HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It May Be Time To Re-Visit Kessel at Center

View Poll Results: Kessel to Center?
Yes, try him at C. 4 8.33%
No leave him on the wing, realign the top 9 another way. 26 54.17%
Trade him. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Yeah, he is not cheating as much this season and credit to him for that. But he will have to show a lot more before I call him even average defensively. If he do work really hard perhaps he could become a Parise kind of center (when he was play C) but I doubt it.
I wouldn't propose Kessel at Center unless he showed us a commitment to defence, think most will agree last year he was much better, a 200 ft game, and he has carried it onto trying to be grittier, labeling him weak defensively because he was at 23 is wrong. Players mature, Kessel has. He was placed on wing by the Bruins because he wasn't ready to play Center in the NHL.

Well now we have a shortage of an elite Center, we also for the first time have 3 legitimate 1st line players, that both have chemistry with Phil.

This could be a dynamic line, Kessel's creativity, JVR's power game, and Lupul's board work.

I'm kind of excited to see what they can do if put together.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:27 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I wouldn't propose Kessel at Center unless he showed us a commitment to defence, think most will agree last year he was much better, a 200 ft game, and he has carried it onto trying to be grittier, labeling him weak defensively because he was at 23 is wrong. Players mature, Kessel has. He was placed on wing by the Bruins because he wasn't ready to play Center in the NHL.

Well now we have a shortage of an elite Center, we also for the first time have 3 legitimate 1st line players, that both have chemistry with Phil.

This could be a dynamic line, Kessel's creativity, JVR's power game, and Lupul's board work.

They can try it on the PP first but having 3 players committed to offense with only 1 puck seem like overkill to me. I rather have some kind of 2-way player on each line and none of the above players are that.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
They can try it on the PP first but having 3 players committed to offense with only 1 puck seem like overkill to me. I rather have some kind of 2-way player on each line and none of the above players are that.
This is a legitmate question, but again Richards, Nash, and Gaborik have been a very good line.

Maybe opposing players would be too busy defending to worry about counter offence.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
topched

Once a year this comes up

Honestly PK has enough trouble defensively on the wing. He's also a 2x allstar and 82 points scorer there.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Who will back check to ensure there isn't an open shot in the slot in our end. Don't see Kessel holding that area down when let's say a big ass Corey Perry is just standing in the slot waiting for a pass from Getz.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Hockeylaw

He lacks the physicality I would like to see in a center. He is more defensively responsible than he used to be, but he will only ever attempt to win a board battle with his stick. He shies away from contact.

Kessel can pass and make plays, no question. But his greatest assets are his speed and his shot, and I'm not sure you're getting the most out of those by playing him at center.

That said, a part of me would really like to see this attempted, just to gauge the result. Sometimes players can surprise you. Carlyle was certain that Lupul would never be effective at left wing, and look how that turned out.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
the Kessel so far this season definitely yes. Not the same player he was at 23.
No you're wrong . His passing does not make him a suitable centre ugh you'd make an awful coach

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Leaf4Life

This is like putting Ovechkin at centre. Horrible idea.

Leaf4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
slozo

I think it's a solid idea, myself - and one that deserves merit / mulling over. I disagree that the centre HAS to be some kind of defensive stalwart; and I disagree with those that think vanRiemsdyk is suited better for centre - I really think he isn't.

Tha being said, in a shortened season such as this . . . with enough new guys and improving players already (Lupul out, Kadri and Frattin in, Bozak playing well) . . . I think it'd be foolish and extremely unlikely it is tried this year unless a bad stretch happens and Carlyle starts to tinker.

Definitely could be something for next season though - ya never know. I'd still put the odds as low for it working out or being tried . . . as others have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and with now Kadri emerging as a bona fide top 6 centre and Bozak's improving game, it seems less and less likely this is a real need/weakness.

slozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:52 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Phil doesn't win enough puck battles to be a centre.

02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
G51 K81*

Bozak is so underrated.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Mat Fratthouse

Nooooooooooo

Mat Fratthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Kibago

as others have said, I think I would play JVR at center on a Kessel/JVR/Lupul line.
it's not a bad idea - i'm not overly worried about the defensive end, you can have one of the wingers 'play center' in terms of defensive responsibility - but it's not better than JVR doing it.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

It doesn't matter how much better he looks defensively, the truth is that he's a player that likes to bolt as soon as we gain possesion for the possible break-out. Just because someone looks better defensively doesn't automaitcally make them a good canddate for center. That's like saying Simon Gagne, St. Louis etc should've been converted because they're good defensively and are play-makers. Tanguay and Kane were tried this year and last and were complete failures.

