HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unchainedshot. The Epic Ragequit

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Got a call today from the prospective employer, the manager of the site. He was touching base with me to let me know they were still working on getting the position approved, and apologized for the long delay.

Then, he basically asked me if I would be interested in the next position up from what I interviewed for. He thinks I'd be a perfect fit for it. I said yes, and he's going to have someone get in touch with me next week.

One question I have for you guys: This new position is a 6 month contract to hire. Contract would be directly with the company, not through an agency or anything.

Have any of you ever done something like that? If so, what kind of pros and cons am I looking at?

(Also, LOL at getting promoted before being hired. :p )
Ask the chances of permanent hire after the contract is over. It really depends on why they're contracting it to begin with. Some jobs are six months of work and if they have something to do after that, they'll hire you. Other jobs are six months of a break-in period to see if you can actually do the job, and if you can they just hire you for it. From what you described this situation sounds like the latter, which would be pretty safe as long as you're competent and can handle the position. Just need to clarify why they're doing the contract to begin with.

Edit: Just as an example, Microsoft doesn't hire outright for new positions. They almost always go through a six month contract and will then hire you. It's their way of trialing employees to make sure they know what they're doing.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
They generally won't call it "contract to hire" if the plan isn't to hire you. It's just a CYA thing for them, for a few reasons. You suck, work runs out, find someone better.

If you leave, let me know so I can break a bunch of **** for you to fix on your last few days.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Got a call today from the prospective employer, the manager of the site. He was touching base with me to let me know they were still working on getting the position approved, and apologized for the long delay.

Then, he basically asked me if I would be interested in the next position up from what I interviewed for. He thinks I'd be a perfect fit for it. I said yes, and he's going to have someone get in touch with me next week.

One question I have for you guys: This new position is a 6 month contract to hire. Contract would be directly with the company, not through an agency or anything.

Have any of you ever done something like that? If so, what kind of pros and cons am I looking at?

(Also, LOL at getting promoted before being hired. :p )

I too have been looking at various contract work. Seems like temp-to-possibly-maybe-hire-later-sometime is the norm in my "field".

Old
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Or you can be smart about it and say " you can play this game on the ipad BUT, it never EVER leaves this table".

You set it down on the table. They play. The first time they lift it off the table, you take it away for the day. No drinks nearby. And after they washed there hands of grim and oils.

That method works and teaches good lessons.

Too strict? Enjoy your broken ipad sooner or later.
He knocked it off the table onto the floor when he turned around smarty pants. I could also do without the parenting lessons, please.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Afino
The Juice

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Ace can handle himself.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Clock

So then maybe it'll just be Clock's iPad.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
So then maybe it'll just be Clock's iPad.
You could just send it to me though, I won't spill anything on it, but chances are high I drop it.

like it's hot.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
You could just send it to me though, I won't spill anything on it, but chances are high I drop it.

like it's hot.
Dayum, Duds. Respect.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
He knocked it off the table onto the floor when he turned around smarty pants. I could also do without the parenting lessons, please.
You took that completely wrong. Sorry I even mentioned it.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

So my son's birthday present got delivered today. It's an electric bass that he wanted. He already plays the double bass at school and is starting to do some electric bass stuff at school for jazz band concert at the end of the school year.

He really wanted one of his own so he got to pick one out for his birthday. We went with a decent starter model to see if he takes to it or not before getting something higher end.

I want to get him lessons (1 to 2 a week). Does anyone know a good place in the Ken-Ton/North Buffalo area that does lessons for bass and is good with the teaching kids?

I know there is Paramount on Brighton and Boulevard music lessons on NFB but know little about both and would love any in put people have on them or any other places?

Old
02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Don't apologize. Parents can be sensitive and or defensive sometimes

Fwiw, I agree with you.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:07 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
So my son's birthday present got delivered today. It's an electric bass that he wanted. He already plays the double bass at school and is starting to do some electric bass stuff at school for jazz band concert at the end of the school year.

He really wanted one of his own so he got to pick one out for his birthday. We went with a decent starter model to see if he takes to it or not before getting something higher end.

I want to get him lessons (1 to 2 a week). Does anyone know a good place in the Ken-Ton/North Buffalo area that does lessons for bass and is good with the teaching kids?

I know there is Paramount on Brighton and Boulevard music lessons on NFB but know little about both and would love any in put people have on them or any other places?
Speaking of parenting, this guy is easily the best parent I know. No question.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Thank you, thank you. I try.

You do a damn good job as well with much more difficult circumstances.

-----------

We need to do dinner again soon.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
All the other parents who know you are pissed at you now...

Old
02-22-2013, 10:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

The thread title sounds like a real personal medical problem

Old
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Thanks for the mental image.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Sorry, but the implication seemed to be that I wasn't being smart enough or strict enough since my kid broke my ipad.

Honestly I wasn't smart enough since I should have had it in a protective case even though I was very careful about how and when I let him use it. Kids are clumsy.

I'm just trying to muddle through with my kids and I don't think anyone likes being told that they are doing substandard parenting. I think my kids are turning out ok.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Dayum, Duds. Respect.
Used all my street cred on this one.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post

I have a good guitar teacher if you're willing to go the extra mile(s)

Old
02-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Brass Bancroft

Get the kid a LeapPad.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

So, in my efforts to avoid being a help-desk guy for the rest of my life, I'm curious in taking some courses/lessons in database management (SQL, .Net and so forth) and also JavaScript/etc

Anybody know of anything in the local area that offers courses/certifications for this sort of stuff? Or any online resources? I don't want something like code-academy, I'm looking for something with an actual teacher that I can interact with.

I'm willing to pay, but I'm not looking for another degree. Any ideas/suggestions?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
So, in my efforts to avoid being a help-desk guy for the rest of my life, I'm curious in taking some courses/lessons in database management (SQL, .Net and so forth) and also JavaScript/etc

Anybody know of anything in the local area that offers courses/certifications for this sort of stuff? Or any online resources? I don't want something like code-academy, I'm looking for something with an actual teacher that I can interact with.

I'm willing to pay, but I'm not looking for another degree. Any ideas/suggestions?
If it's Microsoft, they have all of their own certifications. They're usually just one exam per certification, but you can combine a bunch of them into a premier certification. In your case, you'd be looking at getting an MCSD.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ification.aspx

As for learning the actual technology, you can do a boot camp or classroom training for them, but they're stupidly expensive. Unless you can get a company to pay for it, you're better off doing self-study and then just taking the exams. That's what most people do, and it's what I did for all of my certs.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
If it's Microsoft, they have all of their own certifications. They're usually just one exam per certification, but you can combine a bunch of them into a premier certification. In your case, you'd be looking at getting an MCSD.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ification.aspx

As for learning the actual technology, you can do a boot camp or classroom training for them, but they're stupidly expensive. Unless you can get a company to pay for it, you're better off doing self-study and then just taking the exams. That's what most people do, and it's what I did for all of my certs.
Hmm. I guess maybe my best option is to purchase a book and then hire a freelance tutor? I can't do online stuff that well unless I'm being engaged by somebody, I just get distracted way too easily.

Might have to post something in ****** and see if I get any bites.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Season 6 of Burn Notice, by far the best of any of the precious seasons.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:02 PM
vcv
Deal with it

So apparently none of the local stored have the Surface Pro in stock so I could even see if they have one to play with.

My wife's friend is going to let me try out her Surface RT at least.

Closed Thread