Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Henri M

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Had a dream Granlund was sent down. Woke up and was disappointed that he wasn't.
I do not see how it would benefit the Wild to send down one of their best forwards. He has been a top 5 forward on the team the last 3-5 games we have played. Thats not saying much considering the team has been pretty bad overall.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Really? Putting Kadri in the minors didn't completely destroy his confidence? He didn't pick up bad habits? How is that possible???

Wasn't Kadri given a lockout shortened season's worth of games in the NHL before that decision was made? Or did he start each of his first two years in Houston before being called up?

I don't think that time in the AHL would hurt Granlund, but I also don't see how it would really help him or the Wild. He's shown he's good enough to play in the NHL, even though his point production leaves something to be desired. He looked a bit in over his head at first, but IMO ever since the first Chicago game he seems to be moving his feet better and more comfortable with the physical aspect of the game.

It just seems like ever since tossing him into the fire as 2C didn't work like gangbusters right off the bat he's been treated as a bit of a misfit afterthought, thrown onto randomly constructed lines and not really given more than a game or two to adjust.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, I am a little disappointed he's been more in the realm of "fine" than dynamic, but I'd like to see the Wild at least give him a shot on the wing with Koivu and Parise and/or given a handful of games in a consistent environment before the Houston option is considered.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
If MiG is sent down and cries he can go **** a dog, man up and play the damn game don't whine.
This as Granlund surely is the whiniest little piece of **** 4th liner in the history of the game.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post

It just seems like ever since tossing him into the fire as 2C didn't work like gangbusters right off the bat he's been treated as a bit of a misfit afterthought, thrown onto randomly constructed lines and not really given more than a game or two to adjust.
I said something very similar in another thread a few weeks back. It's like they had no plan B for him, but were (and still are) reluctant to send him down. Granlund's development would benefit from a stable environment and not being placed in the press box every 2-3 games. If he doesn't have a stable spot with the Wild, he will have it down in Houston, that's for sure. I don't think he's that big of a factor in the Wild right now, so sending him down probably wouldn't cost the team any games.

I'm sure he'd rather stay with the Wild (better pay, Finnish friends, better facilities, etc.) but I think Houston might be a better place for his development for now. He can be called back up when Yeo can think of a good spot for him.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
grN1g

imo only reason granny is getting sat is because PMB came back quicker than expected and its tough to trade him.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
imo only reason granny is getting sat is because PMB came back quicker than expected and its tough to trade him.
Agreed. Granlund's fine. We have to actively shop Butch though. Overall I'm impressed with Granlund's play away from the puck which, besides injury, was my concern with him transitioning to the N. American game. Actually all our "kids" are playing pretty well. Brodin especially. Love Zucker. Coyle's gonna be a stud IMO.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Granlund is not a top five forward on this team right now.

Parise
Koivu
Cullen
Setoguchi
Zucker
Brodziak
Heatley

All those guys are ahead of him.

He's maybe even with Bouchard?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Henri M

Quote:

Parise
Koivu
Cullen
Setoguchi
Zucker
Brodziak
Heatley

Hmmmm, well, in regards to how I observed the few games I've seen lateley I would disagree on a couple.

Heatley scores a goal here and there, but he generates nothing with his play, he needs to be the finisher.

Cullen I do not agree with at all.

Zucker is even worse in his own end than Granlund. But he has three goals in his handfull of games.

I think there is alot of room for discussion here.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:

Parise
Koivu
Cullen
Setoguchi
Zucker
Brodziak
Heatley

Have to disagree

Old
03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The last couple weeks? Granlund has had one very good game, a lot of forgettable ones. He's in over his head.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
The last couple weeks? Granlund has had one very good game, a lot of forgettable ones. He's in over his head.
I'm talking about last 5-3 games. He has been getting better and better with every game this season so I don't put weight to earlier games. No reason why he should start to digress all of sudden but if he does then send him to AHL for this season. If he plays like he has been for the last 3 games and keeps getting better as he have I have trouble sending him to AHL. Especially when he's outplaying half of our roster.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not okay with the team's top prospect barely keeping afloat in the top nine. That to me says he is not ready.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Henri M

Quote:
I'm not okay with the team's top prospect barely keeping afloat in the top nine. That to me says he is not ready.
But again, I do not disagree that he could be better, but "barely keeping afloat" is as a false statement as they come. He is playing better than half the roster. One really good game and a handfull of "ok-ish" ones is more than you can say about a good deal other guys. Atleast that is how I persive it, and I've only watched the last 3 games in whole.

Last edited by Henri M: 03-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's not playing better than half the roster. I've watched every single game that last two weeks and can point out maybe two games where he's been an impact player. And he has zero points over that stretch. I've watched every game except for V-Day this season. He has not been good.

And I have no agenda or bias. I thought he would be a Calder candidate. I thought he'd get 40 points his first year. I don't think anyone can honestly look at his production and say, "yeah, that's pretty good." It's not. He's not playing his game. He did for maybe a few games this year. Not consistently.

He has a lot to learn and he needs ice time and puck time and PP time and should get that in the minors. That's not a knock on Granlund or saying he's bad or a bust, it's just that he's not ready for the NHL. His game is not barely scraping by, it should be dominant puck possession and playmaking.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
He's not playing better than half the roster. I've watched every single game that last two weeks and can point out maybe two games where he's been an impact player. And he has zero points over that stretch. I've watched every game except for V-Day this season. He has not been good.

And I have no agenda or bias. I thought he would be a Calder candidate. I thought he'd get 40 points his first year. I don't think anyone can honestly look at his production and say, "yeah, that's pretty good." It's not. He's not playing his game. He did for maybe a few games this year. Not consistently.

He has a lot to learn and he needs ice time and puck time and PP time and should get that in the minors. That's not a knock on Granlund or saying he's bad or a bust, it's just that he's not ready for the NHL. His game is not barely scraping by, it should be dominant puck possession and playmaking.

I agree also I expected him to be better. Though I wouldn't look too much into the points. He could have double those points with a little luck. Has Zajac or RNH been as bad as points indicate? If he is send to minors what kind of message that would send? Especially when there is player like Brodz,Coyle,Pmb etc getting ice time. Coyle has the best roster spot to succeed AINEC and he's done nothing absolutely nothing with that. Why he's still there I don't understand. I have hard time believing they will send Granlund to minors after his best games of the season. If they would send him it would already been done after that bad start so we may just embrace the situation that Granlund will be on the roster.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I agree also I expected him to be better. Though I wouldn't look too much into the points. He could have double those points with a little luck. Has Zajac or RNH been as bad as points indicate? If he is send to minors what kind of message that would send? Especially when there is player like Brodz,Coyle,Pmb etc getting ice time. Coyle has the best roster spot to succeed AINEC and he's done nothing absolutely nothing with that. Why he's still there I don't understand. I have hard time believing they will send Granlund to minors after his best games of the season. If they would send him it would already been done after that bad start so we may just embrace the situation that Granlund will be on the roster.
I would agree that if they send Granlund down that Coyle should be on that same flight. Brodziak and Bouchard are veterans and Brodz is the only right-shot center on the team, so they have more rights than rookies even when they're terrible. If it wasn't true, Zucker would've been given PP time by now.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nothing he does has any rhyme or reason with the coach's plans. I would send him down because I think he can do better than he's been. Better to let him dominate for the season in Houston than struggle with the Wild.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Have to disagree
woah woah woah...are you saying Granlund is better than Heatley? Heatley who is leading the team in goals? That Heatley?

Old
03-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
woah woah woah...are you saying Granlund is better than Heatley? Heatley who is leading the team in goals? That Heatley?
I don't know why I marked him. Maybe I was subcounsciously thinking Bouchard but yeah Heatley has been better although I don't like his overall play but he knows how to score.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Heater Granlund Bouchard was destined to fail for the lack of grit and two-way sensibility. Plug in Brodziak or Clutterbuck and drop Butch and there might be something there.

Butch just doesn't have it going right now. I've watched him from his first year, and he just seems lost out there right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:00 PM
roon

Bench Butch and put Granlund at wing on the 3rd line. That helps both MiG and the team. I cannot understand why the **** this team is so attached to Bouchard. You are either going to pay him to sit on the bench or cost your team games...pick one. You can't trade him because he blows....so just scratch him and call it a day. Let Granlund get comfy on the wing.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Bench Butch and put Granlund at wing on the 3rd line. That helps both MiG and the team. I cannot understand why the **** this team is so attached to Bouchard. You are either going to pay him to sit on the bench or cost your team games...pick one. You can't trade him because he blows....so just scratch him and call it a day. Let Granlund get comfy on the wing.
The 3rd line in practice this week is Clutter-Brodz-Heater

Old
03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
lacrosseguy

Granlund someday will be a top 9 guy...........but to suggest at this time he is more effective than Zucker, Heatley, Brodziak is not accurate IMO.

For me, Larssonis and always has been a prospect I like more.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:29 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
but to suggest at this time he is more effective than Zucker, Heatley, Brodziak is not accurate IMO.
Brodziak??? He looks like a 4th liner out there, nothing more.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Brodziak??? He looks like a 4th liner out there, nothing more.
If even that some days

Closed Thread