Actually the funniest thing about this is the fact that you were crying just last week about how teams need big centers to succeed and then you turn around and say that Kessel should be a C?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Just because Phil backchecks more, and occasionally goes to the net, and scrums along the wall, doesn't make him fit in the least, to play the role demanded of a #1C in the NHL.

I love Phil, and his commitment to grow his game, but this idea is ridiculous.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Bozak is so underrated.
Love that avatar, 2 Leafs just kicking 4 *****.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slozo View Post
I think it's a solid idea, myself - and one that deserves merit / mulling over. I disagree that the centre HAS to be some kind of defensive stalwart; and I disagree with those that think vanRiemsdyk is suited better for centre - I really think he isn't.

Tha being said, in a shortened season such as this . . . with enough new guys and improving players already (Lupul out, Kadri and Frattin in, Bozak playing well) . . . I think it'd be foolish and extremely unlikely it is tried this year unless a bad stretch happens and Carlyle starts to tinker.

Definitely could be something for next season though - ya never know. I'd still put the odds as low for it working out or being tried . . . as others have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and with now Kadri emerging as a bona fide top 6 centre and Bozak's improving game, it seems less and less likely this is a real need/weakness.
I can certainly see Caryle trying this at some point of a game this season, when we need a goal.

Bylsma does when he puts Crosby with Malkin and Neal if they need a goal. Putting your 3 star fwds together is not a bad concept. Worth mulling over.

BTW for those that don't know, Kessel is 6'0 202lbs.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
This is a legitmate question, but again Richards, Nash, and Gaborik have been a very good line.

Maybe opposing players would be too busy defending to worry about counter offence.
not good enough; they were split up last night

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can certainly see Caryle trying this at some point of a game this season, when we need a goal.

Bylsma does when he puts Crosby with Malkin and Neal if they need a goal. Putting your 3 star fwds together is not a bad concept. Worth mulling over.

100lbs leg muscles, the rest is fat.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

we've all seen how your suggested lines have panned out in the past. this will follow suit

PK will remain on the wing, where he belongs.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

They need size and faceoff skill at center and Kessel would bring neither. If it turned out he was great on the dot (I doubt it) I think they could make it work with a bruising winger, but they don't really have anyone in the system like that. I agree Bozak is not the guy but neither is Phil.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
we've all seen how your suggested lines have panned out in the past. this will follow suit

PK will remain on the wing, where he belongs.
What suggested lines other than Kessel, JVR, and Lupul?

Further why do you have this habit of speaking in a condescending to each and every poster here?

I'm asking you, can you Try not to derail this thread.

There are some good responses in this thread and I think I have laid out good reasons for trying Kessel at Center.

Debate the why you don't think it will work, or just leave the thread all together.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
100lbs leg muscles, the rest is fat.
He's not a physical player I will grant you this, but history has shown there have been many Center's that use speed and skill to counteract this. Datysuk for one that comes off the top of my head, and I am by no means comparing anyone to Pavel. But strength is not a prerequisite to play Center, if we have a big physical Center in the top 9, it may be a good alternative to finding a big #1 center, The Gezlaf dreams are just that, you play the cards you are dealt. Not many 6'5 skilled elite Center's available to realistically have one in a Leafs uniform.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
What suggested lines other than Kessel, JVR, and Lupul?

Further why do you have this habit of speaking in a condescending to each and every poster here?

I'm asking you, can you Try not to derail this thread.

There are some good responses in this thread and I think I have laid out good reasons for trying Kessel at Center.

Debate the why you don't think it will work, or just leave the thread all together.
no debate just fact. Phil is better suited for the wing. he creates offense off the rush and likes to get a jump and take off when the Leafs get possession in their own end. as a center, and in deep, this would hinder his best asset. he also lacks size, despite the numbers you quote above all you have to do is look at him in a game situation. he's not built to battle and not built to play center. Tyler is not big either but he sure plays a lot bigger than Phil.

Phil's days in the middle are done.

Last edited by Hurt: 02-13-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Don't make it personal
Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
He's not a physical player I will grant you this, but history has shown there have been many Center's that use speed and skill to counteract this. Datysuk for one that comes off the top of my head, and I am by no means comparing anyone to Pavel. But strength is not a prerequisite to play Center, if we have a big physical Center in the top 9, it may be a good alternative to finding a big #1 center, The Gezlaf dreams are just that, you play the cards you are dealt. Not many 6'5 skilled elite Center's available to realistically have one in a Leafs uniform.
Pavel doesn't play soft like Phil does. bad comparison