HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Fire Scott Howson, name Jarmo Kekalainen replacement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
  #626
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Correlation != causality.

I still consider it an embarrassment.
I think *everyone* knows by now you think the demonstration was an embarrassment...let's not derail the thread any more with that.

The fact of the matter is there was a demonstration that demanded change in the CBJ front office. Whether as a result of, or simply that change was already underway, we now have that change and we should focus on that instead of who did what, when.

Whatever your opinion of it, we are where we are today as a fanbase with that as part of our history. If the 'protest' didn't initiate change in and of itself, it certainly illustrated that many passionate fans were on board with the idea of such upheaval.

Frankly, whether it had a real effect or not, I am proud that enough fellow fans cared to organize and attend such an event over just a few days of planning. I'd rather that a group of people do this then than later have another group have to organize a similar event to keep the CBJ in Columbus because of years and years of additional failures. If F.A.N.S. want to 'take credit', who cares, really? In the end, we all win here.

Let's get back to talking about the new guy.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:43 PM
  #627
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
BTW, for those who say the 'fan protest' last year had nothing to do with the changes that have been made, JD and now JK, on XM hockey this morning in an interview with Pete Weber, Nashville TV broadcaster, he brought up the "demonstration in downtown Columbus last year and how it brought attention that the fans wanted change and now they have it. That was the whole purpose, to be heard, and they were!


No one will ever know the impact if any but it is part of recorded history-no one can deny that:

"Hits and misses: Scott Howson timeline"

July 23, 2012: Fulfilled the trade request of captain Rick Nash by trading him to the New York Rangers in exchange for forwards Artem Anisimov and Brandon Dubinsky, defenseman Tim Erixon and a first-round draft pick.

Jan. 28, 2012: Was not present as a crowd of more than 250 Blue Jackets fans gathered on the plaza outside Nationwide Arena for a grassroots protest of the direction of the team. The protesters demanded that Howson and team president Mike Priest be fired.

Feb. 12, 2013: Fired by the Blue Jackets

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...-timeline.html

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  #628
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
I listed all of the Blues first round picks while he was there. Not sure how that is pointing out one thing, especially when I pointed out Petro and Backes.
I bolded the specific thing I was referring to in my quote. If you can't figure it out, I can't help you. Probably best to move on, then.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
  #629
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!
 
HoldFast13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Friggin' Gary Galley just referred to the CBJ lineup as "a bunch of throwaways nobody wanted" what a ******.

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  #630
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
Friggin' Gary Galley just referred to the CBJ lineup as "a bunch of throwaways nobody wanted" what a ******.

Source?

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  #631
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
XM NHL radio had a piece on JK and the move by JD around 11:15 today, it was all positive.... they said the passionate (I think that was the word) CBJ fans deserve a new course (or something like that).

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  #632
IHeartZherdev
Registered User
 
IHeartZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Also, the Blues have a GM. His name is Doug Armstrong. He just got handed a 5-year extension.

The Blues ownership took over, vetted their front office, and then basically showed JD the door and handed Doug Armstrong a 5-year extension. I think that is a pretty clear sign of who they felt was responsible there.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy Howson is gone and definitely like the move and hire for Jarmo.

However, for fans and for JD himself to be acting like he and Jarmo "built" the St. Louis Blues is a little sketchy, and also, the Blues so far have been mostly average and then had one great season under Hitch. This is not a situation like Dale Tallon building the Blackhawks.

JD's biggest thing with the Blues, and so far here, is getting the media to cover him favorably and getting season ticket holders and fans back in the building. That is a huge skill and he is great at giving speeches about "going north" and going "brick by brick"." getting the locals and media to buy back in is no small thing. That said, Doug Armstrong was/is still the Blues GM.

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  #633
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!
 
HoldFast13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
It was XM radio but I just heard it (I don't think it was a replay) kind of rubbed me the wrong way like he had our operation all figured out. I guess I'd be in a smug mood if I had to endure Bob Cole bellowing my ear all the time.

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
  #634
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
Friggin' Gary Galley just referred to the CBJ lineup as "a bunch of throwaways nobody wanted" what a ******.
goes well with the island of misfit toys line. That seems to be the stance de jour. Since a new President was hired and now a new GM then there must be nothing there, you know cuz if there were, there wouldn't be any changes. I would also guess that a fair number had no idea JD had even been hired. We're not the center of the Hockey universe so why should anybody bother to do any background work.

Hey we ought to be used to it by now. The CBJ WILL start knocking some NHL heads around a lot sooner than any outside this fan base believes possible. Then they will all be scratching their heads wondering "how the h@#$ did that happen?"

Our day is coming and lots of crow will be served.

__________________
__________________

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
  #635
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!
 
HoldFast13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
goes well with the island of misfit toys line. That seems to be the stance de jour. Since a new President was hired and now a new GM then there must be nothing there, you know cuz if there were, there wouldn't be any changes. I would also guess that a fair number had no idea JD had even been hired. We're not the center of the Hockey universe so why should anybody bother to do any background work.

Hey we ought to be used to it by now. The CBJ WILL start knocking some NHL heads around a lot sooner than any outside this fan base believes possible. Then they will all be scratching their heads wondering "how the h@#$ did that happen?"

Our day is coming and lots of crow will be served.
Amen

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
  #636
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Also, the Blues have a GM. His name is Doug Armstrong. He just got handed a 5-year extension.

The Blues ownership took over, vetted their front office, and then basically showed JD the door and handed Doug Armstrong a 5-year extension. I think that is a pretty clear sign of who they felt was responsible there.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy Howson is gone and definitely like the move and hire for Jarmo.

However, for fans and for JD himself to be acting like he and Jarmo "built" the St. Louis Blues is a little sketchy, and also, the Blues so far have been mostly average and then had one great season under Hitch. This is not a situation like Dale Tallon building the Blackhawks.

JD's biggest thing with the Blues, and so far here, is getting the media to cover him favorably and getting season ticket holders and fans back in the building. That is a huge skill and he is great at giving speeches about "going north" and going "brick by brick"." getting the locals and media to buy back in is no small thing. That said, Doug Armstrong was/is still the Blues GM.
And so it begins....

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
  #637
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
It was XM radio but I just heard it (I don't think it was a replay) kind of rubbed me the wrong way like he had our operation all figured out. I guess I'd be in a smug mood if I had to endure Bob Cole bellowing my ear all the time.
I have sat radio in my car... perhaps Sirrus (sp).. I don't know, is all I know what I heard was on at 11:15 am this morning... it was a good discussion imo and it was the NHL Radio Network.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
  #638
Needles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
2006: CBJ Derick Brassard, STL select ERIK JOHNSON 1st OVERALL (Ahead of Toews, Kessel, Staal, Backstrom, Grioux) and Patrik Berglund (25th)
IIRC, Eric Johnson was the consensus #1 pick back then. Just like Seth Jones this year.

Quote:
2007: CBJ select Jakub Voracek, STL select Lars Eller (13th) Ian Cole (18th) and David Perron (26th) (I sure hope Jarmo spends our 3 first rounders in 2013 a lot better)
To be fair, 2007 draft class was pretty damn weak. He got three solid NHL players from that first round so it wasn't that bad. But he also moved down from 9th to 13th pick and San Jose used that 9th to draft Logan Couture. So you can't make the right decision every time, obviously.

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:10 PM
  #639
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!
 
HoldFast13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus OH
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I have sat radio in my car... perhaps Sirrus (sp).. I don't know, is all I know what I heard was on at 11:15 am this morning... it was a good discussion imo and it was the NHL Radio Network.
Its pretty much been the topic of discussion all day. Ive heard at least 2 Jarmo interviews and already one JD interview. This was on Hockey Night In Canada w/ Gord Stellick.

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  #640
IHeartZherdev
Registered User
 
IHeartZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
XM NHL radio had a piece on JK and the move by JD around 11:15 today, it was all positive.... they said the passionate (I think that was the word) CBJ fans deserve a new course (or something like that).
We deserve to go north! He can't go south! BRICK BY BRICK

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  #641
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
Its pretty much been the topic of discussion all day. Ive heard at least 2 Jarmo interviews and already one JD interview. This was on Hockey Night In Canada w/ Gord Stellick.
Kay.... it was Jarmo....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
  #642
IHeartZherdev
Registered User
 
IHeartZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
IIRC, Eric Johnson was the consensus #1 pick back then. Just like Seth Jones this year.



To be fair, 2007 draft class was pretty damn weak. He got three solid NHL players from that first round so it wasn't that bad. But he also moved down from 9th to 13th pick and San Jose used that 9th to draft Logan Couture. So you can't make the right decision every time, obviously.
Right - I'm just saying. from 2002-2010, it's not like he built some championship caliber team and drafted a bunch of studs. Obviously, every team drafted better than the CBJ - but people are acting like him and JD were the architects of the Canucks, Sharks, Hawks, or Pens or something.

Guys like Oshie, Perron, Backes...they're solid but not exactly superstars. That core he drafted didn't do much under Andy Murray or Davis Payne, and then had one fantastic season under Ken Hitchcock. Which we all know is worth jack.

I'm more hopeful for the guys already in our system when it comes to the future, as opposed to ZOMG the guy who helped draft Roman Polak, TJ Oshie, and David Perron is running our draft board!

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
  #643
Dropkick Murphy
Registered User
 
Dropkick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the bubble
Country: Finland
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Contrary to (now) common believe, Jarmo Kekäläinen is not Jesus. He had by far biggest budget available in FEL, his first two years resulted very mediocre results. This year has been better but Jokerit still has vulnerable defense and choker in goal. Kekäläinen have had three years to fax the issues in D, but despite the biggest bag of money and best connections, no fix is done.

On the other hand, there are some solid scouting done for offense. It seems like he's a draft-GM, not a trader or FA-signer. Improvement to CBJ, but not getting them over average in NHL. He was number two in Finland after JYP's Jukka Holtari.

Dropkick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
  #644
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
Contrary to (now) common believe, Jarmo Kekäläinen is not Jesus. He had by far biggest budget available in FEL, his first two years resulted very mediocre results. This year has been better but Jokerit still has vulnerable defense and choker in goal. Kekäläinen have had three years to fax the issues in D, but despite the biggest bag of money and best connections, no fix is done.

On the other hand, there are some solid scouting done for offense. It seems like he's a draft-GM, not a trader or FA-signer. Improvement to CBJ, but not getting them over average in NHL. He was number two in Finland after JYP's Jukka Holtari.
To be fair, our blueline is in excellent shape right now, so so long as he takes care of the forward corps without disassembling said blueline, it's all good.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
  #645
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Right - I'm just saying. from 2002-2010, it's not like he built some championship caliber team and drafted a bunch of studs. Obviously, every team drafted better than the CBJ - but people are acting like him and JD were the architects of the Canucks, Sharks, Hawks, or Pens or something.

Guys like Oshie, Perron, Backes...they're solid but not exactly superstars. That core he drafted didn't do much under Andy Murray or Davis Payne, and then had one fantastic season under Ken Hitchcock. Which we all know is worth jack.

I'm more hopeful for the guys already in our system when it comes to the future, as opposed to ZOMG the guy who helped draft Roman Polak, TJ Oshie, and David Perron is running our draft board!
Clearly, he should draft a superstar every round to meet your expectations. He is well-known for drafting. You're trying to argue that fact with a SINGLE "questionable" (not even bad pick).

Pretty funny also, that CBJ would be lucky to have picked so well during those years. Oshie, Perron and Backes are solid top-6 players.

Also the weak draft pick you mentioned (E.Johnson, widely regarded as going 1st overall), was turned into two 1st round picks in a trade, and they're doing VERY well in the Blues. Shows, that his pick wasn't even bad in hindsight, even if he had nothing to do with the trade.

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  #646
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,120
vCash: 500
I long for the day we no longer have to hear about every so called mistake, blunder and whiff, and etc that Howson made. He's gone, it's over. The change began 4 months ago. I expect many more changes to take place as JD puts his people in place.

I am so ready to turn the page and quit hearing about Filatov, Carter, and everything else.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
  #647
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 708
vCash: 272
New House Band: Midnight Oil

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
  #648
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
Clearly, he should draft a superstar every round to meet your expectations.
We've had that accusation leveled at CBJ staff before. "Perspective" is in rare supply around here; even those who've got it in some areas frequently lack it in others.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:41 PM
  #649
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
The fact of the matter is there was a demonstration that demanded change in the CBJ front office. Whether as a result of, or simply that change was already underway, we now have that change and we should focus on that instead of who did what, when.

Whatever your opinion of it, we are where we are today as a fanbase with that as part of our history. If the 'protest' didn't initiate change in and of itself, it certainly illustrated that many passionate fans were on board with the idea of such upheaval.

Frankly, whether it had a real effect or not, I am proud that enough fellow fans cared to organize and attend such an event over just a few days of planning. I'd rather that a group of people do this then than later have another group have to organize a similar event to keep the CBJ in Columbus because of years and years of additional failures. If F.A.N.S. want to 'take credit', who cares, really? In the end, we all win here.

Let's get back to talking about the new guy.
[mod]

Personally, I'm glad to see a president of hockey operations who has his own vision for this franchise and is putting that into place. We are seeing early indications that JD is going to put his people in the positions to turn things around and that those people in turn are going to put their people in place right on down the line. That is how you fix a hockey organization. Not by hiring some consultant group. Put knowledgeable people in place and make them accountable. When you choose the wrong person, be accountable yourself. If that is how JD runs the show, I'm a happy camper. I don't care if he does it because I make a public proclamation or because that is the kind of guy he is. Truth be told, I'd rather it was the latter and not the former.

Happiness for sports fans is fleeting. Even a Cup win fades over time--take a look at some of the Ducks attendance stats over the last year. You have to enjoy moments like today when there is hope and promise while those moments last.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-13-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: noooooooooooooooooooopeeeeee
CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
  #650
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We've had that accusation leveled at CBJ staff before. "Perspective" is in rare supply around here; even those who've got it in some areas frequently lack it in others.
Actually I meant to say "every years' 1st", not every round, but I failed.

crowi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.