Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Henri M

vCash: 500
Esa Tikkane "bashes" wild coaching:
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2013/03/n...ekosta-mitaan/

Now my finnish is not that good, but from what I've gathered he is wondering if the minnesota coaching staff understands anything about hockey at all? Also saying that Granlund should be wing and not center.

Last edited by Henri M: 03-21-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Welcome Boudreau

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
Esan Tikkane "bashes" wild coaching:

Now my finnish is not that good, but from what I've gathered he is wondering if the minnesota coaching staff understands anything about hockey at all? Also saying that Granlund should be wing and not center.
I'll translate.

Quote:
-Has Granlund been a disappointment? We should rather be asking if Mike Yeo knows anything about hockey.

-Recall Granlund to NHL and put him as winger, and things will start happening.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:39 AM
BusQuets

That's quite harsh but i agree that he should be winger for now.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Welcome Boudreau

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
That's quite harsh but i agree that he should be winger for now.
This.

When he came to SM-liiga, he was a winger. When he started his national team career, he was a winger. Worked both times.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:05 AM
MK9

While I'm in agreement, I think they should have tried him at wing. I think he could definitely use some time with the Aeros. Lot of the kids are playing well, but I would like to see most of them at least get a full year down in Houston. Brodin could probably get a pass on that theory though.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

Apparently Esa Tikkane has only looked what Roster Granlund is not on and not the standings...

Old
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
nickschultzfan

Granlund's problems in the offensive zone had nothing to do with him being a center.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:23 PM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Granlund's problems in the offensive zone had nothing to do with him being a center.
That's kinda boneheaded statement. Of course it did! The shifts he took he was constantly too low, thinking defense first and sure his confidence suffered because of his troubles in the d-zone. On wing he could've started to think more offensively and even positioning would have come more naturally now that he doesn't have to fear being out of defensive position.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
That's kinda boneheaded statement. Of course it did! The shifts he took he was constantly too low, thinking defense first and sure his confidence suffered because of his troubles in the d-zone. On wing he could've started to think more offensively and even positioning would have come more naturally now that he doesn't have to fear being out of defensive position.
Ah no.

Granlund's offensive problems were that he was weak on the puck, fumbled it too much, didn't go to the open areas, and panicked when he got surrounded by Dmen on the half wall.

Most those problems were mental and none of them have to do with playing center versus wing.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Dampland

vCash: 50
Quote:
ah no.

Granlund's offensive problems were that he was weak on the puck, fumbled it too much, didn't go to the open areas, and panicked when he got surrounded by dmen on the half wall.

Most those problems were mental and none of them have to do with playing center versus wing.
this !

Old
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

I agree that the next time he is up in the NHL he should be tried at wing. But, it is irrelevant at this time. The team is playing great and Granlund is in the AHL where he can improve his game so he is better prepared the next time he is recalled.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Caior89

Quote:
Ah no.

Granlund's offensive problems were that he was weak on the puck, fumbled it too much, didn't go to the open areas, and panicked when he got surrounded by Dmen on the half wall.

As much as i want Granlund to succeed u said everything, it was really easy to see. Looking in the bright side he was starting to get more comfortable in his last games. I believe Yeo and the coaches probably tried playing him as a winger in practice but got the conclusion that it was for his best development playing as a center for an all around game.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Jopsey

If I remember right didn't Granlund look a lot better at wing when he tried it that one game this year? I'm not saying him playing center is the cause of his struggles but he did look more confident at wing in my opinion.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
If I remember right didn't Granlund look a lot better at wing when he tried it that one game this year? I'm not saying him playing center is the cause of his struggles but he did look more confident at wing in my opinion.
Yes he did, but he also looked better at center when he was on the fourth line. It's not a positional thing with Granlund. He'll be a fine center in the league, he just needs time to learn and grow.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I do regret that MG wasn't given a chance to continue to grow with the rest of the team. IMO he was getting noticeably better, and may have turned a corner and be getting great XP right now had he stayed with the team.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I do regret that MG wasn't given a chance to continue to grow with the rest of the team. IMO he was getting noticeably better, and may have turned a corner and be getting great XP right now had he stayed with the team.
But think of all the PvP he is going to be doing in Houston. He's just gotta grind up for a few games. I wouldn't worry. He's going to get a ton of XP and level up soon enough.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
But think of all the PvP he is going to be doing in Houston. He's just gotta grind up for a few games. I wouldn't worry. He's going to get a ton of XP and level up soon enough.
Spoken like a true nerd

Old
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
3 points in 3 Aeros games so far...

Old
03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Jbcraig1883

Pretty good game from Granlund.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The problem is that no matter how much XP he gains, his faceoff and poise ratings are never going to improve because EA sucks and doesn't fix what needs fixing.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The problem is that no matter how much XP he gains, his faceoff and poise ratings are never going to improve because EA sucks and doesn't fix what needs fixing.
So much win.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
IMO, if this were a full 82 game schedule, Granlund would still be in Minnesota. But, because we are in the stretch run and only 19 games to go, there just isn't time to throw him in the line-up and watch him grow when there are better options that can help us win games now and get into the playoffs.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
nickschultzfan

Granlund will be fine. Training camp/preseason is a month long. That's a lot of time lost. Add in most times are "trying things out" for the first 10 games. That's another month. All of that was lost to Granlund.

It's good that he got to play in the AHL for a while, but that's not enough to expect him to jump into an NHL top-6.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Scoutguy77

Agree with Schultz.
Minny created the "problem" by publically announcing before camp he was their second line center.
He clearly is not ready, as many young players will need some physical maturity.
He will I believe be a good NHL'er someday.
The Finnish posters relax. He has to earn his time, nobody to blame like a CDN player(Bulmer, Phillips etc) or an American, just not sure why fingers are being pointed at Yeo or the organization. Is he was ready he would be playing, its that simple.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:40 PM
mattihp

Had a dream in which he was traded to phoenix. Hopefully he makes it with the wild. Phoenix jerseys are just awful.

Closed Thread