HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tangradi traded to the Jets for a 7th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Have not read all the responses. But obviously this is another indication that they want to give Boychuk a tryout at least for the rest of this year. And honestly not only did Boychuk have a better pedigree (middle of the first round pick, 14th overall, right? While Tangradi was a 2nd round pick), is younger, but he looked worlds better than Tangradi while here.

I for one have been very much on the wagon of giving Boychuk every opportunity to prove himself here for the rest of this year. If that is what this means I will take it. Would guess that Letang and Nisky must be close to coming back too.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
We don't need three guys getting scratched every night. Shero has almost never gone with a full 23 man roster in his tenure.

That said I do expect Bennett will get a cameo appearance, but I still don't think he's seen as the answer for this season. He's got too much to learn in WBS still.
This x 100

I'm comfortable with Bennett getting a couple of games, but if anyone wants him to stay up is crazy.

He'd likely be a healthy scratch a majority of the games which will only hurt his development. Bring him up, let him practice with the team, get a few games then send him back down.

As much as we want him to stick and contribute, we have to keep our expectations realistic.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Wasting a roster spot on Boychuk makes sense because - as sad as this sounds - he's been more effective than Tangradi was.
Exactly. He's the better of those two projects.

Old
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Had to hurt Shero to come to the realization that his former top prospect was just not going to pan out here.=

It wasn't his prospect per se... he was a throw-in as part of the Kunitz deal. Not like Shero drafted the kid and was talking him up all this time. He took a chance on a kid with an uncertain future / upside and it didn't work out. So be it.

Old
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

I think Tangradi's injury woes are also a factor in his development. It's not all Shero, not all Tangradi, and not all Bylsma's fault. The kid had a rough hand dealt, which lost lots of valuable development time, and we don't have the situation we did in the mid 2000's where we could develop him properly with lots of consequence free ice time.

It sucks, but hey, life sucks. Them's the breaks, sucker.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Terrapin

Good for ET. Hope it works out for him. I've been as big of basher as anyone, but wish him well.

That being said, my faith in Shero is plummeting fast. A 7th round pick? Seriously? I would think ET would at least have value as a 'sweenter' in a deal.

And, apparently Shero and Bylsma thought, or at least hoped, that ET could play with Geno and Neal. The role Shero failed to address in the offseason. So, the kid goes from playing on the top line of the SC favorites, to being a healthy scratch, to being traded for a 7th rd pick. Now either Shero and co. seriously overrated ET, or had no choice but to put him on that top line. Either way, that's a major screw up by Shero.

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I used to think that. After watching him play this season, I'm not so sure.

Either way, I think that's a moot argument. Tangradi was never going to get that PP time here with Bylsma or any other coach we could have possibly brought in. He just didn't click with this team.
How many times did he see the PP this year? We didn't give him a shot at what made him successful at other levels. Strait didn't "click" with the team either. We took a good prospect & ran him into the ground.

Old
TerraFeeshMD

BTW folks, Shero getting a 7th rounder shows where other NHL teams valued Tangradi. It's not like he turned down other higher draft picks to send him to Winnipeg. That's his value to ****** NHL teams that aren't in a win-now mode.

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
It wasn't his prospect per se... he was a throw-in as part of the Kunitz deal. Not like Shero drafted the kid and was talking him up all this time. He took a chance on a kid with an uncertain future / upside and it didn't work out. So be it.
Shero was very high on him back then though. He said he wouldn't have done the Whitney trade without Tangradi included. Whitney fell off though and Kunitz has done well here so no loss.

Old
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Exactly, these are the kind of moves you want your GM to make. And you also want them to know when to cut their losses. I hope Shero was right (like he was with Esposito, Armstrong, Caputi, Whitney, etc.)

And considering the amount of people who wanted ET gone last season, it's weird that everyone wants him back now/is convinced we could have gotten the moon for him.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
How many times did he see the PP this year? We didn't give him a shot at what made him successful at other levels. Strait didn't "click" with the team either. We took a good prospect & ran him into the ground.
But why would you? He doesn't have the hands. That's the point. Or do we so quickly forget the Steve McKenna on the power play experiment?

Strait still hasn't proved he's the Alex Naslund you all desperately want him to be, either.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
TerraFeeshMD

Oh noesss... what if he teams with Angelo Esposito to absolutely destroy the Pens down the road?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Good for ET. Hope it works out for him. I've been as big of basher as anyone, but wish him well.

That being said, my faith in Shero is plummeting fast. A 7th round pick? Seriously? I would think ET would at least have value as a 'sweenter' in a deal.
And why would you think that? Because you want it to be so? Seriously, I don't understand this logic.

Quote:
And, apparently Shero and Bylsma thought, or at least hoped, that ET could play with Geno and Neal. The role Shero failed to address in the offseason. So, the kid goes from playing on the top line of the SC favorites, to being a healthy scratch, to being traded for a 7th rd pick. Now either Shero and co. seriously overrated ET, or had no choice but to put him on that top line. Either way, that's a major screw up by Shero.
Do explain. I am eager to hear this.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
But why would you? He doesn't have the hands. That's the point. Or do we so quickly forget the Steve McKenna on the power play experiment?

Strait still hasn't proved he's the Alex Naslund you all desperately want him to be, either.
If you watched him at any other level you know he does have the hands. You have to give a young guy a shot as what he does well. Bylsma has shown he's not willing to do that. Without Sid & Malkin we would be in big trouble. Bylsma isn't good at evaluating talent. I don't see why you are denying Strait's success. He's been pretty good for the Islanders.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Shero was very high on him back then though. He said he wouldn't have done the Whitney trade without Tangradi included. Whitney fell off though and Kunitz has done well here so no loss.
But that's kinda the point, he was a prospect-- and one who suffered a pretty severe injury after the trade to boot.

