HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lehtonen for Vezina

Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I used to rag on this guy all the time but I have to admit he's having a great start to the year.

I'd like to see him do it for a while ago as he's got a habit of getting ice cold for a few games and looking very beatable. Still I think Dallas has not a lot to worry about in goal.
This may come as a shock but there is not a single goalie in the league who is lights out every game. Goalies just like forwards and defensemen have bad games. Lehtonen has back to back 30+ win seasons (34 in 10/11 and 32 in 11/12) on a team that was absolutely horrible in every facet of hockey. With the combination of Nilstorp and Bachman as backups Dallas is not to shabby in the goal-tending department.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
SpezDispenser

Yeah, no. Anderson.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I guess you could argue the guy that leads the league in literally every major Goalie stat, and not by a little, could be considered the best goalie in the world right now.

Of course he could just be a product of Ottawa's amazing defence.
No. Anderson is obviously a phenomenal goalie, and I don't think Ottawa's defense does him many favors.

But Dallas' defense is just absolutely atrocious. Watch them for a game. I don't think anyone but Lehtonen could put up those kinds of numbers with the crap he deals with. Not to mention he spends half of each game on the PK.

Bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Close. We have the puck a lot thanks to Karlsson and Andy sees a lot of the shots.
There aren't a lot of times when players are 3-4 on top of him jamming it in.

He's doing great for us but let's not pretend this is Hasek circa 1996 or so.
I guess while we're at it we won't pretend that Ottawa was 2nd worst in the league for shots against per game, and 6th worst in the league for goals against last year with a better defence (and forwards group) than they have this year. Still allowing the 5th most shots against per game in the league while having the best goals against per game in the league.

People have crashed the net, have had breakaways, have had great shots...Andy has just been phenomenal. Have respect for whatever goalie you want, but respect that Anderson has easily been the best goalie in the league up to this point. It's not close.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess while we're at it we won't pretend that Ottawa was 2nd worst in the league for shots against per game, and 6th worst in the league for goals against last year with a better defence (and forwards group) than they have this year. Still allowing the 5th most shots against per game in the league while having the best goals against per game in the league.

People have crashed the net, have had breakaways, have had great shots...Andy has just been phenomenal. Have respect for whatever goalie you want, but respect that Anderson has easily been the best goalie in the league up to this point. It's not close.
I agree it's not close. But it's not Anderson.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
No. Anderson is obviously a phenomenal goalie, and I don't think Ottawa's defense does him many favors.

But Dallas' defense is just absolutely atrocious. Watch them for a game. I don't think anyone but Lehtonen could put up those kinds of numbers with the crap he deals with. Not to mention he spends half of each game on the PK.
This is bang on if we are comparing the two teams... I am a Sens fan and watch all their games... Andersson has been phenomenal but he just not to do as many jaw dropping things as Lehtonen is forced to do.

The Stars blueline is so bad and inexperienced... he is literally Haseking teams to get the Stars wins... I have not watched such a display of talent in the goaltending position in a long time... his hybrid style with his reflexes is just incredible to watch

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
This is bang on if we are comparing the two teams... I am a Sens fan and watch all their games... Andersson has been phenomenal but he just not to do as many jaw dropping things as Lehtonen is forced to do.

The Stars blueline is so bad and inexperienced... he is literally Haseking teams to get the Stars wins... I have not watched such a display of talent in the goaltending position in a long time... his hybrid style with his reflexes is just incredible to watch
Yeah, we're really lucky to have him. If the Stars manage to make a run to the playoffs, it will have been on his shoulders.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Oiled up*

Quote:
I find it amusing that in debates about the best defenceman in the league Karlsson is getting bailed out by Anderson and isn't an elite defender.

In debates about who the best goaltender in the league is, Anderson's stats are inflated because he has Karlsson keeping him safe.

I love HFBoards.
It's the truth though... Anderson is making Karlsson look average in the defensive department. Thats not to say that Anderson is playing above his head and imo will come back down to earth eventually.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:

Anderson doesn't have to do them because he is superior positionally. When he is called upon to make some miraculous saves he has more than delivered. Many a highlight just from this season has been posted on the main board. Some have been 'save of the year' candidates already.

I find it weird that goalies who constantly have to make acrobatic saves (whether or not they are out of position) tend to come off as 'better' than a goalie that can read the play and see the puck very, very well and just knows where to be. So by extension the goalie that makes his job look harder is better than the goalie that makes his job look easy, while coming up with big saves when needed.

Give me the goalie that makes his job look easy 95% of the time, but still makes insane saves when needed.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Anderson doesn't have to do them because he is superior positionally. When he is called upon to make some miraculous saves he has more than delivered. Many a highlight just from this season has been posted on the main board. Some have been 'save of the year' candidates already.

I find it weird that goalies who constantly have to make acrobatic saves (whether or not they are out of position) tend to come off as 'better' than a goalie that can read the play and see the puck very, very well and just knows where to be. So by extension the goalie that makes his job look harder is better than the goalie that makes his job look easy, while coming up with big saves when needed.

Give me the goalie that makes his job look easy 95% of the time, but still makes insane saves when needed.
No dude you just don't get it.... it's not a positional problem at all... the Stars defense gives up countless cross crease/slot passes in front of the net a game and Lehtonen is forced to be insane to stop the puck... on top of the odd man rushes

Andersson just does not have to do stuff like that.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
No dude you just don't get it.... it's not a positional problem at all... the Stars defense gives up countless cross crease/slot passes in front of the net a game and Lehtonen is forced to be insane to stop the puck... on top of the odd man rushes

Andersson just does not have to do stuff like that.
Exactly!

Last nights game against Edmonton there were at least a half dozen passes through Dallas' crease that the defense should of stopped. The only goal to beat Lehtonen was Hall's wrist shot coming down the left wing. The shot just handcuffed Lehtonen.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:16 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

As a fan of BOTH Anderson and Kari, until they both play this good consistently for a season, I'm not going to vouch for either for the Vezina just yet.

Though, wasn't Anderson a finalist that year he was with the Avalanche?

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Disclose

He has been amazing so far.
Obviously i would pick Anderson so far, but its hard to argue Lethonens contributions in dallas.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
As a fan of BOTH Anderson and Kari, until they both play this good consistently for a season, I'm not going to vouch for either for the Vezina just yet.

Though, wasn't Anderson a finalist that year he was with the Avalanche?
How do you define consistency? Back to back 30+ wins for Lehtonen on one of the worst teams i have ever witnessed is pretty damn good.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:

You just described kari lehtonen.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
marquee

Took him almost a decade to fully mature as a player and live up to his potential. Man drafting goalies is tricky as Atlanta isn't seeing this.

marquee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Right now Anderson is the easy front runner, but it's still early, even in this 1/2 of a season.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Right now Anderson is the easy front runner, but it's still early, even in this 1/2 of a season.
Statistically...yes! If you are considering stats and standing on his head because the team in front of his is below average then its Lehtonen.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

shades of Mark Antony:

I came here to praise Lehtonen but he got buried by Anderson.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:07 PM
The Fuhr*

Bachman started tonight 3-0 10 minutes in... Lehtonen makes saves on those goals

Old
02-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
^He's got every one of Dallas's wins this season....Nihlstorp's 0-2 and Bachman well on his way to the same record. Stars looking brutal tonight and this time they don't have a top goalie to bail them out.

Dallas will ultimately go as far as Kari can take them.

02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

If you watched last nights game you'll see why Lehtonen is HANDS DOWN dominant over Anderson. And it's not even close. At all.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:53 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Always been a fan. Go Kari!

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Imagine this stat line at the end of the season:

Conn Smythe for Niemi, Vezina for Lehtonen, Calder for Fasth.

It'd be a banner year for the Pacific!
Quick/Bernier Jennings and 2nd Cup!

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
If you watched last nights game you'll see why Lehtonen is HANDS DOWN dominant over Anderson. And it's not even close. At all.

Anderson have been amazing so far this year, Lethonen is wayyyyyyyyy behind, as you said it's not even close.

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote