Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Jopsey

vCash: 500
Granlund was sexy last night. It's only a matter of time before the points start racking up.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:16 AM
DANOZ28

im trying 2 be patient w granlund however huberdeau has 10G & 5A in 22 games. yakupov has 6G & 6A in 21 games just for comparison.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
im trying 2 be patient w granlund however huberdeau has 10G & 5A in 22 games. yakupov has 6G & 6A in 21 games just for comparison.
Speedy shooters are always going to translate to the NHL faster than playmakers with high Hockey IQ. Granlund's biggest strength is his mind, and it takes time for him to adjust and think the game as opposed to using speed to blow past players and get a shot off. Look no further than Zucker.

A good comparison offenisvely for me are guys like H Sedin and Datsyuk. They are similiar offensively in that they use their high hockey IQ to produce. They really didnt start producing all that much until they were 24ish. Mikael is on an 82 game pace to produce at level similiar to theirs early in their careers.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:32 AM
DANOZ28

there were several smart hockey writers predicting granlund could compete for rookie of the year which aint gonna happen. i realize players like koivu took 4ever to develop, time is money (just thought i'd throw that in).

Old
03-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Huberdeau was a 3rd overall pick taken ahead of Brodin, Wild didn't have a chance with him.

Sure, in hindsight, Tarasenko looks better now. So does Cam Fowler. Hell, Brendan Gallagher is a Calder candidate with 13 points in 18 games, and he was taken in the 5th round.

Time is money? Let's talk about Granlund in about a year.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Huberdeau was a 3rd overall pick taken ahead of Brodin, Wild didn't have a chance with him.

Sure, in hindsight, Tarasenko looks better now. So does Cam Fowler. Hell, Brendan Gallagher is a Calder candidate with 13 points in 18 games, and he was taken in the 5th round.

Time is money? Let's talk about Granlund in about a year.
I don't think he saying that we should've taken those guys, but just wondering why they aren't seeing the same kind of adjustment periods that we are seeing with Granlund.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Speedy shooters are always going to translate to the NHL faster than playmakers with high Hockey IQ. Granlund's biggest strength is his mind, and it takes time for him to adjust and think the game as opposed to using speed to blow past players and get a shot off. Look no further than Zucker.

A good comparison offenisvely for me are guys like H Sedin and Datsyuk. They are similiar offensively in that they use their high hockey IQ to produce. They really didnt start producing all that much until they were 24ish. Mikael is on an 82 game pace to produce at level similiar to theirs early in their careers.
This is a good point and a fair comparison.

He's looked better almost every game this entire year. What he says in his interviews, is what he shows us on the ice. He's just figuring it out, and given some of the plays he's starting to make, he's showing us that he's figuring it out.

The kid is going to be good for us, and frankly, I'm glad we have him. Any player who is always going to push himself and try to be better, is the player that belongs on this team, especially one with his level of skill.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
DANOZ28

maybe its my fault for listening to the media hype. i was just hoping for a little better showing, i did not expect him to win the rookie of the year. i will always be worried hes pmb2 until he proves otherwise. cheers!

Old
03-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Hagged

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I don't think he saying that we should've taken those guys, but just wondering why they aren't seeing the same kind of adjustment periods that we are seeing with Granlund.
The adjustment periods for high IQ playmakers seem to be longer than for goal scorers. (Longer for most guys obviously excluding Gretzky, Crosby, Thornton, Malkin and other top 2 drafted).

H. Sedin was hitting his prime at 25 (75 point season)
Martin St. Louis 27 (70 point season)
Datsyuk 24 (51 point season)
Savard 22 (45 point season, 27-year-old when he had his first PPG season)
D. Sedin 23 (54 point season)

Of course some of these guys might have been better choices as to hit their primes earlier:

Derek Forbort (ncaa)
Jaden Schwartz (5 points in 18 games)
Brandon Gormley (AHL)
Cam Fowler (rookie season 40 points, -25 ; sophomore 29 points, -28)
Jack Campbell (AHL)
Dylan McIlrath (AHL)
Vladimir Tarasenko (12 points in 17 games)

Then there are Bennett and Coyle in the first round who get minutes in the NHL.

Out of these only Tarasenko, Schwartz and Fowler seem to be doing obviously better than Granlund. You just can't close your eyes and point at Gallagher at the draft day, even though there is a 0,1% chance he would become the better player. And even now we can't know for sure Gallagher will have the better career of the two.

Same goes for Tarasenko for less extent. Everybody knew he would be a good hockey player but they weren't sure he would become an NHL player at least this soon. Even Blues fans were a bit scared when the KHL offer of several millions of dollars was given to Tarasenko had he stayed.

I understand time is money when it comes to drafted players. Of course you'd like the 100 point player right out of the draft, to get cheap years on the ELC+RFA (actually this only affects players who become NHL players after turning 21).

But if Granlund (after say, turning 24) becomes the 60-80 point player we all hope for him to become with one or two over PPG seasons, will it be that sad that Tarasenko played better for the Blues?

Old
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
maybe its my fault for listening to the media hype. i was just hoping for a little better showing, i did not expect him to win the rookie of the year. i will always be worried hes pmb2 until he proves otherwise. cheers!
The expectations for him were unrealistic IMO. He had his issues last season, he still had them in the AHL, so of course he was going to have them in the NHL as well. He's played center most of the time and most of the top rookies play wing. Being a center is more challenging than being a winger and the adjustment period is generally longer.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I expected more of him but am not ready to call him a bust. I still think he'd have been better off coming here last year than this.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Karl

He might not win the Calder, but he will be a very good player for years to come. He finally looks like he understands how to play in the NHL and adjusted his game to fit it, but still included his creativity in plays.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Kellyr

All comes down to if he can manage to stay healthy. As a smaller player and not the fastest guy on the ice he is always going to be tested physically.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Beegoalie

It takes time to adjust..look at Seguin in his first NHL season. Look at Hall..look at Stamkos.

For a more hometown connection look at Gaborik his first year..36 points. Koivu...Bouchard. Take your pick.

Granlund is clearly adjusting. He is getting better and if he can continue to improve and get time with players like Heatley and Bouchard the points will come no doubt.

Within 3-4 years he will be a 50 point player and will only trend upward..I have no doubt in my mind.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
All comes down to if he can manage to stay healthy. As a smaller player and not the fastest guy on the ice he is always going to be tested physically.
Yes and no IMO.

Yes, smaller players are more subsceptable to physical play but you are forgetting some other factors that is also key: muscle mass, balance, and leg strentgh.

Clutterbuck is only 5-11 but none of us worry because he is a truck at around 210lbs. When Granlund is in his prime, he should be pushing 190lbs. Even at this current time, Granlund's balance and strength on his skating is amazing.

His main problem is that he often slows down when entering the zone, making it easy for any player to catch up to him. Last game he was amazing, attacking the zone with energy and nonstop feet, making it harder for players to push him.

I think at the end of the day, Granlund will be fine healthwise. He's solidly built, he has great balance and has strong legs. It all depends if he can keep his energy level high consistently because if he doesn't he'll get caught by bigger players

Old
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Granlund has been one of the smallest guys on the rink since he was a kid. He knows how to deal with it.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Dampland

He's actually underwhelming me and I had low expectations of him. HE needs the AHL for a season or two. Thus far 36 points in a 82 game season from him seems like a pipe dream.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Etoile du Nord

vCash: 300
Can't wait to dig up that point prediction thread.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
He's actually underwhelming me and I had low expectations of him. HE needs the AHL for a season or two. Thus far 36 points in a 82 game season from him seems like a pipe dream.
He is on pace for 27 in an 82 season while bouncing around the line up like a pinball.

A couple of good games he can match your 'low' expectations pretty easily. For example if he gets two pts tomorrow he is on pace for ~34 pts over 82 games.

Sample size is just too small right now but his progression is pretty easy to see.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:55 AM
hirawl
Used Register

The show is about to take off. Count on it. All the signs are there. Can't wait baby.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:02 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

If he keeps playing the way he is trending, I don't see how the kid could not start putting up more points.

That filthy little between the legs, blind, back pass while being checked last game, man, there's no one else on this team that I have seen do that. If his linemates were a little more awake that would have been prime.

The more these guys adjust, the better they're looking. Barring injuries, I think things will just continue to improve.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:59 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
If he keeps playing the way he is trending, I don't see how the kid could not start putting up more points.
As soon as he notices that his linemates won't score the goals he will go into goal scorer mode...

Old
03-05-2013, 08:27 AM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Yeah, let's talk about sending him down when he finally looks like he's adjusted to the league. Tonight's game will be key in seeing whether the Oilers-game was a one-off, or if he's found his groove.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Granlund has no points in the last 24 hours. Bust.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Granlund has no points in the last 24 hours. Bust.
A notion with which I concur.

Closed Thread