Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 11:09 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Coyle has size of Granlund. That is his biggest asset for the top line is to be that body in front of the net and to help deflect so Parise can get a shot off. Also hard to have Finnish Jesus in the lineup when we are already 2nd in the league for faceoffs. You don't change your centers when you have that kind of flow going. And I am 100% opposed to sending Brodz to the fourth because of Granlund as well. He's paid his dues to this team and hasn't played so poorly he should be bumped off. Our 2nd line has become a legit scoring threat. You can't change that as well. And the 4th is starting to click.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boyle Sisters View Post
I think people just feel that Granlund got a lot less chances than Zucker and especially Coyle. That is where the frustration stems from.

I personally think that Zucker has been great from the get go and really deserves to be up here, no argument there. I actually don't know why Zucker is even in this discussion. Coyle on the other hand I wasn't sold on and I'm still a bit skeptical about him. Coyle's been playing in the 1st line since he got up here. He's been okay there and the team has been winning. In yesterday's game Coyle seemed to finally really find his game and it's even more likely that Yeo will keep that 1st line together. I'm totally fine with that, as well.
Granlund hasn't gotten the chance to play in Coyle's spot because he is physically unable to do what Coyle does. Early on in the year Yeo and management felt we were not strong enough on the boards and winning battles down low. This is why Rupp was traded for and Coyle was brought up. This seems to improved the teams puck possession and increased the offensive chances so hard to argue with that. Granlund doesn't have what the team is looking for as a compliment to any line. He doesn't have speed or strength which leaves him as sort of the odd man out right now. He will have to wait until next year or when an injury hits to crack the lineup IMO. I would just send him down at this point and let him try to work on what is causing him to fail, hopefully not falling back into bad habits by playing lesser competition.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One thing to keep in mind is that this thread, and this forum, is for Wild fans, not just Granlund fans. Folks who come in here and say he should be traded or just rip on the team for not giving Granlund a spot, not okay. That's what the prospect board is for.

Most Wild fans would take team wins over Granlund's stats. Granlund probably would as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:15 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that this thread, and this forum, is for Wild fans, not just Granlund fans. Folks who come in here and say he should be traded or just rip on the team for not giving Granlund a spot, not okay. That's what the prospect board is for.

Most Wild fans would take team wins over Granlund's stats. Granlund probably would as well.
Pretty sure he is upset he isn't playing, but we are playing very well and as a young kid he should recognize that and make him push even harder. Playoff time comes...he could be the "go to" kid

Old
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He might be upset but I haven't seen a single report that he's been anything whatsoever that it's been visible or caused any kind of issues.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
He might be upset but I haven't seen a single report that he's been anything whatsoever that it's been visible or caused any kind of issues.
There is no might about it. Any of us would be upset if we weren't playing. Because that is what we want to do but no I don't think he getting resentful at all. He knows his time is coming and he has peers here who will make sure he setup for success. I don't see him being a JS 2.0

Old
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
I think people just feel that Granlund got a lot less chances than Zucker and especially Coyle. That is where the frustration stems from.
Emphasis on "feel". Because I think Granlund was given time to work out the kinks at the start of the season. Too bad his linemates were still a bit out of it at the time.

Of course those of us who are smart are not going to demand that Granlund needs to be inserted into the lineup no matter what. Once again: If the team wins without him, that's what it is.

But still, it's not hard to feel for the kid regardless, as his current predicament is not fully his fault. He's more a victim of circumstance.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Granlund hasn't gotten the chance to play in Coyle's spot because he is physically unable to do what Coyle does. Early on in the year Yeo and management felt we were not strong enough on the boards and winning battles down low. This is why Rupp was traded for and Coyle was brought up. This seems to improved the teams puck possession and increased the offensive chances so hard to argue with that. Granlund doesn't have what the team is looking for as a compliment to any line. He doesn't have speed or strength which leaves him as sort of the odd man out right now. He will have to wait until next year or when an injury hits to crack the lineup IMO. I would just send him down at this point and let him try to work on what is causing him to fail, hopefully not falling back into bad habits by playing lesser competition.
I fully get what you're saying and it's all true, but I have to admit that in the back of my mind I can't help but question if Granlund will ever be a fit to this team. I know it's way too early to say something like that (and I'm not suggesting we should trade him), but it's something that's started to cross my mind lately.

He's never going to be an amazing skater or be able to bring in the 'speed' aspect. He can gain some strength, but let's face it- he'll probably never be a monster on the boards. The only way he may be able to win those battles on a regular basis is by being smart. None of this is really his fault, he's who he is and this team drafted a kid who they knew had these exact weaknesses. He can improve, but those areas will always be his weakest ones.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I fully get what you're saying and it's all true, but I have to admit that in the back of my mind I can't help but question if Granlund will ever be a fit to this team. I know it's way too early to say something like that (and I'm not suggesting we should trade him), but it's something that's started to cross my mind lately.

He's never going to be an amazing skater or be able to bring in the 'speed' aspect. He can gain some strength, but let's face it- he'll probably never be a monster on the boards. The only way he may be able to win those battles on a regular basis is by being smart. None of this is really his fault, he's who he is and this team drafted a kid who they knew had these exact weaknesses. He can improve, but those areas will always be his weakest ones.
Yup a PMB 2.0 without the skating ability is what I have been saying for a while now. Sure people say he is more tenacious but he won't be after a c-word. Prove me wrong Granny but I just don't see his game translating well to the big time. I have to say I'm not in the trade him boat though. Let it play out. We can't afford having another Leddy situation.

Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 03-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
I think Granlund has had a fair chance but didn't produce. He was given the 2nd Line Center position and no production so obviously Yeo had to make a change there. I know its fashionable to blame Cullen and Seto for the line's failure, but look at how the line has produced since Granlund was demoted, Cullen moved back to Center, and Zucker called up. Makes a person go, "Hmmm..."

People make the assumption that whoever plays with Mikko and Parise on the 1st Line is going to get a bunch of points. I'm not sure that is a valid assumption. Parise is totally fixated on going to the net, he's a shooter, not a passer. He's a master at dumping the puck, blowing by the Dman, regaining control and battling to the front of the net. Many of Mikko's points come from the PP. He's a very disciplined player at even strength, you see him drop back quickly on D and stay high very often in the offensive zone. He can make the nice pass but isn't a classic set-up guy. He also passes up a lot of shots.

IMO many people are only looking at Points. Coyle is a beast on the boards and responsible defensively. He's a lot faster than people gve him credit for. He's been making a lot of nice plays that many people - but maybe not Yeo and the other Coaches - don't notice.

As far as numbers go:

Granlund - 265:47 TOI including 41:13 min on the PP. That's a significant amount of PP time. 19 games, 1 G, 5 A, -3

Coyle - 188:33 TOI, 18.04 of that on the PP. 13 games, 2G, 2A, +1.

Granted, many of Granlund's TOI has been on 3rd and 4th Lines, but even 3rd and 4th Liners are expected to produce, especially if they aren't fast defensive studs or physcial or fight.

Obviously, Yeo's priority is to Win, not coddle Granlund. If Granund had produced he'd be playing. Based on the last two games, good Wins against good opponents, it looks like Yeo has found the right line combo's. PMB is there as a spare part. Where does MiG fit in?

Time for Granlund to go to Houston, get stronger and more experienced and work on his game so he produces when he gets another chance.

Last edited by Wildfish: 03-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post

I kind of have the same thoughts, therefore it might be beneficial to trade him.

As others have stated, it kind of feels he is in this predicament because of circumstance. When he was playing bad (and the rest of the team was) he got 5 points playing on the 2nd line, when he was playing really good he got 1 point playing the 3rd and 4th line... But it is true that he really does not fit into the system, neither can I see a good role for him, that might sound weird considering that everyone needs a skilled playmaker who also is able to score...

Which team in the NHL would be willing to trade for him though?

Old
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
I think Granlund has had a fair chance but didn't produce. He was given the 2nd Line Center position and no production so obviously Yeo had to make a change there. I know its fashionable to blame Cullen and Seto for the line's failure, but look at how the line has produced since Granlund was demoted, Cullen moved back to Center, and Zucker called up. Makes a person go, "Hmmm..."

People make the assumption that whoever plays with Mikko and Parise on the 1st Line is going to get a bunch of points. I'm not sure that is a valid assumption. Parise is totally fixated on going to the net, he's a shooter, not a passer. He's a master at dumping the puck, blowing by the Dman, regaining control and battling to the front of the net. Many of Mikko's points come from the PP. He's a very disciplined player at even strength, you see him drop back quickly on D and stay high very often in the offensive zone. He can make the nice pass but isn't a classic set-up guy. He also passes up a lot of shots.

IMO many people are only looking at Points. Coyle is a beast on the boards and responsible defensively. He's a lot faster than people gve him credit for. He's been making a lot of nice plays that many people - but maybe not Yeo and the other Coaches - don't notice.

As far as numbers go:

Granlund - 265:47 TOI including 41:13 min on the PP. That's a significant amount of PP time. 19 games, 1 G, 5 A, -3

Granted, many of Granlund's TOI has been on 3rd and 4th Lines, but even 3rd and 4th Liners are expected to produce, especially if they aren't fast defensive studs or physcial or fight.

Obviously, Yeo's priority is to Win, not coddle Granlund. If Granund had produced he'd be playing. Based on the last two games, good Wins against good opponents, it looks like Yeo has found the right line combo's. PMB is there as a spare part. Where does MiG fit in?

Time for Granlund to go to Houston, get stronger and more experienced and work on his game so he produces when he gets another chance.
I disagree with alot of what you write here.

First off Granlunds stats could have been much higher had he had some luck and his linemates would have scored on some of the chances he set them up to. He created a couple of good scoring opportunities each game, something which I have not seen from Coyle. Also Coyle has been playing on the first line, his production is quite low taking this into consideration.

Why all of a sudden is everyone claiming that the Wild is playing so well? 2 wins in a row, one in a SO. I am quite sure this forum will be screaming bloody murder next time we lose 2 in a row. Damn bi-polar behaviour. I only watched the first period yesterday, and it left alot to be desired.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
I kind of have the same thoughts, therefore it might be beneficial to trade him.

As others have stated, it kind of feels he is in this predicament because of circumstance. When he was playing bad (and the rest of the team was) he got 5 points playing on the 2nd line, when he was playing really good he got 1 point playing the 3rd and 4th line... But it is true that he really does not fit into the system, neither can I see a good role for him, that might sound weird considering that everyone needs a skilled playmaker who also is able to score...

Which team in the NHL would be willing to trade for him though?
Trading him right now isn't an option. Maybe in two years, but certainly not now. It's way too early. Finding a team interested in acquiring him wouldn't be too difficult, but that's not the way to go.

Quote:
I am quite sure this forum will be screaming bloody murder next time we lose 2 in a row. Damn bi-polar behaviour.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Jopsey

I would really like to see Granlund replace Brodziak on the third line. And also, why the **** is brodziak on the first line pp and Zucker or Seto isn't?

Old
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Why should we trade our top prospect that has played 19 games with the Wild? He has been ok, imo.

Still, I would be okay if he was sent to Houston for a while. While he has been ok, it seems there isn't room for him right now.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post

As far as numbers go:

I don't go into Coyle vs Granlund debate because one gets to play on the 1st line. But let's not pretend Coyle has been playing well. I have been very dissapointed in him. He has actually been quite weak on the boards and many times 1st line has lost the puck because Coyle lost it. Without that one good shift by Coyle on the last match no one would have even noticed him.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
I would really like to see Granlund replace Brodziak on the third line. And also, why the **** is brodziak on the first line pp and Zucker or Seto isn't?
Even if they don't want to admit it coaches has always favourite player and on Yeo's case it's Brodz. It's the only logical explanation for why he gets to play so much even though he has been one of the worst players this season.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I don't go into Coyle vs Granlund debate because one gets to play on the 1st line. But let's not pretend Coyle has been playing well. I have been very dissapointed in him. He has actually been quite weak on the boards and many times 1st line has lost the puck because Coyle lost it. Without that one good shift by Coyle on the last match no one would have even noticed him.
I can't really say that I agree. Coyle looked much more comfortable throughout the entire game. Easily his best game as an NHLer imo.

I'm not saying it's justified for him to be on the first line but he played well outside that one shift last night. Much like Granlund, Coyle has been getting better and better throughout the year.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I can't really say that I agree. Coyle looked much more comfortable throughout the entire game. Easily his best game as an NHLer imo.

I'm not saying it's justified for him to be on the first line but he played well outside that one shift last night. Much like Granlund, Coyle has been getting better and better throughout the year.
Fair enough. This was the first game imo that Coyle made a statement that "I ****ing belong to this team" . Let's hope he builds on that.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Teddy10Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Even if they don't want to admit it coaches has always favourite player and on Yeo's case it's Brodz. It's the only logical explanation for why he gets to play so much even though he has been one of the worst players this season.
Brodziak is the beneficiary of being our only right handed center.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:10 PM
djp4516

I just don't think Granlund is the type of player to walk into the NHL and be a complete success right away. You can see he just doesn't quite know how to create space for himself at the moment. That will come with time. Patience is a virtue.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Granlund is not getting traded and the situation with the Wild changes dramatically this off season and Granlund will have a permanent line up spot next season. PMB and Cullen will both be gone and i imagine Heatley will be as well and it is possible Clutter will be gone as well. Granlund will get all the minutes he can handle next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
rocketxav9

Parise-Granlund-Coyle
Heatley-Koivu-Setoguchi

Old
03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Beegoalie

Time to send him down if he's not gonna play with the Wild. Let him dominate the AHL for the rest of the sesason and hopefully the Aeros get a playoff run to boot. Like Russo said he will be back very soon.

People are quick to turn sour on the kid I dont understand why. Go look at the Kadri situation in Toronto. Sometimes it takes awhile for a player to be the player he is going to be. This is all part of the learning process.

Granlund is hands down the best forward prospect we have had since Gaborik..he is no doubt a huge part of this teams future and will be a solid NHL'er. Give it time people.

If he goes down and finishes the year in the AHL its not the end of the world or his career. If anything more time could only help the kid. He isn't 25...he's 21 years old people. He will get plenty of minutes next year when Cullen/PMB are gone..or if theres an injury to a center this year or a skilled player he will come right back to the Wild.

Nothing to freak out about or say that he will never be an NHL player cause we have an abundance of forwards right now and he isn't fully ready.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Tuomaz

If Granlund is send down Aeros' coach must be more than happy. He and Larsson should get that team far.

Closed Thread