This story isn't anything new, I think. I'm honestly puzzled as to why people seem to think this some unforeseen betrayal of trust.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
If you watched him at any other level you know he does have the hands. You have to give a young guy a shot as what he does well. Bylsma has shown he's not willing to do that. Without Sid & Malkin we would be in big trouble. Bylsma isn't good at evaluating talent. I don't see why you are denying Strait's success. He's been pretty good for the Islanders.
Really? His AHL play had potential, but he was never tearing the league up. He struggled last season and he struggled this season. He does not have the hands at the NHL level, when he has less time and space. And that's a real problem. Like I said, being a big body in front of the net on the PP is only good for so much, otherwise McKenna (with Lemieux setting him up, might I add) would have stuck on special teams.

Re: Strait

Because it's been a handful of games and not good enough for a sample-size to extrapolate as to how he'll do in the future. But don't let me ruin your misery circlejerk.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Fire Shero*

Haha I am glad he is gone. But a 7th round pick for the next Kevin Stevens is a steal by the Jets

It was fascinating watching people justify this guy's play. Let him play, he can stand in front of the net! He did it once in the Tampa series 2 years ago!

The second that trade was made, we found the next Kevin Stevens! After he struggled, well maybe he will be Ryan Malone. Then after this season, he pretty much was a worse version of Dave Roche.

Last edited by Fire Shero*: 02-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
And all for a 5th, a 7h and a conditional 7th ... maybe are we too high on our prospects?
No we just didn't really have top prospects back then. We are much better off now. When you plug in Crosby, Malkin, Staal immediately and letang shortly after, you're prospect pool will be kinda thin. Those guys we dumped this year aren't bad players, just no room for them here. The guys in front of them are better and so are the ones behind em.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
TerraFeeshMD

Quote:

Because it's been a handful of games and not good enough for a sample-size to extrapolate as to how he'll do in the future. But don't let me ruin your misery circlejerk.
[sarcasm]Letestu has been on fire this season! Shero gave up on a 40-goal scorer to go along with his +25![/sarcasm]

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Really? His AHL play had potential, but he was never tearing the league up. He struggled last season and he struggled this season. He does not have the hands at the NHL level, when he has less time and space. And that's a real problem. Like I said, being a big body in front of the net on the PP is only good for so much, otherwise McKenna (with Lemieux setting him up, might I add) would have stuck on special teams.

A handful of games? That would be around 5. He's played over a quarter of this season. It's amazing what happens when you give a young guy a shot. Maybe it's time to stop circlejerking Bylsma & see the guy isn't perfect.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
And why would you think that? Because you want it to be so? Seriously, I don't understand this logic.

Do explain. I am eager to hear this.
The way a lot of people on this board talked, he was the 2nd coming of Rick Tocchet.

Explain what? Those are the only two explanations. Either Shero thought ET was good enough to play on the top line of a top team in the league, or they had to play him there because they had absolutely no other options for that role. Which one is it? And which one do you think wasn't a complete F up on Shero's part?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
This. Lovejoy got a 5th because even bad stop-gap #7 NHL defensemen are harder to find than big, average wings with dwindling potential struggling to adjust to the NHL game.

And for the record, I would have preferred to try to develop Tangradi here, but I get the decision.
To an outsider, Lovejoy had the look of a good guy in a bad situation. Big player, moves well, right-handed, decent shot. It's eminently sensible to take a chance on a guy like that, even if he's playing terribly, because, at a glance, he's an NHL package in every way in the role of greatest current scarcity (PMD).

Tangradi doesn't cover a lot of ground and can't cement a roster spot in an organization that has a gaping hole at his position. He couldn't register a point with two first-team all-stars. He wasn't going to get anything back in a trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
PensFan6687

I like Eric Tangradi for the Winnipeg Jets. Why? All it cost us was a 7th round pick. While he didn't exactly have chemistry playing with either of Sid the Kid or Geno, he could be used on a kid line with Alex Burmistrov and Evander Kane. Their speed could use to free up space for him, while his big body could be parked in front of the net, getting their garbage.

Wow, from one favorite team to another. hehe

Old
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
WarriorScholar

This winger development talk reminded me of the fact forsberg is lighting up Sweden league this season.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
The way a lot of people on this board talked, he was the 2nd coming of Rick Tocchet.
Alot of people on this board are idiots, though. I'm not asking them for help on my math homework, nor am I concerned with what they think about so and so.

Quote:
Explain what? Those are the only two explanations. Either Shero thought ET was good enough to play on the top line of a top team in the league, or they had to play him there because they had absolutely no other options for that role. Which one is it? And which one do you think wasn't a complete F up on Shero's part?
I don't get this. It's a false choice and bad logic. Firstly, it's clear that Shero wanted to get Parise in the offseason. He couldn't, but that was beyond his control.

Secondly, you have a number of assets that have potential but are untried. Shero did the cheapest, lowest-risk/highest-reward thing-- he let his prospects play to see what shook out. Granted the lockout killed our ability to sort this out in camp, but that's again something out of his control. Blame Burkle and Lemieux for that.

There are many things to criticize Shero for, but getting rid of a player who's not clicking with the team for whatever reason and getting something (instead of nothing on waivers) isn't really much of a reason to be up in arms in my book.

Closed Thread