Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:12 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockeyState View Post
David Krejci
No prior senior hockey experience really.
Quote:
Zdeno Chara
Not alot of senior hockey experience prior to the AHL, only some at lower levels.

Quote:
Thomas Vanek
No real senior hockey experience prior to playing in the AHL.

Quote:
Jiri Hudler
One of the few valid cases here, some senior experience in a decent league.
Quote:
Jiri Tlusty
Limited experience at a senior level.

Quote:
Joni Pitkanen
Wouldn't have played a game in the AHL had it not been for the lockout.

Quote:
Viktor Stalberg
Limited senior experience at a LOW level. Swedish third tier.

Quote:
Fedor Tyutin
Valid case.

Quote:
Vinny Prospal
No senior experience before the AHL.

Quote:
Loui Eriksson
Valid case. Didn't at all look like a star in the SEL.

Quote:
Valteri Filppula
Valid case. Reinvented his game totally.

Quote:
Tomas Fleischmann
Tomas Kopecky
No senior experience prior to the AHL to speak about.

Quote:
Marcel Goc
Christian Erhoff
The german league really isn't a top league even if the standard is rising. Decent cases.

Quote:
Slava Voynov
Decent case.
Quote:
Andrei Markov
26 games? Really? Must've been the AHL that made him pop..
Quote:
Tomas Plekanec
Decent case, didn't shine in Czech rep.
Quote:
Patric Hornqvist
Half a season down in the AHL.

Quote:
Sergei Kostitsyn
Understandable that he needed it. Belarussian hockey isn't exactly known for it's immense quality.

Quote:
Martin Erat
Patrik Elias
Very limited senior experience.
Half a season for Erat.

Quote:
Sergei Gonchar
Decent case.

Quote:
Kimmo Timonen
29 games in the IHL. Absolutely worth mentioning

I don't think all that many of these players are comparable; even though there seems to be more than I thought.

If a player has little or no senior experience or has the senior experience from a clearly lesser level than the AHL it will of course be good for them to try it out for longer than half a season. In other cases it just doesn't work out all that often for european pro players. He needs to train and practice at a HIGHER level than he did in SM-liiga. Not lower.

Spending an entire season in the AHL at this stage would just be odd and more a sign that he won't ever make it at the NHL level than a sign that he needs to work on some things. He is a clever boy and will find a way in the NHL.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You missed the easiest one. Koivu?
Koivu and Šatan are imo the best exceptions. Koivu had not quite found his stride in SM-liiga and just got so much better from that AHL season. Šatan was a star in Slovakia. Big time. But still needed that season in the AHL to make it somehow.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
pbunder

also, lucic is canadian and played juniors

to the point - so far I've seen nothing but the right amounts of patience from the current development team with our prospects. Brodin in SWE one more year, zucker/larrson two years, granlund getting another year in FEL. I guess i'm willing to let them do their thing, just like in the draft. In contrast to the last regime, lol.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Ninjas In Pajamas*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post

I don't think all that many of these players are comparable; even though there seems to be more than I thought.

If a player has little or no senior experience or has the senior experience from a clearly lesser level than the AHL it will of course be good for them to try it out for longer than half a season. In other cases it just doesn't work out all that often for european pro players. He needs to train and practice at a HIGHER level than he did in SM-liiga. Not lower.

Spending an entire season in the AHL at this stage would just be odd and more a sign that he won't ever make it at the NHL level than a sign that he needs to work on some things. He is a clever boy and will find a way in the NHL.
With that logic, I assume a rookie in a shortened NHL season should be the way to develop him hmmmm? He's shown SOME progress, but not anything that should justify another lineup change especially when it appears some chemistry has developed.

Or are you arguing that 4th line minutes is better than 1st line minutes in the AHL.
I severely disagree there.

And you do realize I didn't mention atleast another 12 teams players that have Euros who come from the AHL right? But still, Granlund is some sort of exception?

And do you also realize that there are other rookies in the NHL atm that have played only junior/college level hockey that are performing vastly superior than Granlund? What does that say to this "senior hockey" you keep preaching about?

Old
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Yes, he's better off playing in the NHL than the AHL. No arguments there, but he's also much better of playing in the AHL than he is sitting in the NHL.
This, pretty much.

It is far from ideal, and most certainly not as developing, but still better than the current treatment.

If we are to think this purely from what's good for Granlund, he should have been stuck to the 2C no matter what and let him figure it out. The Wild would be a better team ATM because of it. You see the same happening right now with Coyle. He's been given enough rope and it's starting to pay off. But Yeo went into panic mode, his main worry of course being his own position, and started juggling the pieces all over.

Note, this is not something I'm holding against Yeo. His frantic attempts to figure it out short-term were and are perfectly human. Most people were, after all, expecting to see an upper-tier team right now and not in the distant future, even if said distance is only to the next season. And if it keeps working out like it does now, nobody's going to hold it against him going forward. Especially since I don't think he's exactly ruined Granlund's development, just slowed it down.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockeyState View Post
With that logic, I assume a rookie in a shortened NHL season should be the way to develop him hmmmm? He's shown SOME progress, but not anything that should justify another lineup change especially when it appears some chemistry has developed.

