HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Fire Scott Howson, name Jarmo Kekalainen replacement

Old
02-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Stretch Factor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
After watching the last two games Jarmo must be asking himself, "Why did I agree to this?"
Or

"I can't do any worse than the last guy."

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe72 View Post
Thats pretty good.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You can't just have a team full of draft picks and prospects. You need older guys around them to help them develop.

If we move Umberger, Brassard, and Tyutin while throwing in young guys those young players will bust and we will be no better off.
You need the right veteran players. A bunch of guys who have settled into the status quo losing culture ain't it.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You can't just have a team full of draft picks and prospects. You need older guys around them to help them develop.

If we move Umberger, Brassard, and Tyutin while throwing in young guys those young players will bust and we will be no better off.
I agree in principle, but you forget that we now have JMFJ, Wiz, Dubi, and AA all of them multi-year NHL players from significantly better teams than ours has been. And that doesn't even count any veteran free agents we choose to bring in (i.e. prospal/Aucoin). I agree veteran leadership is important, but we can find better veterans for significantly cheaper (both cap and real world $) while at the same time adding assets to build with.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:53 PM
EDM

Umberger is no longer a veteran you want serving as an example for kids. Same goes, unfortunately, for Brass. And guys who play dumb like Dorsett are not exactly they type you want as role models either. Indeed, I think the signature of JD and JK is going to be what type of veterans they chose to retain to act as role models. Seems kind of obvious, based upon JD's own words, that AA and Dubie are two of those who would stay. JJ is probably a third. That is something I like. Another guy who plays with his engine at full speed all the time is DMac.

Last edited by EDM: 02-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.
EDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe72 View Post
Historically inaccurate though. Finns weren't vikings.....

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Accuracy and The Columbus Dispatch are far from mutually exclusive.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You need the right veteran players. A bunch of guys who have settled into the status quo losing culture ain't it.
First, they don't necessarily have to serve as examples. Simply as a shield to protect the young players from being forced to play too many minutes or go against another team's top defensive pairings. Use them as a buffer.

Second, they might be status quo right now, but that is an extremely fickle thing. It could change as early as tomorrow.

Third, the right move is to maintain as competitive a team as possible right now while accruing talent for the future. That's what always should happen with any competent GM. There should not be any dip in quality of the team while moving forward. Keep what we have and add. Use all 3 first round picks, sure, but I expect at least 2 of those picks to go back to Juniors next year. Make Jenner beat out our current guys for a spot. If he doesn't, start him in the AHL. Same with Johansen. I expect Murray will take over Aucoin's spot unless something goes terribly wrong at which case send him back to Juniors. If Mason doesn't work out, let him walk in the offseason and sign someone else.

Like I have been stressing all along, don't put the cart before the horse. Only move guys AFTER you have their replacement, not before!

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
True, but most people aren't familiar with the Winter War.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Cyclones Rock

I do get a good chuckle whenever I see Mason and Umberger and the words "trade" and "assets" lumped together.

These two are not assets. They are on the other side of the balance sheet. They are liabilities. No one will want them on the trade market. If this assumption is not correct, then it would be nice for someone present a specific team and why they would wish to acquire Mason or Umberger.

Fortunately, the Mason liability expires at season's end. Nothing needs to be done as his contract mercifully expires.

The Umberger situation is just one of those where the organization is going to have to bite a significant financial bullet by exercising a compliance buyout. Once that is done, there will be no residual effect from Howson's worst contract. Montreal did it with Gomez and New York with Wade Redden. Serious organizations don't go forward with hopeless causes who will prevent them from future success. The Blue Jackets are now a serious organization with JD and JK.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Heard this on the radio earlier, and realized that it describes you to a T.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
slightlystewpid420

I definitely see JD/JK making some pretty big changes

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Needles

Wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo goes after another 1st or 2nd at the deadline. He usually wants to be aggressive at the draft floor and move up. You need picks to do that.

And it's not like BJ's are making it to the playoffs.

Needles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:50 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Jarmo goes after another 1st or 2nd at the deadline. He usually wants to be aggressive at the draft floor and move up. You need picks to do that.

And it's not like BJ's are making it to the playoffs.
I'd give up Brassard and next year's first for another top 10 pick this year..

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
staaaaaahppp!

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I'd give up Brassard and next year's first for another top 10 pick this year..
I wouldn't.

It's depressing to think about, but I don't see 2013-14 going much better for the Jackets than they are right now. Even if Murray + Top Draft pick end up being total studs, I don't see it translating to wins right away.

02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I do get a good chuckle whenever I see Mason and Umberger and the words "trade" and "assets" lumped together.

These two are not assets. They are on the other side of the balance sheet. They are liabilities. No one will want them on the trade market. If this assumption is not correct, then it would be nice for someone present a specific team and why they would wish to acquire Mason or Umberger.

Fortunately, the Mason liability expires at season's end. Nothing needs to be done as his contract mercifully expires.

The Umberger situation is just one of those where the organization is going to have to bite a significant financial bullet by exercising a compliance buyout. Once that is done, there will be no residual effect from Howson's worst contract. Montreal did it with Gomez and New York with Wade Redden. Serious organizations don't go forward with hopeless causes who will prevent them from future success. The Blue Jackets are now a serious organization with JD and JK.
I'm sure if JD went to ownership tell them it needs to be done they they will give it the green light. But I wonder if they're getting annoyed with all these signings/hirings and then soon after, they're getting bought out/fired. Who was fired and still received their money? Maclean,Howson,Hitchcock,Arniel,Assistant coaches, scouts, etc(Was guys like King and Gallant fired as well?). Who's been bought out?Was Hainsey bought out(I don't think I was a fan or a big fan of the team when he was around), Commodore, etc. I wonder how much money was spent on those guys after they were no longer part of the team.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
I'm sure if JD went to ownership tell them it needs to be done they they will give it the green light. But I wonder if they're getting annoyed with all these signings/hirings and then soon after, they're getting bought out/fired. Who was fired and still received their money? Maclean,Howson,Hitchcock,Arniel,Assistant coaches, scouts, etc(Was guys like King and Gallant fired as well?). Who's been bought out?Was Hainsey bought out(I don't think I was a fan or a big fan of the team when he was around), Commodore, etc. I wonder how much money was spent on those guys after they were no longer part of the team.
I'm sure I'll be corrected, but here's how I remember the buyouts being.

Commodore - yes
Westcott - yes
Hainsey - no, his contract expired and he became a UFA
Hitchcock - yes, although that was for a year plus a few months

Scouts are almost always on one-year deals that expire June 30 anyway, so giving a couple of extra days wouldn't mean anything.

And I'm pretty sure all of the old front office and coaches (King, MacLean, Gallant) were evergreen contracts, so the extent of being paid for nothing would have only gone through June 30 of that year.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I wouldn't.

It's depressing to think about, but I don't see 2013-14 going much better for the Jackets than they are right now. Even if Murray + Top Draft pick end up being total studs, I don't see it translating to wins right away.
Sadly, you are correct. What needs to happen is that we get a good goaltender in here, then we may be respectable. Not playoff worthy, mind you, but perhaps to keep us in games so that we can steal a few. right now, we can't steal anything

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be corrected, but here's how I remember the buyouts being.

Commodore - yes
Westcott - yes
Hainsey - no, his contract expired and he became a UFA
Hitchcock - yes, although that was for a year plus a few months

Scouts are almost always on one-year deals that expire June 30 anyway, so giving a couple of extra days wouldn't mean anything.

And I'm pretty sure all of the old front office and coaches (King, MacLean, Gallant) were evergreen contracts, so the extent of being paid for nothing would have only gone through June 30 of that year.
Close, but not quite. If recall Doug's evergreen clause correctly, they had to tell him by a certain date that they were not renewing him or it added a year to the end of the deal such that when they notified him, he basically would always get paid for an additional year--unless they did the really awkward thing of telling him at the end of a season that they were terminating the evergreen leaving him just with that year left. Believe Howson's was the same. So, they'll pay him through the end of next year no matter what (which is why JD mentioned the discussion about home being an advisor, just as Hitch was an advisor after he was fired).

Of course, I haven't seen the clause and I'm relying on non-lawyer journalists to have reported it correctly, which is always dangerous.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Dednimnepo
Winning is the Fun

Quote:
True, but most people aren't familiar with the Winter War.
He should be wielding a puukko.

Dednimnepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
mirasane

Another new Finn cheering for CBJ checking in! Congrats for getting Jarmo. In few years you will start to see great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Sadly, you are correct. What needs to happen is that we get a good goaltender in here, then we may be respectable. Not playoff worthy, mind you, but perhaps to keep us in games so that we can steal a few. right now, we can't steal anything
Mike Smith will be an UFA next summer and he is only 30. He might be a great option if just Jarmo could convince him to sign.

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:54 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirasane View Post
Another new Finn cheering for CBJ checking in! Congrats for getting Jarmo. In few years you will start to see great results.

Mike Smith will be an UFA next summer and he is only 30. He might be a great option if just Jarmo could convince him to sign.
Last years Mike Smith for sure- this year's meh. Hell he gave up 3 to the Jackets

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Last years Mike Smith for sure- this year's meh. Hell he gave up 3 to the Jackets
Maybe it's because he doesn't have Adrian Aucoin patrolling in front of his crease this year?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:02 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Accuracy and The Columbus Dispatch are far from mutually exclusive.
Ummm...are you sure this is what you meant?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Byrral

Lots of good posts in this thread. I posted in one of the trades threads on the mains ( I know) and I would agree with the Capn that the main trade pieces look to be Umberger and Tyutin and to a lesser extend Wiz for their contracts and Brassard and Mason. Brassard may have some value, Tyutin as well, but the other two aren't going to get much but off the books. That would be good for the rebuild. Understand why others like Crede who are tired of the losing. But this could take a couple years unfortunately.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote