HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Washington Post to add paywall for frequent readers

Old
03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Washington Post to add paywall for frequent readers

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/18/the...quent-readers/

Starting in the fall, the paper will charge for those who read more than 20 articles/month.

(Trying to find a way to to stop the financial bleeding of the newspaper)

Edit: Hitting the Caps' fans pocket books to keep them informed. (And all the hockey news folks that are required to read those articles)

Last edited by LadyStanley: 03-18-2013 at 10:45 PM.
LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
And now it begins.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/18/the...quent-readers/

Starting in the fall, the paper will charge for those who read more than 20 articles/month.

(Trying to find a way to to stop the financial bleeding of the newspaper)

Edit: Hitting the Caps' fans pocket books to keep them informed. (And all the hockey news folks that are required to read those articles)
Many papers have done that but there are many ways around it. Use other browsers and use mobile and different browsers there. I have had to do that for the LA Times for awhile now. I'm not sure what the limit is there but I know it is higher than 20.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Pilky01

The Globe and Mail went paywall a few months ago. I am very curious to hear how it is going. I know I just stopped going to the site, and I can't be the only one. There is plenty of news for free.

G&Ms limit is ten articles a month.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Finnish your Czech
I miss Frank Corrado

vCash: 50
There are very easy ways to get around that. I don't really think pay walls are a very good idea.

Not like I have any better idea for increasing revenues for newspaper companies though.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
danishh

canwest hasnt done it to their papers yet (they serve most NHL markets), but i couldnt help thinking when they created senatorsextra.com it was a way to bypass the eventuality of paywalls for their sens coverage. Senatorsextra is basically a blog consisting of all newspaper articles written on the sens and additional coverage by both ottawa citizen sens writers and other sens bloggers.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The LA Times does this. I usually end up clearing cookies or just bypass reading their articles altogether.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:03 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Nice edit to create a rather tenuous link to the business of hockey

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
gstommylee

Seattle times is going this but its free for those that subscribe to the paper. Should be launching pretty soon they said march of this year.

gstommylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:12 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Newspapers starting to charge to access for online access is merely just the sign for me to start reading other newspapers online instead.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Crease

The Dolans bought Newsday, spent $4 Million redesigning the website, and put it behind a paywall. Three months later, they had 35 subscribers.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:38 AM
saskganesh

If you surf anonymously, you get past paywalls.

I think journalists should be paid, but the past business model (free content!) and the current one (paywalls!) is not working well for them.

Of course, in the golden days of print, the lion's share of revenues came from ads. Craigslist, kiiji, other free classified sites, have killed a lot of that market for the dailies.

So while the Post is an important paper, I don't think this has anything to do with hockey.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

The Sun has been doing this for a while - 20 articles per month.

Once I hit my limit, I send them a tweet saying 'See you next month!'

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
RedWinger10

To be fair, Newspapers are dying in this country and around the world because people can go online and and get the news info for free. It's kind of like what happened to the music industry with the advent of online music downloads. The difference is you cannot go after people in a legal sense for getting free news. I foresee in the future, most news outlets will quit making newspapers and putting their news info on subscription apps or online for free and selling add space.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
To be fair, Newspapers are dying in this country and around the world because people can go online and and get the news info for free. It's kind of like what happened to the music industry with the advent of online music downloads. The difference is you cannot go after people in a legal sense for getting free news. I foresee in the future, most news outlets will quit making newspapers and putting their news info on subscription apps or online for free and selling add space.
What a bad example. The music industry has made more money since this has happened. It's all about legacy business not wanting to adapt to run in the new tech age. And even with the increase there are still execs that will go against artists that want to do things for free for their fans.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Tinalera

Seem to recall a while back there was a thread on these boards dealing with the death of print/change to online stuff.

We're a culture that's used to getting things for free now on the internet, I don't know if paywalls will solve the problems. As long as sites keeping posting "free" news, it won't go very far. I would have thought that advertising by now would have worked something out with websites for the news.

As far as the caps are concerned, wonder how it will affect the coverage of the team. With all the news outlets out there, Caps fans will still get their news one way or another.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Seem to recall a while back there was a thread on these boards dealing with the death of print/change to online stuff.
Effect on print media/covering hockey in slow economy

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
What a bad example. The music industry has made more money since this has happened. It's all about legacy business not wanting to adapt to run in the new tech age. And even with the increase there are still execs that will go against artists that want to do things for free for their fans.
MOD When online music shareware and things like Napster came about it was CATASTROPHIC to the music industry and record sales. Both the film and music industry list their biggest enemy even to this day is online piracy. In the last few years they have filed lawsuits and taken legal action against some of these sites to try to stop it or slow it down. Remember a little thing called limewire? Shut down. Napster...now a paid service. Sure services like iTunes have been great for the music industry but it is a paid service and not what is hurting the industry and alone cannot offset the $ lost by pirating shareware.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-20-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: ...
RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
When online music shareware and things like Napster came about it was CATASTROPHIC to the music industry and record sales. Both the film and music industry list their biggest enemy even to this day is online piracy. In the last few years they have filed lawsuits and taken legal action against some of these sites to try to stop it or slow it down. Remember a little thing called limewire? Shut down. Napster...now a paid service. Sure services like iTunes have been great for the music industry but it is a paid service and not what is hurting the industry and alone cannot offset the $ lost by pirating shareware.
Yes they claim how much piracy has hurt them while their bottom line continues to grow at record amounts. Not saying that it is not real and doesn't cost some money. But it is not a hurtful to them as they would like us to think it is. And if they offered a way to get the items at a reasonable price legally they would make even more money.
I can't remember what artist it was that wanted to give fans a free song via their facebook page and the record label pulled it saying it would hurt sales.
It is that these legacy media businesses don't want to fully join the digital age. That includes TV, movies, newspapers, and music still to some degree just to name a few. Yes you can get cheap songs on places like iTunes but have you tried finding a lossless recording of most artists that don't cost more in many cases than buying a CD.