Or are you arguing that 4th line minutes is better than 1st line minutes in the AHL.
I severely disagree there.

And you do realize I didn't mention atleast another 12 teams players that have Euros who come from the AHL right? But still, Granlund is some sort of exception?

And do you also realize that there are other rookies in the NHL atm that have played only junior/college level hockey that are performing vastly superior than Granlund? What does that say to this "senior hockey" you keep preaching about?
Your making generalizations. Every player takes there own path. If your suggesting that a lot of college players or junior players could go over to the SEL and have the type of success that Brodin did as a teenager...you're really really wrong.

He hasn't come out guns blazin', but give the kid a few years. Jeez.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
If a player has the talent to succeed and the work ethic to improve his game and his weaknesses he will succeed. If Granlund has that...he will find out how to make his OBVIOUS TALENT translate to the NHL.

He doesn't really have a spot right now. Does that make him a bad player? No. But, that's why he's sitting. He's a rookie who has earned NOTHING at the NHL level. Yeo has no obligations to play him this year. Yeo has stated that he knows Granlund is a HUGE part of this club's future. But, let's look at that...he said FUTURE. Be patient folks. Granlund is making steps...gradual steps, but he'll get there. Let's be mature here.

I trust Yeo and Fletcher. They know what they are doing. Yeo coached our prospects to the AHL Cup right?

They've done the right things with just about all of our guys. Maybe this is the route Granlund needs. If he's the type of player all you supports are coming and saying he is...with the type of work ethic he has...his development will not be stunted. Just enjoy watching him grow. 2-3 years from now your patients will be rewarded.

/thread

Edit: I just wait to state for anyone that's going to bash me. I'm a huge, huge Granlund supporter. Look at my avatar. Kid is going to be a damn good player...just not now.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Michael Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
I think Granlund has had a fair chance but didn't produce...

IMO many people are only looking at Points. Coyle is a beast on the boards and responsible defensively...

Granted, many of Granlund's TOI has been on 3rd and 4th Lines, but even 3rd and 4th Liners are expected to produce, especially if they aren't fast defensive studs or physcial or fight...

Obviously, Yeo's priority is to Win, not coddle Granlund. If Granund had produced he'd be playing...
So you are saying that points matter,

but they don`t matter,

then they again matter

and finally they still matter? OK.

Personally I would like to see Granlund playing multiple games together with some quality linemates to develop some chemistry, and not this line and bench lottery with him that we are now seeing.

Last edited by Michael Hockey: 03-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I was against it earlier, but now Im open to the idea of shipping him down to Houston for the time being. It appears as if Yeo likes the current line combos and will go with them until they give him reason to switch them up again. Hopefully, thats a ways off.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Finnish non-Wild Granlund fans: if you'd like to wish for Granlund to be traded, please do it elsewhere. Last warning.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:44 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Finnish non-Wild Granlund fans: if you'd like to wish for Granlund to be traded, please do it elsewhere. Last warning.
Im not saying I have anything against the wild and I haven't been complaining about the Wilds here. I was just speculating, that maybe they are thinking for trade, because they scratch him two games row but do not send him down.. Maybe they think of trading some one else?

Just wanted to point out that im not here to bash wilds myself and only for granlund's sake..

Old
03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Wildfish

This thread has turned obvious. On one hand you have the Granlund fans who's sole and entire desire is what's best for Granlund. On the other hand, you have Wild fans who's main interest is the success of the team, with Granlund a secondary concern. The Wild organization exists to Win NHL games. Yeo is going to put the best line-up on the ice. If Granlund had produced, he'd be on the ice. Very simple concept. Of course, when all you care about is Granlund, that makes Yeo an evil idiot for doing what he thinks will help the team win. Blaming the Coach or his linemates is a childish excuse. I'm very glad Granlund doesn't share the view that he's the center of the organization and due all this special treatment. Too bad his hypster fans don't get it.

That doesn't mean the fans of the team don't want Granlund to succeed, they absolutely do, but they see the reality of the situation. This isn't a developmental league, the goal is to Win right now. You don't play a kid at the expense of the team's chances to Win when they're in a dogfight to make the Playoffs, hoping someday he'll turn into a productive player.

That's what th AHL is for.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Im not saying I have anything against the wild and I haven't been complaining about the Wilds here. I was just speculating, that maybe they are thinking for trade, because they scratch him two games row but do not send him down.. Maybe they think of trading some one else?

Just wanted to point out that im not here to bash wilds myself and only for granlund's sake..
They are not thinking of a trade at all, the only way they trade him now is if he does something stupid or they get an offer they can't refuse.

He sat on Saturday and we won, so like any coach yeo didn't mess with the lines at all. At this point he will have to be send down, with all 4 lines playing well (assuming we play really good tonight again). He currently has no spot in the line up, he's not going to center the 4th line, well he might tonight we'll see.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

This thread is for Wild fans discussing Granlund. We welcome outside input and observation, but when you hijack the thread to call for him being traded, that's trolling Wild fans who now feel the need to defend the team/coach/etc rather than talk about Granlund, where he should be now, his future, etc.

There's a perfect place to go if you want to rip the Wild, Yeo, etc because Granlund's not getting ice time or want him to get traded, etc: Prospect Thread on Granlund

Old
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfish View Post
This thread has turned obvious. On one hand you have the Granlund fans who's sole and entire desire is what's best for Granlund. On the other hand, you have Wild fans who's main interest is the success of the team, with Granlund a secondary concern. The Wild organization exists to Win NHL games. Yeo is going to put the best line-up on the ice. If Granlund had produced, he'd be on the ice. Very simple concept. Of course, when all you care about is Granlund, that makes Yeo an evil idiot for doing what he thinks will help the team win. Blaming the Coach or his linemates is a childish excuse. I'm very glad Granlund doesn't share the view that he's the center of the organization and due all this special treatment. Too bad his hypster fans don't get it.

That doesn't mean the fans of the team don't want Granlund to succeed, they absolutely do, but they see the reality of the situation. This isn't a developmental league, the goal is to Win right now. You don't play a kid at the expense of the team's chances to Win when they're in a dogfight to make the Playoffs, hoping someday he'll turn into a productive player.

That's what th AHL is for.
If Granlund sucked when he was playing I would agree with you, but the fact of the matter was that when he played on the 3rd and 4th line he looked good (feeling as if I said this many times before), created chances and was strong on the puck. That is why it feels frustrating for us Wild fans who also are Granlund fans.
The way you put it is just extremely black and white. Truth is that many feel Granlund deserved to be in the lineup, but then got scratched after having a couple of really good games.

This is a reasonable discussion to have, so I do not see why anyone has to become defensive by trying to make one side into haveing alternative motives. I would believe that most of us are here because we like the Wild and want to support them, but being Nordic and watched Granlund play in the WJC and WC (and some SM-liga games) makes some of us extra supportive of him.
It is not a question of being a complete Granlund fanboy or a Wild homer; so please do not make it into one.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
JJTT

will he play vs ducks?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:28 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
No Mikael Granlund on the ice yet for #mnwild. Reassigned?
Speculation from Russo.

Old
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No word yet.

He was very hit and miss on those 3rd and 4th lines. In theory he's a better offensive choice than those guys, in games not so much.

My guess is either he's sent down very soon or he will get another few games to try and stick.

Old
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Michael Russo
Skate officially has begun and no Granlund #mnwild
Nice work TGF.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:29 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Nice work TGF.

If he is in fact re-assigned I think it's about time.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it will be incredibly good for him. And I'd be very excited to see how he responds.

Yay! Official:

Quote:
Minnesota Wild
#mnwild has reassigned Mikael Granlund to @Houston_Aeros. Read more here: ******/iOzRT

Old
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Granlund 64

Hope the kid takes it as well as Charlie Coyle did.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think that it this will be a good boost for him... Stamkos struggled at first..

I'm not saying that Granlund is Stamkos, but not everyone makes the transition right away.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Beegoalie

Finally..good for him. This is best for his development right now. He will go down dominate at a PPG and come back to the Wild if theres an injury otherwise he'll be ready to rock for next season. This is whats best for him right now no doubt.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
If Granlund sucked when he was playing I would agree with you, but the fact of the matter was that when he played on the 3rd and 4th line he looked good (feeling as if I said this many times before), created chances and was strong on the puck. That is why it feels frustrating for us Wild fans who also are Granlund fans.
The way you put it is just extremely black and white. Truth is that many feel Granlund deserved to be in the lineup, but then got scratched after having a couple of really good games.

This is a reasonable discussion to have, so I do not see why anyone has to become defensive by trying to make one side into haveing alternative motives. I would believe that most of us are here because we like the Wild and want to support them, but being Nordic and watched Granlund play in the WJC and WC (and some SM-liga games) makes some of us extra supportive of him.
It is not a question of being a complete Granlund fanboy or a Wild homer; so please do not make it into one.
I like Granlund a lot, and am always one of the first to try and notice his improvement. I'll agree that he was getting better at creating chances, and definitely has amazing potential in his future.

Strong on the puck however, man, I can't even joke about that one. Were you watching Granlund?!?! He gets knocked off that damned puck like a rag doll by most other players! Hell, Butch could push him off...

Kid has great potential, but he's not quite there yet. I'm glad now he'll actually get to play hockey, and hopefully get in some extra squats while he's at it. His leg strength is not good right now.

I think he could cut it maybe as a second line wing, but that line is doing quite well and should not be messed with. He possibly could fit in on the third line, but that's not the case. He just needs to work hard and bide his time. We'll see him up here soon.

Closed Thread