HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Roles you didn't know they had...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM
  #1
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,116
vCash: 50
Roles you didn't know they had...

I'll start and I'll go with Micheal Fassbender in 300. Watched it the other day, for the first time in years, and was like...hey! That's who that is!

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
  #2
Kensu
Registered User
 
Kensu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,952
vCash: 63
didn't know Tom Hardy was in Black Hawk Down.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
  #3
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 807
When watching shows like X Files or Buffy today, you will notice some small and one episode guest actors who are really famous today.

For example, Wentworth Miller is in Sunnydale Highs swimming team and Conchata Ferrell (Berta in 2 and Ĺ men) is the school nurse. Ther are many more examples of this in Buffy. And in X Files, Jack Black is a guest star in one episode. Pretty sure X Files have A LOT more than just Jack Black, but he is the only one i can think of now.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
  #4
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,651
vCash: 50
Brian Cranston as Ted's boss in How I Met Your Mother. Figured it out like two days ago and it blew my mind.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  #5
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,192
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Dustin Hoffman in the old Volkswagen ad where he can't find the engine.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
  #6
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm
 
Iron Throne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twilight zone
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'll start and I'll go with Micheal Fassbender in 300. Watched it the other day, for the first time in years, and was like...hey! That's who that is!
I had the same reaction, didn't know Michael was in that movie.

Was watching Donnie Brasco yesterday and saw Bruno Kirby, Then put together he was in When Harry met Sally and The Godfather part 2! Love his characters.

Iron Throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
  #7
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,486
vCash: 500
Vince Vaughn was in Rudy

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #8
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Brian Cranston as Ted's boss in How I Met Your Mother. Figured it out like two days ago and it blew my mind.
Cranston was also in the X-Files episode 'Drive'. And Aaron Paul even appeared in an ep.

Like another poster mentioned, X-Files has TONS of actors from early in their careers. Another couple that pop into my head are Ryan Reynolds (he bites it early in the ep ) and Shia LaBeouf. Maybe lesser known but popular online with "geeks" is Mark Sheppard who was also in a very early X-Files ep.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
  #9
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Cranston was also in the X-Files episode 'Drive'. And Aaron Paul even appeared in an ep.

Like another poster mentioned, X-Files has TONS of actors from early in their careers. Another couple that pop into my head are Ryan Reynolds (he bites it early in the ep ) and Shia LaBeouf. Maybe lesser known but popular online with "geeks" is Mark Sheppard who was also in a very early X-Files ep.
Just stop. Now I'm going to Netflix the **** out of X-Files (love that show anyway) just to spot as many people as possible.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  #10
Stu Macher
Registered User
 
Stu Macher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burke, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
When watching shows like X Files or Buffy today, you will notice some small and one episode guest actors who are really famous today.

For example, Wentworth Miller is in Sunnydale Highs swimming team and Conchata Ferrell (Berta in 2 and Ĺ men) is the school nurse. Ther are many more examples of this in Buffy. And in X Files, Jack Black is a guest star in one episode. Pretty sure X Files have A LOT more than just Jack Black, but he is the only one i can think of now.

John Hawkes is in a season 2 episode of Buffy (I Only Have Eyes For You), and Amy Adams is in a season 5 episode (Family).

I always forget that Nathan Fillion was in Saving Private Ryan, even though he has a notable scene.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 AM
  #11
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Giovanni Ribisi was in a terrific episode of X-Files.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
  #12
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
didn't know Tom Hardy was in Black Hawk Down.
There are a couple of guys in that one that I didn't click on at first like Eric Bana and Orlando Bloom.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 AM
  #13
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
whatsbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
When watching shows like X Files or Buffy today, you will notice some small and one episode guest actors who are really famous today.

For example, Wentworth Miller is in Sunnydale Highs swimming team and Conchata Ferrell (Berta in 2 and Ĺ men) is the school nurse. Ther are many more examples of this in Buffy. And in X Files, Jack Black is a guest star in one episode. Pretty sure X Files have A LOT more than just Jack Black, but he is the only one i can think of now.
The guy who play Jack Blacks friend, who manipulates lighting,
is also a star now. Gone in 60 secs and Avatar to name 2 movies.

Damn, poster 2 up from here beat me to it.


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000610/

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
  #14
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
During a recent rewatch of Band of Brothers I noticed that both Fassbender and Hardy are in it. I had no idea first time around. Especially fun seeing Hardy, since he's like 140 lbs in BoB, and now he's Bane.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
  #15
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm
 
Iron Throne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twilight zone
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
During a recent rewatch of Band of Brothers I noticed that both Fassbender and Hardy are in it. I had no idea first time around. Especially fun seeing Hardy, since he's like 140 lbs in BoB, and now he's Bane.
Wow never noticed this. Loved Band of Brothers but can't see Fassbender in it. Though I haven't watched it awhile.

Last movie i watched with Michael was Hunger which i enjoyed. Based on a true story


Last edited by Iron Throne: 02-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Iron Throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
  #16
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
During a recent rewatch of Band of Brothers I noticed that both Fassbender and Hardy are in it. I had no idea first time around. Especially fun seeing Hardy, since he's like 140 lbs in BoB, and now he's Bane.
check the credits of Band of Brothers, lots of struggling actors had bit roles in it... Mostly due to the Damien Lewis, who played Winter and is now in Homeland, they kept going to him for actors he knew who could and would put up with the intense shooting that was going on. A few actors got their guild cards from that movie and that is one of the reasons why there was in influx of young english actors into Hollywood-- (I know there are some actors here who can explain the importance of getting the guild card aka SAG card-some were only able to get certain parts prior to BOB---but because of brothers they got the magic card--a few years ago there was a write up in I think it was the Guardian paper here in London and he talked about the fact that many actors were able to audition for US roles even though their role was cut out of the final production of BOB)

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,673
vCash: 156
Mr. T is an extra in The Blues Brothers.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
  #18
Ceremony
Just don't forget
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71,101
vCash: 499
People who have been in the X Files that I can think of off the top of my head:

Ryan Reynolds as mentioned (who is fat and dies before the opening titles)
Jack Black and that Giovanni guy who played Phoebe's brother in Friends (and who in the X Files is also in love with his teacher)
John Locke from Lost who is in three episodes, including the film
Benjamin from Lost is in episode 200, playing someone who lives in the Brady Bunch house
Samantha from the Saw films is in an early episode, she looks about 12
Bernard from Lost is in an episode, I think
The T1000 from Terminator 2 also turns up in a few episodes
The guy who plays Horace in Lost and the horrible prison guard in the Green Mile plays Eugene Tooms in an early episode


And... many more. The guy who plays the Cyberdyne owner in T2 is in an episode too.

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  #19
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,141
vCash: 120
Shia LaBeouf on Freaks and Geeks.


Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  #20
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Kevin Costner was the dead body in The Big Chill and he was billed as frat boy number 3 in Night Shift (he was pushing the gurney during the party)

Because I am older I will use older movie

Tom Selleck in Battle of Midway
Tom Hanks in Family ties
Quintin Tarintio in Golden Girls
Richard Dreyfuss in commercials
Clint Eastwood in Francois (the talking mule) in the Navy (Eastwood was in the Armed forces when he shot the movies) he was also in a movie called the revenge of the creature
Stalone was in Banada with Woody Allen and in two movies called "The Kitty" and the "stud"
JOhnny Depp in Platoon and Nightmare on Elm streets part 3 I think
Kevin Bacon in Animal house and Friday the 13th
Jack Black is an actor who popped up in a lot of small roles early on
If you are fan of Vincent PRice and have any of his collections on DVD--Look closely and in a few movies from the 50's you will see a young Jack Nickelson

if you have seen Fast Times at Ridgemont high you might have missed, Nic Cage, Eric Stoltz and a pile other young actors

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
  #21
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,192
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Pretty sure Eva Mendes (pre nose-job) was in the wedding scene in Night at the Roxbury.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
  #22
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,141
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Pretty sure Eva Mendes (pre nose-job) was in the wedding scene in Night at the Roxbury.
Oh was she ever! She looked pretty damn good in that dress too!!

"What's up?".....
"Steve, don't hit on the bridesmaid.. it's your wedding."

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
  #23
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,141
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Kevin Costner was the dead body in The Big Chill and he was billed as frat boy number 3 in Night Shift (he was pushing the gurney during the party)

Because I am older I will use older movie

Tom Selleck in Battle of Midway
Tom Hanks in Family ties
Quintin Tarintio in Golden Girls
Richard Dreyfuss in commercials
Clint Eastwood in Francois (the talking mule) in the Navy (Eastwood was in the Armed forces when he shot the movies) he was also in a movie called the revenge of the creature
Stalone was in Banada with Woody Allen and in two movies called "The Kitty" and the "stud"
JOhnny Depp in Platoon and Nightmare on Elm streets part 3 I think
Kevin Bacon in Animal house and Friday the 13th
Jack Black is an actor who popped up in a lot of small roles early on
If you are fan of Vincent PRice and have any of his collections on DVD--Look closely and in a few movies from the 50's you will see a young Jack Nickelson

if you have seen Fast Times at Ridgemont high you might have missed, Nic Cage, Eric Stoltz and a pile other young actors
He was in the first one, from 1984. He died one of the best movie deaths I have ever seen, getting sucked into the bed followed by his blood shooting out covering the walls/ceiling.

He was also in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (the 6th in the series) as "Teen on TV".

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
  #24
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Everyone in Seinfeld. I feel like every episode I see someone and say "Hay that's so and so..."

Johnny Galecki in Christmas Vacation I just realized that around Christmas 2011.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
  #25
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 50
Married with Children. Decent size list of before they were famous.

http://www.bundyology.com/celebs.html

Wow, Fergie looks WAY different. But I guess 25 years will do that to you.



Last edited by Tuggy: 02-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.