HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Saad

Old
02-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Chelios

vCash: 500
The thing that impresses me so much about Saad is how he creates for himself. It would be easy to look at the guys he is playing with and say "of course he looks good out there, (insert crappy player) would look good playing with Toews and Hossa". But so many of his chances have been produced simply by using his speed and strength to blow by defenders off the rush.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:10 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yeah, Saad has an extra gear, I call it a turbo because he'll be coming straight in on a defender or even two, then just quickly speeds up for a couple strides and he's already behind the defense, very impressive.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

I've noticed his speed too. Interesting thing is, though, that I didn't think he was that fast watching him play in person. He always read the play well and put himself into a great position. However, he just blows by defenders 2-3 times a game, and is strong enough to push through checks. The Hossa comparison isn't far off, and I made mention of that a couple of weeks ago.

There's not much to not like about him right now. Regardless of how he got here, I'm just liking the fact that he is here.

pvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:18 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
His speed isn't drawing penalties, its all effort and willingness to go to the tough areas.

Very impressed with his game. Him wearing 43 - I think? - after he got drafted says it all.
Yep. I don't know if the Hawks had anything to do with that or if he simply picked that number but I remember thinking back then that he was making somewhat of a statement with that number. He was going to prove he was better than 43rd overall. Still has a ways to go yet at the NHL level (in terms of production), but he's well on his way.

Saad just gets "it". He works hard, plays a 200 ft. game and it's not one of those things where a rookie comes up and plays anyway the coaches want him to, in order to keep a spot on the roster - this is just how Saad plays. He's always been a polished two-way forward, who worked hard and got to the net.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
His speed isn't drawing penalties, its all effort and willingness to go to the tough areas.

Very impressed with his game. Him wearing 43 - I think? - after he got drafted says it all.
Yup.

Stalberg skates much faster than Saad, and is even bigger than Saad, but doesn't draw as many penalties because he doesn't push forward with the same effort and willpower that #20 does.

And that's not a knock on Stalberg. Not many players in the league have that kind of motor.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-14-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Good catch, Hoss
Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:55 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevanston View Post
yup.

Stalberg skates much faster than saad, and is even bigger than saad, but doesn't draw as many penalties because he doesn't push forward with the same effort and willpower that #43 does.

And that's not a knock on stalberg. Not many players in the league have that kind of motor.
#20.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
#20.
Whoops, brainfart.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
LandofLincoln*

I wanted Jurko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
#18 McNeill
#26 Danault
#36 Clendening
#43 Saad

Still wonder why Bowman waited that long to pick Saad. He was a guy that was falling deeper than many thought. At #36 I wouldn't have waited any longer
I was mad we took Danault at #26... I thought Stan went conservative at the time, just wanted a safe pick by taking Danault that high.

A few days after the draft I was mad that we didn't have the following.
#18 McNeill
#26 Tomas Jurko
#36 Clendening
#43 Saad

Then I just figured Saad should have been chosen at #26 and Danault chosen at #43 but looking back on it..... Bowman did well on all 4 picks. McNeill might have the lowest ceiling. I think Stan picked 4 NHL players in that draft.

LandofLincoln* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Blue Liner

One of the things that most impresses me about him is not only that he has the ability but the willingness to use that extra gear when entering the offensive on the outside along the boards. I've seen a number of times him hitting that area between the blue and the top of the circles and just springing that extra gear to get positioning on that d-man and driving the net. Nothing but good things happen when you do that, be it a quality scoring chance or drawing a penalty or just causing havoc with the puck around the crease/low slot area around the net. A lot of guys either don't have the skill set and/or the willingness to drive to the net from out there. He has that skill set and isn't afraid to use it. I love it.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:08 PM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
I was mad we took Danault at #26... I thought Stan went conservative at the time, just wanted a safe pick by taking Danault that high.

A few days after the draft I was mad that we didn't have the following.
#18 McNeill
#26 Tomas Jurko
#36 Clendening
#43 Saad

Then I just figured Saad should have been chosen at #26 and Danault chosen at #43 but looking back on it..... Bowman did well on all 4 picks. McNeill might have the lowest ceiling. I think Stan picked 4 NHL players in that draft.
Do you think Danault would have lasted until 43 ?

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

somehow, yes I think Danault was a reach and would have been available at 43 and 36 for sure. Looks like I was wrong with my thinking and Bowman made the pick

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:23 PM
LandofLincoln*

Quote:
somehow, yes I think Danault was a reach and would have been available at 43 and 36 for sure. Looks like I was wrong with my thinking and Bowman made the pick
Yeah I think Danault was somewhere in the 40-45 range. Would he have been available at 43? 50/50 chance and he would have been there at 36 easily.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:27 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Looks like PA has recently become somewhat of a hotbed for prospects. Not only that but a majority are huge pro sized.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:16 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

^Hockey instead of football???

pvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

No kidding. PA has been historically known for producing NFL talent. Great to see their youth system producing NHL talent now. Kids coming out of the PA youth system are big too. Saad, Johns...Gibson. Event the ones not born in PA but playing in their youth programs like Merrill and JT Thomas.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Yeah I think Danault was somewhere in the 40-45 range. Would he have been available at 43? 50/50 chance and he would have been there at 36 easily.
The fact that Chicago took Danault at #26 proves that there was no guarantee he would be there at #36. All it would have taken was one team liking him and then he'd be gone, like the Blackhawks liked him and took him.

At the time, I wasn't a big fan of the pick. But in hindsight, it looks like a very solid pick. The only player taken after him that I'd take over him in that spot in hindsight is Saad, but Chicago got Saad too so it doesn't matter.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:41 PM
LandofLincoln*

Quote:
The fact that Chicago took Danault at #26 proves that there was no guarantee he would be there at #36. All it would have taken was one team liking him and then he'd be gone, like the Blackhawks liked him and took him.

At the time, I wasn't a big fan of the pick. But in hindsight, it looks like a very solid pick. The only player taken after him that I'd take over him in that spot in hindsight is Saad, but Chicago got Saad too so it doesn't matter.
It was a solid draft. Danault has done well. I think Danault may even be ahead of McNeill now in depth and readiness. Stan did well.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Looks like PA has recently become somewhat of a hotbed for prospects. Not only that but a majority are huge pro sized.
Jimmy Lodge is the next stud to come out of the PA factory for this June.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Aren't J.T Miller and Vincent Trocheck also from PA? Lots of talent.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
KanetoToews2883

Quote:
I don't think he would've been available at 43... Danault is exactly what the Hawks need too, a defensive minded W that is a leader on the ice. He's what Michael Frolik should've been when we got him from Florida. Not that Frolik has been bad this year, in fact, he and Kruger have been pretty impressive on the PK and have been one of the biggest causes for the resurgence of that unit.

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The funny thing is that PA, especially western PA, produced little to nothing up until recently.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Aren't J.T Miller and Vincent Trocheck also from PA? Lots of talent.
Correct.

Big fan of Trocheck as he is such a tireless worker. Tallon landed a stud in that kid. I am a fan of the OHL and it seems most of the top talents from the PA and OH areas are heading there now.

Cole Cassels from the OH area as well as Connor Murphy.

If PA and Ohio start producing players like this year in and year out, the future for the US will be very bright.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanetoToews2883 View Post
I don't think he would've been available at 43... Danault is exactly what the Hawks need too, a defensive minded W that is a leader on the ice. He's what Michael Frolik should've been when we got him from Florida. Not that Frolik has been bad this year, in fact, he and Kruger have been pretty impressive on the PK and have been one of the biggest causes for the resurgence of that unit.
I expected/hoped that Michael Frolik would be a top-6 player for Chicago. Not a bottom-6, defensive minded winger - which is what he's become.

I would think that alot of Chicago fans expected that Frolik could rebound nicely in Chicago and regain his 20G, 40Pt+ form he showed in his first two NHL seasons.. at least, when he was first acquired.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Blue Liner

http://pittsburghpenguinselite.point...ge/boys-alumni

This I just one Pittsburgh youth program (one of the best in the state as a whole). Impressive list.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Jimmy Lodge is the next stud to come out of the PA factory for this June.
Solid numbers... and 6'2" center. Saginaw Spirit, Saad and Trochecks former team.

Whats his ranking? Id definately draft him with the 4th rd pick since the Hawks dont have a 2nd or 3rd. Doubt he lasts past the 3rd rd.