HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
goalie311

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
So circle May 31 2013 on your calendars...

A person with knowledge of the negotiations, who asked not to be identified because they are not authorized to discuss city deals, said if an owner is not found by June, the Coyotes will move from Arizona.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html
May 31st for moving a team? Where have we heard that before........

And great article, lots of interesting lines:
Quote:
While negotiations with Jamison continue, other potential buyers have appeared behind the scenes.

“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor".
The cast of Groundcoyote day.

Quote:
He also stated that, because of the abbreviated season due to the lockout, the NHL is not getting any money from the City of Glendale for the arena management.
So does this mean the sale price goes up?

Quote:
“If we can’t get a deal done, or if we are at the same place at the end of the season where we are right now, I don't know how long the NHL would hang on,” Sherwood said. “I know they are looking at a number of cities that they could go to, even though as much as they want this market for television rights, I just cant see them hanging on much longer if we can't get a deal done.”
Conspiracy theory time.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
So circle May 31 2013 on your calendars...
Ya, and quite a bit of information in that article.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
May 31st for moving a team? Where have we heard that before........
Yup... the NHL sure likes May 31 for getting things moving...

I wonder if that "person with knowledge" is someone in the NHL offices...

Old
03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Yup... the NHL sure likes May 31 for getting things moving...

I wonder if that "person with knowledge" is someone in the NHL offices...
Interesting article for sure. The person with 'knowledge (or close) to the situation' is more of a common piece in Sunnuck's articles.

Speaking of which, havn't heard much from him recently...his he still with the PHX business journal?

Old
03-05-2013, 04:19 PM
mesamonster

The fact that Weiers and his counterparts are beginning the process of lifting the hood to determine the cause of engine failure is long overdue. He appears to be systematically excising the cancer cells, Tindall, Skeete, and lets hope someday Beasley will be dragged in and interrogated. No doubt , he was part of the corruption problem that resulted in faulty data being presented to the Council all in the name of ostensibly padding his own pockets prior to performing his Wily Coyote skidaddle from the current apocalypse which is Glendale! Finally, people are beginning to see that the light is far brighter in Glendales future without the Coyotes and the attendant subsidies that have been bandied about in such reckless fashion!

The fat lady is warming up her vocal chords, stage left, anticipating the singing of "On eagles Wings" as the lame dog is put to rest after years of limping hopelessly against the backdrop of corrupt politicians, businessmen, commissioners and empty pocketed investors all trying in vain to make a name for themselves!

Old
03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
The fat lady is warming up her vocal chords, stage left...
Hah! Now dangit! Thats just old school pedagogy & proscenium stagecraft yer workin there! Technically she'd be entering on the Right as the actors face the audience, not vice-versa, entrances made Left to Right only as the audience see the stage as per common reading habits.... Bad guys' "exit stage Left", off into the distance, open possibilities, further criminal activities, incarceration or death. Right for entrance. Centre stage the position of Power. See? Its these little technicalities you keep mesa-ing up! Get with the program! Most annoying!

Old
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
MNNumbers

I read the Sherwood article, and several things stood out to me:

1) In spite of what he says, Mr Sherwood is not looking at with open, honest eyes. He says everything in the area except the theater would die a slow death without the Coyotes. He says this as well (Quoted from the article. I hope it's ok to do this: “Of the 11 candidates (who ran for city council), I was the only one in support of keeping the arena going, not just for hockey, but for the economic development of that area.”). Said quote shows his bias. We have yet to see real numbers from November and December this year compared with other years to see how much difference the team really makes, so I think this is just his 'feeling.' Along with that is the idea that, "At what cost to the city does it make sense to keep the team, so that the businesses stay." Someone under the proposed 320M agreement offered this: Instead of giving money to the Coyotes so they stay, and thus keep the area viable, give the money directly to the store owners...

2) Apparently, he says Beacon has been instructed to put out an RFP. I forget, because I am not a financial guy, but it seems there is something about putting out an RFP that prevents the same sort of out-of-line negotiating with the team. What were the details on that again?

3) The article makes his quotes sound like Beacon is negotiating the sale of the team as well as the lease. That doesn't seem possible, since the League owns the team, not the city, and surely the League is not going to let anyone else negotiate for them.

Therefore, my total take on this article is that there is nothing of real substance here.

Last edited by MNNumbers: 03-05-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
That concept probably belongs in the discard bin. NBA/NHL business models generally involve controlling all arena revenues. Why would the university ever give that type of control to a team?
Ask Carolina. Similar setup.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I read the Sherwood article... nothing of real substance here.
Not sure about your interpretations there MNN.... If, "if" Beacon Sports has been retained by the City of Glendale, they'll simply be acting as Chief Negotiater with prospective buyers of the franchise on behalf of the COG with respect to the Lease of the arena itself along with the Arena Management Contract. Replacing former City Manager Ed Beasley & interim manager Horatio Skeete, City Attorney Craig Tindall. Beacon would report directly to City Council in Executive Session, perhaps directly to Sherwood & Weiers, who would then table whatever Lease & Arena Mgmnt Fee's are recommended & negotiated for approval by the entire Council in a vote. Whomever Beacon is dealing with, whatever potential buyers, their purchase & approval would obviously be dealt with by the NHL itself, price, terms or not, including whatever Lease arrangements & agreements already arranged with Glendale as being acceptable to both parties, to the league itself.

With respect to the RFP's, a second RFP, exclusive of the Coyotes, whereby the team no longer exists, has been sold & moved elsewhere would have to be tendered, as clearly the building requires a Manager. Be it AEG, SMG or whomever. Concerts, events etc. Beacon, SportsCorp and several others act in such capacities, representing municipalities as Consultants in that regard. The previous Mayor & Council refused to even consider putting out feelers from Arena Management Firms, let alone full-on RFP's independent of an NHL franchise being installed, the anchor tenant as they felt doing so would jeopardize negotiations with Reinsdorf/IEH/Hulsizer & Jamison.

In doing so, they were able to perpetuate the fallacies of various reports (Hocking etc) while simultaneously justifying truly out of this world schemes ($100M for parking) and or fee's ($324M+ for Jamison over 20yrs). In the "real world", AMF's even with an NHL franchise not even close to those numbers, and usually seriously performance oriented. Had they received RFP's from whomever, opened it up, considered life without the team, they would have actually gained some leverage in dealing with the NHL & the prospective buyers. That information would have had to have been made public, that lets say several come in (established companies with track records) and bid $3-4-$5M per annum to manage the building, figured they could do something with it, 30, 50 events a year, possibly secure annuals, other smaller anchors, bunch of them, whatever. That Westgate & the arena wouldnt implode, die on the vine, that the prices they were being asked to pay, by the suitors, the NHL were in fact right out of line, one way tickets to municipal bankruptcy.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If my alma mater gave up their revenues for their home games to the Hurricanes, I'm going to find whoever was the AD at the time (probably Les Robinson) and agreed to that and shoot him a few times in the legs.

Last edited by rj: 03-05-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
IIRC, and Tarheel Hockey would probably better suited to fill in the grey areas, NC State put in about $20M towards the Arena construction. Think they receive revs for Wolfpack games but again, Tarheel would probably answer that in more detail.
There's a company called Gale Force that operates the arena (part of the Hurricanes, "gale force winds"). The land the arena sits on is owned by the Centennial Authority, which I presume is part of N.C. State University because N.C. State in another direction from their campus owns the land for a place called Centennial Campus, which is a synthesis of sorts of the university and private business. The arena is right next to N.C. State's football stadium and the State Fairgrounds, so the land was state property already in one form or another before it was built.

Last edited by rj: 03-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Tinalera

It sounds like the current city hall regime are taking a serious look now at things, and seeing the numbers for what they are and not trying to sugarcoat things. It is interesting that the usual names seem to keep being brought up as being interested in the team (though obviously "interested" may have many different meanings).

There isn't much "twittering" going on, everyone seems to be keeping things pretty quiet, and/or there just isn't much going on. I get the (some might suggest "weird") impression that the NHL/CoG and everyone else are actually are all on the same page in regards to what the situation really is. Now they're probably all just trying to figure out how the best way to go forward is for all sides involved.

Akin to everyone staring at a busted vase on the ground, saying "yep, it's broken....yea broken....yea definitely fell off and broke, no question.....wow it really fell down and broke....so now what?"

Edit: Of course NOW I read the thread recently posted....it just goes on and on it does....

Old
03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Good point. I bet if I scanned the archive, I could find more than one comment that I've made that belongs in the thespian column as well.
I think everyone has done that. All part of the process.

Quote:
I think if you check the actuals, you'll arrive at a different conclusion. City revenue from Westgate and Arena have never been enough to offset the annual bond debt servicing. But at least they weren't compounding that shortfall by tossing an absurd AMF payment into the mix as well.
The revenue from Northern Crossing shopping center also goes towards the arena bonds. Whether that's enough added in to cover things I don't know at the moment.

Quote:
Maybe you and I just disagree on Tindall's effectiveness. In my opinion, it's never too early to dismiss individuals who create a wake of wreckage comparable to what has occurred in Glendale. Also, Jan 31 through end of season is only critical if you think persisting the Coyotes in Glendale is imperative. But since there is no economic justification for that position, it's hard to view it is critical.

fwiw.... When Joyce Clark was asked what she thought about Tindall she rated him as average.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
I read the Sherwood article ... nothing of real substance here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Not sure about your interpretations there MNN....
yeah, i gotta agree with killion here. i think there's lots of interesting stuff in that article. not the least of which is that it sure does appear there is now someone on glendale council who seems to have a pretty comprehensive grasp on things and an actual ability to think. sure, he wants the team to stay, but he's much more realistic about it than the old crew.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Hah! Now dangit! Thats just old school pedagogy & proscenium stagecraft yer workin there! Technically she'd be entering on the Right as the actors face the audience, not vice-versa, entrances made Left to Right only as the audience see the stage as per common reading habits.... Bad guys' "exit stage Left", off into the distance, open possibilities, further criminal activities, incarceration or death. Right for entrance. Centre stage the position of Power. See? Its these little technicalities you keep mesa-ing up! Get with the program! Most annoying!
K, you were not supposed to notice! Besides, she is left handed, the last time she exited stage right she lost her footing and got tangled up in the stage light electrical cords! From now on the lady with the heavy tenor chords will defy the actors guild, light up the tune and wave her toosh to the leftI!

Old
03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Couple of things from the Star Article... call it misunderstanding, misdirection, mistaken...

It was stated in the article that Sherwood advocated taking the negotiations out of Skeete's hands and hiring a professional negotiator. That in February Skeete issued an RFP. According to Sherwood the "RFP directing Beacon Sports Capital Partners, LLC" to handle all duties has not been made public yet. The following quote...

Quote:
“He (city manager) is utilizing Beacon Sports as the broker to bring the bids in and evaluate them,” Sherwood said. “The RFP is not on the street yet and therefore I haven't seen the final contents.”
Well if you beleve Joyce Clark, as I summarized before

Quote:

RFP (being made public) can be avoided if Beacon is indeed the negiator under contract with CoG. Clark says Glendale would set "objectives" to BSC, under the contract. If Beacon was not contracted by the City, Glendale would have to issue a public RFP.

Regarding Tindall's absence - any deputy attorney can write up the contract based upon Skeete's, or new City Manager's direction, with instruction from City Council. Also says eventually Council will have to publicly vote to make it official Beacon is the consultant/negotiator. Can be done retroactively... however Glendale:

Quote:
"does not have to reveal the terms of the consultancy contract. NO transparency is definately possible."
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=634

Another portion of the article seems to implicate that Beacon is currently doing a feasibility study and cited their website as the source for that recent (as in "is") feasibility study... “Advising the City of Glendale pertaining to a feasibility study concerning the Phoenix Coyotes.” I thought we established that was on their site well before Beacon resurfaced recently and that feasibility study was done right before the BK proceedings?

Then there's this quote attributed to Sherwood

Quote:
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
So it's easy to correlate The Reinsdorfs and Beacon, Leblanc and Woods... then there's Hulsizer.

Yet... (again from my previous post)

Quote:
The local Sports Talk guys had this to say

Quote:
Talked to Matt Hulziser yesterday on phone. He is not involved in a new deal. Says team is "50/50" on staying.
Lastly, regarding the "source" that provided the June deadline, could it have been Sherwood himself (speculation on my part of course)?

Quote:
Councilmember Sherwood said he thinks they have the rest of the season to find an owner for the Coyotes, but after that the team may move out of Glendale. This process has been going on for four years. He thinks a professional negotiator might be the answer to get this deal done. In the meantime, they need to discuss how to keep the arena viable if the Coyotes leave Glendale. They have only a few months to get this deal done or come up with a plan B.
http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agen...tes/020513.pdf

To all the above.. which is it?

Old
03-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

In other Glendale news (Another summary)

First... nothing so far on the outcome of the Exec Session regarding Skeete's and City Clerk Pam Hanna's "review".

It appears that the 10K room-nights / 200K visitors utilizing the Job are in fact the Jehovah Witnesses and it will be an event during the summer that is 4 3-day weekends

City is negotiating with the AZ Cardinals to house a "bubble tent" for Cardinal training camps... 15 yr deal. Here's what is interesting

Quote:
Paul Giblin‏@PaulGiblinAriz

Giant bubble tent would cover 1 1/2 fields and would stand 12 months a year. #AzCardinals would pay for it; city would own it in 15 years.
Quote:

Others could lease the #AzCardinals' bubble tent when the team isn't using it. City could schedule a voting meeting soon to OK the deal.
Quote:

#Glendale and #AzCardinals' dispute about parking would be wrapped into the training camp deal.
and

Quote:

#AzCardinals camp would provide economic impact of $15.3 million, #Glendale says. More business at Westgate City Center, Tanger Outlet mall.
Giblin adds that the $15.3M is to be realized in the first year, per the City. Cost to the City?

Quote:

#Glendale councilman Martinez says the #AzCardinals camp deal needs more work. City's investment is $325,000.
Timeline/Feed

Old
03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Not sure about your interpretations there MNN.... If, "if" Beacon Sports has been retained by the City of Glendale, they'll simply be acting as Chief Negotiater with prospective buyers of the franchise on behalf of the COG with respect to the Lease of the arena itself along with the Arena Management Contract. Replacing former City Manager Ed Beasley & interim manager Horatio Skeete, City Attorney Craig Tindall. Beacon would report directly to City Council in Executive Session, perhaps directly to Sherwood & Weiers, who would then table whatever Lease & Arena Mgmnt Fee's are recommended & negotiated for approval by the entire Council in a vote. Whomever Beacon is dealing with, whatever potential buyers, their purchase & approval would obviously be dealt with by the NHL itself, price, terms or not, including whatever Lease arrangements & agreements already arranged with Glendale as being acceptable to both parties, to the league itself.

With respect to the RFP's, a second RFP, exclusive of the Coyotes, whereby the team no longer exists, has been sold & moved elsewhere would have to be tendered, as clearly the building requires a Manager. Be it AEG, SMG or whomever. Concerts, events etc. Beacon, SportsCorp and several others act in such capacities, representing municipalities as Consultants in that regard. The previous Mayor & Council refused to even consider putting out feelers from Arena Management Firms, let alone full-on RFP's independent of an NHL franchise being installed, the anchor tenant as they felt doing so would jeopardize negotiations with Reinsdorf/IEH/Hulsizer & Jamison.

In doing so, they were able to perpetuate the fallacies of various reports (Hocking etc) while simultaneously justifying truly out of this world schemes ($100M for parking) and or fee's ($324M+ for Jamison over 20yrs). In the "real world", AMF's even with an NHL franchise not even close to those numbers, and usually seriously performance oriented. Had they received RFP's from whomever, opened it up, considered life without the team, they would have actually gained some leverage in dealing with the NHL & the prospective buyers. That information would have had to have been made public, that lets say several come in (established companies with track records) and bid $3-4-$5M per annum to manage the building, figured they could do something with it, 30, 50 events a year, possibly secure annuals, other smaller anchors, bunch of them, whatever. That Westgate & the arena wouldnt implode, die on the vine, that the prices they were being asked to pay, by the suitors, the NHL were in fact right out of line, one way tickets to municipal bankruptcy.
Perhaps let me clarify my comment about "No real substance"

I might have been more precise to say "No new news here."

The one city council who admits to being an advocate of the team (see my comment in red above, quoted from the article) is hoping for a 12M/yr - 12 year deal, which he thinks is palatable. We all know that is still out of line. So, that comment isn't new, and doesn't mean very much.

The same CC member talks about Westgate failing with Coyotes, and arenas needing anchors. We have heard that so many times. We know the Shopping District doesn't come close to paying the freight for the AMF. So, no news there.

The same CC member mentions Beacon Sports. That name has already been in the discussion as well. So has an RFP - Weiers mentioned that. So, that's not really new.

The names of all the potential buyers that he mentioned are not only not new, they have been mentioned before since the Jan 31 deadline passed. So, new buyer's names not new.

The one thing that is new is his own interpretation that May 31 may be a harder deadline. That is new.

In short, what I meant was, "This sounds like a guy who would love the team to stay, and would be glad to overpay slightly to keep them (12M rather than ~6, etc), and he is trying to stay positive and give a positive light, even he really knows deep down that it is a long shot."

Now, if you want to say that his mentioning a possible May 31 ending, and his mentioning Beacon and an RFP are all newsworthy in that they lend further credence to idea that more and more people are starting to admit that it isn't going to work right now in PHX, with the atmosphere that has developed, I can see that.

Perhaps that is the real news here.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Well, they both include a University. I'm not sure that makes them similar though. Either way, I appreciate the opportunity to do some quick research. Here’s what I found:

*Standard disclaimers: All data presented is for entertainment purposes only. I defer to the expertise of individuals more familiar with the local subject matter discussed below. When prudent, generalities are used to assist in ease of reading.

Carolina
The Centennial Authority (“CA”) was created by an act of the NC General Assembly in 1995 to study, design, plan, construct, own and operate a regional, multi-purpose facility, which was to become the home of North Carolina State Wolfpack men’s basketball and the Carolina Hurricanes hockey franchise.

CA is: Twenty-one members appointed by State of North Carolina, Wake County, the City of Raleigh, and the Wake County Mayors. The Chancellor of North Carolina State University is a permanent member of the CA.

CA owns the facility. The construction was funded by distinctive contributions from: State of North Carolina, the City of Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina State University and the Carolina Hurricanes. The primary financing mechanism was a Wake County levied room occupancy and a prepared foods and beverage tax.

NET RESULT: Public entity (CA) owns an arena facility. Construction lien against hotel and restaurant tax revenues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADER NOTE

Pass Through Lease (“PTL”)

PTLs are the most common element of professional sports facility agreements. The PTL allows a publicly owned facility to be leased to a private LLC as “arena manager”. Let’s call this entity Arena LLC (“ALLC”). Then, the ALLC leases use of the arena to a professional sports team. Let’s call that entity Franchise LLC (“FLLC”). The trick is, the sports team owns both LLCs.

You must understand PTLs in order to understand professional sports facility agreements.
In Carolina, the arena is operated by Gale Force Sports and Entertainment (“GFSE”). GFSE is a division of the Carolina Hurricanes. GFSE transfers majority of the building revenue opportunities to Hurricanes Hockey Limited Partnership (“HHLP”) in a Pass Through Lease. HHLP is a division of the Carolina Hurricanes.

NET RESULT: CA leases management of arena to GFSE in exchange for rent payment of about $3MM per year. Then, GFSE leases use of arena to HHLP. HHLP realizes majority of building revenues.

Carolina appears to have a pretty traditional arena structure. A public entity provides the primary financing mechanism, receives a nominal rent, then gives control of the building to a ALLC. Subsequently, the ALLC leases the bulk of the building revenues to a FLLC.

In this example, Karmanos controls both the ALLC and the FLLC. He pays $3MM in rent and then he can cut whatever deal he wants with himself as well as provide whatever accounting he wants. That is not to say that any fraud or abuse occurs. Rather, it merely identifies the opportunity for fraud and abuse to occur.

For their contribution, NCSU plays games at the arena and receives revenues from their games. They do not participate in bulk revenues (naming, suite, premium, etc)
Sources: Centennial Authority, PNC Arena
Footer: There is also a great report on GFSE operations. It almost perfectly comports to BarneyG's arena management model of $5MM fix cost; variable op/ex. I wasnt compelled to properly source the data though, so I'll have to come back to it later.

Arizona
The university’s plans center on developing enough fee-generating office, retail and residential space to pay for the renovation of Sun Devil Stadium and for other new state-of-the art sports facilities.” – From the linked article.

This is a completely different structure. This proposal doesn’t use tax revenue as the primary financing mechanism. The statement indicates that construction activities will be funded by revenues from space use agreements. That is a lot more volatile. It also doesn’t distribute capital obligations across multiple entities. Arizona State University would almost assuredly need to persist control of stadium and arena revenues in order to make such a plan work. In fact, the funding source is so risky that I would doubt this model would ever break ground.

Anyway, it’s obviously not a similar set up. So let’s just toss that in the discard bin.

Last edited by CasualFan: 03-05-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
To all the above.. which is it?
Earlier he lets on much, that an RFP was in fact tendered & agreed to, employing Beacon to negotiate Lease & AMC/F with supposedly 4 interested parties, whomever else, speculated about elsewhere, so seemingly now confirmed.... yet at the end, he's like someone who's minds been taken over by a non-sentient being. Words to the effect that "it might be a good idea to hire a professional negotiator" etc etc. As if at some point in the interview he realizes too late to fully retract; thats he said way too much about it, weakly trying to brush his tracks from the sand using a branch bereft of leaves and doing a lousy job of it.... yes, I think his earlier statement is true, the latter cover, an attempted & obvious misdirect having let it slip out accidentally that Beacons already in play.... As for Hulsizer denying he's pursuing anything with Beacon/Glendale/NHL? You ask that man the time M4B, look outside to see if its night or day, AM or PM.

Quote:
The same CC member mentions Beacon Sports. That name has already been in the discussion as well. So has an RFP - Weiers mentioned that. So, that's not really new.... The names of all the potential buyers that he mentioned are not only not new, they have been mentioned before since the Jan 31 deadline passed. So, new buyer's names not new.... The one thing that is new is his own interpretation that May 31 may be a harder deadline. That is new.... In short, what I meant was, "This sounds like a guy who would love the team to stay, and would be glad to overpay slightly to keep them (12M rather than ~6, etc), and he is trying to stay positive and give a positive light, even he really knows deep down that it is a long shot."
Well, he actually "confirms" (then bizarrely retreats from) Beacons involvement; he confirms that the same faces are still sniffing around (despite Hulsizers public denial, yet who also opines "its 50/50 they'll stay"? Unhuh? Pretty frikin optimistic odds wouldnt you say?). Then he lets it drop that there is in fact a "Deadline", May 31st, when according to the NHL, "no Deadline exists, our patience is not infinite, but were hopeful a transaction will be completed soon" or words like that whenever asked.... So youve got Beacon on retainer; what looks like Kaites/Reinsdorf, Le Blanc & Hulsizer along with Jamison still circling and purportedly a 4th entity also having entered the fray. None of them, according to Weiers, putting anything down & on the table; denying Beacons been retained; contradicted by Sherwood who then contradicts himself not 3 minutes later; lets drop that its more than likely the NHL's given Last Minute Warning of May 31, 2013; and a few other nuggets in that article that certainly, after no news at all, is all told a veritable feast of information MNN.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:19 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Since we were on the subject of sports facilities.... I found this one discussing Cactus League cities and their stadiums....

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-stadiums.html

Interesting couple of snippets from it...

Quote:

In four years of operation at Camelback Ranch, Glendale has lost an average of $18,882 annually. The Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers are responsible for most day-to-day operations there. In 2012, the city’s revenue agreement with Phoenix kicked in, and Glendale made $57,804.
That caught me by surprise a little.... but if you go farther down..

Quote:

A new model

Some cities are moving away the traditional city-run ballpark setup.

At Glendale’s Camelback Ranch, the White Sox and Dodgers run day-to-day operations. Glendale paid $200 million to build the facility, a portion of which it expects to get back from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority.

The city also provides fire and police services each year, a combined $42,208 to $53,808 annually, along with about $25,000 in transportation staff costs. Capital expenses, another city responsibility, have ranged from $55,335 to $128,557 per year.

Still, an agreement with Phoenix, where the stadium is located, gives Glendale 80 percent of the sales-tax revenue generated in and around the ballpark for 40 years or the city is paid $37 million.

Mesa’s new contract with the Cubs is closer to what Glendale is doing at Camelback Ranch than the more traditional Cactus League model.

Under the current deal, the Cubs, Mesa and HoHoKams civic group have different splits of the ticket revenue, concessions and sponsorships, said Brady, Mesa’s city manager. The city hired groundskeepers and staff to take care of the fields, operate concessions and run the stadium on game days.
Interesting that the article suggests Glendale will get a portion of their construction costs back (i had heard it was possibly 80%), but iirc..... the AZSTA (stadium authority) was not going to reimburse them because they had money issues of their own. And the payments on those construction bonds were due to kick in this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:26 AM
goyotes

Yes...I'm going there...attendance.

Next two home games appear to have about 12K - 13K tickets sold and I don't expect much walk up.

However, the following home games against the Nucks and the Wings appear they will sell out, or come close to selling out.

New business plan for the Coyotes. Play only home games against Original Six or Canadian teams. Attendance will not be an issue.

Does anyone think the NHL might approve this "Coyotes specific" schedule?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post

Next two home games appear to have about 12K - 13K tickets sold and I don't expect much walk up.

However, the following home games against the Nucks and the Wings appear they will sell out, or come close to selling out.

New business plan for the Coyotes. Play only home games against Original Six or Canadian teams. Attendance will not be an issue.

Don't make it this easy.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Footer: There is also a great report on GFSE operations. It almost perfectly comports to BarneyG's arena management model of $5MM fix cost; variable op/ex. I wasnt compelled to properly source the data though, so I'll have to come back to it later.
I'd love to see that eventually, not because it suggests I was right () but because I'm interested in that stuff!

Old
03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post

you know if the Arizonans are going to make these jokes, that won't leave much for for us sarcastic relocationalists to do

Closed Thread