HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jackets fire Scott Howson, hire Jarmo Kekäläinen

Old
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
As a CBJ fan I'm obviously excited.

But I'm also hesitant to see how JK's experience as a scout and GM in the FEL (as well as assistant GM in the NHL) will translate into being the head GM. He has a lot of young talent and picks to work with and ownership has an open wallet for a winner, so hopefully he succeeds. We've had some new "conquer the world" types such as Arniel before but maybe Jarmo will be different (competent?).

If he's successful in turning the Jackets into a good team he will undoubtedly be a hall of fame GM. He'd be the first European GM of an NHL team as well as being successful in Ottawa and St. Louis while being seminal in the growth of Columbus hockey and as an NHL market.

If he's unsuccessful... we're in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Jarmo knows hockey, and he will identify the correct personnel to develop the players. Columbus fans and players/prospects should be thrilled.
He certainly does not look like the type of guy you'd want to disappoint. Looks like he has "connections" if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Crede777: 02-13-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:22 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Congrats to the Jackets, and also to Finland for being the first European country to produce an NHL GM.
Suck it Sweden!

Seriously speaking; It is remarkable achievement for Keklu and for Finland. It gives Finnish hockey access to cabinets that were not available before.

We've had some guys in big IIHF roles but those are nothing like NHL GM spot which is almost impossible for European to get into. Thank you Keklu for making the impossible.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
i will be on the fence on this one
interesting move to say the least

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
We've had some guys in big IIHF roles but those are nothing like NHL GM spot which is almost impossible for European to get into. Thank you Keklu for making the impossible.
I think it would look cool if someone could photoshop the Ohio flag in the CBJ logo to Finland's flag.

Although they made it clear he wouldn't be looking at "the front page of the passport" when considering draft picks. JK's stock of notable players (Spezza, Emery, Backes, Oshie, Steen, and Pietrangelo among others) are mainly North American which means he can identify talent both here and in Europe.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
DuklaNation

Right move to fire Howson, this draft is absolutely critical for the future with 3 1st round picks.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
PJ A Oates

I don't get why people are so hard on Howson. Sure, he didn't manage Nash deal greatly but he did get a good return for him when it was stated that Nash wanted to leave Jackets.

He put together some good teams, but many times the players underachieved (like Nash (not all the time though), Mason, James W) or got the injury bug (Huselius).
So I don't think it's all on Howson.

But with that said, I'm thrilled that Jarmo got hired. I hope he and CJB does well (I like the under dogs).

PJ A Oates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Unbelievable that Howson managed to last 6 years. Is JK generally considered to be the architect of all the great drafts St. Louis has had?

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ A Oates View Post
I don't get why people are so hard on Howson. Sure, he didn't manage Nash deal greatly but he did get a good return for him when it was stated that Nash wanted to leave Jackets.

He put together some good teams, but many times the players underachieved (like Nash (not all the time though), Mason, James W) or got the injury bug (Huselius).
So I don't think it's all on Howson.

But with that said, I'm thrilled that Jarmo got hired. I hope he and CJB does well (I like the under dogs).
Everything in life is results oriented. Howson didn't get results, it doesn't matter how hard he tried. If his teams were underachieving, he should've fired/hired the right coaches and/or traded for the right players. The buck stops with him. Well in this case it's really ownership for taking so long to fire him.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
PuckNerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think it would look cool if someone could photoshop the Ohio flag in the CBJ logo to Finland's flag.

Although they made it clear he wouldn't be looking at "the front page of the passport" when considering draft picks. JK's stock of notable players (Spezza, Emery, Backes, Oshie, Steen, and Pietrangelo among others) are mainly North American which means he can identify talent both here and in Europe.
Handyy already has for his avatar. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/im...ine=1290215119

PuckNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNerd View Post
Beat me to it.

02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
PuckNerd

Quote:
He certainly does not look like the type of guy you'd want to disappoint. Looks like he has "connections" if you know what I mean.

Our new GM is Agent 47 :X

PuckNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Asheru

Absolute perfect hire for the Blue Jackets; well done, Davidson. He's going to get some terrific players with multiple first round picks.

Great to see things looking up for Columbus, their fanbase deserves it.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
ricky0034

Jarmo?

jesus Columbus actually did something right for once

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Beat me to it.

Pssht and people think we have a boring logo... I think the blue, silver, and white is hot (don't tell Leafs fans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Everything in life is results oriented. Howson didn't get results, it doesn't matter how hard he tried. If his teams were underachieving, he should've fired/hired the right coaches and/or traded for the right players. The buck stops with him. Well in this case it's really ownership for taking so long to fire him.
I've said it before but I'll say it again.

Howson was an average GM with terrible luck which subsequently resulted in poor results. You can be a great GM with bad luck or an average GM with great luck. You can't be average and unlucky. He is good at getting the prices he wants, waiver wire pick ups, and negotiating with the league ownership. He was bad at identifying talented personnel and assessing player value (i.e. his scouts, development coaches, Arniel, paying a great amount for Brassard and Mason, thinking guys are worth way more or way less than they actually are).

Filatov, for instance, was an average pick with bad luck. Most assumed he would go there or higher. Many touted him as being top tier in terms of talent. But it was intangibles and perhaps development that sunk him in Columbus. It seemed like the obviously right pick at the time. A bad GM thinks he's smarter than everyone else and goes off the board to draft a dud. An average GM does the status quo. A good GM writes the book on how to draft. Howson was status quo and the "obvious guys" at the time failed to deliver.

Columbus needs more than a simply average GM in order to succeed.

Last edited by Crede777: 02-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Talk about an upgrade. Nice move by Columbus.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbladeknife View Post
He's usually regarded as the most knowledgeable and influential hockey person in Finland.
Behind Sihvonen ofc .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:

Man, I never realized how much he looks like James Tolkan -- better known as Principal Strickland from "Back to the Future," and Stinger from "Top Gun"

Last edited by RedMenace: 02-13-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Ugh, sorry for the original picture...
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:15 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
So I guess that cements Barkov to the Blue Jackets.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditating Guru View Post
Man, I never realized how much he looks like James Tolkan -- better known as Principal Strickland from "Back to the Future," and Stinger from "Top Gun"

Holy S***! hahah

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Robert Theodorson

Great news for the fans!

Good luck to you in the draft and in the next couple of years.

Nobody has been tormented by incompetency at the head office quite like the Jackets (maybe the Isles) we are routing for you.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:48 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Unbelievable that Howson managed to last 6 years. Is JK generally considered to be the architect of all the great drafts St. Louis has had?
I think he was pretty much the main guy doing the drafting. So most of the credit in St.Louis goes to him.

Very excited to see how he does in GM's spot. Kekalainen has proved to be an excellent judge of talent. Now lets see him taking it to the next level.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Nothing but respect for Jarmo, who was so critical in reversing Blues fortunes. Definitely happy for him and for CBJ fans, but like other Central Division fans have said, it's going to start hurting in a few years when these guys rebuild that franchise.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Useful reference for folks who are still convinced that the guy was incapable of tying his shoes:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2013/2/...wson-did-right
He had a record of 177 190 59. Pretty brutal.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditating Guru View Post
"You're a slacker, Umberger!"

Matt Foley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
Jarmo?

jesus Columbus actually did something right for once
Who is this Jesus Columbus? Isn't he a prospect in the Cubs organization?