HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The first overall pick

Old
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Ottawa has 7 points on us and they are tied going to the third.
They will suck but if Sacco gives his best we should be able to outtank them.

Just look at our defense. It is really hilarious. At this point I would let Lando and EJ sit out the season and make sure that they recover.

If Duchene is the slightest bit banged up, just sit him for a few games. What is the point of winning or even playing our best guys right now? They are dropping like flies and the games are not watchable anyways....

Not winnin for MacKinnon,
Even more broken Bones for Jones,
Ruin for Drouin. Hmm how do you pronounce Drouin?

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Ottawa has 7 points on us and they are tied going to the third.
They will suck but if Sacco gives his best we should be able to outtank them.

Just look at our defense. It is really hilarious. At this point I would let Lando and EJ sit out the season and make sure that they recover.

If Duchene is the slightest bit banged up, just sit him for a few games. What is the point of winning or even playing our best guys right now? They are dropping like flies and the games are not watchable anyways....

Not winnin for MacKinnon,
Even more broken Bones for Jones,
Ruin for Drouin. Hmm how do you pronounce Drouin?
I dunno though, without Karlsson Ottawas Defense might be worse.

I mean who do they have Gonchar, Methot, Phillips, Lundin, Wiercioch, and Benoit.

That's probably a little better then ours, but not a whole lot.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
They should consider adding a best tank by a GM to the nhl awards. We'd finally build some consistency at something.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
They should consider adding a best tank by a GM to the nhl awards. We'd finally build some consistency at something.
You mean The Tambellini Trophy?

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
How so? Our consistency at tanking is terrible.

There is NOTHING we are good at.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Am I the only one scared of Seth Jones because his dad couldn't lay off the McDonalds? Hopefully Popeye married a trophy wife and brought some healthy genes to the pool.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:51 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
You mean The Tambellini Trophy?

Thanks for the good laugh

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 50
Methot is actually pretty good.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Am I the only one scared of Seth Jones because his dad couldn't lay off the McDonalds? Hopefully Popeye married a trophy wife and brought some healthy genes to the pool.
I don't know anything about his dad, but from all accounts he's a dedicated fitness freak, and works as hard as anyone to get himself in shape. That's why he's so physically mature or his age. He's talked about how he understands the importance of this at a young age in interviews. If he can have that kind of dedication at 17, I'd say it's a safe bet he'll have it as a pro.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't know anything about his dad, but from all accounts he's a dedicated fitness freak, and works as hard as anyone to get himself in shape. That's why he's so physically mature or his age. He's talked about how he understands the importance of this at a young age in interviews. If he can have that kind of dedication at 17, I'd say it's a safe bet he'll have it as a pro.
His dad was overweight for a lot of his basketball career. Popeye actually played for the Nuggets for a bit. He was a good college player but fell in the draft because of his weight. I just hope Seth doesn't have the same problems in his career. I honestly haven't seen him play though, so no idea. I just know it was a struggle for Popeye.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
PAZ

Quote:
His dad was overweight for a lot of his basketball career. Popeye actually played for the Nuggets for a bit. He was a good college player but fell in the draft because of his weight. I just hope Seth doesn't have the same problems in his career. I honestly haven't seen him play though, so no idea. I just know it was a struggle for Popeye.

From what he said in the interview, he seems very driven. A lot of players his age just try to be modest, say as little as possible, etc. Jones straight up said what his goals were heading in the camp. It's only one interview, but it speaks volumes imo.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Well I knew that much about his dad, and the Sakic connection. From everything I've seen though, he's maybe the last kid in the draft I'd have concerns about from a fitness and dedication standpoint. Seems very driven, and knows how important off ice work is to being a professional. Maybe he took a good lesson from his dad's faults? Wouldn't be the first.

After all, his dad wanted him to play basketball or baseball, and he wanted nothing to do with it. Doesn't sound like he takes after, or wants to be too much like his pops.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Well I knew that much about his dad, and the Sakic connection. From everything I've seen though, he's maybe the last kid in the draft I'd have concerns about from a fitness and dedication standpoint. Seems very driven, and knows how important off ice work is to being a professional. Maybe he took a good lesson from his dad's faults? Wouldn't be the first.

After all, his dad wanted him to play basketball or baseball, and he wanted nothing to do with it. Doesn't sound like he takes after, or wants to be too much like his pops.

Definitely not debating the kid's work ethic...I couldn't debate it because I honestly don't know Seth Jones at all - only what I've read in this thread, and he sounds solid fitness wise. All I'm saying is that I hope it doesn't become a genetic issue - i.e, some weight issue that is out of his control. I just think from a genetic standpoint he may possibly be susceptible to excessive weight gain in his career. Maybe it won't be an issue or maybe it will. His father battled with it his entire career - I'm sure Popeye didn't choose being fat over being paid millions in the NBA. It just gives me a little bit of reservation about drafting the kid.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
More of him to love I say.

With his unique Avs connection as a kid, it just seems right that he ends up here.

Of course, we'll have to assume we get the 1st overall, or 2nd overall and #1 takes MacK

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
AvsWraith

Maybe wait to trade O'Reilly at the draft, making a package for the #2/#3 pick, grabbing Jones and MacKinnon/Drouin, assuming the tank happens.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Definitely not debating the kid's work ethic...I couldn't debate it because I honestly don't know Seth Jones at all - only what I've read in this thread, and he sounds solid fitness wise. All I'm saying is that I hope it doesn't become a genetic issue - i.e, some weight issue that is out of his control. I just think from a genetic standpoint he may possibly be susceptible to excessive weight gain in his career. Maybe it won't be an issue or maybe it will. His father battled with it his entire career - I'm sure Popeye didn't choose being fat over being paid millions in the NBA. It just gives me a little bit of reservation about drafting the kid.
Does that happen? Did that really happen with his dad, or did he just get lazy? I'm asking because I don't know much about him.

How can you be a dedicated professional athlete and then just get fat? Unless he had some kind of thyroid problem, or he got pregnant.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
So what you are saying is that we can have Big Buff version 2.0

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote