HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/12/13 "Wash It Away" - Capitals VS Panthers

View Poll Results: How do the Panthers respond to being shut out for the first time this season?
By responding with their own shut out 4 16.67%
Winning the game in heartbreaking fashion for the Caps 7 29.17%
Losing 12 50.00%
By being shut out again 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
LOL Kulikov, what the hell kind of pass was that?
What the hell are you talking about it was right on the tape and in stride.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
That's pretty hypocritical considering you avoided my response as well. And I've already said Luongo isn't coming here because we have Markstrom.... Your turn
Tell me, where does Markstrom rank in save percentage and goals against average in the AHL this season?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Tell me, where does Markstrom rank in save percentage and goals against average in the AHL this season?
We're not giving up major assets for Luongo. Deal with it.

As it is, Luongo is Vancouver's #1 goalie right now, anyway. They should enjoy him.

Old
pantherbot

Quote:
I thought we were sloppy again. Better than in Washinton at least. Hubs took a dumb, unnecessary penalty at a bad time. You can't do that. Kulikov made a retarded pass in OT. There were more
I find it laughable how much of a pass you give to clemmensen, but you will fault the players in front of him for every single mistake.

you basically expect completely mistake free hockey in front of clemmensen, while he can let in 6 (6!) goals and still get basically a free pass from you.

seriously, even that last goal. you know what other goalies would have done? not leave a rebound sitting in the damned crease! or they would have redirected the shot to the side, or gobbled it up, or how about closing that five hole???

Old
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthan900 View Post
I'm glad many are seeing the Panthers' main problem, goaltending. .793! Even Théodore has an average save percentage of .890. This was a win only if. That is to say, only if Dale Tallon would do his job, fix our goaltending problem, it would be a win.
I am actually much more concerned about our defensive system than i am about our goaltending. Horrendous turn overs in our zone, lazy back checking, missed passes ending up on opposition sticks. Every time washington came down the ice tonight it felt like a quality scoring chance.

Im sure ZeroG will be on later to remind us that is the fault of our coach and something Pete Deboer was much better at, and he might be right. Right now our defensive systems are horrid.

Old
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
.923 and 2.54 GAA?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Go ahead and avoid it. I'm done

Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Erick

Quote:
I thought we were sloppy again. Better than in Washinton at least. Hubs took a dumb, unnecessary penalty at a bad time. You can't do that. Kulikov made a retarded pass in OT. There were more
Mistakes in front of the goalie happen sometimes.

All in all, we look a lot better than earlier in the season. We're still 3-1-2 in our last 5.

We finally have a 2nd line. Didn't have that last year. Now if only our goalies started playing the way they did last year. At least somewhat. The #'s are just laughable now.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Gaebriel

Quote:
23rd in GAA, 8th in SV%

Old
02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
You don't score 5 goals in a game to tank.
The tank is safe no matter how many goals you score when Clemmer is in he's a team player.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Tooth Rez

disappointing.. ok, depressing. that 3rd period was straight DeBoer style. not hoping for a tank in any way, but starting to see where the season is headed..

feel like i'm only watching games for the Hubs/Shore/Mueller line.

am i alone in thinking that if theres one positive from this breakdown it's that Markstrom will be given a start sooner than later.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I am actually much more concerned about our defensive system than i am about our goaltending. Horrendous turn overs in our zone, lazy back checking, missed passes ending up on opposition sticks. Every time washington came down the ice tonight it felt like a quality scoring chance.

Im sure ZeroG will be on later to remind us that is the fault of our coach and something Pete Deboer was much better at, and he might be right. Right now our defensive systems are horrid.
I agree our defensive play has been sloppy, but when you score 5 goals, you expect your goaltender to deliver. And to be fair, there was a 10-15 minute stretch where Washington didn't even get a single shot on net

Old
02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...m-mike-gillis/

Why don't you read that before saying anything else.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Lessthan900
Rookie User

Quote:

Yes, if it were only 4--or even 5--goals against, I might agree. The defense is not that bad. Luongo used to face 35-50 shots on many nights in a more defensive-friendly NHL. Somebody above mentioned Anderson doing well. He has faced more shots than Théodore and has a .950 save% and and average of 1.49 goals against.

Old
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I find it laughable how much of a pass you give to clemmensen, but you will fault the players in front of him for every single mistake.

you basically expect completely mistake free hockey in front of clemmensen, while he can let in 6 (6!) goals and still get basically a free pass from you.

seriously, even that last goal. you know what other goalies would have done? not leave a rebound sitting in the damned crease! or they would have redirected the shot to the side, or gobbled it up, or how about closing that five hole???
I already said he has to stop that Ovechkin shot no matter what. I don't expect mistake free hockey, come on, I'm a panther fan. I just know people overreact and put clemmer, a backup goalie under the microscope.

That last goal was a clear cut breakaway. He stopped the first shot. Maybe if Weiss wasn't dogging it back as other people pointed out they might have been able to get to that puck. Clemmer is a backup. He stopped the breakaway and gave up a rebound. It happens. Goals get scored on very high quality scoring chances against backup goalies.

Old
flapanthersfan

Anyone defending Clemmensen in any way after tonight is clueless. Absolutely clueless.

Breakdowns happen in hockey. Thats what goalies are there for.

Every single scoring chance the Capitals earned ended up in our net because Clemmensen is hysterically bad.

The worst part about is this team.is actually playing good hockey, only to get repeatedly punched in the balls by their goaltenders.

Brutal.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:41 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Mistakes in front of the goalie happen sometimes.

All in all, we look a lot better than earlier in the season. We're still 3-1-2 in our last 5.

We finally have a 2nd line. Didn't have that last year. Now if only our goalies started playing the way they did last year. At least somewhat. The #'s are just laughable now.
We look better but so do a lot of teams. The no pre-season, shortened training camp really has an effect on teams.

Mistakes happen, yes. Goalies need to make big plays. Clemmer isn't a decent backup, not a guy who will bail us out on any type of regular basis.

We do finally have a 2nd line. Too bad our 1st line is struggling.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:41 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I agree our defensive play has been sloppy, but when you score 5 goals, you expect your goaltender to deliver. And to be fair, there was a 10-15 minute stretch where Washington didn't even get a single shot on net
Clearly this team needs a couple of game changing saves to get a win and we havent gotten that this season I admit. However the opposite end of the spectrum is the reliance of a goalie to stand on his head every night. I would love a happy medium but reliance upon luongo for the last decade didn't really bring us to promised land either. I fear relying on markstrom to be the team's goaltender and defense is not a viable solution.

I'd rather we straighten out our defensive problems first and then bring in markstrom.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Anyone defending Clemmensen in any way after tonight is clueless. Absolutely clueless.

Breakdowns happen in hockey. Thats what goalies are there for.

Every single scoring chance the Capitals earned ended up in our net because Clemmensen is hysterically bad.

The worst part about is this team.is actually playing good hockey, only to get repeatedly punched in the balls by their goaltenders.

Brutal.
I wont defend clemmer but this team isn't playing good hockey. They've shown flashes but they're not playing 60 minutes of good hockey. The second line, Matthias, Kopecky, and Skille are playing well for the forwards. Weiss and Versteeg haven't been good. Kovalev, lol. Flash is closer to good than bad but 5 on 5 he's been unremarkable.

On D, Campbell has not been as good as he was last year. People are ready to run Kuba out of town, Weaver is getting better. Kulikov plays great then makes a terrible play about once a game. Only Strachan of all people has been steady. Guds has been fine.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
gizmo12688

Maybe we need a Clemmensen jinx thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
I already said he has to stop that Ovechkin shot no matter what. I don't expect mistake free hockey, come on, I'm a panther fan. I just know people overreact and put clemmer, a backup goalie under the microscope.

That last goal was a clear cut breakaway. He stopped the first shot. Maybe if Weiss wasn't dogging it back as other people pointed out they might have been able to get to that puck. Clemmer is a backup. He stopped the breakaway and gave up a rebound. It happens. Goals get scored on very high quality scoring chances against backup goalies.
I really don't mean to put him under a microscope and I really hate to beat on him because he is a professional and I'm sure he is playing the best he can. Unfortunately, Clemmer's best is just not good enough and I know we have a very viable option in Markstrom who is very likely to give us a better chance at winning.

I understand the economic reasons behind keeping Clemmer, and I'm not even sure why I bother to talk about this because I know even after this game there's a good chance we stick with the Theo/Clemmer combo.

It is just SO frustrating to watch us finally play some semi-decent hockey with the kids contributing, and then have all that momentum washed away because we don't have the right person in goal.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Erick

Quote:
with his start tonight vs Minnesota, Luongo will now have played more minutes in net this season than Cory. Nice try.

By the way, when was the last time the Panthers won a playoff series? Oh wait...
Well, Luongo never took us there, that's for sure...

Old
Panteras
perennial loser

Clemmensen is bad I think that much is obvious, but knowing this team, when we get good goaltending then we won't score goals for the life if us...or our defense will be crap..this also goes much deeper than bad goaltending

Old
RainingRats

Quote:
Clearly this team needs a couple of game changing saves to get a win and we havent gotten that this season I admit. However the opposite end of the spectrum is the reliance of a goalie to stand on his head every night. I would love a happy medium but reliance upon luongo for the last decade didn't really bring us to promised land either. I fear relying on markstrom to be the team's goaltender and defense is not a viable solution.

I'd rather we straighten out our defensive problems first and then bring in markstrom.
It's definitely a combination of both. We can't be expected to have our goalie bail us out for every mistake but we've got to be able to bail us out for some, especially at significant points of the game.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Such an huge mistake to resign this scrub.. He has always been a bad goalie, but not only that, we have a freak in the AHL ready to play.. But NO

Closed Thread