HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst GM in the League?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

vCash: 500
I don't get how Nieuwendyk is an answer either. Very limited budget in Dallas and a lot of young kids playing as a supporting cast

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Joey Moss

I understand why people think Tambellini is terrible but I don't think he gets enough credit. Before the Oilers decided to rebuild he pursued Dany Heatley in trade and Marian Hossa in Free Agency. He offered Chris Neil a 4 year contract until he decided to stay in Ottawa. The 2009 off-season he was extremely active trying to get players.

You don't get good during a re-build, people. It's also not his fault this team has been one of the most injury prone teams in the league the past 5 years or so.

If he gets nothing done this off-season (because now we're at the phase of dishing out contracts to Free Agents and being more aggressive) then you consider firing him.

But for people to say he sits on his ass and does nothing there is clear evidence that is not the case.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

I am on the Tambellini bandwaggon for this one. I get that they are in a rebuilding phase, but has he actually done anything towards that besides throw three seasons? They could have done that much without a GM.

Feaster isnīt really impressing, but he made some good moves too and seems under orders on some of the peculiar ones.

Sather is a bit manic in the FA market, but the worst? Really?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fabs

Tambellini for certain. He may as well just work on draft day and take the rest of the year off. Seems to be about the only time he does anything that improves his team.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Sather is a **** GM. Has been for years.

He;s just lucky he's in an attractive market with money to spend.
Seriously? The past 4 years or so, he has been of the better GM's in the league.

Draft history, trades, and signings all point to that, as well as the product that is on the ice.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I understand why people think Tambellini is terrible but I don't think he gets enough credit. Before the Oilers decided to rebuild he pursued Dany Heatley in trade and Marian Hossa in Free Agency. He offered Chris Neil a 4 year contract until he decided to stay in Ottawa. The 2009 off-season he was extremely active trying to get players.

You don't get good during a re-build, people. It's also not his fault this team has been one of the most injury prone teams in the league the past 5 years or so.

If he gets nothing done this off-season (because now we're at the phase of dishing out contracts to Free Agents and being more aggressive) then you consider firing him.

But for people to say he sits on his ass and does nothing there is clear evidence that is not the case.
I don`t get this clapping GMs on the back for going after and failing to get FAs. Sure sometimes there really isnīt anything they could have done to sign someone, but isnīt that where a GM gets to show his skills? After he did not get all the premier UFAs?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Tambellini doesn't deserve any credit for the group of potentially elite talent that the Oilers now have. While Eberle was a shrewd draft choice, a mentally challenged chimpanzee could have drafted Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov. Had he managed to bring in top-end talent in a different manner then maybe he'd deserve some praise, but acquiring it through winning a draft lottery three years in a row is certainly not anything commendable.
What are you talking about. The correct picks were Seguin, Larsson, and Murray.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Sather is a **** GM. Has been for years.

He;s just lucky he's in an attractive market with money to spend.
Singed
Brad Richards
Marian Gaborik
Martin Biron
Matt Gilroy
Taylor Pyatt
Jeff Halpern
Arron Asham

Total: 7

Acquired via trade, draft, waivers, undrafted
Henrik Lundqvist
Rick Nash
Ryan Callahan
Ryan McDonagh
Dan Girardi
Marc Staal
Michael Del Zotto
Stu Bickel
JT Miller
Carl Hagelin
Derek Stepan
Chris Kreider
Brian Boyle
Steve Eminger
Darroll Powe
Anton Stralman

Total: 16

When will this "Rangers buy the league" nonsense stop?

Sather had a few bad years to start his tenure and kind of got overexcited in signing Drury and Gomez, which was brought on by pressure to win the Cup immediately after Jagr and Lundqvist dragged us to the 2nd round. Redden got pretty much the contract he deserved at the time, and proceeded to come the NY and **** the bed beyond humanity. That wasn't really Sather's fault.

In reality, he's built a very consistent contender here since the lockout largely with drafting and smart trades.

02-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
lol okay

he brought in both great prospects, and actual roster players... you can say what you want to but our future is looking more and more bright each year
Uhm...what great prospects are you actually referring to? Aside from Bart, who exactly is a sure thing in your new young guns?

Your future is horrible....and the present is appalling.....though to be fair, Feaster cannot be blamed for all that......

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Thricecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
how?

i think he's done everything he possibly can right (hes basically tied by the hands by ownership)
Feaster keeps the team as a 9th/10th seed. He hasn't done anything to bring his team to a new level. They're just a mediocre team. Either rebuild, or focus on winning. Just making the playoffs shouldn't be a goal every single year.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Langdon Alger*

The answer is Garth Snow - or, to be more precise, Charles Wang.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Feaster

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Sather was compete trash on NY, team was going nowhere and then Joe Thornton said Rangers were soooffff and then they started playing like bats out of Hell and saved Sather's job.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I don`t get this clapping GMs on the back for going after and failing to get FAs. Sure sometimes there really isnīt anything they could have done to sign someone, but isnīt that where a GM gets to show his skills? After he did not get all the premier UFAs?
He did complete a deal for Heatley, you know? Heatley's the one who didn't accept it.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sather was compete trash on NY, team was going nowhere and then Joe Thornton said Rangers were soooffff and then they started playing like bats out of Hell and saved Sather's job.
Yeah a 50 win season and run to the conference final was built entirely on a postgame comment made by Joe Thornton.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Snow because Wang is the cheapest mother ****er you will ever hear of in your life.

Tambellini because he literally does nothing.
And because you're assuming Wang has Snow on short purse strings, this makes Snow bad?

This is like giving someone $15,000 and asking them to buy a car for you with which you could take on some NASCAR cars....and then blaming them for their poor choice of cars.

I'm trying not to come off as an Islander's apologist and/or fan here, but I don't get the Snow votes. Yes, he's handled two prospects poorly (Baley and Nino) but to base it all on that?

This article is from last summer. When Snow was signed on, he had nothing. Milbury destroyed the Isles. There is one player still on the Isles from the Milbury days. DP. Kyle Okposo was the draft pick of the summer of Neil Smith's 30 days of being GM.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1347

So, a crappy GM put together what could be considered one of the best prospect pools in the NHL?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:37 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
He did complete a deal for Heatley, you know? Heatley's the one who didn't accept it.
That still seems like a weird definition of complete.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Slicknitty
0 to 30th Real Quick

vCash: 391
How is it bashing Edmonton when it's the truth? Screw the "rebuild" excuse, our team has been a shipwreck with its management for a lot longer than the last 3 years. Every year it's the same crap.

I love my team but I hate the management.

Slicknitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Sexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Schultz' contract is an ELC. ELC contracts are very rigid; they have a max salary and for high picks, a bonus structure.

The bonus structure is set in such a way that the only way a player can make money (and we're talking a lot of money - almost $3m in bonuses to less than $1m in salary) is by hitting milestones.

Those milestones include ice time, points, all-star game appearances, and finishing in the top-X of award voting (IIRC, it's top-10? could be wrong on that).

Edmonton, having an awful defense and showing no inhibition to giving rookies a ton of ice time, was far and away Schultz's best chance at earning those bonuses.
I don't think this is the only reason why Schultz signed with EDM.

Sexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

You don't get good very quickly but, you should see improvement. As in 30th,25th,20th etc. Being dead last or second last every year is a great thing in the long run for Oilers fans for a GM its downright embarrassing and incompetent. People liked to crap on Burke while he was in Toronto but if you give Brian anything it's the fact that the guy tried to at least ice a team that would make the playoffs(and clearly failed). The GM has the right do rebuild but to just sit back and watch a train wreck year after year is not his job. Imagine going into work year after year and being the worst employee, that usually doesn't go over well.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Dharvey33

Before he was fired it was gauthier and it was even close.

Worst gm ever with Mike Milbury

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Tambellini took over a team that was in Game 7 of the SCF two years prior, then steered them to the bottom of the league.

(For the sake of comparison, Howson took over a team whose franchise high for points in a season was 74. They beat that four times in his five full seasons, including a playoff year.)

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Perfect_Drug

I'm no Tambo apologist by any means, but you have to understand the mess he acquired.

Not only did he acquire some of the WORST contracts in the game, he acquired the worst locker room culture, and the WORST prospect depth in the league.

Tom Renney was a good development coach for the Oilers, but he was being tuned out. NO regrets on Renney.

You wanna know how bad Edmonton was when he took over???

THIS is a list of Tambellini's BEST moves: (NOT Sarcastic)
All of these IMPROVED the team going forward:

Waiving Ethan Moreau
Moving Cogliano for a bag of pucks
Letting Souray Rot in the minors
Buying out Souray
Buying out Nilsson
Buying out Patrick O Sullivan
Trading Denis Grebeshkov for a pick
Waives Schremp
Waives Brule
Traded Staios

THAT is how bad the Oilers were when he took over. He HAD to dump half the team to improve... and that was with some of the worst prospect depth in the league, and no AHL affiliate, and NO UFA wanted to sign there.

I mean the optics for those 30,30,29th places aren't great, but Not even Scotty Bowman would have been able to avoid that.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Steve Tambellini.

The LA-EDM fiasco was pretty unclassy, IMO.

The only reason why I think he's the worst GM is because I can safely say, and you can take this to the bank, that I could have done his job for Katz and charged less than half for it. All I had to do was suck and draft 1st overall.

I can do it.

With all guys saying McPhee, at least the guy tried to build around Ovechkin and tried to surround him with good players. He's also drafted pretty well recently it seems.

02-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
Feaster keeps the team as a 9th/10th seed. He hasn't done anything to bring his team to a new level. They're just a mediocre team. Either rebuild, or focus on winning. Just making the playoffs shouldn't be a goal every single year.
What is so phenomenally hard about understanding that it's the ownership group who push that mandate on Feaster?

Are people here that incapable of realizing that if Feaster told ownership he wanted to rebuild the team, they'd fire him and bring in someone who would do as they say?

Secondly, he added Cervenka, Hudler, Wideman and Cammalleri to the roster within the last year or so. All of them are significant additions that illustrate that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote