Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
If he goes down and finishes the year in the AHL its not the end of the world or his career. If anything more time could only help the kid. He isn't 25...he's 21 years old people. He will get plenty of minutes next year when Cullen/PMB are gone..or if theres an injury to a center this year or a skilled player he will come right back to the Wild.

Nothing to freak out about or say that he will never be an NHL player cause we have an abundance of forwards right now and he isn't fully ready.
I don't see anybody here complaining about Granlund possibly being AHL bound. All that's being called foul is the current "pressbox/exercise bike/odd 10 minutes a night" treatment he's getting.

People are also mostly agreeing that there are two solutions to amend this. Find him a stable slot from the lineup (unlikely), preferably as a winger if his centre game is not quite there yet - or send him to Houston.

Yes, some people might be miffed with the latter because they'd feel it's less about Granlund having played bad (or notably worse than the rest of the team) and more about him simply being SOL with the current situation. But even they would probably admit that it's better than what it currently is.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Granlund is hands down the best forward prospect we have had since Gaborik..he is no doubt a huge part of this teams future and will be a solid NHL'er. Give it time people.
Zucker...

Old
03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Zucker...

Nowhere near the prospect Granlund is...

Higher floor but...

Old
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
I disagree with alot of what you write here.

First off Granlunds stats could have been much higher had he had some luck and his linemates would have scored on some of the chances he set them up to.
Of course you do. You're a fan of the player, not the team. You only care about what's best for Granlund, not the team. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect fans of the team to elevate the care and well being of Granlund above all else.

I also think you have a very biased view of Granlund's play and performance, you see only the best, or what you percieve as doing good. Specificlly, IMO blaming others for his failure is really lame.

And now I'm sure you'll sterotype me as a Granlund "Hater" because I'm a fan of the team and not him.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Nowhere near the prospect Granlund is...

Higher floor but...
As I see it down the road...

PMB = Granlund

Parise = Zucker

We will see.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:

PMB = Granlund

Parise = Zucker

We will see.
Granlund = Marc Savard.

Just look at that tongue and tell me you don't see Granlund.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FWIW, Savard developed in the minors for a season.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
FWIW, Savard developed in the minors for a season.
Did he also play three seasons of senior hockey before that?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
bear1

vCash: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Did he also play three seasons of senior hockey before that?
Does it matter hes not ready let him get sometime in the AHL. He can learn get stronger and round out his game and come back a better player.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Does it matter hes not ready let him get sometime in the AHL. He can learn get stronger and round out his game and come back a better player.
That VERY seldom happens with european skaters who have played senior hockey. In many more cases the AHL is a cemetary for the NHL dreams for european skaters. What he needs is NHL level practice, both physical and on the ice.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Sportserie

I just wish we'd get word on what is going to happen to Granlund the rest of the season. I believe he has played well enough to keep playing on our team, numbers crunch or not. I still believe no matter what is decided, he is in the teams big time plans.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
That VERY seldom happens with european skaters who have played senior hockey. In many more cases the AHL is a cemetary for the NHL dreams for european skaters. What he needs is NHL level practice, both physical and on the ice.
If that's the case, then Granlund is doomed, because the kid doesn't deserve anything but AHL ice time at this point.

Why would the Wild play him now, when he brings nothing to the game.

The best thing is at least a year of playing in the AHL, if not two.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:

PMB = Granlund

Parise = Zucker

We will see.
I mean if your talking about the player Bouchard was supposed to be...than maybe we are talking. Plus, Granlunds a much better scorer. Bouchard pre concussions and such was a good player, even then e never came close to realizing his potential but I think Granljnd does a lot of things a lot better than Bouchard in terms of work ethic and wanting/improving/working to get better on their own game

Old
03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Gaps

Quote:
During the shortened season there's a lot less time to practice than there would be during a normal season, and Granlund's on-ice chances are going to be very limited if he stays with the team (well, unless someone gets injured and misses games, that is). He needs self-confidence and sitting in the press box way too often regardless of his play doesn't help with that. He needs a stable environment to develop and right now the Wild can't provide him with that. He's better off in Houston for now. If they were even slightly willing to play him as a winger, I'd be more inclined to say he should stay, but since they want him playing center, the chances he's going to get are going to be with the 4th (in Konopka's place) or the 3rd line (at best).

Old
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't forget the team building lunches and pillow fights in the hotel.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Well this is a little unwarrented.

Hell, many good players put in there time in the AHL before making it to the NHL. It's the best place to develop to the style of game. Even Koivu put in his time down there.

Granlund going to the AHL will only allow him to work on his game, and actually get play time. It would not hurt in any way.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
If that's the case, then Granlund is doomed, because the kid doesn't deserve anything but AHL ice time at this point.
He is better off practising with the big team and playing once in awhile than being sent to lower level practice drills and worse physical training than he would have gotten at home.

Quote:
Why would the Wild play him now, when he brings nothing to the game.
Because of the future payoff.

Quote:
The best thing is at least a year of playing in the AHL, if not two.
He wouldn't advance physically and would not adapt more to the NHL than at the NHL level. He is better off playing little in the NHL than alot in the AHL. The change in level of training is still ridiculous.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If hanging out with an NHL team was better for development than actually playing hockey, you'd see more top draft picks making their respective teams early.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If hanging out with an NHL team was better for development than actually playing hockey, you'd see more top draft picks making their respective teams early.
If the AHL did any good to most european skaters you'd see more european skaters making the NHL out of the AHL.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
I heard the rumor that they want to keep Granlund up in the Wild organization in order to give him the best possible physical training, so that he can get some more weight on his frame and to get him used to the NHL game, instead of the AHL game.

Apparently they believe it's better to immediately make the transition from FEL to NHL instead of first moving from FEL to AHL and then from AHL to NHL. All rumors of course and ones probably of little value.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Yes, he's better off playing in the NHL than the AHL. No arguments there, but he's also much better of playing in the AHL than he is sitting in the NHL.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Sportserie

The reason why I don't think they're sending him down is because they would have already. We know what they're doing with PMB. He's going to be shopped and moved. With Granlund, he's staying. If he was going down for sure, why hasn't he been sent yet? Why would they keep the guy hanging? Who knows.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Ninjas In Pajamas*

Quote:
If the AHL did any good to most european skaters you'd see more european skaters making the NHL out of the AHL.
What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Here is a list of European skaters (more notable names) who have played in the AHL:

David Krejci
Zdeno Chara
Thomas Vanek
Jiri Hudler
Jiri Tlusty
Joni Pitkanen
Viktor Stalberg
Fedor Tyutin
Vinny Prospal
Loui Eriksson
Valteri Filppula
Tomas Fleischmann
Tomas Kopecky
Marcel Goc
Christian Erhoff
Slava Voynov
Andrei Markov
Tomas Plekanec
Patric Hornqvist
Sergei Kostitsyn
Martin Erat
Patrick Elias
Sergei Gonchar
Kimmo Timonen

The list goes on and on, and I don't really care to check the rest of the teams.

In fact, if you're expecting Granlund to stay in the NHL just for the sake of it providing the most quality development time... consider this:

Players from European leagues who jumped straight to the NHL w/o AHL experience (off the top of my head):

Marian Hossa
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Milan Lucic
Alex Ovechkin

(And I'm sure there are quite a few more).

You DO realize why Yeo isn't playing Granlund right? You DO realize that this is a shortened NHL season, making each and every game critical right? You DO realize that even those European NHL'ers who played w/o AHL experience had entire NHL seasons to hone their game right?

And if you understand (and agree) that playing a rookie under the expectations of providing 2nd line center quality play in this shortened season is insane. And then you see the Wild are winning without him in the lineup...

How can you disagree with the fact that he should be in the AHL?

Last edited by Ninjas In Pajamas*: 03-11-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling :P
Old
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Ninjas In Pajamas*

Bump, needed to edit a ton of that post lol...

Old
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockeyState View Post
What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Here is a list of European skaters (more notable names) who have played in the AHL:

David Krejci
Zdeno Chara
Thomas Vanek
Jiri Hudler
Jiri Tlusty
Joni Pitkanen
Viktor Stalberg
Fedor Tyutin
Vinny Prospal
Loui Eriksson
Valteri Filppula
Tomas Fleischmann
Tomas Kopecky
Marcel Goc
Christian Erhoff
Slava Voynov
Andrei Markov
Tomas Plekanec
Patric Hornqvist
Sergei Kostitsyn
Martin Erat
Patrick Elias
Sergei Gonchar
Kimmo Timonen

The list goes on and on, and I don't really care to check the rest of the teams.

In fact, if you're expecting Granlund to stay in the NHL just for the sake of it providing the most quality development time... consider this:

Players from European leagues who jumped straight to the NHL w/o AHL experience (off the top of my head):

Marian Hossa
Ilya Kovalchuk
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Milan Lucic
Alex Ovechkin

(And I'm sure there are quite a few more).

You DO realize why Yeo isn't playing Granlund right? You DO realize that this is a shortened NHL season, making each and every game critical right? You DO realize that even those European NHL'ers who played w/o AHL experience had entire NHL seasons to hone their game right?

And if you understand (and agree) that playing a rookie under the expectations of providing 2nd line center quality play in this shortened season is insane. And then you see the Wild are winning without him in the lineup...

How can you disagree with the fact that he should be in the AHL?
You missed the easiest one. Koivu?

Closed Thread