingers and have beau remain in top 6 .

Bennett - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Trade
Cooke - Vitale - Adams/Glass
Jeffrey

Cooke and Vitale would be nice together

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
cassius

I disagree with most of your post with one exception: Craig Adams. He definitely has to go sooner than later. I went to a few games this year and it looks like he is skating in quicksand.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:22 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

I'd rather pay Talbot 1.75 than Glass 1.1.

Not seeing what Glass brings at all.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

As sad as it sounds I wish we still had Rupp on the 4th line..

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:31 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
As sad as it sounds I wish we still had Rupp on the 4th line..
Why is that sad? I do not care what anyone says when I say this team should still have one or both of Asham or Rupp

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Why is that sad? I do not care what anyone says when I say this team should still have one or both of Asham or Rupp
Touche. I guess I didn't mean it in that aspect. With the clammoring about top 6 wingers, another shutdown Dman, our "tough character guys" get lost in the mix. This version of the Pens are missing some character guys. Guys like Rupp, Ash, Talbot ect. We just don't have that anymore.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I disagree with most of your post with one exception: Craig Adams. He definitely has to go sooner than later. I went to a few games this year and it looks like he is skating in quicksand.
ID bring Kostopolous up and I havnt seen that guy play in years

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
drizzydrew22*

im not sure why any one of you are complaining with the scoring on the fourth line, when do you ever hear of a team having the best fourth line over any other line? they are your energy guys there supposed to be big and physical and skilled enough to hang onto the puck in the offenses zone to build the teams ENERGY up. vitale is speedy and just an amazing role player, adams is pretty good holding onto the puck and is one of our best penalty killers (always going down to block the shot) glass is the only concern i would have, hes not that physical and doesnt score so thats the only thing i would agree on maybe switch him with jeffery.

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Shady Machine

Glass is fine if he had an ounce of offensive creativity or finish in his game. The guy just can't produce any points. Same deal with Adams. So now you have 2 guys on your 4th line that don't have any offensive ability, like at all. That's why Asham was valuable (when healthy). He could scrap, crash, bang, shoot, and actually make a nice offensive play from time to time.

So to me you have either Glass or Adams on the 4th line, not both. Unfortunately we don't really have any other options. Jeffrey isn't a 4th liner and neither is Boychuk.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

how long till we see the likes of Sill, Payerl, Farnham (contract notwithstanding) and Uher on the fourth line?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Hopefully sooner than later. 4th line needs a dose of speed and moxie.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Line - group of 3 fowards
Pairing - group of 2 defenders

But yah, we could afford to get a little tougher on those two lines, starting with the replacement of Kennedy.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post

Keepers

Bubble
Cooke is a great PKer, more than capable on offense, & even taking away his big hits is still a great forechecker
OK fair enough
Being mis-cast as a grinder by the coaching staff doesn't make him a bad player. Every time he gets a regular shift because of injury he produces
Really brings nothing but speed. Should never have gotten picked up

Replace ASAP
He does all the little things right. Fights, blocks shots, dumps the puck in deep. Coaches love these kind of players
Leads the team in fighting majors & hits by a large margin. Way off base.

There is no need to bring some over sized lug who can fight. It's much more important to have guys who kill penalties & play good 5 on 5 hockey.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
how long till we see the likes of Sill, Payerl, Farnham (contract notwithstanding) and Uher on the fourth line?
Sill has been in the organization for a while and I think most of us know what he brings to the table. He hits, he's a very good middleweight fighter and he also logs a lot of time on the PK. He's your prototypical heart and soul, leave it all on the ice, type of guy.

Farnham pretty much came out of nowhere to be a folk hero in WBS. He's got terrific wheels, he hits everything that moves and he does all sorts of sneaky little things to get opposing players off of their game. No matter what the score is, he comes off of the bench like he was shot out of a cannon and he makes something happen, whether it's with a big hit, forcing a turnover or drawing a penalty. Jiggy compared him to a winger version of Joe Vitale, and that's fairly accurate. He's more of an agitator than Vitale, though, similar to Jarkko Ruutu in that regard.

Payerl has been a real surprise for me, he's very physical and surprisingly decent with the puck. I was honestly expecting another Joey Haddad type plug, but he's actually been a very solid player for WBS. He also uses his size very well along the boards and brings a very good puck possession game down low. He's a lot closer to getting a look at this level than I would've ever guessed when he was signed.

The toughest of the group to judge is Uher, as he's been in and out of the line up due to injuries. He brings a lot of sandpaper as well. He's held his own physically, in spite of his age and lack of experience at the pro level, but the other areas of his game are still pretty raw. You see flashes of skill every so often, but as you'd expect from a guy who just turned 20 a couple months back, he's still putting everything together.

I'd say Sill and Farnham are definitely the closest to being on the roster, with Payerl as a distant third. Farnham might have the best shot, if only for his skating.

I think Uher is going to be a good role player here, but it's going to take some time.

Brian Gibbons might be a dark horse candidate as well, Hynes has begun using him on the PK and he's looked very good. He's also really starting to take advantage of his speed and using it to cause problems for the other team. His shorthanded goal against Binghampton a couple weeks ago was probably the prettiest goal WBS has scored all season.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote