HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why don't we see more sign-and-trades?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Co Ho*

vCash: 500
Why don't we see more sign-and-trades?

Under the right circumstances I think they can be mutually beneficial for both the player and team involved.
An example of this would be Jerome Iginla. Having spent his entire career in Calgary, if he does get traded, why wouldn't he agree to a contract first so Calgary can get some assets back for him? It would benefit Iginla because he might have more leverage on which team he's traded to (a contender).

I'm just curious why we don't see sign-and-trades very much (last one I remember was Setoguchi to the Wild), as they can have a positive impact for both the player and team involved.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Wasn't Setoguchi surprised to see he got traded after he renewed his contract?

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

We did this with Hossa for Heatley and though it helped us it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Probably why a lot of our guys wanted NTC after that.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Wasn't Setoguchi surprised to see he got traded after he renewed his contract?
Yeah I believe so, not really an example of my reasoning haha

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Seto and Hossa a bit different in that they were RFA's, even if they were traded before signing, they really don't have many options.

I think where we might see sign in trades, is now you can offer 1 extra year on contracts with your current clubs, so maybe during FA you might see a player re-sign and then traded to the team he agreed to terms with as a free agent for a late pick or wtv, its done in the NBA often.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

it has to be a mutual decision and at the same time it's hard to sign a contract and then trying to deal it. what if you sign the contract and then you don't get traded. the franchise ciuld get stuck with a contract they didn't want and relationships could be alittle akward after you thought you were signing to get traded. idk.... just doesn't sound easy as much as it should. i see the point in getting a reward back for dealing them signed instead of them walking to ufa

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
hyster110

because sign and trades are beneficial in the NBA for longer contract and more money,a contract is a contract in the NHL the only difference is now home teams get 1 more year

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Under the right circumstances I think they can be mutually beneficial for both the player and team involved.
An example of this would be Jerome Iginla. Having spent his entire career in Calgary, if he does get traded, why wouldn't he agree to a contract first so Calgary can get some assets back for him? It would benefit Iginla because he might have more leverage on which team he's traded to (a contender).

I'm just curious why we don't see sign-and-trades very much (last one I remember was Setoguchi to the Wild), as they can have a positive impact for both the player and team involved.
Can you expand further on how it benefits the player?

I don't see it benefiting the player at all. A player that has several years left on a deal will garner more interest around the league compared to a 1 year rental. So there will be a greater chance he'll get traded to a bad team.

Plus, a player as a free agent gets to choose where he wants to live/play, as opposed to getting traded and being forced to play somewhere.

Signing a player and then trading him is basically the GM lying to his face.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
because sign and trades are beneficial in the NBA for longer contract and more money,a contract is a contract in the NHL the only difference is now home teams get 1 more year
A player has a reason to sign and trade in the NBA, as there's an exemption rule for whether or not a player can resign beyond the salary cap that is reset if a player changes teams. This is transferred with the player, however, if the player is traded.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Because the team receiving the player isn't dictating the price of the contract? The team receiving probably asks for the sign+trade assuming that the team has the sufficient cap space to take on the contract the team making the trade isn't willing to pay for. Also because if the team believes they can sign the player anyway, they don't want to sacrifice assets. Also because maybe the player won't sign the deal if they're being traded to a team they don't want to go to. They have more control if they just decide where to sign.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
BB624

NBA does sign and trades so players get max deals. Most people don't realize LeBron James was a sign and trade deal. Other wise Miami would not have been able to sign him at all.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/07/10/ca...r-draft-picks/

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
SirPaste

Wasnt Turris to OTT a sign and trade?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Wasnt Turris to OTT a sign and trade?
The trade happened a month after the sign.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
SomeDude

With the new CBA and teams being able to sign their own players for an extra year, they'll probably start happening more, but still not as much as the NBA.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:00 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Also the ability to carry some of the contract by the previous team will come into play now. Ex: col could sign RoR, then trade him to a team with a high cap number but carry a % of the cap hit in exchange for assets/value coming back. Basically would work as if the new team gave RoR signing bonus that does not affect their cap.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
NBA does sign and trades so players get max deals. Most people don't realize LeBron James was a sign and trade deal. Other wise Miami would not have been able to sign him at all.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/07/10/ca...r-draft-picks/
I've known that LBJ was a sign and trade, but what happens if Cleveland doesn't trade him?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
mighty all the way

If Justin Schultz did this he wouldn't be my most hated player at the moment. I even suggested to him on twitter to do this.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:22 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
If Justin Schultz did this he wouldn't be my most hated player at the moment. I even suggested to him on twitter to do this.
Most hated player.... by duck fans.

And Lubomir Visnovsky says hi.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Setoguchi was an RFA does that really count?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
If the team signs & trades without telling the player it's an absolute **** move

The player would likely not agree to it because if the team he is going to is willing to trade for him it's likely he'll be able to get a better contract by negotiating with the team that wants him rather than the team that is looking to let him go

The new CBA might change it because of the extra year but I don't think sign & trades will go down much more often

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Most hated player.... by duck fans.

And Lubomir Visnovsky says hi.
That's why I said "my"...

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote