HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
  #201
Bieksallent
Registered User
 
Bieksallent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
The best crowds this City had were in the early 2000s when the team was on the rise and scrapped to make the playoffs under Crawford.
Were tickets all that expensive or were they still relatively cheap after the disastrous Keenan period? I think ticket pricing is the biggest reason the Canucks have lost any sort of atmosphere at games. Just look at Toronto. Very sad.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  #202
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Were tickets all that expensive or were they still relatively cheap after the disastrous Keenan period? I think ticket pricing is the biggest reason the Canucks have lost any sort of atmosphere at games. Just look at Toronto. Very sad.
Ticket prices were not bad. They didn't start selling out every game until 2003?

I had an 11 game Ice pak in 2003-2004 and the tickets were 33 bucks a game in the corner in the offensive zone upper bowl.Very.reasonable.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
  #203
Karl Hungus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Absolutely. It's fake, too. Cheering should be natural, the way you're describing. Make noise when something incites you to make a noise

There's got to be an honest middle ground. I don't like mindless screaming either but the fans should be engaged in the game. For most people the only thing that incites them to make noise is a goal, or maybe a once a period even like a hit. It's frankly depressing when the Canucks score and I jump out of my seat, and the guy next to me just sits there expressionless, like he's being assaulted by all the excitement swirling around him. It's not the opera.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
  #204
Haka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Take from this what you will, but I ran into a number of family members of Canuck players last year. They told me absolutely that the players notice how quiet Rogers is, especially compared to other arenas. Nashville being the notable comparison.

It's a major let down for them, where the crowd only cheers goals/results and never gets behind the team to try and pump them up. I paraphrase, but basically I was told that the players usually feel the crowd's nervousness and anxiety.

I was at game 7 in 2011, it was quiet from start to finish until Bettman came out. Game 5 last year was awful too (my first lower bowl game, I'll never sit down there again).

And those of you that claim they don't like to cheer because they like to "watch the game / play develop", are either really overestimating the complexity of these cheers or clearly have vision issues. It's really not hard to do both at the same time.

I can understand some hesitation for some of the traditional Southsider chants that have swearing it them, however from what I understand they made every attempt to adapt to a new environment, by "watering down" their chants and taking up only the back rows.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:20 PM
  #205
BloatedGuppy
Registered User
 
BloatedGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
I paraphrase, but basically I was told that the players usually feel the crowd's nervousness and anxiety.
Pretty hard to ask Canucks fans NOT to be nervous and anxious.

OT: I like a loud crowd, but I dislike a belligerent or obnoxious crowd. There's a not-so fine line between "energy" and aggravating drunks. Given we have a history of burning down the city in our peak moments of enthusiasm I don't necessarily trust that we always recognize where that line is.


Last edited by Free Edler: 02-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.
BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  #206
Haka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
It just surprises me how many times Vancouver fans and media shoot themselves in the foot when they should be attempting to help the team if anything. Not cheering, goalie graveyards, idiotic media tendencies...

Not saying we should offer unconditional support, but we sure make it tough on ourselves.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  #207
Haka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
OT: I like a loud crowd, but I dislike a belligerent or obnoxious crowd. There's a not-so fine line between "energy" and aggravating drunks. Given we have a history of burning down the city in our peak moments of enthusiasm I don't necessarily trust that we always recognize where that line is.
Agreed. But if you've ever sat in the Southsiders section at a caps game, they're very well behaved. They might have the odd beer but I don't see any drunks or belligerent behavior. Many of them don't drink. I've never seen a fight or an altercation there, compared to the many I've seen in Canucks stands by the people that are too busy to cheer because they've got all their hands full getting wasted. The leadership of the Southsiders is very image conscious. They also directly work with the team, so there's accountability and trust between them.

I get wasted at games too sometimes (ok most of the time) but I'm not a belligerent person.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:28 PM
  #208
BloatedGuppy
Registered User
 
BloatedGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
Not cheering, goalie graveyards, idiotic media tendencies.
Welcome to Canada. A bunch of knowledgeable, passionate hockey fans is a doubled edged sword. They'll remain fascinated with the team through thick and thin, but they'll also myopically fixate on every flaw, perceived or otherwise, and boo when things don't suit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
Agreed. But if you've ever sat in the Southsiders section at a caps game, they're very well behaved. They might have the odd beer but I don't see any drunks or belligerent behavior. Many of them don't drink. I've never seen a fight or an altercation there, compared to the many I've seen in Canucks stands by the people that are too busy to cheer because they've got all their hands full getting wasted. The leadership of the Southsiders is very image conscious. They also directly work with the team, so there's accountability and trust between them.

I get wasted at games too sometimes (ok most of the time) but I'm not a belligerent person.
I can't speak to the Southsiders specifically, but I remember attending some games where the "energetic" fans were just angry, loud drunks. It all sounds like "noise" on the television set, but when the source of that noise is in your ear it can be a less than pleasant experience.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
  #209
Haka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Welcome to Canada. A bunch of knowledgeable, passionate hockey fans is a doubled edged sword. They'll remain fascinated with the team through thick and thin, but they'll also myopically fixate on every flaw, perceived or otherwise, and boo when things don't suit them.
Actually I disagree with this point. I agree the passion is there, but the knowledge is not. Frankly, I hear a lot of inaccuracies from radio personalities and call in's, during the brief amount that I'm forced to listen to those shows. I think that's why people are so quick to blame goalies, because their lack of understanding points them to the easiest target they can find.

A great deal of people's understanding are from reading the stat line and nothing else. Luongo got scored on? He screwed up. Malhotra's points are down? He's now a bad player.

I wish the fans of this team were a bit less counterproductive, present company excluded.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  #210
BloatedGuppy
Registered User
 
BloatedGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
Actually I disagree with this point. I agree the passion is there, but the knowledge is not. Frankly, I hear a lot of inaccuracies from radio personalities and call in's, during the brief amount that I'm forced to listen to those shows. I think that's why people are so quick to blame goalies, because their lack of understanding points them to the easiest target they can find.

A great deal of people's understanding are from reading the stat line and nothing else. Luongo got scored on? He screwed up. Malhotra's points are down? He's now a bad player.

I wish the fans of this team were a bit less counterproductive, present company excluded.
What you're seeing there is the danger of a little bit of knowledge. A true casual fan isn't the guy suggesting we trade the Sedins for Gaborik or griping about the fact Luongo let in a "softie" when a guy shakes unchecked into the slot. The true casual fan is just cheering for the guys in the Blue Shirts because yay home team.

It takes a special kind of obsessive to hang out on the forums all day discussing Corsi and speculating about the hockey careers of guys who are going to get drafted in 4 years time. Those types aren't the majority ANYWHERE.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
  #211
Wolfhard
Registered User
 
Wolfhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
What you're seeing there is the danger of a little bit of knowledge. A true casual fan isn't the guy suggesting we trade the Sedins for Gaborik or griping about the fact Luongo let in a "softie" when a guy shakes unchecked into the slot. The true casual fan is just cheering for the guys in the Blue Shirts because yay home team.

It takes a special kind of obsessive to hang out on the forums all day discussing Corsi and speculating about the hockey careers of guys who are going to get drafted in 4 years time. Those types aren't the majority ANYWHERE.
Sadly, this is the majority of our fanbase. They like hockey because you're supposed to like hockey. They talk hockey by regurgitating what they hear in the news and what their equally uninformed friends say.
I have a few friends who are "die hard" canuck fans, that will crap on Lu, crap on Schneider, and demand that we trade the sisters, any time the media says they have a bad game.

People may not always agree with my opinions, but at least I form them myself, which is more than I can say about 80+% of "Canuck fans".

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
  #212
The Vengabus
Registered User
 
The Vengabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
That culture comes from a history of "hatred"/tribalism/sectarianism. Something no nearly as prevalent in the relatively young North America.
Ah yes, the infamous Danish/Swedish/Swiss sectarianism!

Every time the subject of soccer comes up anywhere on this board, I begin to get the impression that Canadian hockey fans are as ignorant and backwards as the rest of the world portrays them to be.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:04 PM
  #213
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
Agreed. But if you've ever sat in the Southsiders section at a caps game, they're very well behaved. They might have the odd beer but I don't see any drunks or belligerent behavior. Many of them don't drink. I've never seen a fight or an altercation there, compared to the many I've seen in Canucks stands by the people that are too busy to cheer because they've got all their hands full getting wasted. The leadership of the Southsiders is very image conscious. They also directly work with the team, so there's accountability and trust between them.

I get wasted at games too sometimes (ok most of the time) but I'm not a belligerent person.
So you don't see any drunken behaviour but at the same time you admit to being wasted?!? Really?

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #214
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Ah yes, the infamous Danish/Swedish/Swiss sectarianism!

Every time the subject of soccer comes up anywhere on this board, I begin to get the impression that Canadian hockey fans are as ignorant and backwards as the rest of the world portrays them to be.
My father-in-law who was in the Danish resistance and he didn't have much nice to say about the Swedes. He liked them more than the Germans though.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
  #215
The Vengabus
Registered User
 
The Vengabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
This is why I love the soccer atmosphere! I was watching a Celtic game yesterday, and boy, can the Irish ever sing.

Very disappointed in the Canucks and Rogers Arena. If you want people to "Make Some Noise" (TM), then actually let people MAKE SOME NOISE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
My only question is, what are Irish people doing cheering for a Scottish football team?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
THIS!

Celtic F.C are based in Glasgow, Scotland. Ever heard of the Celtic/Rangers rivalry? Their rivalry (among others) is due to the fact that they both reside in Glasgow with the Celts representing the catholic side & the Rangers being the protestant side. I suggest you look it up.
Well... this is embarrassing.

Quote:
Celtic Football Club was formally constituted at a meeting in St. Mary's church hall in East Rose Street (now Forbes Street), Calton, Glasgow, by Irish Marist Brother Walfrid[6] on 6 November 1887, with the purpose of alleviating poverty in the East End of Glasgow by raising money for the charity Walfrid had instituted, the Poor Children's Dinner Table.[7] Walfrid's move to establish the club as a means of fund-raising was largely inspired by the example of Hibernian who were formed out of the immigrant Irish population a few years earlier in Edinburgh. Walfrid's own suggestion of the name 'Celtic' (pronounced Seltik), was intended to reflect the club's Irish and Scottish roots, and was adopted at the same meeting.
Celtic are a Glasgow-based club formed by Irish migrants to Scotland. They have always been associated with the Irish and the Scots of Irish descent and fall on the Catholic side of the sectarian issues plaguing both Ireland and the Old Firm rivalry.

I mean just look at the colours they play in: Scotland's national colour is blue, Ireland's is green. Which colour does Celtic play in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Bearded , stylish glasses " football" snob who lives on commercial drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
So a rich hipster who likes soccer?
True Canucks fans only come from Surrey and Langley, naturally.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
  #216
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bellingham
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Didn't read all the comments because I have a life and am in Cabo right now ... but can't believe there are 5 pages on whether or not we're good fans or not.

Sigh ....

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  #217
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Didn't read all the comments because I have a life and am in Cabo right now ... but can't believe there are 5 pages on whether or not we're good fans or not.

Sigh ....
Thanks for stopping by. Send pics.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
  #218
Jake
Registered User
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oxford, UK
Country: Denmark
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
It's hockey not soccer. I'm sorry that most of us like to watch the play develop. Soccer is boring, so obviously you can cheer and chant without missing any of the play. What else are you gonna do? Hockey has a lot more going on where we want to watch the play!!
Uh, I usually don't go into discussions, but in this case I will. I'm an European hockey fan whom have watched 20+ seasons of Danish hockey. I've been to five world championships. I've watched games in Sweden, Holland and Germany as well. I've also watched a few live NHL games in Toronto. Now , I know Toronto is not the loudest of crowds, but hear me out. 1000 European fans is louder than what I witnessed there. It's a culture difference. What you associate with soccer is the same culture for hockey fans here. And believe me, you can sing songs, chant your heart out, drink beers AND get all of the game at the same time.

To be perfectly honest, and no offense intended, but I found it hilarious and a bit sad that people were being told to cheer by the jumbotron. That was when they were at the loudest. That was the weirdest thing for me. Here I were, in the holy grail of hockey leagues, and people were so quiet and more passive spectators than supporters. I heard one "chant" those games ("go leafs, go") - that was it. The 7th man seem more important here. But I DO realize it is a different culture.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:37 PM
  #219
The Vengabus
Registered User
 
The Vengabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Y'all best behave around these parts and do things how we do



The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
  #220
linden79
Registered User
 
linden79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 255
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
Take from this what you will, but I ran into a number of family members of Canuck players last year. They told me absolutely that the players notice how quiet Rogers is, especially compared to other arenas. Nashville being the notable comparison.

It's a major let down for them, where the crowd only cheers goals/results and never gets behind the team to try and pump them up. I paraphrase, but basically I was told that the players usually feel the crowd's nervousness and anxiety.

I was at game 7 in 2011, it was quiet from start to finish until Bettman came out. Game 5 last year was awful too (my first lower bowl game, I'll never sit down there again).

And those of you that claim they don't like to cheer because they like to "watch the game / play develop", are either really overestimating the complexity of these cheers or clearly have vision issues. It's really not hard to do both at the same time.

I can understand some hesitation for some of the traditional Southsider chants that have swearing it them, however from what I understand they made every attempt to adapt to a new environment, by "watering down" their chants and taking up only the back rows.
Great post.

I won't pretend that we need to be setting off fireworks, fighting visiting fans and drunkenly cheering all game long, but silence isn't a good alternative.

The attitude in Rogers needs to change.

linden79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
  #221
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
I think fans have become complacent with how good the team has been.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
  #222
the beat
cursum perficio
 
the beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: canmore/sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
I follow Celtic FC from Glasgow, they play in the Scottish Premier League and made it to the last 16 in Champions League this year. They are the only British team to have ultras (what the Southsiders try to be), and when the board (owners essentially) makes decisions like this, the ultras organize boycotts and banner presentations that are seen by millions (on European nights). Because of this organization by numbers, they have great power and the board basically submits to their demands, within reason.

Hockey, and apparently Canucks in particular, is so lame on that front. The fans don't organize in numbers and hence, have no power. We are just dollar signs to ownership, unlike the fans of large football clubs who act as one cohesive unit that holds immense power, both in affecting the players on the pitch with chants and songs, and in a political sense with organized boycotts and motivated banner displays.

I've been a Canucks fan for most of my life, and only Celtic for a couple years, but I already feel more passionately about Celtic because of these reasons. NHL is so empty and corporate and meaningless in a sense because of **** like this. It's the owners fault for stamping out a good initiative like this that is trying to organize something that benefits absolutely everyone, including the players - but it's also the fans faults for kneeling before the owners who stifle the fan experience, and for being a part of the problem which is creating a **** atmosphere for the players. Maybe one day North America will catch up Europe in terms of this. I really hope to see it.


If you'd like to see the potential of what a fan experience can be like, youtube Celtic FC fans, or Dortmund fans and then compare that to the pathetic attempt of a fan experience that we in the NHL, and especially Vancouver create. It's unacceptable and an embarrassment in comparison. For such an exciting sport we sure do treat it like watching grass grow.

end rant

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:23 PM
  #223
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Ah yes, the infamous Danish/Swedish/Swiss sectarianism!

Every time the subject of soccer comes up anywhere on this board, I begin to get the impression that Canadian hockey fans are as ignorant and backwards as the rest of the world portrays them to be.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #224
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden79 View Post
Great post.

I won't pretend that we need to be setting off fireworks, fighting visiting fans and drunkenly cheering all game long, but silence isn't a good alternative.

The attitude in Rogers needs to change.
Then buy season tickets and change it.

Everyone here whining about the crowds has no reason to whine unless they've bought tickets.

The Canucks are a private corporation who host live entertainment. The crowds are paying customers.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
  #225
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipChipperson View Post
Then buy season tickets and change it.

Everyone here whining about the crowds has no reason to whine unless they've bought tickets.

The Canucks are a private corporation who host live entertainment. The crowds are paying customers.
But Chip fans cheering motivates the team. Those season tickets holders have a deep responsibility to all canuck fans.

If the crowd isnt loud the team will lose.

Conversely if the team doesnt win the cup this year its the season ticket holders fault.

Welcome to your new scapegoat.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.