HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 12:41 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
People don't like crowd noise, so they should just stay at home? If someone pays 500$ for a pair of tickets and wants to concentrate on the game without having some loud ass fan scream his ass off for 3 hours, he or she deserves the right to do so. Nobody's night is ruined if there aren't any loud mouths who don't shut up, but a couple of peoples' nights might be ruined if somebody is being too loud for everyone to enjoy the game.

I am not saying there shouldn't be any noise in the game, but screaming and yapping at players is extremely disruptive to the people around you.

As for me, I've always preferred staying at home to going to the arena. I like the peace and quietness that allows me to focus on the game.
Are you kidding me?!

He has every right to cheer his ass off, just as you have every right to sit in silence. If you're not prepared to put up with people cheering for their team, then stay home. I assure, the cheering fan has no problem with you sitting in silence.

Is this a joke we're having now? Are people actually like this in Vancouver?

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I'm there to enjoy the game, not shout and sing like a crazy person.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who voted for the first option in the poll.
Quote:
People don't like crowd noise, so they should just stay at home? If someone pays 500$ for a pair of tickets and wants to concentrate on the game without having some loud ass fan scream his ass off for 3 hours, he or she deserves the right to do so. Nobody's night is ruined if there aren't any loud mouths who don't shut up, but a couple of peoples' nights might be ruined if somebody is being too loud for everyone to enjoy the game.

I am not saying there shouldn't be any noise in the game, but screaming and yapping at players is extremely disruptive to the people around you.

As for me, I've always preferred staying at home to going to the arena. I like the peace and quietness that allows me to focus on the game.
Solidarity!

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

I think we found out why the crowd sucks in Vancouver...

That's sad gents, I'm not going to lie. I suggest you pay a visit to the prairies and see what a home crowd should be like. Rider fans and Jets fans make for proper crowds. This nonsense about watching in silence makes for a pathetic crowd. I mean, I'm a Canucks fan but I'll be the first (of many) to say that we have one of the worst crowds in the league. And it's because of that pompous attitude of not wanting people to make noise.

**** your peace and quiet.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:49 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

w-w-wat

If you go to an arena to watch a game you can reasonably expect that other people will react loudly to the events that are happening on the ice. Why? Because you're in a sports entertainment venue along with 20,000 other people. If you didn't pay for seats in a "peaceful and quiet" section, then noise IS the norm. It's like going to an EDM concert then complaining there are people screaming besides you.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Rider fans are the worst. They're the drunkest, most obnoxious, vulgar and in-your-face hillbilly jerks and are way worse than any other visiting CFL fans. I'm glad the Lions - for the most part, anyway, given their attendance is mostly comprised of the bridge-and-tunnel crowd like myself, so there are occasional rowdies - don't have fans like them.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
Are you kidding me?!

He has every right to cheer his ass off, just as you have every right to sit in silence. If you're not prepared to put up with people cheering for their team, then stay home. I assure, the cheering fan has no problem with you sitting in silence.

Is this a joke we're having now? Are people actually like this in Vancouver?
Like most arguments, I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle. I don't disagree with the point you are making, however there seems to be posters on this forum that are not only have a problem with fans not cheering at the game, but also seem to be offended by someone sitting in silence.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:

That's sad gents, I'm not going to lie. I suggest you pay a visit to the prairies and see what a home crowd should be like. Rider fans and Jets fans make for proper crowds. This nonsense about watching in silence makes for a pathetic crowd. I mean, I'm a Canucks fan but I'll be the first (of many) to say that we have one of the worst crowds in the league. And it's because of that pompous attitude of not wanting people to make noise.

Why visit the prairies if Rogers arena is already too quiet? And how is not wanting people to make noise a pompous attitude? It's a preference and nothing else.

**** your obnoxious cheerful enthusiasm. Go cheer for the Leafs if it bothers you so much!

Okay, I'm just being argumentative because of how dismissive and hateful your post was. In reality, I FEEL that way but don't act on it-- because it makes for a worse crowd atmosphere for the team (which is bad enough without me) and when I goto games, I feel peer pressure to play up the fake verbal enthusiasm when I really don't want to-- As a result, I avoid going to games live and just watch games at home. I think it's a complete shame that fans who feel that way should feel obligated to do this rather than watch a game live the way they'd like to, but I don't think it's possible for there to be a healthy compromise there.

All I'd say is that I relate to the "keep quiet" guys, though. I really really do-- and I think people who have the attitude about it that you do are awful, personally.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:14 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

I'd like to hear the input of the players on this matter.

That would end all discussion in a hurry, I assure you.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I'd like to hear the input of the players on this matter.

That would end all discussion in a hurry, I assure you.
It obviously doesn't put an end to it. Everyone is aware that louder is better for the players and the league on a practical level.

But preference is preference-- no sense in lying about it or attacking people for not wanting to go along with what is beneficial for the players on a practical level.

There's really nothing you can do about it either way, though, nor should there be. Just live with the fan atmosphere that we have, or make it your mission to overpower everyone else with your noise. It's that simple. Everyone on the other side of the fence is just being honest despite acknowledging that the crowd sucks aesthetically.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:18 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Yes, that's fine. If you prefer to watch a game in silence, sit at home with the TV on mute. Don't go to a game, where other fans would reasonably prefer to cheer there ***** off.

I'm sorry, are we missing something here?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Cheer at games if u like. Just don't think others are obligated to.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Shareefruck

^ That's all there is to it.
Quote:
Yes, that's fine. If you prefer to watch a game in silence, sit at home with the TV on mute. Don't go to a game, where other fans would reasonably prefer to cheer there ***** off.

I'm sorry, are we missing something here?
I don't know why it makes you ANGRY that people feel that way, personally-- pretty childish isn't it? Nobody's doing anything that should distract you from what you'd like to do.

Both viewpoints are reasonable-- The only viewpoint I think is stupid is yours, where you angrily dismiss and attack everyone who dislikes the feel of dealing with loud obnoxious fans and tell them they're pathetic fans for feeling that way.

And honestly, if someone wants to goto the game and be quiet, keeping the atmosphere from being as good as it could be, it isn't ideal, but it's stupid to say "Don't do it" so definitively.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:22 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Of course, that's only reasonable. What's not reasonable is telling fans who are making a lot of noise to "quiet down". The fact that people are actually defending this action and citing "personal preference" as the authority with which to do so is ironic and idiotic. And it explains an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:24 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

Both viewpoints are reasonable-- The only viewpoint I think is stupid is yours, where you angrily dismiss and attack everyone who dislikes the feel of dealing with loud obnoxious fans and tell them they're pathetic.
Sensationalism. Check.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Of course, that's only reasonable. What's not reasonable is telling fans who are making a lot of noise to "quiet down". The fact that people are actually defending this action and citing "personal preference" as the authority with which to do so is ironic and idiotic. And it explains an awful lot about Vancouver sports fans.
Strawman argument. Check.

How many fans on the "I like it quiet, personally" side of the argument are legitimately saying that people who cheer should quiet down? Nobody. At most, they're saying that they relate to WANTING them to quiet down, but nobody has stated that it should be a rule or anything besides a selfish desire that you'd have no right to act on. People ARE however saying if you like to be quiet, you shouldn't goto games, which is moronic.

Obviously, getting too obnoxious and acting like a drunken ****** should rightfully be limited, and that's the only regulation/action anyone's defending. You should make that distinction before claiming that people are making any authoritative statements. In this specific example, most guys defending the decision to tell them to behave are saying that they were probably doing more than just cheering, and were probably being TOO obnoxious. Nobody is defending kicking out guys for simply cheering or anything like that.

You're absolutely right that this mentality explains the quietness of the arena to some degree (although I think it has more to do with business guys who legitimately don't care about what's happening on the ice and think they're above it). However, not everyone who prefers quiet should be lumped in with them, and I think it's pretty unfair to jump to that assumption just from some of these posts.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-17-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Sensationalism. Check.
Are you not acting like you have a problem with these people who feel this way and treating it like it's a pathetic fan mentality to have? I'm just reacting to this impression i'm getting from your posts.

I would never consider "preferring peace and quiet" something that would help the team in any way, but we aren't just robot fans whose sole purpose is to help the team win. We're also actual people who want to enjoy the process comfortably and like normal, reasonable people, also have peeves, annoyances, and preferences.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-17-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:46 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
Are you not acting like you have a problem with these people who feel this way and treating it like it's a pathetic fan mentality to have?

I would never consider "preferring peace and quiet" something that would help the team in any way, but we aren't just robot fans whose sole purpose is to help the team win. We're also actual people who want to enjoy the process comfortably and have peeves, annoyances, and preferences. All anyone is doing is being honest about that.

You're putting words in my mouth. I respect someone's preference to remain quiet and I've never said otherwise. I did, however, say that I do not respect people who tell other fans to be quiet--or anyone who defends that action. I also never said that I think these people are pathetic, I said that makes for a pathetic crowd overall in comparison to the vast majority of professional sports teams around the world.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
Shareefruck

^^ this post gave me the impression that you don't respect someone's preference to remain quiet.
Quote:

Everything besides "we have one of the worst crowds in the league", which I think is fair.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-17-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 01:55 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
They aren't obligated to cheer, but neither they should feel the obligation to tell others to stop cheering, screaming (at the events on the ice) and such.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
They aren't obligated to cheer, but neither they should feel the obligation to tell others to stop cheering, screaming (at the events on the ice) and such.
Can someone please point out for me where anyone actually claimed that they should?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:59 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
The problem is that the tickets are going to people who don't deserve them. As a canucks fan this is sickening. corporate bob who doesnt give a **** about the game isnt even enjoying the game and is sleeping.

Its too bad... the crowd can help the team win... the positive energy is contagious...

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:05 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
^^ this post gave me the impression that you don't respect someone's preference to remain quiet.

Everything besides "we have one of the worst crowds in the league", which I think is fair.
I don't agree with it, but I respect it. I'm not going to go around telling people to cheer. They can do whatever they want.

Perhaps I was a little abrasive with "**** your peace and quiet", but it's true. If someone has a problem with me cheering at a live sporting event, then that's their problem, not mine.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I don't agree with it, but I respect it. I'm not going to go around telling people to cheer. They can do whatever they want.

Perhaps I was a little abrasive with "**** your peace and quiet", but it's true. If someone has a problem with me cheering at a live sporting event, then that's their problem, not mine.
I would agree if that were actually the case, but is it? The impression I get from people describing how they like it quiet is that they're just describing their problem rather than telling you that it should be your problem as well. I don't think anyone is telling you that you shouldn't cheer-- that's obviously ludicrous.

My viewpoint is that I find a good chunk of the people who do cheer annoying because of the manner in which they do it-- obviously not the act of cheering itself. But like you said, that annoyance is just something that is, and nothing should actually be done about it.

Also, whether you meant it that way or not, I think it's fair to say that using phrases like "sad", "pathetic", and "**** your peace and quiet" to address this type of fan is alot closer to disrespect than simple disagreement. Wouldn't you? I know you partially took back the last comment, but you must understand why I would take it that way.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-17-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:24 AM
the beat
cursum perficio

Quote:
I would agree if that were actually the case, but is it? The impression I get from people describing how they like it quiet is that they're just describing their problem rather than telling you that it should be your problem as well. I don't think anyone is telling you that you shouldn't cheer-- that's obviously ludicrous.

My viewpoint is that I find a good chunk of the people who do cheer annoying because of the manner in which they do it-- obviously not the act of cheering itself. But like you said, that annoyance is just something that is, and nothing should be done about it.
That's fine, but earlier you agreed with someone saying that if someone goes to a game they should have the right to watch it in silence. And that's simply not going to happen unless we're siding with the gestapo security that tells people to sit down and shut up.

I would rather get thrown out of a game than stop cheering at the demand of "security". If there's any anger in any of my posts, it would be to that. The thought of those minimum wage rent-a-cops telling me how not to express my enjoyment of an event I played good money to attend boils my blood. Thankfully I'm from Saskatchewan, where it's not against the law to make noise at a game.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:30 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Woohoo! We're now just an inch away from Godwin's Law!
Well 3 pages actually.

Quote:
That's fine, but earlier you agreed with someone saying that if someone goes to a game they should have the right to watch it in silence. And that's simply not going to happen unless we're siding with the gestapo security that tells people to sit down and shut up.

I would rather get thrown out of a game than stop cheering at the demand of "security". If there's any anger in any of my posts, it would be to that. The thought of those minimum wage rent-a-cops telling me how not to express my enjoyment of an event I played good money to attend boils my blood. Thankfully I'm from Saskatchewan, where it's not against the law to make noise at a game.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote