HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lehtonen for Vezina

Old
02-13-2013, 06:46 AM
SNES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
Put Karlsson in Dallas and Lehtonen will win every category
But but Karlsson doesn't play defense amiright??

SNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:30 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Anderson is my choice for the Vezina right now, and he should get consideration for the Hart.

He's been everything for Ottawa, he cool calm and collected doesn't need to make miraculous save, he's always at the right place.

The Sens right now have the lowest GAA at 1.69, that's all Anderson, the only thing he does is stop pucks.
Bingo. He's just reading the game so well right now. It's like he knows what the shooters are going to do even before they do. Perfect example from last night's game: someone (Vanek, maybe?) is behind Ottawa's net with the puck. Feed came out to Hodgson in the slot, and he shoots with no hesitation whatsoever. Anderson was right there, square to the shot, and Hodgson had nowhere to go with it. With how fast that play happened, most goalies in the league, I think, would be relying on athleticism to get across the net, but Anderson knew where the puck was going the whole time.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Droc
Classless

what the hell guys? I just spent 5min making this image and someone else already has.
lol

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:47 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
interesting note: the two best goalies statistically (GAA,SV%) this year trained together in florida under francois allaire during the lockout.
The miracle maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
Ignorant comment. Lehtonen has been staying healthy ever since he got to Dallas.
I thought he had small injury last year? And at least one small at WCs if that counts.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Lehtonen is one of the league's best kept secrets for the past few years playing in Dallas. It's amazing how underrated he still is despite people finally starting to point to him as being a top 10 goalie.

I've been a fan of his and Quick's for awhile now, Lehtonen deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Quick, Lundqvist and Rinne (even when Quick isn't struggling). So yes, if he keeps his play up I'd consider him as a Vezina finalist.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:59 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

It's amazing how the Sens fans took over this thread. Is the Anderson thread on the same board not enough tire pumping for you guys? The OP obviously was just to praise Kari, not realistically debate his merits vs the other season leaders 13 games into a season. Chillax.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:01 AM
SNES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
It's amazing how the Sens fans took over this thread. Is the Anderson thread on the same board not enough tire pumping for you guys? The OP obviously was just to praise Kari, not realistically debate his merits vs the other season leaders 13 games into a season. Chillax.
Lol praise Kari? Looks more like the OP is already handing out the Vezina, which is the debate we are participating in.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 AM
MessierII

Absolutely ridiculous game last night.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNES View Post
Lol praise Kari? Looks more like the OP is already handing out the Vezina, which is the debate we are participating in.
Read his post. It doesn't mention the Vezina or playing better than XXX once. Nor did the rest of this thread even mention the Vezina until ******** Sens fans read the title and not the posts in the thread.

Anderson's playing great. He'd win the Vezina if it was held today. You win. Now let's talk about Kari, who people really don't appreciate because not many people watch Stars games night in and night out to see how often he stands on his head for this team.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Pierre Gotye

Good for Lehtonen, he's finally shed his "Let-em-in" status he had in Atl.

But...Victor Fasth, anyone? He's been damned good.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Im going with Craig Anderson, as of right now.

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Yes, it is simply fact that ottawa's defense, comprised of a norris winner who "cant play defense", two second pairing dmen, one third pairing dman, and three AHLers is much better than what Dallas offers lehtonen.

andersson leads lehtonen in sv% by a significant margin at this point of the season, and suggesting that either goalie's save chances are better or worse than the other's is simply uneducated.
No. It isn't. Not watching either team play consistently and then forming an opinion with that is uneducated.

If you saw the stars defense play, or even looked at the names on the team and actually came away with the opinion that the senators have a worse defense you need to seriously reevaluate the situation. Furthermore, to be self deprecating in an attempt to prove your point is also uneducated, misleading, and makes your argument weaker.

The stars also play in the tougher west and a harder division. Simply watch them both play and you will CLEARLY see which team offers more support to their goalie.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
masterandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
No. It isn't. Not watching either team play consistently and then forming an opinion with that is uneducated.

If you saw the stars defense play, or even looked at the names on the team and actually came away with the opinion that the senators have a worse defense you need to seriously reevaluate the situation. Furthermore, to be self deprecating in an attempt to prove your point is also uneducated, misleading, and makes your argument weaker.

The stars also play in the tougher west and a harder division. Simply watch them both play and you will CLEARLY see which team offers more support to their goalie.
Easy to laugh at the NorthEast Division because of recent years..but both divisions are equally as tough this year.

No one said Ottawa's defense is worse than Dallas...it's definitely not MUCH better.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Mizral

I used to rag on this guy all the time but I have to admit he's having a great start to the year.

I'd like to see him do it for a while ago as he's got a habit of getting ice cold for a few games and looking very beatable. Still I think Dallas has not a lot to worry about in goal.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I thought he had small injury last year? And at least one small at WCs if that counts.
Mists of Pandaria came out.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Read his post. It doesn't mention the Vezina or playing better than XXX once. Nor did the rest of this thread even mention the Vezina until ******** Sens fans read the title and not the posts in the thread.

Anderson's playing great. He'd win the Vezina if it was held today. You win. Now let's talk about Kari, who people really don't appreciate because not many people watch Stars games night in and night out to see how often he stands on his head for this team.
Are other fans who have a Vezina quality goaltender on their team not allowed to respond to the title? How does that make them ********? Confusing.

Should people only respond to topics they agree with?

You will also see other posters, fans of other teams, give their "nominations" or back up the title. Responding to those posts is ******** as well?

The first person to mention Anderson wasn't even a Sens fan.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

I find it amusing that in debates about the best defenceman in the league Karlsson is getting bailed out by Anderson and isn't an elite defender.

In debates about who the best goaltender in the league is, Anderson's stats are inflated because he has Karlsson keeping him safe.

I love HFBoards.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
the tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukNBure View Post
BY FAR the best performer this season. Deserves the Vezina if he keeps this up.
False

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

it's a good thing the vezina trophy is given out 10 games into the season!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

If the Hart trophy was actually given to the ""player adjudged most valuable to his team" Lehtonen would be my favourite to win it right now.

Anderson can keep his Vezina.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

I really don't think there is an argument against him being the best goalie in the world as of right now.

Bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
SNES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I find it amusing that in debates about the best defenceman in the league Karlsson is getting bailed out by Anderson and isn't an elite defender.

In debates about who the best goaltender in the league is, Anderson's stats are inflated because he has Karlsson keeping him safe.

I love HFBoards.
Classic HF

Old
02-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
I really don't think there is an argument against him being the best goalie in the world as of right now.
I guess you could argue the guy that leads the league in literally every major Goalie stat, and not by a little, could be considered the best goalie in the world right now.

Of course he could just be a product of Ottawa's amazing defence.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I guess you could argue the guy that leads the league in literally every major Goalie stat, and not by a little, could be considered the best goalie in the world right now.

Of course he could just be a product of Ottawa's amazing defence.
Close. We have the puck a lot thanks to Karlsson and Andy sees a lot of the shots.
There aren't a lot of times when players are 3-4 on top of him jamming it in.

He's doing great for us but let's not pretend this is Hasek circa 1996 or so.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:33 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
It also has to do with Anderson's playing style. Luongo and Anderson both make difficult saves look very routine, probably has to do a lot with who both training with Allaire this off season.

Kari seems to be more acrobatic, I don't think that necessarily makes him any better.
Yeah I know what you're saying. I love Anderson and I think his presence is huge for the Sens. I just don't think he's as talented as Lehtonen. I am convinced that Lehtonen can be a top 10 goalie for 5 years... I'm not yet convinced that Anderson has that ability. Top 15 - absolutely, but even as a huge fan of Anderson's I'm not of the mind that he can consistently dominate.

When Anderson is at his best, he's unbeatable. We don't need that. But when he stops being dominant, he's just 'OK'. I need to see more of a middle ground with him. This may be a case of me seeing Anderson play probably 100 more games than I've seen of Lehtonen, though.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote