HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla to Detroit

Old
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Nyquist

vCash: 500
I'd rather keep Filppula than trade him for Iginla honestly. I think he'll re-sign and with Datsyuk possibly not re-signing, we need all the centers we can get.

Nyquist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I do think Iginla and the Flames should pull a Keith Tkachuk and St. Louis and have him moved for assets to help the Flames organization and then he can turn around and sign with the Flames in the off-season. He gets to make a run, he comes back anyway and they get two solid assets more than likely.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Does not compute.
huh? he would be in the AHL if it wasn't for all the injuries

anyways I have no interest in the Wings trading for a 35 year old rental winger,the Wings aren't good enough or young enough to be making moves like that

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Sure we can't play them all but we'd like to keep two guys that are doing amazing in their respective leagues? Is there a rule somewhere that says we can't keep our two best D prospects (Smith is on the team now)? I'd like to see our D in the future be Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Sproul, Ouellet. After that I don't really care for anybody else.Not saying I hate them, just that they're not going to be a big part of the future for me imo.

What I'm saying is, sure we can't keep them all, but I don't want to move one of the two most important ones for a piece that won't be around long at all, is declining, and wouldn't put us over the top.
You might be right. There is no 100% right answer here. I just think Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman are all pretty similar. Detroit is very close to having a team made up entirely of home grown guys. What is surprising is they somehow have the talent to be pretty good.

Datysuk, Zetteberg, Filppula, Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Helm, Abdelkader, / Ouellet (possible star defenseman), Sproul (possible star defenseman) Nyquist (next star forward), Tartar (possible star forward), Lashoff (shut down dman), Ferraro (Energy Forward/secondary scorer), Sheahan (Possible star center), Andersson (grinding center), Callahan (energy forward), Marchenko (all round d), Backman (all round d), Jarnkrok (possible star center), Pulkkinen (possible star winger), Mzarek (possible star goalie). There is a pretty good core in there if we keep everyone. Pretty good trade value if we move them. Whats scary is the prospects listed above all look fairly close to being locks as NHL players (though maybe not on the wings). Good mix of role playing and star potential. Obviously alot of the above do not end up stars but how many stars does a team need? How much of being a star is just ice time? The future is looking fairly bright even if we build within. (Not to mention Jurco, Frk who have star potential,though they younger)

Looking at it that way its pretty obvious Holland has been rebuilding for some time. He just never called it that. The question is in this NHL do you build from within or pickup Free agents and make big trades. Kenny is at the helm... and it will be interesting to see what he chooses. Couple years ago the answer would be keep 2 or 3 and trade the rest. Not so sure anymore.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Does not compute.
He is a prospect. Just not a very good one. Apparently Babcock likes a 6'3 stay at home young defensman. I never thought he would be an NHL player but it seems one of the best coaches all time just gave him a job as an NHL defenseman. Hes been playing on our top pair with Kronwall for almost every game hes played. Granted we roll all three defensive pairs evenly at even strength, so not sure it matters. Certainly he could play as a 6th.

Babcock prefers him over Huskins and Kindl. They are both adequate (see not horrible) 6th defenders.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I'm a big fan of Darren Helm. I'd want him in the package.
Helm's not being moved for a rental, especially not one that is 35, and that we probably wont be able to afford to resign.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Nyquist

If we trade for Iginla and re-sign him we would most likely lose Filppula or Howard. So we're either going to lose one of those two for an aging winger that doesn't put us over the top, or we're going to overpay for a rental. Just don't see any Iginla deal with Detroit. Trading him to a team like Boston or Pittsburgh would make much more sense.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
If we trade for Iginla and re-sign him we would most likely lose Filppula or Howard. So we're either going to lose one of those two for an aging winger that doesn't put us over the top, or we're going to overpay for a rental. Just don't see any Iginla deal with Detroit. Trading him to a team like Boston or Pittsburgh would make much more sense.
Fine with me. Flip is overrated and Howard isn't a 5 million dollar goalie.

Vladdy84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
huh? he would be in the AHL if it wasn't for all the injuries

anyways I have no interest in the Wings trading for a 35 year old rental winger,the Wings aren't good enough or young enough to be making moves like that
A 26 year old bust is not often referred to as a "prospect".

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Lashoff is 22. Nice try though.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Fine with me. Flip is overrated and Howard isn't a 5 million dollar goalie.
So you'd rather have Gustavsson be our goalie or us lose Filppula and only have Z for a top six center if Datsyuk doesn't sign another contract?

Old
02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=96561

ITT: undrafted 22 year old is "26 year old bust"

methinks you got your "Lashoffs" mixed up

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Flamester

Tatar and jurco for iginla staight up

Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
We're talking Brian Lashoff...not Matt

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

The most I'd give up for Iginla is Frk + 2nd. I know its probably not fair value but I don't think Iggy is enough to help the Wings win the Cup. So I would rather just keep our prospects.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
Tatar and jurco for iginla staight up
How about no.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditating Guru View Post
I want him back on the team; I was one of the few who never wanted him to leave in the first place. You guys are reaping the benefits of a player who wasn't utilized properly by Babcock.
Hudler is playing close to 20 minutes a night on a bad team. No thanks..

Calgary waited five years too late to trade Iginla and giving up a 1st round pick to acquire him is a step in the wrong direction for Detroit. That makes more sense for a team closer or more desperate.

While they are a playoff caliber team, Detroit needs to keep their picks and continue getting younger. Or trade some of their prospects and picks for younger talent.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Detroit doesn't need Hudler back. While I would've been OK with paying him $4M over Samuelsson's $3M, he's gone. There's no point in bringing him back.

Already too many guys wasting roster spots that belong to Nyquist and Tatar.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 PM
jroc86

Ive always been a big fan of Iggy ... dudes still a beast. That said - no point from either side. If Lids stuckaround 1 more year and/or we signed Suter we'd be allot closer to contender status and that might validate giving up some future peices for a guy that will produce for a few more years likely.

I'd rather stay the course - and keep Sproul and Oullette ... 2-3 years from now our D could be pretty UNREAL with those kids, Kronner/E/Smith ... and Dekeyser if we sign him this summer. Build the next cup contender from the back out with that as our Dcore and Mrzaek/Howard tandem in net.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Detroit doesn't need Hudler back. While I would've been OK with paying him $4M over Samuelsson's $3M, he's gone. There's no point in bringing him back.

Already too many guys wasting roster spots that belong to Nyquist and Tatar.
I always thought Detroit was one of those teams that was smart about their roster choices. If those guys were ready, wouldn't they be up?

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

I can almost guarantee that Detroit would have little interest in sacrificing many futures for an aging UFA-to-be that doesn't control the play anymore.

Quote:
This is all very much in line with the decline in Iginla's general effectiveness which I began to chart in 2010. A couple of seasons ago, he was merely average at controlling play and lagged behind many of his peers in terms of stature and pay across the league. Now, Iginla has entered liability territory at even strength - he consitently yields shots and possession against while he's on the ice and almost universally pulls down his linemates ability to control play as well.
Iginla still has a great shot, would be a fixture on just about any powerplay in the league, but he's just not a top-line forward anymore and teams like Detroit know that.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I can almost guarantee that Detroit would have little interest in sacrificing many futures for an aging UFA-to-be that doesn't control the play anymore.

Iginla still has a great shot, would be a fixture on just about any powerplay in the league, but he's just not a top-line forward anymore and teams like Detroit know that.
Top 30 in ES points last year and yet not a top line player, Right and Quick was a backup

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
obey86

Quote:
Lashoff is 22, not 26.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:06 PM
obey86

The Redwings seriously need to put together a package and trade some of their prospects.....but not for an old dude.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I always thought Detroit was one of those teams that was smart about their roster choices. If those guys were ready, wouldn't they be up?
They're in love with holding players longer than they should be held. That has a double meaning. In one way, they like holding guys in the AHL for a loooonnngggg time. The other is that Holland has certain players he likes, and he'll take them if they're available. He did it with Hasek in our second go-round with him. He's doing it with Samuelsson now. They also have a loyalty thing about not dumping guys, which looks great to free agents looking for a place to sign, but also comes back to bite us in the rear sometimes.

I understood the Tootoo signing, because after what happened to Zetterberg in the playoffs, I think Holland felt they needed a guy to answer the bell.

If I ran the team Cleary would've been traded for a bag of pucks and Samuelsson never would've been here. Nyquist would be up and if there was room, Tatar.

Also, I don't think anybody was really expecting Eaves to be cleared. I, for one, thought his career was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Top 30 in ES points last year and yet not a top line player, Right and Quick was a backup
Well... His name is Eklund's Source...