HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with putting Yak in the PB for a game or two if need be. He's a young enthusiastic guy who has much to learn. His draft status shouldn't be a determining factor as to whether he sits a bit or not. It can work wonders for some players to give a better perspective of what's happening on the ice and give them even more inspiration. If it happened, I see him as the type of guy to use it properly.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Nothing wrong with putting Yak in the PB for a game or two if need be. He's a young enthusiastic guy who has much to learn. His draft status shouldn't be a determining factor as to whether he sits a bit or not. It can work wonders for some players to give a better perspective of what's happening on the ice and give them even more inspiration. If it happened, I see him as the type of guy to use it properly.
I agree..He may just need a little time to look at the game from a different perspective..I'm sure he'll be fine but no harm giving him a game or two to analize his play so far.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
yes...his giveaway.
you know the one that lead directly to the 3rd goal.

*double face palm*

I know when you love a prospect soooo much, they can do no wrong in your eyes, but come on.
nobody is dumping on the kid, just pointing out certain things...its not an attack on him.

and just to add...Stamkos was benched a few times in his rookie year,as well as seated in the pressbox so was Eberle, and Hall..its no slight on the player.
A neutral zone turnover that turns into a 3 on 3 doesn't cause a goal. It causes a possession. He tried to chip the puck to a wide open Gagner and Benn made a good play on it. It happens.

The play that prevented that possession from resulting in a good scoring chance was Yakuopov's. The play that created a prime scoring chance that caused the goal was when 25 year old Jeff Petry couldn't win a foot race against 41 year old Jaromir Jagr.

Yakupov is far from perfect but pointing towards last night's game as a reason for benching him is tremendously ignorant.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
A neutral zone turnover that turns into a 3 on 3 doesn't cause a goal. It causes a possession. He tried to chip the puck to a wide open Gagner and Benn made a good play on it. It happens.

The play that prevented that possession from resulting in a good scoring chance was Yakuopov's. The play that created a prime scoring chance that caused the goal was when 25 year old Jeff Petry couldn't win a foot race against 41 year old Jaromir Jagr.

Yakupov is far from perfect but pointing towards last night's game as a reason for benching him is tremendously ignorant.
he didn't chip nothing, and Benn didn't make a "good play " on it...it was a poor and weak attempt of a pass, that my 4-1/2 year old daughter could have broken up with her limited skating ability...don't sugar coat a bad play.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
he didn't chip nothing, and Benn didn't make a "good play " on it...it was a poor and weak attempt of a pass, that my 4-1/2 year old daughter could have broken up with her limited skating ability...don't sugar coat a bad play.
If your six year old daughter can skate fast enough to get between a full stride Nail Yakupov and his passing lane to Gagner, she's got a future in this game.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If your six year old daughter can skate fast enough to get between a full stride Nail Yakupov and his passing lane to Gagner, she's got a future in this game.
i'll let her know she has fan

look, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I saw Yak playing a different game than you last night and we obviosly didn't see him in the same light. so lets agree to disagree..
Cheers

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Matt19Oilers

The only reason I was able to convince myself to be ok with last night's result is that we really didn't deserve the win in Columbus, so last night's game sort of "balanced" things out.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
The only reason I was able to convince myself to be ok with last night's result is that we really didn't deserve the win in Columbus, so last night's game sort of "balanced" things out.
The problem with this kind of thinking is that it probably means the Stars are going to get lit up in Calgary tonight...

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:56 PM
randylahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
You mentioned Phoenix and Nashville yet you never mentioned coaching or goaltending, which are much larger strengths than the defense....
Maloney has flat out said that goalies look good in their system, hence not resigning Bryzgalov. Smith was a very mediocre goalie until Phoenix and quite frankly still is.

randylahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylahey View Post
Maloney has flat out said that goalies look good in their system, hence not resigning Bryzgalov. Smith was a very mediocre goalie until Phoenix and quite frankly still is.
I'll give you that. I've always thought that Smith was horribly overrated.

But Pekka Rinne is still one of the best goalies in the league.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Take out Justin Schultz and we'd have 0 goals from our defense.

Yikes.
In all fairness who exactly should we expect to score from our d?

The vet who is crippled up

Guy with 9 career goals

Guy with 3 career goals

Guy with 26 career goals, but wait that's in close to 800 games.

The guy with 5 career goals

Finally the guy with 3 career goals.

Damn you dnicks I didn't think we were that bad off.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
dnicks17

Pshh. Ladi was sniping genos left and right last season.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
When Ladi is your leading D goal scorer, you know you're in trouble.

The fact that the Oilers had a top 5 PP last year without a serviceable PP d-man is mind boggling.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
When Ladi is your leading D goal scorer, you know you're in trouble.

The fact that the Oilers had a top 5 PP last year without a serviceable PP d-man is mind boggling.
When given the space our kids have elite skills. Now if they could only figure out how to put those talents to use with less space, we'd have ourselves a contender.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:18 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Even at his career best scoring pace Ladi would have one goal. Well .83333 of a goal.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
When given the space our kids have elite skills. Now if they could only figure out how to put those talents to use with less space, we'd have ourselves a contender.
Right now teams have our PP figured out. If we get a big shot at the point the other teams PK can't just focus on keeping pucks out of the slot.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Crobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Right now teams have our PP figured out. If we get a big shot at the point the other teams PK can't just focus on keeping pucks out of the slot.
Whitney for Souray

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:19 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
so was Yzerman playin on one leg u didnt see him dogging it
Yet Datsyuk was better than Yzerman throughout that series...you didn't see the Oilers throwing out Horcoff against Yzerman. Yzerman was on the "soft" matchup for the Oilers. Our 3rd best "shutdown' line (Stoll's) was up against him all series long - and he lost that matchup badly.

Datsyuk's line actually kept Hemsky-Horcoff-Smyth at bay and even out-produced them in that series.

Cue typical Canadian retaliatory comment at their hero (Yzerman/Sakic) receiving any criticism.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It'd be smarter to play him with Nugent Hopkins. Our offense is not good enough to be sitting the leading goal scorer. He's a kid, he's not going to see getting moved to the press box as anything other than "I'm doing something wrong, they don't like me" no matter how it's spun.

Eberle RNH Yakupov
Hall Gagner Hemsky
MPS Belanger Harti
Smyth VV Eager

Lets try it for a game or two, can't be any worse. Getting to play with Yakupov might give Eberle + RNH a different look too and shake them out of their own funks.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It'd be smarter to play him with Nugent Hopkins. Our offense is not good enough to be sitting the leading goal scorer. He's a kid, he's not going to see getting moved to the press box as anything other than "I'm doing something wrong, they don't like me" no matter how it's spun.

Eberle RNH Yakupov
Hall Gagner Hemsky
MPS Belanger Harti
Smyth VV Eager

Lets try it for a game or two, can't be any worse. Getting to play with Yakupov might give Eberle + RNH a different look too and shake them out of their own funks.
We already tried Yak with Eberle and Hopkins against Columbus.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We already tried Yak with Eberle and Hopkins against Columbus.
Keep trying it then.

Not sure if that game was a great barometer for anything though because the whole team looked dog tired from playing a back to back.

I'd like to see what they can do fresh with two days of practice together.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Keep trying it then.

Not sure if that game was a great barometer for anything though because the whole team looked dog tired from playing a back to back.

I'd like to see what they can do fresh with two days of practice together.
Hopkins seems to be struggling, as is Eberle. There may be time for that later on down the road. Right now I think its best to leave things as they were last game.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hopkins seems to be struggling, as is Eberle. There may be time for that later on down the road. Right now I think its best to leave things as they were last game.
This is what really sucks about Hemsky, he's such an odd player offensively that he can't be relied on to help a rookie like Yakupov out.

It's frustrating that we're handcuffed with little to no options.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
This is what really sucks about Hemsky, he's such an odd player offensively that he can't be relied on to help a rookie like Yakupov out.

It's frustrating that we're handcuffed with little to no options.
No, it's because we keep trying RW's at LW with him - it's like our GM's don't have a brain.

Erik Cole is a RW. Nail Yakupov is a RW. Why do we keep slotting RW's at LW to play with Hemsky? Blows my mind.
Those guys both look so lost playing on the left side, and 10x more dangerous streaking down the RW.

Hemsky isn't a C - he relies on the right side to make his plays, and needs guys playing in their familiar positions to score off the rush (which is usually how he produces, more-so than after establishing zone-time and cycling).

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 02-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:49 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Calgary up 4-1 on Dallas after 1st period. Flames' offense explodes before ours, and looks like they'll be at 0.500 after tonight.

Wish we could get a team on the second half of a back to back sometimes.

And on we go to 12/13th place by Saturday.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote