HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with making/receiving passes, by myself!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
  #1
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Help with making/receiving passes, by myself!

So, I'm an okay shot, okay skater. I see the game decently well. On the rare occasion where I actually get the pass where I want it to go, it's very nice and my teammates make note of it.

Problem is, I suck at taking most passes and giving passes.

On giving passes. If it's a completely clear lane, I nail it. But that rarely happens right? People have sticks in lanes, people are skating, I'm skating. I notice that the better players always seem to manage to get the puck through. This seems to me something I cannot practice on my own. But I'd love to hear if there is a way.

On taking passes. If it's a perfect pass I'll have no problem. But again, rarely the case. It's much easier on my forehand than my backhand. Easier if it's not a bullet of a pass. And if it's in my feet I have trouble.

Cheap solutions are preferrable! I've looked up some fake ice, but it looks like it'd run me $100 for a decent amount of surface area. And a "passing buddy" tool I found was like $140. If anyone's got tips on how to procure, or build myself, a cheap "passing buddy" that'd be awesome. I've got a real puck, training puck, roller hockey puck, and a green biscuit.

If anyone's got any tips on how to practice taking/making passes, without needing ice/another player, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
  #2
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
You can find plans to make your own "passing buddy" online for minimal costs, but are you completely ruling out stick & puck time at the rink?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
  #3
n3gkiwi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Not sure if you can, but it sounds like you aren't too bad at making passes and taking passes when your stationary? If so, my next suggestion would be to start practising while moving. If you don't have access to much ice where you can practice, put some rollerblades if you have them and bounce a tennis / orange ball against a garage wall or school wall or something and practice getting your stick in the right place while moving. Just try keeping it in front of you. Most novices I see let the puck go behind them. If you can do this, then start by trying to get use to the weight of the puck. You can even get balls that way the same amount as a puck. You can even stick handle on a small sheet of plastic/synthetic ice to get a feel for the puck.

Before games you can even bank passes off the boards to yourself while moving. Don't practice simple passes that you can take easily - no point. Passing with your teammates if the best option obviously.

Basically if you can't get your stick in the right position while moving, taking/making passes will be always be tough...

n3gkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
  #4
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,416
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
During warmups or before pickup starts I will see a stationary puck and try to hit it with the puck I have. If you can hit a puck with another puck you should be good at passing. I agree with the above about the tennis ball. Really gives you a good feel for the back and forth motion you need to be able to stick handle, rolling your wrists, footwork and balance. Most of it is hand/eye coordination, you should be able to see a teammate on the ice and judge how fast he is going and where the puck needs to be in order to lead him properly and that needs to happen in a split second.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
  #5
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
Learn to catch a pass with just your top hand on the stick. If the puck is off, get a piece of it which will kill the speed, and hopefully tip it to somewhere you can reach it. I did some work with a smart hockey ball with just one arm on the stick for quite a bit a couple summers ago and between that and some pickup/summer league, I got quite good at catching crap passes, which at my level is common

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
  #6
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
You can find plans to make your own "passing buddy" online for minimal costs, but are you completely ruling out stick & puck time at the rink?
Gets pricey kind quick. Plus, it turns into a scrimmage pretty quickly. I've tried it but after just 10 sessions that was already $50. Looking for something more long term, sustainable, and where I don't have to rely on finding someone also looking for passing practice/willing to put up with my badness.

Thanks for the other suggestions though, guys!

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
  #7
flyers10
Registered User
 
flyers10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Buy the $12 Thrifty White board at HD or Lowes and configure a bungee set-up on one end and for about $20 total you have an 4x8 pass/shooting board. Can also get a green biscuit and make a bungee rebounder for passing on garage floor.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 PM
  #8
mobilus
Registered User
 
mobilus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: high slot
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Looking for something more long term, sustainable, and where I don't have to rely on finding someone also looking for passing practice/willing to put up with my badness.
Get a tennis ball and road hockey stick and go out on the street. Pass the ball off the curb and bounce it back to yourself. Over and over. Hundreds of times, thousands of time. You don't need anyone else, cost is negligible, and you can practice forehand, backhand, soft passes, hard passes.... any time of day or night.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
  #9
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
So, I'm an okay shot, okay skater. I see the game decently well. On the rare occasion where I actually get the pass where I want it to go, it's very nice and my teammates make note of it.

Problem is, I suck at taking most passes and giving passes.

On giving passes. If it's a completely clear lane, I nail it. But that rarely happens right? People have sticks in lanes, people are skating, I'm skating. I notice that the better players always seem to manage to get the puck through. This seems to me something I cannot practice on my own. But I'd love to hear if there is a way.

On taking passes. If it's a perfect pass I'll have no problem. But again, rarely the case. It's much easier on my forehand than my backhand. Easier if it's not a bullet of a pass. And if it's in my feet I have trouble.

Cheap solutions are preferrable! I've looked up some fake ice, but it looks like it'd run me $100 for a decent amount of surface area. And a "passing buddy" tool I found was like $140. If anyone's got tips on how to procure, or build myself, a cheap "passing buddy" that'd be awesome. I've got a real puck, training puck, roller hockey puck, and a green biscuit.

If anyone's got any tips on how to practice taking/making passes, without needing ice/another player, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys!
Another thing you can do is make a "russian stick". Get an old stick or a blade and make a vertical cut through the blade at the halfway point. You will have an half blade now and it will train you to catch passes near the back of the blade.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 AM
  #10
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
I've never gotten my home-made bungee to work. Thought about one of those one timer things but dunno if it's worth it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
  #11
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
A good trick for receiving passes is to go out with a golf ball and bounce it off a wall to yourself. Try to receive it without too much of a "thwack".

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.