HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most underrated Leaf so far?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
HookeyPlayer

vCash: 500
Most underrated Leaf so far?

Now that half the season is over and the Leafs are a few points away from the Eastern Conference crown, I was wondering who you think has not been getting enough credit for what they do on the ice?

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SprDaVE

McClement and Komarov.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Kulemin, by a country mile.

Hearing people call him useless and saying we should trade him is pretty lawl worthy when him and McClement have turned our PK around. Fact of the matter is that Carlyle sees what he is and has re-evaluated his role into a shutdown winger. Everyone who hates (like every casual fan) still expect him to be this offensive player when it's pretty clear how Carlyle sees his strengths.

Last edited by BonMorrison: 03-07-2013 at 10:09 AM.
BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Cody Franson

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Suntouchable13

Mr. Clarke MacArthur. People want him gone, but he is a very nice player to have.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Grabovski.

You would think the guy belongs in the ECHL. Sure, his production's down, but the way he's talked about, and villified is outrageous.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Mark Fraser or Leo Komarov

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post

Hearing people call him useless and saying we should trade him is pretty lawl worthy when him and McClement have turned out PK around. Fact of the matter is that Carlyle sees what he is and has re-evaluated his role into a shutdown winger. Everyone who hates still expect him to be this offensive player when it's pretty clear how Carlyle sees his strengths.
This.

McClement has been more valuable to our PK, but McClement is also getting his praise. Kuli is not.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

Hearing people call him useless and saying we should trade him is pretty lawl worthy when him and McClement have turned out PK around. Fact of the matter is that Carlyle sees what he is and has re-evaluated his role into a shutdown winger. Everyone who hates still expect him to be this offensive player when it's pretty clear how Carlyle sees his strengths.
This.

Or Phil Kessel. He has proven once again what a versatile player he is going full playmaker on playing with new line mate JVR. He has has also shown progress on his two-way game throughout the duration of the season.

People have been claiming that his 6 goals means he's having a disappointing season but really they don't understand it's a matter of circumstance playing with a different type of player in JVR in contrast to Jeffrey Lupul.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Cody Franson
Here's your answer. He's the most shining example of Ron Wilson's ignorance. 6"5 offensively gifted, mobile defenseman don't grow on trees. When you're lucky enough to find one, you don't sit them in a press box. Bloody asinine.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Terrence
Homeless

Chalk up another vote for Kulie. Guy won't ever score 20 goals again, but he is the Leafs best defensive winger and they don't have alotta those.

03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Kulemon

Bozak. He's been playing almost 23 minutes a night regularly, killing penalties, playing on the PP, being one of the best in the league on draws, and chipping in offensively quite a bit.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
caribouPINE

Franson and Mcclement

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

McClement, with a side of Franson.

McClement is seriously making me ponder Grabovski trades in my head.

Better at the draw, Better defensively, can chip in up front. 3rd line C? why not?

Kulemin-McClement-Komarov.....could be the best shutdown line in the league, and I am trying not to be a homer.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

I wouldn't consider McClement underrated at all as it's pretty much a lovefest for him around here all the time (rightfully so).

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I wouldn't consider McClement underrated at all as it's pretty much a lovefest for him around here all the time (rightfully so).
I agree. I think it'll always be Kulemin.

03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Kessel or Phaneuf.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
HappyGilmourr

ya i really love mcclement I would say he's finally get his due so I won't say him. Most underrated would be Kulemin.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Raging Bull

Since basically every player has been named, I'll throw Scrivens name in the mix. Kept us afloat with Reimer out.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Offspring

+1 for Kulemin. I've always been a huge fan of his play and I almost cringe whenever I read posts demanding we trade him.

Honorable mentions to Scrivens and Kessel's improvement in his two-way game...which isn't great, but I can't wait to see where he is 2-3 years from now.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
TheSilencer

Komarov. The man doesn't even look like a rookie.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Ari91

I honestly think a good chunk of players not named Kadri, Frattin and JVR have been underrated so far. While those 3 have carried the load offensively in terms of goals scored, the wins have been by committee and are a result of several players doing things that make a lot of difference without getting the glory for it.

McClement, Kulemin and Komarov have been given roles that require them to play strong defense and all three of them have excelled at this. They don't have the offensive numbers to show for their effort but you just need to watch a game to see how hard these guys work. Kulemin probably gets special honours over the other two because the other two haven't had to battle the criticisms of their offensive productions just because they had one 30 goal season. Of course every player wants to score and Carlyle wants scoring from every line but that's not Kulemin's primary role.

MacArthur - just by virtue of him being one of the leaders in the locker room, has come up big offensively for the team and has improved his defense yet he's probably the one guy that people are waiting to see shipped out, he makes this list.

Cody Franson - 4th in scoring, second highest + rating for dmen, is using his big body a lot more this year and he's been a huge improvement to our first unit power play (don't know why it took so long to put him there). Wilson really dropped the ball with this one. Thankfully Carlyle didn't repeat his mistakes.

Bozak - Yeah I get it, he's not a real number one centre but he's a work horse. Great speed, great at faceoffs and is the defensive anchor for the line he centres and plays a huge role in defensive zone face offs.

Scrivens - Going into the season with a Reimer/Scrivens tandem, it sure as hell wasn't Reimer that people were worried about. Scrivens was forced to play starter for several games with Reimer out of the line up and it could have cracked under the pressure, especially with how well Reimer was playing before getting injured. Instead, he rose to the task and maybe with the exception of a game or two, he gave the team a chance to win every night.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Since basically every player has been named, I'll throw Scrivens name in the mix. Kept us afloat with Reimer out.
id say both are goalies. just about ever major media outlet claimed that we would never achieve success with a reimer/scrivens duo. i think the two of them have provided pretty reliable goaltending all things considered.

having said that our team defense is far superior which does make things easier on the goalies.

gabeliscious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Ari91

By the way, this thread makes me realize that it's been a long time since I've looked at a Leafs roster and needed more than a couple of fingers to count the players that I really really like and hope to keep around.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Now that half the season is over and the Leafs are a few points away from the Eastern Conference crown, I was wondering who you think has not been getting enough credit for what they do on the ice?
Mark Fraser - easy one, as he has been a rock defensively, as well as big and physical shot blocking, crease clearing machine.