HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  #401
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
To clarify, I LOVE noise, excitement, passion, and energy. All are capable of making the game far more memorable, and getting fans more invested.
BUT, as a poster said, it has to be reactionary. It needs to reflect a big hit, great goal, or amazing save. I loathe the prompted "Let's Make Some Nnnnnooooooisssse!" Crap they show on the screen. Give me a reason first.
I don't care much for the Southsiders, because I think they're trying to apply something to hockey that just doesn't fit. Maybe the Rogers staff overreacted to them, but I suspect they were more distracting than motivating as far as a hockey experience goes.
Fake accents? I don't know. I made that up. Lol! It just seems to me that soccer fans at a hockey game is like yoga clothes in Pamplona. Is it wrong? Not necessarily. Is it necessary? No.
As far as soccer goes, I wouldn't go to a game where the players walk for long stretches, so I am admittedly biased.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
  #402
JBIZ14
Registered User
 
JBIZ14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Owww your Dads English..case closed. Reactionary in Europe you say? You do know that there are Southsiders from Europe...guess they didn't get the "how things are done in Europe" memo from home.

Sit/watch and Support shouldn't be used together.

To me showing up and sitting quietly makes you a consumer...not a supporter.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  #403
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
  #404
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
That's a fair point. Consumer? I want to support if I'm at a Canucks game, but give me something TO support. Not "Cotton Eyed Joe" on the speakers, Ebbett getting 20 minutes of ice time, AV chewing his gum as Henrik gets mauled.
Maybe it IS a cultural thing, or just that in my 43 years of watching there haven't been many editions of the Canucks to get excited about.
It seems like this thread is half about fan experience at a hockey game, half about soccer fans, and I don't understand the latter enough to have a valid opinion.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
  #405
Just another pawn
Registered User
 
Just another pawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Owww your Dads English..case closed. Reactionary in Europe you say? You do know that there are Southsiders from Europe...guess they didn't get the "how things are done in Europe" memo from home.

Sit/watch and Support shouldn't be used together.

To me showing up and sitting quietly makes you a consumer...not a supporter.
Which is the point. The Canucks are a business, a successful business (that has been effective in branding and marketing their product/franchise) which solely cares about the consumers, and not just the supporters. Likewise, the spectators (consumers) solely care about being entertained.

Just another pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
  #406
JBIZ14
Registered User
 
JBIZ14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
Which is the point. The Canucks are a business, a successful business (that has been effective in branding and marketing their product/franchise) which solely cares about the consumers, and not just the supporters. Likewise, the spectators (consumers) solely care about being entertained.
Which is fine until they aren't entertained...it's thinking like that that leads to the huge bandwagon in the fanbase...ignoring the supporter to cater to the wealthy consumer is great for business when you're winning...what is going to happen if this club goes on a 5 year playoff drought?

The recent success of this franchise in general has made people delusional when it comes to the overall strength of the product.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:35 PM
  #407
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 500
i dunno about you dudes but on the rare occasion i have the fortune required to go to a game and i manage to get tickets, i'm much more interested in examining the play cameras/networks usually miss rather than making completely irrelevant noise

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
  #408
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Owww your Dads English..case closed. Reactionary in Europe you say? You do know that there are Southsiders from Europe...guess they didn't get the "how things are done in Europe" memo from home.

Sit/watch and Support shouldn't be used together.

To me showing up and sitting quietly makes you a consumer...not a supporter.
You do understand that not every supporter has to cheer as loud as they can for the enter game.

People are allowed to go with the ebs and flows of the game, get excited when there's a chance or nice play and pissed off when the team screws up.

The fact that people go to the game, spend their hard earned money, and cheer when they want to means they are a supporter.

If you don't like it then fine. Just don't act like there is only one way to support a team.


Last edited by Just A Bit Outside: 03-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
  #409
nuxhead
Registered User
 
nuxhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
There's a reason why Vancouver is known as "no-fun" city.

nuxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
  #410
Just another pawn
Registered User
 
Just another pawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Which is fine until they aren't entertained...it's thinking like that that leads to the huge bandwagon in the fanbase...ignoring the supporter to cater to the wealthy consumer is great for business when you're winning...what is going to happen if this club goes on a 5 year playoff drought?

The recent success of this franchise in general has made people delusional when it comes to the overall strength of the product.
Then you get a period akin to the late 90's when attendance dips below 10k, and the franchise has to go balls out to attract the real fans through insane promotions (ie. 80$ family nights- 4 tickets, 2 happy meals).

Make no mistake, I agree with you. Most of the fans at these games are casual spectators (bandwagoners), and they will flee once the product deteriorates (to an unbearable level), and the overall popularity of brand (Canucks) loses it's aura.

Just another pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
  #411
*Injektilo
Registered User
 
*Injektilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: France
Posts: 11,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtherunner View Post
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?
That was my point, but apparently some posters actually welcome that notion.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:13 AM
  #412
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Two different questions in this thread. NO WAY should the Southsiders be treated any differently than anyone else. UNLESS their behaviour warrants it.

Second question is more about individual preference regarding noise levels.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:15 AM
  #413
Free Kassian
Registered User
 
Free Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxhead View Post
There's a reason why Vancouver is known as "no-fun" city.
A bunch of drunk obnoxious soccer fans getting the stink-eye from one-percenters isn't why.

Free Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
  #414
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtherunner View Post
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?
Don't you think it's weird that, instead of going to Canucks games like normal people, they feel the need to go as "Southsiders", and let everyone know beforehand that they, a bunch of soccer fans, will be going to a hockey game. Like seriously? Why the need for all the special attention?

Imagine if a bunch of "Canucks fans" went to a Whitacaps game, told everyone within earshot that they were hockey fans at a soccer game, and tried their best to be louder and drunker than everyone else around them. People would think hockey fans are a bunch of idiots.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:27 AM
  #415
Free Kassian
Registered User
 
Free Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Don't you think it's weird that, instead of going to a Canucks game like a normal people, they feel the need to go as "Southsiders", and let everyone know beforehand that they, a bunch of soccer fans, will be going to a hockey game. Like seriously? Why the need for all the special attention?

Imagine if a bunch of "Canucks fans" went to a Whitacaps game, told everyone within earshot that they were hockey fans at a soccer game, and tried their best to be louder and drunker than everyone else around them. People would think hockey fans are a bunch of idiots.

Free Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:35 AM
  #416
JBIZ14
Registered User
 
JBIZ14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
The bus driver they use for the away travel got a block of tickets and thought it would be something fun to do...nobody informed anyone about this and they were told to sit down despite being at the very top of the arena.

The same person had another block of tickets and decided to give it another try...the Southsiders contacted the Canucks and forewarned them in hopes of being able to stand and chant. The Canucks told them not only could they not stand but they would prefer that they kept the chanting to stoppages in play. The message was given to the Southsiders going and they went and all was fine.

Also remember that Just because someone is a Southsider does not mean they are not a Canucks fan...a large group of them are....which is why they spent money to see the game.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
  #417
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtherunner View Post
Aside from whether one likes the Southsiders or not, isn't it problematic that they are being treated differently from others at games?
Of course not. You treat people in accordance to behavior, and the Southsiders objective is organized to behave in a certain way or influence others to behave in a certain way. Regardless of whether or not that behavior is harmless, there is no reason that they or anyone else who behaves in a certain way should be uniformly treated the same way as people who don't. If they act differently they should be treated differently.

If they've organized something and make a point to represent themselves as something, the way they should be treated should be in accordance to that representation.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-20-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
  #418
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
The bus driver they use for the away travel got a block of tickets and thought it would be something fun to do...nobody informed anyone about this and they were told to sit down despite being at the very top of the arena.

The same person had another block of tickets and decided to give it another try...the Southsiders contacted the Canucks and forewarned them in hopes of being able to stand and chant. The Canucks told them not only could they not stand but they would prefer that they kept the chanting to stoppages in play. The message was given to the Southsiders going and they went and all was fine.

Also remember that Just because someone is a Southsider does not mean they are not a Canucks fan...a large group of them are....which is why they spent money to see the game.
What kind of people have to phone the Canucks organization ahead of time and warn them that they'll be showing up at a game? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Why not just buy tickets like normal people? Go and enjoy the game like a normal person.
If someone has to tell you when or when not to stand and chant, then I'm sorry, but there's something serious IQ issues going on here. Even little kids know what to do at a hockey game.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
  #419
ARSix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Honestly if we could have an entire arena full of these guys I'd be for it. There is a reason that Rogers is a godawful home rink atmosphere and it's reflected in this thread. Anyone who makes the rink more like the MTS is welcome.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:18 PM
  #420
JBIZ14
Registered User
 
JBIZ14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
What kind of people have to phone the Canucks organization ahead of time and warn them that they'll be showing up at a game? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Why not just buy tickets like normal people? Go and enjoy the game like a normal person.
If someone has to tell you when or when not to stand and chant, then I'm sorry, but there's something serious IQ issues going on here. Even little kids know what to do at a hockey game.
I dont know if you're trolling or just ignorant but I'll assume the later.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 PM
  #421
nucks88
Registered User
 
nucks88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 546
vCash: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxhead View Post
There's a reason why Vancouver is known as "no-fun" city.
Yeah just about everything that was fun has been cancelled due to a bunch of arrested developed drunks fckuing everything up for everyone else. Sea Festival, Nanaimo-Vancouver Bathtub race, Sand Castle Championship...and let's not forget about a couple of riots thrown in!

Funny how most cities can handle their booze-our youth are too punkish.

nucks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
  #422
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks88 View Post
...Nanaimo-Vancouver Bathtub race...
Real shame, that was a classic.

Quote:
our youth are too punkish.
I don't see it that way - kids are kids everywhere. IMO "we" the authorities just don't want to do the dirty work of dealing with them properly, so we de-confrontation by cancelling the events.

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:07 PM
  #423
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 46,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i dunno about you dudes but on the rare occasion i have the fortune required to go to a game and i manage to get tickets, i'm much more interested in examining the play cameras/networks usually miss rather than making completely irrelevant noise
this, imo there are more appropriate times during a game to be excessively loud then all of the time, I like to enjoy the play and cheer when something happens

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
  #424
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Real shame, that was a classic.



I don't see it that way - kids are kids everywhere. IMO "we" the authorities just don't want to do the dirty work of dealing with them properly, so we de-confrontation by cancelling the events.
This. Instead of coming up with proactive measures and studying the psychology of crowds, Vancouver uses reactive measures, which never ever works anywhere.
If you establish a presence BEFORE something goes awry, you can manage just about anything.
New York can have concerts in the park, because there are police everywhere. They're smiling and friendly, and THERE. It's expensive, but a lot cheaper than riots.
The unknown factor is always always always alcohol.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
  #425
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
If you want to "watch" you can do that at home...people should be in that building to make noise and encourage the team...Canucks fans are doing it wrong.

Soccer is a continual build up...if you dont get it thats fine but dont argue from ignorance.
If you have money to buy a ticket, you have a right to watch it quietly if you want in the arena.

You say "Canucks fans are doing it wrong" and use arguing from ignorance in the same post. Interesting.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.