HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Does Ryan Whitney have a place in this league?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Ah...that makes much more sense

My instant reaction when I hear Ryan Whitney's name is to go into a murderous rage.
I have a similar reaction to his name. I wonder how the people in Anaheim feel?

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
"As we get better as an organization, there will be players who don't meet our expectations anymore." - Krueger.

Ralph "Freddy" Krueger is laying down the claw.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Don't forget this guy was a giant **** during the canucks run, whining about vancouver when he was golfing.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
topchowda

As a bench warmer for J schultz

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
"As we get better as an organization, there will be players who don't meet our expectations anymore." - Krueger.

Ralph "Freddy" Krueger is laying down the claw.
AS IT SHOULD BE!

Smyth is next on the chopping block I can guarantee you that. And man do I love Smytty! It's heartbreaking to watch this guy completely lose it as a player, but when he and his supposed "veteran leadership" brings down the team and we have horrible flashbacks of Ethan Moreau it becomes the obvious choice.

Good on Kruger for showing these bums that just because you're a vet drawing a paycheque doesn't mean you're entitled to anything.

It's complete bull**** that Whitney is here threatening to demand a trade! Not only is he completely out to lunch that anybody wants him but he's acting like some important piece of the puzzle. We tried, Whitney! Tambo's waaaay ahead of you.

He's a freakin' UFA in a couple months. Good God!

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Don't forget this guy was a giant **** during the canucks run, whining about vancouver when he was golfing.
Well that was justifiable and everyone agreed but yes he has a big ass mouth.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Ogopogo*

Pre-foot injury, Whitney was a top 10 NHL defenseman. Yes, he was that good as an Oiler. Post-foot injury he is an AHLer.

Feel bad for the guy, he was a great player before injuries wrecked his career.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Mouse21*

id give him a shot on the Avs, thats for sure.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Didn't everyone say the same about Wade Redden?

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Pre-foot injury, Whitney was a top 10 NHL defenseman. Yes, he was that good as an Oiler. Post-foot injury he is an AHLer.

No, he wasn't.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
No, he wasn't.
Congratulations on not having seen him play in 2010-11! He was a monster in the most Pierre McGuire sense of the word.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
AS IT SHOULD BE!

Smyth is next on the chopping block I can guarantee you that. And man do I love Smytty! It's heartbreaking to watch this guy completely lose it as a player, but when he and his supposed "veteran leadership" brings down the team and we have horrible flashbacks of Ethan Moreau it becomes the obvious choice.

Good on Kruger for showing these bums that just because you're a vet drawing a paycheque doesn't mean you're entitled to anything.

It's complete bull**** that Whitney is here threatening to demand a trade! Not only is he completely out to lunch that anybody wants him but he's acting like some important piece of the puzzle. We tried, Whitney! Tambo's waaaay ahead of you.

I just hate when this game of telephone turns into total BS. Whitney was answering questions from the media. At no point did he threaten to demand a trade.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Congratulations on not having seen him play in 2010-11! He was a monster in the most Pierre McGuire sense of the word.
And it looks like you haven't seen any games outside of the Oilers in 2010/2011.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
smitty10

Quote:

Ryan Whitney has never been anything near a top 10 defenseman in the league. Top 30? Yes. Top 10? Hell no.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
I just hate when this game of telephone turns into total BS. Whitney was answering questions from the media. At no point did he threaten to demand a trade.
You're right, he didn't ask. But all I hear is "I'm not asking for a trade, but it's getting to that point".

Maybe you hear it differently, maybe I hear it differently. What's bizarre is a player or media personality commenting on the trade status of someone who is UFA at the end of the year.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Richard

Completely jives with what I've heard about Whitney. My buddy worked for years at the Civic Arena and Whitney was only name that popped up in the annual "Which player is a jagoff?" question.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Ryan Whitney has never been anything near a top 10 defenseman in the league. Top 30? Yes. Top 10? Hell no.
If you didn't see him play in 10-11, you can't accurately comment. He was a star until his foot injury and would have seen a few Norris votes.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Old Man Barking

As a Ducks fan, this is no shock. When he played for us he was worse than miserable. He's also too interested in being funny and a character than a good hockey player. He seems to be a bit arrogant and think he deserves much more than he's earned.

Now if only Justin Schultz could start stinking the place up, then I'd be happy.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Luigi Lemieux

I could've told you he was a soft and slow pylon 5 years ago. Softest 6'-4" player i've ever seen.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
AS IT SHOULD BE!

I recall Oiler fans posting last year that Whitney was a true number one defenceman.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I recall Oiler fans posting last year that Whitney was a true number one defenceman.
Well his last 2 seasons, he did have a combined 47p in 86 games.
Injuries hampered his games played, but we didnt think it would hamper his actual skill.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
During Whitney's time in Edmonton prior to his skate getting caught in a rut and ruining his foot/ankle he was the Oilers #1 Dman in every sense of the word.

Feel free to now make comments about how being #1 on the worst D in the league is nothing to be proud of.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Ah...that makes much more sense

My instant reaction when I hear Ryan Whitney's name is to go into a murderous rage.
Was he just a worthless bum for you guys on and off the ice during his tenure in Pittsburgh? Why all the hate.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Well his last 2 seasons, he did have a combined 47p in 86 games.
Injuries hampered his games played, but we didnt think it would hamper his actual skill.
He really went downhill fast. The games I've watched this year he's been your worst defenceman. That move Jagr made on him in OT to score the winning goal was embarrassing for a veteran defenceman.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Was he just a worthless bum for you guys on and off the ice during his tenure in Pittsburgh? Why all the hate.
He had his moments, especially on the power play converting backdoor passes from Crosby, but towards the end of his time here, he was a turnover machine. Add that to the fact that he is 6'4" and is softer than wet tissue and it made him extremely frustrating. He wasn't converting on the power play, making passes along the blue line that turned into breakaways against and was absolutely brutal in his own end. Would refuse to take a hit to make a play, and forget using the body to take the puck from somebody on the boards. He was a joke clearing the front of his net.

As for off the ice, I can't comment too much personally, but I think I've gotten the impression that he was a jerk at times.

His two best moments were a last second goal to tie a game (in Toronto I think) that gave somebody in the crowd a heart attack or pass out or something (they were okay) and a beatdown of Wade Redden.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote