HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SportsNet And Vancouver Canucks Sign A Ten Year Broadcast Extension

Old
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I usually do something else during the intermissions and post-game so that doesn't bother me too much. The game itself is well done. Shorthouse and Garrett do a good job compared to a lot of the crews around the league.
Shorthouse is great, Garrett is weaker but it's more than made up for by the chemistry those two have. All in all, very happy with the job those two do.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the Canucks were willing to make a 10 year commitment. This could be a bit shortsighted on their part but perhaps they were thrown so much money they couldn't resist. Content delivery will be vastly different in 5-6 years than it is today, but I suppose it's possible that this was addressed in the negotiation. Much smarter people than me were making this decision, so I'm assuming they know something I don't or have a very clear road map to how they plan on delivering their content.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
VanEric

When you're watching 82 games per year, I'll take take Garrett's more laid back approach. He takes a more positive approach which helps balance out the overwhelming negativity of our fanbase and media.

The only guy I'd replace Garrett with is Ray Ferraro, if he ever felt like giving up his TSN job because he wanted to be at home more.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Shorthouse is great, Garrett is weaker but it's more than made up for by the chemistry those two have. All in all, very happy with the job those two do.
Yeah. Shorthouse making fun of Garrett's eating habits always makes me grin.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Watching some other teams local broadcasts has given me a new appreciation for what we have. I'm not a big Garrett fan, I think a former player should be able to deliver more than fluff, but they're pretty good overall.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
skeena1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the Canucks were willing to make a 10 year commitment. This could be a bit shortsighted on their part but perhaps they were thrown so much money they couldn't resist. Content delivery will be vastly different in 5-6 years than it is today, but I suppose it's possible that this was addressed in the negotiation. Much smarter people than me were making this decision, so I'm assuming they know something I don't or have a very clear road map to how they plan on delivering their content.
The release mentioned the deal included television, mobile and online delivery.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Yup. Rogers must have a pretty compelling and comprehensive online strategy to convince the Canucks to sign a 10 year deal.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:01 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

I really like Shorty and Garrett because when they talk, they don't talk to each other as if they're collegues, but they talk to each other as if they're good friends.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
I really like Shorty and Garrett because when they talk, they don't talk to each other as if they're collegues, but they talk to each other as if they're good friends.
Good friends with a mutual love for Quaker Chewy bars

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
Have you or anyone else selected a mobile carrier based at least in part on the fact that Rogers has exclusive Nucks content? I have to say, I have given it a bit of thought.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
I'm glad Hughson and Simpson aren't like that because I can't stand Craig Simpson.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:40 PM
ayoshi

Shorty is great, Garrett is decent, but Valk is brutal. A homer without significant insights.

Drop Valk and we're good.

ayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Sportsnet has done a good job of broadcasting the Canucks locally since they took over. They've always had some good talent. Seeing the people that the Flames get makes me appreciate what we have. It's one of the better hockey broadcasts.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Petey Cee
reel gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
Shorty is great, Garrett is decent, but Valk is brutal. A homer without significant insights.

Drop Valk and we're good.
I like valk!

Petey Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I like valk!
I find Valk likeable, in that I think he's a friendly guy who clearly loves the Canucks and the game.

But I also find him to be an absolute idiot when it comes to talking about the game.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Personally I think Sportsnet's garbage. Awful on-air personalities and budget production values (grainy, colourless HD feed, audio mix is almost as bad as cbc's.) Shorthouse and Garrett (and dan murphy) are great, everything else about the channel is completely terrible. Rogers is a bad corporation and it should feel bad. Thank god the Canucks haven't been swallowed up by one of these shambling, eastern techno-corporate media behemoths.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:37 AM
NiceDemitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
When you're watching 82 games per year, I'll take take Garrett's more laid back approach. He takes a more positive approach which helps balance out the overwhelming negativity of our fanbase and media.

The only guy I'd replace Garrett with is Ray Ferraro, if he ever felt like giving up his TSN job because he wanted to be at home more.
Oh god. Ray Ferraro needs to see a speech therapist before I could listen to him 60 games a season.

NiceDemitra is offline   Reply With Quote