HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

vCash: 500
His decisions can be questioned, but nearly everything you are questioning is completely unreasonable.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
You just got

No offense, my man, but 95% of your posts here are about Alex Semin and the ones that aren't seem way off the mark. so don't be surprised if you catch a little flak for it.
No that's not it at all. My posts have been misunderstood. I don't take offense to this nor to anyone's opinion. But, that's fine. Lets have some fun. Have at it. The truth is that thus far Muller has not impressed me. My opinion! Alex Semin may likely not be in Carolina next year so no worries. If you guys can't see some dysfunction that has been developing on the team, you haven't been paying close attention. Time will tell if this is a slump or the season is done. I hope things turn around. Time will tell about all. Doesn't bother me a bit. It is quite amusing actually.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
You just got

No offense, my man, but 95% of your posts here are about Alex Semin and the ones that aren't seem way off the mark. so don't be surprised if you catch a little flak for it.
Right? That was fairly obvious.

Anyways...to seriously respond to mr rocky07s constant Muller-bashing, you have to suspend the assumption that other teams are winning games because of talent and effort. If effort wanes, and there are definitely "types" of effort, then you're in for serious problems. If your goaltenders are Ellis and Peters, and if a couple of your d-men are AHLers, the problems are exacerbated.

There are of course outliers, such as Ottawa. That is a combination of great coaching, buying into the system, and outstanding goaltending.

But there are plenty of teams that simply run out of gas or have enough individual problems that make it difficult to beat teams that are clicking.

A little bit is coaching...but in my opinion, it lies on the players. They've won plenty of games, and they rightly were praised for it. Now they need to sack up and get their ***** in gear.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
Mark my words fellas. Agree with me or not; if the status quo continues, the Canes season is over and that would be a shame given that it doesn't have to be that way.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
Mark my words fellas. Agree with me or not; if the status quo continues, the Canes season is over and that would be a shame given that it doesn't have to be that way.
Well of course. If they continue to lose, the season will be over. Your revelatory skills are unmatched.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
aho

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, we're on a 5 game losing streak. If that streak continues for the rest of the year, I agree, our season is over.

EDIT: Beaten by Sens, oh well.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
No that's not it at all. My posts have been misunderstood. I don't take offense to this nor to anyone's opinion. But, that's fine. Lets have some fun. Have at it. The truth is that thus far Muller has not impressed me. My opinion! Alex Semin may likely not be in Carolina next year so no worries. If you guys can't see some dysfunction that has been developing on the team, you haven't been paying close attention. Time will tell if this is a slump or the season is done. I hope things turn around. Time will tell about all. Doesn't bother me a bit. It is quite amusing actually.
FWIW, I don't disagree that there is some level of dysfunction on this team lately. I also strongly believe Muller has some growing to do as an NHL head coach. But when you start talking about it's Muller's fault that Ellis got hurt because he didn't stick to some "rotation" that you apparently imagined existing, or that Jordan Staal is really a third-line player who's only being forced into a bigger role because this team lacks depth, well, those things are completely off the mark and people are going to stop taking you seriously. Hence the obvious troll on you. No offense, just telling you how it is.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Penguins get Brendan Morrow. A guy the Canes could have really used.

Considering the price the Penguins had to pay, though, pretty glad JR didn't do it.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Penguins get Brendan Morrow. A guy the Canes could have really used.

Considering the price the Penguins had to pay, though, pretty glad JR didn't do it.
Pretty much their best prospect, right?

Old
03-24-2013, 05:21 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Yeah, this is the time of year that GMs lose their damned minds if they're in the top-8.

No matter how bad this streak gets, I don't want to see us making trades remotely resembling that one. We're just not in that position yet.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Pretty much their best prospect, right?
No way. Pens are loaded with D prospects..including 2 we just handed them in Dumo and Pouliot.

And this was not an overpayment. The 3rd coming back to Pittsburgh makes it a very fair deal.

Wish JR would do a deal every now and again where we don't get totally hosed. He seems to always get worked over.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Sure they're loaded with D prospects, but he's by FAR the best they have, including the guy they took at #8 this year.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
aho

I don't get it. If Pittsburgh already had a Morrow, and Dallas already had a Morrow, seems like a simple phone call could've solved this whole bit of confusion...

Old
03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
And this was not an overpayment. The 3rd coming back to Pittsburgh makes it a very fair deal.
I don't know if it's necessarily an "overpayment." Only hindsight can say that. If they win the cup it's well worth it.

But Morrow, as much as I love him, is essentially Scott Walker at this point in his career. I can understand Dallas wanting a premium because he's been their captain for umpteen years, but at this point is his career, he's not the kind of guy you give up a top prospect for.

The token swapping of draft picks? Meh. The likelihood of a 3rd round pick turning into a good is not much more than the likelihood of the 5th. If you look at the position Dallas is in right now, trying to build and get younger, I think they made out like gangbusters. And if they got that for Morrow I can only imagine what they're trying to get for Derek Roy.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

I wouldn't want anything to do with B. Morrow, especially if it would have cost us our best prospect.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:53 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
I wouldn't want anything to do with B. Morrow, especially if it would have cost us our best prospect.
Agreed. I'd be pissed if we gave up Victor Rask or Ryan Murphy to get him.

Mind you we're in the playoff contender status range, not the Cup contender status that the Pens are.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:56 PM
NotOpie
AhoInHurricanesville

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
The real story behind the Morrow for Morrow trade is the absolute meltdown going on from PITT fans on the main board....can you say "...clean up on aisle 5"

Old
03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
bleedgreen

I think it's a fair deal, considering the time of year. Pitt can afford to chance losing one kid for help winning the cup. The goal is the cup, not the top ranking on the hf prospect teams list.

Morrow has some miles left and is a guy I've wanted us to go for the last few years. Closest thing to Gary Roberts out there. Pitts also gets a head start on re signing him to hopefully decent deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if the pens move another d prospect for someone else. This is a good year for them to go for it.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I think it's a fair deal, considering the time of year. Pitt can afford to chance losing one kid for help winning the cup. The goal is the cup, not the top ranking on the hf prospect teams list.

Morrow has some miles left and is a guy I've wanted us to go for the last few years. Closest thing to Gary Roberts out there. Pitts also gets a head start on re signing him to hopefully decent deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if the pens move another d prospect for someone else. This is a good year for them to go for it.
I think we only disagree on Morrow's effectiveness at this point in his career. From reading the Stars board (even before now) they feel like his days as any kind of offensive threat are over. As I said above I think he's far more Scott Walker than Gary Roberts at this point.

I'm not the kind of person who places a huge value on prospects either. If Derek Roy really is available and willing to sign long-term then I feel like the Canes should go all-out for him, even if that means losing Rask or Murphy.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:

I'm not the kind of person who places a huge value on prospects either. If Derek Roy really is available and willing to sign long-term then I feel like the Canes should go all-out for him, even if that means losing Rask or Murphy.
Man, if rocky07 thinks there's some "divisiveness" in the locker room now, what til Derek Roy gets here. Guy wants his stats and wants them bad.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Man, if rocky07 thinks there's some "divisiveness" in the locker room now, what til Derek Roy gets here. Guy wants his stats and wants them bad.
I never believed most of the bad talk about him in Buffalo. They were trashing him as he played with one arm the whole season. IIRC they even booed him on "Derek Roy Night," but that's Buffalo for you.

Supposedly he's played a good team-oriented game in Dallas and has even been one of their better defensive players. I think he would be a great fit now or in free agency.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
I never believed most of the bad talk about him in Buffalo. They were trashing him as he played with one arm the whole season. IIRC they even booed him on "Derek Roy Night," but that's Buffalo for you.

Supposedly he's played a good team-oriented game in Dallas and has even been one of their better defensive players. I think he would be a great fit now or in free agency.
I'm not going by talk on HF. Plus, isn't he pretty much on the downside of his career? I know we want that 3rd line center, but I would think he would command upwards of 3.5 or 4 million. Not exactly what we're looking for IMO. But that's me.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
I'm not going by talk on HF. Plus, isn't he pretty much on the downside of his career? I know we want that 3rd line center, but I would think he would command upwards of 3.5 or 4 million. Not exactly what we're looking for IMO. But that's me.
I was thinking about him more as a winger on the second line but you're right, he would probably cost too much.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
I was thinking about him more as a winger on the second line but you're right, he would probably cost too much.
I thought he was a center. Not real sure if he's ever played wing.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

Don't know how I feel about the Caps beating the Rangers tonight, sure we stay put in 8th but Caps are coming back into play for the SE. Doubt Tampa can come back against the Jets so this week I'm expecting playoff mode from Muller and the whole team. No excuses.

Closed Thread