HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Tangradi traded to the Jets for a 7th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
dogthateats

vCash: 500
I can see it now... Tangradi scores his first goal in 40 games against Fleury. Every player scores his first goal ever or first after a long slump against Fleury.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
I can see it now... Tangradi scores his first goal in 40 games against Fleury. Every player scores his first goal ever or first after a long slump against Fleury.
Could you blame him with the Big Dud glaring down at him? ARR! ARR! ARR!

equals

Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
Hey it's from the Jets, it's as close as your gonna get to a 6th

BTW Kane's ready for Matt Cooke, new dew.
Maybe Kane should worry about improving instead of getting involved in other peoples affairs? it was not intentional, and now he does this? the guy needs a punch to the face, maybe Eng and Bort (if he plays) can do it? Cooke has no need to fight Kane anyway, he didn't do anything to a Jet.

edit- Wait, i thought EK was Erik Karlsson, it's E Kane.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Flat Stanley

I can't even see what his hair says.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:49 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
It's a reference to knocking Cooke out (Got Knocked The **** Out).

It's also a photoshop of the YMCMB haircut.

On to Tangradi, I think Pens fans should be excited about this. If he doesn't turn out, not much is lost. A 7th for nothing is still a 7th. If he does turn out, the odds of Bylsma losing his job just went up.

It's a win/win.

PS he's playing against the Pens tomorrow.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
PittPenguin

Some great Tangradi quotes via @MolinariPG:

Quote:
Tangradi: Facing Penguins in his first game as a Jet is "kind of like seeing your ex-girlfriend at the bar the next night."
Quote:
Tangradi: "I have a mindset of 'no friends' tonight. ... I'm just trying to play my game and be physical."
Quote:
Tangradi: "It's not the No. 1 thing in my head to score (tonight). I'm just looking forward to getting an opportunity and playing my game."
Quote:
Tangradi: "Sometimes, I felt like I had a short leash out there (with the Penguins). I felt like I was playing just not to make a mistake."

Old
02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
NastyNick

He sounds a little ********. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually shows up and performs tonight, but still won't change my mind that the Pens made the best decision.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
He sounds a little ********. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually shows up and performs tonight, but still won't change my mind that the Pens made the best decision.
He doesn't sound "********" at all. He was just being honest. He DID have a short leash. Whether that's fair or not is another issue.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:26 AM
JTG

Tangradi and Strait have both made reference of a short leash. It seems as though some players get that leash, and others do not.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Funk311

I would be ******** for sure. Yes it's a business, but i imagine it is always awkward to be cut loose.

Waived is probably worse.....we just don't want you here. It's like spring cleaning....my house doesn't need this ripped bean bag anymore.....but some weird old guy in a station wagon (enter Winnipeg) has picked me up and and given me a new home.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Tangradi and Strait have both made reference of a short leash. It seems as though some players get that leash, and others do not.
Yeah, ****** prospects like Tangradi and Strait get a short leash. Actually legitimate ones like Despres don't.

Those two guys can go eff themselves for all I care. They suck anyways.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Yeah, ****** prospects like Tangradi and Strait get a short leash. Actually legitimate ones like Despres don't.

Brian Strait is playing sizeable mins in New York. No prospect should get a short leash where they feel like they cannot make a mistake. That is in no way constructive. I have seen Despres make some really stupid plays since he's been up here, but he still gets his minutes. If Brian Strait made some of the plays Despres did while he was here he would have been healthy scratched next game.

I'm excited to see Beau Bennett, but I sort of cringe at the same time.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Cool story. Strait actually doesn't suck. He is most definitely a solid 3rd pairing dman on nearly every team. The Pens just had a lot of 3rd pairing dmen and they picked Bortuzzo over him.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Shady Machine

More Tangradi quotes:

Here's more of what Tangradi had to say...

On if heís going to try to score:
If I just focus on playing my game and playing north-south, hopefully good things will happen. Itís not the number one thing in my head to score, but Iím just looking forward to getting an opportunity and playing my game.

On how the last couple days have been:
I think it was Wednesday (I was traded) but it feels like a long, long time. Wednesday I got the call and have had a huge smile on my face even to today. Yesterday was a long day of travel but no complaints here, I got a good nightís sleep and just ready to put on the Jets sweater and go to work tonight.

On what heís been told about his opportunity with the Jets:
Iíve been told that it is an opportunity. I think Iím going to start with (Kyle Wellwood) and (Olli Jokinen) there on the left side. Iím just looking forward to it. Itís up to me if I stay there or not. Thatís an opportunity I feel like I havenít been given in the past, so Iím looking forward to it.

So not "********". He sounds happy and relieved that he has a new start with an opportunity we weren't going to give him.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Cool story. Strait actually doesn't suck. He is most definitely a solid 3rd pairing dman on nearly every team. The Pens just had a lot of 3rd pairing dmen and they picked Bortuzzo over him.
Yeah, exactly. A solid third pairing defenseman. That's probably his ceiling. If *everything* goes right for him, he becomes the next Rob Scuderi. Whoopdie do.

We have a billion third pairing defensemen in the system and on our roster. Strait is nothing special so I don't know why he's whining about not getting a chance here.

Sure he's playing big minutes on the Isles, but that's because the Isles suck and don't spend any money. I'm sure in the dark days Strait would have been a top pairing guy for us too, but thankfully we're past that now.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
Brian Strait is playing sizeable mins in New York. No prospect should get a short leash where they feel like they cannot make a mistake. That is in no way constructive. I have seen Despres make some really stupid plays since he's been up here, but he still gets his minutes. If Brian Strait made some of the plays Despres did while he was here he would have been healthy scratched next game.

I'm excited to see Beau Bennett, but I sort of cringe at the same time.
It's a double standard for sure, but there is a good reason for that. For every mistake Despres makes, he makes up for it with a play that only someone of his talent could make.

If a Brian Strait or an Eric Tangradi is making mistakes, they're going to get benched because they don't bring anything else to the table. In order to be successful players they need to be guys that don't make many mistakes because unlike Despres they don't have the talent to cover up for it. The best they can do on most nights is play a good simple game. It's not fair, but it is logical.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Mššttš

^ I agree.

Strait is playing well but he went to a team lacking in D talent that could give him those minutes. Hopefully Tangradi gets the same chance with the Jets.

It's understandable why Despres gets a longer leash since he's capable of making so much more happen than a guy like Strait or Tangradi. The good will usually outweigh the bad with a kid like Despres.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
JTG

Quote:
It's a double standard for sure, but there is a good reason for that. For every mistake Despres makes, he makes up for it with a play that only someone of his talent could make.

If a Brian Strait or an Eric Tangradi is making mistakes, they're going to get benched because they don't bring anything else to the table. In order to be successful players they need to be guys that don't make many mistakes because unlike Despres they don't have the talent to cover up for it. The best they can do on most nights is play a good simple game. It's not fair, but it is logical.
I don't think Brian Strait, in particular, ever gave the coaching staff a reason to give him a short leash.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Pancakes

Quote:
I don't think Brian Strait, in particular, ever gave the coaching staff a reason to give him a short leash.
You might be right there. I'm actually surprised he even said anything about that. I don't recall him ever getting shafted with minutes when he did play for us, nor do I recall him being benched ever. He could complain about being scratched I suppose, but the reason for that is we have/had like 10 NHL defensemen. Robert Bortuzzo is even better than Strait, and he's not even playing right now.

I do recall Tangradi getting benched for mistakes. But Strait? He always got a fair shake when we dressed him from what I recall. Hell didn't he even play in the playoffs last year?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. A solid third pairing defenseman. That's probably his ceiling. If *everything* goes right for him, he becomes the next Rob Scuderi. Whoopdie do.

We have a billion third pairing defensemen in the system and on our roster. Strait is nothing special so I don't know why he's whining about not getting a chance here.

Sure he's playing big minutes on the Isles, but that's because the Isles suck and don't spend any money. I'm sure in the dark days Strait would have been a top pairing guy for us too, but thankfully we're past that now.
Enough with the "whining" stuff. Neither Tangradi or Strait were whining. The media asked them these questions and they just answered honestly. They DID have a short leash. They weren't given the same benefit of the doubt that veterans get. They were speaking the truth.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
The biggest downfall of Tangradi in Pittsburgh, IMO, was that the organization wouldn't let the guy go out and play his game. Of course you can talk about adaptability of the player, but fact is, a guy is what he is. When you start getting in his head and telling him to change what he does naturally, I don't think it ever ends well. I got the feeling in things I read from DB and RS that they were trying to change his game. They would say things like "...doing what we're asking of him" and things like that. I tend to believe what they were asking of him was him changing his game. He wasn't a big bruising power forward.

This doesn't absolve Tangradi of blame. He didn't adapt at all here. There is a certain amount of adaptability you need as a young guy just so you stick, and when you do, you can sort of mold your game and find things that work. He didn't do that, and now he's in Winnipeg.

The guy had a stunted development because of injury, and really, he needed more seasoning. His contract situation wouldn't let that happen though. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is.
This is my feeling as well. You can't expect a square peg to be asked to fit in a round hole.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Pens1566

Quote:

Your talent evaluation skills are questionable at best. You sound more like a "they're not our property anymore so now they suck" poster.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

You mean like how Despres was sat out in favor of Lovejoy for 2 or 3 games this season after he had an average (but I didn't think particularly bad) game?

If that's not a short leash, I don't know what your definition is.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
Tangradi: Facing Penguins in his first game as a Jet is "kind of like seeing your ex-girlfriend at the bar the next night."
An ex-girlfriend he couldn't score with?

Old
02-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
An ex-girlfriend he couldn't score with?

Closed Thread