HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stempniak to Pens

Old
02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
The Hendog

vCash: 500
Stempniak to Pens

To Penguins: Lee Stempniak

To Calgary: 2013 2nd Round Draft Pick

Penguins get a winger who has some speed, a good shot, can play the PK and PP and has had a pretty good start to the season; 7 points 5 goals in 10 games playing with an ever rotating line. His cap hit is reasonable at $2.5M for this season and next so shouldn't hurt the Pens in the long term.

2nd round pick might be a stretch return for Calgary in regards to Stempniak but it will likely be a late 2nd round pick and with the Penguins decent prospect pool - I think they would be willing to cough up this years 2nd. Especially as it adds more scoring depth for a deep playoff run hopefully but doesn't hurt them long term financial. Calgary needs as many picks as possibly in this year draft and have lots of wingers so Stempniak is available.

Flame away (pun intended... )

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

No one will reply to this thread since it's not a stupid proposal. I'd rather keep Stempniak and deal Iginla and Cammaleri to be honest. But Stempniak is worth a 2nd, so it's good value.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2525
Fair value. Never really cared for Stempniak because of his inconsistencies, but if we can't land a bigger name then he'd be a solid fallback option.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Dying Alive
Phil = 2x Champ

I think I've seen this proposal floated before.

As a Pens fan it seems fair to me. Best case scenario he shows some chemistry with Sid, worst case scenario he's probably still an upgrade to the top six.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Absent a bigger solution, I really like this one.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Absent a bigger solution, I really like this one.
I don't think you need a bigger solution, Stemps is cheap and would be tied for third in goal scoring on the penguins.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I don't think you need a bigger solution, Stemps is cheap and would be tied for third in goal scoring on the penguins.
I'd like for them to take Iginla though. Still think he's not a liability in his own end?

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
The Pens don't need a bigger solution if they only care about making the playoffs and maybe winning a round. But with Staal gone and James Neal the only winger who can consistently score goals, Malksby can be checked too tightly in the playoffs. The lack of space and finish on their lines is startling at times.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I'd like for them to take Iginla though. Still think he's not a liability in his own end?
Do I? No Iginla is still a great player.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Tangradi + 2nd + 3 mil salary retain

For

Cammy

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Dying Alive
Phil = 2x Champ

Quote:
To be fair that's an anomaly, especially considering he's currently got more goals than Evgeni Malkin. I still think it would be a good deal for the Pens.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post

For

Cammy
Make it Bennet

Old
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Make it Bennet
can't

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Maybe. But the Crosby will just make Dupuis into a first line winger by force of will strategy usually stops working at some point in the playoffs at the latest. I do like this trade though and would not mind it happening at all, just saying Shero better do his due dilligence on other options including Iginla.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:

For

Cammy
I'd rather get one of the defensive prospects than Tangradi.

As with all Cgy/Pit threads, though, this will probably turn into an Iginla one. And it's fair; Flames fans want to see Iginla win a cup, Pens fans want a top line winger to play with Crosby. Heck, if the Flames and Pens did do a deal for Iginla I'd like to see them include one of the supporting wingers (e.g. Stempniak or Cammy at reduced salary) in order to bolster the Pens a little more (and improve the return).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post

As with all Cgy/Pit threads, though, this will probably turn into an Iginla one. And it's fair; Flames fans want to see Iginla win a cup, Pens fans want a top line winger to play with Crosby. Heck, if the Flames and Pens did do a deal for Iginla I'd like to see them include one of the supporting wingers (e.g. Stempniak or Cammy at reduced salary) in order to bolster the Pens a little more (and improve the return).
It probably doesn´t need to become on Iginla thread as there a a few of those already, but as the original Stempniak for 2nd goes, that went down in surprisingly easy, friendly and fast agreement.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:41 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post

As with all Cgy/Pit threads, though, this will probably turn into an Iginla one. And it's fair; Flames fans want to see Iginla win a cup, Pens fans want a top line winger to play with Crosby. Heck, if the Flames andi Pens did do a deal for Iginla I'd like to see them include one of the supporting wingers (e.g. Stempniak or Cammy at reduced salary) in order to bolster the Pens a little more (and improve the return).
Choice of Dumoulin or Maatta
2nd
3mil retained salary

For

Cammy

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Choice of Dumoulin or Maatta
2nd
3mil retained salary

For

Cammy
I'd do it.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
domaug*

Stempniak for a 2nd is certainly fair, but i wouldn't want it to be a plan A trade for the Pens. they should definitely consider it as a plan B though.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
fallsviewafro*

Not unless Calgary dumps Iggy/Cammy. Stempniak has been scoring timely goals all season long and unless the Flames embrace the suck and do a sell-off there is no point in doing this.

fallsviewafro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
sparxx87

I proposed this a week or so ago and it was pretty well received by both fan bases for the most part. Some Penguins fans want a bigger fish, but most who have seen Stempniak play are all for it. He would fit very well into the Penguins system as well as being the second most skilled winger on the team.

Pittsburgh needs a winger (preferably RH) with good hockey IQ, a good shot (Stempniak has a great one) a good set of wheels and one who can play in all 3 zones. Stempniak fits all the criteria and he's on a good contract until the end of next season. He isn't as gritty as Bylsma would probably like, but he does everything else well and would be a very solid pick up.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
If the Flames are out of it, moving him for a 2nd is probably fair value...thats a very late second though.

Wonder if we could get a prospect instead?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
If the Flames are out of it, moving him for a 2nd is probably fair value...thats a very late second though.

Wonder if we could get a prospect instead?
Who are you interested in?

rmartin65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I proposed this a week or so ago and it was pretty well received by both fan bases for the most part. Some Penguins fans want a bigger fish, but most who have seen Stempniak play are all for it. He would fit very well into the Penguins system as well as being the second most skilled winger on the team.

Pittsburgh needs a winger (preferably RH) with good hockey IQ, a good shot (Stempniak has a great one) a good set of wheels and one who can play in all 3 zones. Stempniak fits all the criteria and he's on a good contract until the end of next season. He isn't as gritty as Bylsma would probably like, but he does everything else well and would be a very solid pick up.
I've been thinking he could be a target for awhile. I saw a lot of him with the Leafs and he is a skilled guy. He just has never been able to build on that big season he had for the Blues awhile back.

He is a righty shot, can skate, and has some skill. He can create on his own, which would be a nice change in the Pens top six.

I have caught a few Flames games this year... I think he was playing on the third line, but I may be wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
enviSAGE
U talkin to me punk?

meh.