HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stempniak to Pens

Old
02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
sparxx87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've been thinking he could be a target for awhile. I saw a lot of him with the Leafs and he is a skilled guy. He just has never been able to build on that big season he had for the Blues awhile back.

He is a righty shot, can skate, and has some skill. He can create on his own, which would be a nice change in the Pens top six.

I have caught a few Flames games this year... I think he was playing on the third line, but I may be wrong.
He's never had a playmaker really, always been pretty underwhelming centreman.

He's behind Cammalleri, Iginla, Glencross, Hudler (Tanguay plays C now I think?) Anyway, Calgary is deep on the wings.. I saw a game earlier in the year where he was on the second line, but he seems like a victim of a numbers game in Calgary.

You're right about creating on his own, that seems to be how he scores a lot of goals. Playing with better centreman would yield a little more offense IMO.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've been thinking he could be a target for awhile. I saw a lot of him with the Leafs and he is a skilled guy. He just has never been able to build on that big season he had for the Blues awhile back.

He is a righty shot, can skate, and has some skill. He can create on his own, which would be a nice change in the Pens top six.

I have caught a few Flames games this year... I think he was playing on the third line, but I may be wrong.
Yup, he's spent most of his time with Backlund and a rotating cast of LWs (Glencross, Baertschi, etc) on what is sometimes called the 3rd line, and other times called the 2nd line.

Basically Stemps and Backlund have gotten a lot of the checking duties over the past two seasons. Lots of defensive zone starts, and reasonably tough competition (and 2nd unit PP). Any scoring he's done has been well-earned.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Stempniak has a deadly wrister, he could be a nice cheap find for the Pens.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
SmellOfVictory

The more I think about it, the more I feel like he'd be worth a 1st, given the likely range at which the Pens would be picking. Even if it was Stempniak + 5th for Pit's 1st or something

(sorry to ruin the congenial nature of this thread)

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
The more I think about it, the more I feel like he'd be worth a 1st, given the likely range at which the Pens would be picking. Even if it was Stempniak + 5th for Pit's 1st or something

in that case, no.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Reinhart

Quote:

If it was a first, that deal would be made on the very last hour of deadline day, and only after the Penguins watch their Eastern rivals loading up on bigger fish. I really like Stempniak, and even though he is streaky, he is usually doing something productive (gritty, checking, pushing the puck to the offensive zone) in the times he isn't scoring. Give him a good center (like Backlund seemed to be thus far this year) and a full season - I bet he would be close to a 30 goal scorer seasonally. A very underrated player.

With that being said, tough to give up a 1st for him straight across. I would think perhaps a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th would be closer, rather than a 1st in this draft. A 2nd is excellent value for Stempniak. A 1st is 'desperate in the last hour of trade deadline' madness.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

I think Shero would only move his first in a package for a long term answer at wing or if he decided to get in on the Iggy sweepstakes.

I think a second is fair value, but who knows what Shero is thinking.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
wej20

Quote:

He's definitely not worth a 1st. He's a 20 goal 40ish point winger who isn't particularly physical and is good enough in his own end but not enough to significantly increase his trade value.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:

The first is only going to be moved for a big name ticket. Guys of Stempniak's ilk just aren't worth 1st rounders. I'd give up an extra late pick because our 2nd rounder is likely to be a late one, but if Calgary is insistent on a first rounder Shero would move on.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Calgary does wind up with our 1st rounder anyway, but that would involve Iginla coming back.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:14 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Who are you interested in?
One of Pitts D prospects maybe?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Before the deadline I think Stempniak for a 2nd is a very fair deal.

But if the Flames hold onto him and he continues having a strong season he will probably get more than a 2nd. I don't know if he will ever land a 1st but maybe a 2nd & 3rd, 2nd & a prospect, or maybe even a pair of 2nds.

100 Third Graders is online now   Reply With Quote