HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 08:47 AM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
As much as I liked the fourth line at the beginning of the season, they're completely useless right now. Armstrong is no longer a pest and Moen looks badly out of shape. The team is doing too well so we can't even claim the players we want on waivers.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Even if we had a bigger fighter Prust would've still had to fight Lucic because Lucic wouldn't fight a heavy weight fighter.

It would've been nice if we got Tom Sestito who can chip in with the odd goal and would fight almost anyone, Armstrong has been better lately but I'd rather have a heavyweight against Boston/Toronto to keep retards like Thornton/Lucic/Campbell from pulling ****.
Armstrong is a pest. He's like a worse version of Lapierre at this point. I know some people think ''play hockey and beat them on the scoresheet'' but that will be difficult when teams like the Bruins and Leafs have a mix of both. Yes, Laraque was useless on the ice but at least you wouldn't see games like the 0-6 defeat when he was around. Getting dominated physically and on the scoreboard is terrible. I even feel for the rookies who see the veterans they look up to getting their faces smashed in with no capabilities to fight back.

Prust simply isn't enough. Moen has to be more willing to drop them as well. We all know he can fight.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Great idea, he would also help us attract Corey Perry this off season

All jokes aside, depending on want the Panthers want, i'd trade Moen for Parros
Moen is a bad fighter Parros is a bad fighter... Moen is a good player Parros is an horrbad player.

Old
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Parros is horrible this year..
so is moen but alteast Parros can fight
Seriously, go get the Greek.

Old
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Bordeleau would never be on the ice against Lucic and Chara if it's close. He'd be there as a deterrent if the score was out of hand. That I approve of. Also need Clowe in Ryder's spot.
And another Souray type on D. One who will always be there to stand up to opposition who take liberties and a guy who can seriously chuck them. Then we'd be complete.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Moen is a bad fighter Parros is a bad fighter... Moen is a good player Parros is an horrbad player.
lol what?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
And another Souray type on D. One who will always be there to stand up to opposition who take liberties and a guy who can seriously chuck them. Then we'd be complete.
oh you mean tinordi?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Patty Roy

The thing with Moen is that he's never really been a fighter. He's fairly big and can take care of himself, so people in Montreal always expected him to be something he's not.

I have always maintained that the Habs would be well served to carry a heavyweight. We're in a division with Boston and TO for crying out loud those teams carry 2-3 heavyweights. I would have claimed Matt Kassian off waivers a few weeks back.

Prust is too valuable to this team to risk him getting hurt in a fight against some guy that outweighs him by 30-40lbs.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Tinordi would be that guy if he could learn to fight better. He's not that good at it right now.

Old
Lshap

I have to believe Moen is hurting, because the guy is a competitor and is normally one of our toughest players.

Bourque is also very strong. Obviously, we have no idea when he'll be back.

The ideal addition would be a big, tough defenseman. I don't want a designated enforcer. We saw how easy it was to get one last year and how much good it did.

Old
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
lol what?
He is horrible. He just fights is way to the ground... Never really throws haymakers or nothing... He's not the player we're looking for.

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I've been a big fan of Moen, but haven't liked his game this year. Wonder if maybe it has to do with that concision he had last year, but this, no excuse for his play this year.

I think White is being a little to safe, worried that he might get the team in trouble again, he'll get back to his game tho, hopeful without taking the extra stupid penalties.

Old
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I have to believe Moen is hurting, because the guy is a competitor and is normally one of our toughest players.

The ideal addition would be a big, tough defenseman. I don't want a designated enforcer. We saw how easy it was to get one last year and how much good it did.
Exactly.. agreed.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:

That's what I want as well but who is available? I think this team will be better off with a heavyweight than without. I seriously wouldn't mind sitting Armstrong and replace him with a legit fighter when facing teams like Boston or Toronto.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
FrankMTL

I don't want to defend Moen as he really isn't pulling his weight right now, but if we look at his career as a whole, he's never been that big of a fighter. He's actually on pace to have about the same amount of fights as in the past years. He's fought twice in 22 games which averages to about 7 or 8 fights during a full schedule. The issue is that he's not fighting when he should and when we need him to.

Season Fight Total
Only years with fights are shown | Available seasons
2012-2013 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (2)
2011-2012 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (3)
2010-2011 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (8)
2009-2010 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (5)
2008-2009 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (9)
2007-2008 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (7)
2006-2007 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (9)
2005-2006 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (5)

Old
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Look what Scott did to the Bruins collectively - Destroyed Thornton and puts him out. Upon returning does nothing. Lucic does nothing. Captain Chara? Not jumping in to take that fight. Bruins no longer push the Sabres around and are forced to play hockey. No bullying anymore. All Bruins on their best behavior.

Habs with no real heavyweight get run, players like Subban, Desharnais, Gallagher and Emelin all potentially could have been injured from cheapshots.

If we have a cop on the beat, this stuff doesn't occur as often as Scott demonstrated so effectively.
I agree with this 100%.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I don't want to defend Moen as he really isn't pulling his weight right now, but if we look at his career as a whole, he's never been that big of a fighter. He's actually on pace to have about the same amount of fights as in the past years. He's fought twice in 22 games which averages to about 7 or 8 fights during a full schedule. The issue is that he's not fighting when he should and when we need him to.

Season Fight Total
Only years with fights are shown | Available seasons
2012-2013 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (2)
2011-2012 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (3)
2010-2011 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (8)
2009-2010 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (5)
2008-2009 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (9)
2007-2008 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (7)
2006-2007 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (9)
2005-2006 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (5)

Yeah Moen always seems to get into these really random fights where it didnt look like much was going on, instead of when you'd think he'd be stepping up, especially after watching some of the smaller guys take their lumps.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:01 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

If we don't add an enforcer, I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of pressure for Tinordi to fight when he should just be a tough physical presence. I don't want him to be viewed as a savior and become the next Komi.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No kidding, he seriously needs to get a clue if he thinks Laraque didn't win his fights.
Laraque had to ask permission to fight. Lucic was charging our team and crashing into our goalie and Laraque was asking him nicely to go. Whenever an opponent would make a dirty hit, Laraque would go talk to him. No one is scared of a polite enforcer.

With Chara jumping players like that, teams playing the Bruins will hesitate more to hit a player hard than if they were playing against a polite and disciplined "enforcer".

Old
03-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Prust needs help.

WE NEED a heavyweight on our fourth line. Moen and Armstrong and even White are doing nothing to help him.

Get a HEAVYWEIGHT that can actually win fights.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:16 AM
bud12

****, Mcgrattan was on waivers not long ago. **** my life. Now, is like the most popular player in Calgary after 1 game

Old
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Moen absolutely, Parros can fight and took down Scott earlier this year.

Moen is not the same player since his injury of last year and his contract giving by Bergevin is not something that will be good for us long term. It's cheap but still way too long (4 years)

Old
03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

And by Therrien's comment about Moen and White tough play, we can tell that he's mad at them.

A guy asked him if it would be appreciated to see Moen and White support Prust. MT took a long moment of silent and he said that he prefer to talk about a player like Prust who actually did the job.

I think and i hope MB will adressed that very soon.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:33 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
And by Therrien's comment about Moen and White tough play, we can tell that he's mad at them.

A guy asked him if it would be appreciated to see Moen and White to support Prust. MT took a long moment of silent and he said that he prefer to talk about a player like Prust who actually made the job.

I think and i hope MB will adressed that very soon.
this is what I was thinking when I saw MT comment lol. The guy was piss

Old
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
About John Scott.

We do not just need an enforcer, we need somebody who can WIN a fight. Not Kostopoulos. Not Laraque. Not Moen.

who fits the bill?
Well Laraque can win a fight. In fact he can win 99% of them. The problem was not his pugilistic skills , it was his mindset.

As for who fit the bill the best two candidates are Deryk Engelland and John Erskine imho. Would be really nice to land one of these guys but i asked a bit on the main board and from what i gathered from both Pens and Caps fans it seems that neither of them is available and that their values to their respective team is much higher than it would have in a trade.

Ideally the Habs need a tough stay at home D with size who can play a regular shift and capable of dropping them against the heavies (hence why i think Eng or Ers would be perfect) AND a forward enforcer in the Orr , Scott ect mold who may be dressed for additional toughness if needed.

So basically you replace one of Weber , Kaberle or Bouillon with the tough D and one of the fourth liner with the enforcer when needed and you play with that rotation depending on the circumstances and the opponent

Closed Thread