HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Joe Buck tries calling a hockey game

Old
02-12-2013, 09:31 PM
littleD

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Buck mooned us, that's disgusting!!

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
BoHorvat53
Crabs!

Don't watch football or baseball, but he seemed pretty good. Especially since he only follows the Blues and not the NHL.

BoHorvat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Theon
Currently Reek

I'll watch this to fall asleep tonight.

Theon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Not a fan at all.

Look, sports is supposed to be fun. What's the fun in hearing a lot of analysis if it's delivered in a tone that's more fitting of a proctologist explaining the procedure he's about to perform and what he's looking for?

An announcer is supposed to be the eyes of the fan. Too many radio announcers forget this; they don't paint a picture of what's going on. Too many TV guys forget their job as well; even if the person is sitting there watching the game, they're supposed to be able to set the scene and transmit the emotion, the ebb and flow of the game. That's why I like Gus Johnson and Sean McDonough, because you can hear the joy and emotion, rather than something that comes across like reading a loan application.
I agree about radio announcers. However, TV announcers only need to identify players. I enjoyed Joe Buck doing the games and I enjoy when he calls the NFL and MLB. My favourite announcer bar none though is Pat Summerall, he only says what is necessary.:

As far as hockey goes, my favourite announcer is Bob Cole:

I hate announcers that describe ever minute detail of every single play. They are on TV and there is no reason why they have to yack every second of every play. The only sport that announcer have to talk is baseball where they have to fill in the time between pitches.

Among the worst announcers I have ever heard is Jim Hughson. Play one of the mid-90s NHL games and you will hear the exact same phrases he uses today. He is boring, biased and robotic. The Ducks crew is awful too.

Then again, I can't be too critical, I've played with the TSN display at the HHOF and I can't even keep up with the names being displayed on the screen and having seen the play many, many, many times. It is so much more difficult than it looks.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Bonzai

Thought he did a great job, coming from someone who enjoys his calls on Fox.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Stonewall

To me prime Bob Cole is a perfect example of a great announcer who stays objective and doesn't go overboard with excitement (not that being excited is a bad thing).

On the other hand, I would consider Joe Back a bad announcer. From his monotone voice to his political correctness.

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Snow Soccer

I used to hate Joe Buck for a couple years, mostly from stuff I read on the internet and kind of hopped on that Joe Buck hate bandwagon (hated he called Moss's mooning a disgusting act, the Tyree call & really enjoyed Artie Lang trashing Buck on his own talk show), but starting last year and just watching some of his broadcasts I changed my tune. He's got a great voice for broadcast and really has presence. You kind of feel like whatever he's broadcasting it's important and at times, epic. He also doesn't overtalk and sometimes after (and sometimes during) big plays just lets the noise/excitement of the crowd do the talking. He isn't very excitable and is a pretty corporate/politically correct, but he's definitely not as bad as what so many people online say he is.

Edit: Also I hate Doc Emrick's whiny, nasaly voice but I think whoever does the HNIC has a great voice. Wish they offered CBC here, definitely would prefer that over NBC/NBCSN's top broadcast team.

Snow Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Ramenbot

People who are saying Buck is the best announcer in the US today...I just don't know. There are no words for that. Even if Buck were a good announcer, nobody touches Vin Scully, who may be the greatest broadcaster in sports history (and ever my hyperbole there doesn't do Scully justice, because he really is that good).

Ramenbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Personally, I think he does a hell of a job at baseball.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Bobby G

I was watching live and thought it was awesome, Blues broadcast seems to blow most teams out of the water. Pang is the man

As for Buck I thought he did really well considering he was out of his element. He has a great voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenbot View Post
People who are saying Buck is the best announcer in the US today...I just don't know. There are no words for that. Even if Buck were a good announcer, nobody touches Vin Scully, who may be the greatest broadcaster in sports history (and ever my hyperbole there doesn't do Scully justice, because he really is that good).
Vin Scully is incredible, nobody is even close. The first time I heard him I was on my laptop within 5 minutes to find out more about him.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Holocene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Personally, I think he does a hell of a job at baseball.
That's because baseball is boring and Joe Buck is boring. Perfect fit

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Gus Johnson is awful. If you need the game hyped for you, you aren't a fan.
Speaking as a broadcaster, I hate Gus Johnson's style. He's wildly uneven and abrasive on the mic. It's frustrating to listen to because it's almost like he's trying to one-up the game itself. A good broadcaster should complement the game, not supersede it. Guys like Al Michaels, Doc Emerick, and Marv Albert tell the story of the game rather than trying to manufacture one. Same for Joe Buck.

That said, people who have never put on a headset or stood in front of a camera have no idea how difficult it is to do what Buck does and not sound like a babbling toddler. It's a tremendous exercise for the brain, and the fact that Buck could do as well as he did coming in completely cold is a testament to his skill as a broadcaster. Whether people want to admit it or not, the guy is one of the best.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
The man can't call his own sport properly and they're giving him something faster paced? Yeah, never would have guessed that was a terrible idea.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Banana Sandwiches

He didn't do a bad job or anything, but damn his voice is so boring. This guy could make a goal mouth scramble in game 7 of the Finals in OT sound boring.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
NjDevsRR

The man has a tremendous voice.

The man has no enthusiasm.

The man ruined one of the all time greatest in all of sports, always hate him calling my Giants.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Holocene

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
The man has a tremendous voice.

The man has no enthusiasm.

The man ruined one of the all time greatest in all of sports, always hate him calling my Giants.
This sums up my feelings. After that lame ass call on the Tyree catch... I just hear his voice and become filled with irrational rage.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:33 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
My feelings:

An announcer is just a specialized Journalist. Journalists are not supposed to show emotion. Just the facts. The fact Buck doesn't get enthused is a plus to me.

Imagine tomorrow if you opened up the paper and the article went:

The POPE has RESIGNED FROM HIS POSITION, OH BABY! WHAT A CRAZY TURN OF EVENTS!

No, bad Journalism. I feel the same of Play-by-play guys. What you guys hear as a lack of "enthusiasm" I hear as professionalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Thank god someone understands this. I'm slanted as a former journalism student but FFS not all play by play guys are fanboys. Sometimes less is more with announcing. That's my view anyway.

How many play by play guys would we have to start threads about until no one complained about any of them....
Yeah, I thought the color commentary guy is supposed to be the enthusiastic homer while the play-by-play guy is the calm professional that sticks with it no matter what happens.

Joe is best at baseball, it is what suits him. A poster mentioned Vin Scully as the best in baseball. That's almost not a fair comparison for the field. Scully is an institution, the voice of three generations. The man has been calling Dodgers games since they were in Brooklyn. He has had 60 years to hone his craft calling Dodgers games. Scully is the voice of a team like few others in baseball. Harey Carey in Chicago. Jack Buck in St. Louis. Bob Ueker in Milwauke. Broadcasters of their caliber don't tend to stay with a single sport these days. And even if they do, they go for the national paycheck over staying with a single team. Both Bob Costas and Joe Buck worked for KMOX here in St. Louis very early in their careers, but the lure of bigger and better events and paychecks was too much. I highly doubt we see the likes of a Vin Scully again.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:47 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
The man can't call his own sport properly and they're giving him something faster paced? Yeah, never would have guessed that was a terrible idea.
Wait, Joe Buck has played sports?

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:11 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

I don't get why everyone hates him so much, i always thought he did a good job for Fox on the NFL, rarely ever makes a mistake calling the action

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:24 AM
MysticLeviathan

I think it's silly how people are complaining how boring he is. Vin Scully is as monotonous as they get, he almost never show emotion, yet he is arguably the greatest sports commentator who ever lived.

If you're gonna pick on him for something, don't let is be his lack if of emotion.

MysticLeviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Bob Cole is amazing. It's a shame I didn't grow up on him or get a chance to watch games he commentated on more when I was younger, but if I did I'd imagine I'd view him in the same light as I do the likes of Jack Buck, Vin Scully, Al Michaels or Marv Albert. Just watching old games now, I can see why people hold him in such high esteem as a broadcaster. He just has "it" like the aforementioned (the "it" that makes the game even more watchable and adds to the atmosphere).

Doc Emerick too, actually (right as I was getting into hockey during the NHL on Fox days and watched the Devils win the cup).

Jim Hughson gets on my nerves and makes a game unwatchable.

Joe Buck definitely has his moments. He's listenable and I don't disklike him, but I can see why he would grate on the nerves of someone else.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:50 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Personally, I was impressed. Then again I am a Penguins fan, so anything caught between Lange and Steigy is impressive.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:34 AM
heutZe

I think it was pretty good. His voice suits hockey.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's an okay football announcer. I guess people who hate him didn't like Pat Summerall either, who in my opinion is the greatest football announcer ever.

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

I rather have him do hockey then baseball, just sayin.

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
If you need the game hyped for you, you aren't a fan.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree with this statement.

Fans are all about hype. That's why fans love trade rumors, drafts, and pre/post game analysis. That's why fans aren't GMs and coaches. Why would that hype end with the play-by-play?

Say you are listening to the Joe Buck-David Tyree catch on the radio, you have no idea how incredible that catch is. It sounds like a rollout, then a completion on a crossing pattern, routine catch...not one of the most legendary catches in Super Bowl history. Good announcers have an idea of when unbelievable moments in sports occur. Buck can be a speak and spell sometimes. No. Tone. Inflection.

If you follow bad teams (as a Jaguars fan, I'm familiar with bad teams), you want hype from an announcer. Do you want announcers of bad teams to show no emotion, and announce a game while boring fans to death? That doesn't keep fans, and when your team is bad, you need to keep all the fans you can.

If you follow good teams, you want an announcer to show emotion with a win. Regardless of expectations, a win should be hyped, and make the fans feel good about their team getting the job done. A boring call gives no sense of occasion to a game.

Regarding hockey, Buffalo has had bad teams, yet their announcers always shows emotion. Tampa Bay has had a lot of bad teams, yet their announcers (TV & radio) always show emotion. Toronto has had bad teams, and their announcers show emotion...any Canadian team for that matter. That shows identity with the fans. I want an announcer that can somewhat identify with fans, getting excited during exciting moments...calling a team awful when they play awful.

Fans love hype. ESPN makes a living off of hype. While I absolutely hate ESPN, hype is what attracts fans. If you prefer the game hyped, you're a fan.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote