HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Tangradi traded to the Jets for a 7th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Really? His AHL play had potential, but he was never tearing the league up. He struggled last season and he struggled this season. He does not have the hands at the NHL level, when he has less time and space. And that's a real problem. Like I said, being a big body in front of the net on the PP is only good for so much, otherwise McKenna (with Lemieux setting him up, might I add) would have stuck on special teams.

Re: Strait

Because it's been a handful of games and not good enough for a sample-size to extrapolate as to how he'll do in the future. But don't let me ruin your misery **********.
I hated losing Strait, but it was simply a numbers game because the organization believes - and they're right - that he can be replaced with a bunch of guys coming down the pipeline. They didn't want to lose him.

Tangradi? Just...please.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Iggy Smalls

Good luck, Eric- just not against the Penguins.

Big Dog and Big Buf

Old
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
To an outsider, Lovejoy had the look of a good guy in a bad situation. Big player, moves well, right-handed, decent shot. It's eminently sensible to take a chance on a guy like that, even if he's playing terribly, because, at a glance, he's an NHL package in every way in the role of greatest current scarcity (PMD).

Tangradi doesn't cover a lot of ground and can't cement a roster spot in an organization that has a gaping hole at his position. He couldn't register a point with two first-team all-stars. He wasn't going to get anything back in a trade.
I don't know how good Lovejoy will end up being, but his development path was actually quite similar (if not a little quicker) than Rob Scuderi's-- and he's virtually canonized over here. So take it as you will.

And again, I'm not hating on Tangradi, since I was a backer of his early and I'm disappointed that he couldn't stick. But he was just not clicking with anyone in the top 6 this year or last. There's no place for him on the bottom 6, and we can't send him to the farm. Winnipeg is the best place for him as a player, IMO, and they have the luxury of keeping him in the top 6 while we can't really afford that.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
This winger development talk reminded me of the fact forsberg is lighting up Sweden league this season.
That's an entirely different problem. It's one thing to suck at developing but we also aren't doing to well in drafting it either. This organization is afraid to move outside it's comfort zone & it will fall behind for it if they don't change.

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:
I don't know how good Lovejoy will end up being, but his development path was actually quite similar (if not a little quicker) than Rob Scuderi's-- and he's virtually canonized over here. So take it as you will.

And again, I'm not hating on Tangradi, since I was a backer of his early and I'm disappointed that he couldn't stick. But he was just not clicking with anyone in the top 6 this year or last. There's no place for him on the bottom 6, and we can't send him to the farm. Winnipeg is the best place for him as a player, IMO, and they have the luxury of keeping him in the top 6 while we can't really afford that.
Good point on Scuderi. If he was in our system now with d prospects we have, he'd probably be cut loose

Old
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I hated losing Strait, but it was simply a numbers game because the organization believes - and they're right - that he can be replaced with a bunch of guys coming down the pipeline. They didn't want to lose him.

Tangradi? Just...please.
I get why people didn't want to lose Strait. I just doubt that he's going to be a top 4 guy on any other team but ones like the Islanders. That's why I think it's kind of insane to act like we just lost Naslund or a player of similar caliber. It's just part of this weird Pittsburgh misery complex where we seem to get excited about getting ****ed over.

Maybe I'm wrong, and when Strait wins the Norris in five years, I'll eat my crow. But until then, I'd like to see Strait play a larger chunk of games than 14 to see what happens.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
mr sidney crosby

Tangradi is "pumped" to go to winnipeg. Shake my head. Jets < pens

Old
02-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
This winger development talk reminded me of the fact forsberg is lighting up Sweden league this season.
How dare you sir. We needed more defensemen.

It is pretty funny that half of our potential future top 6 prospects are gone after this 1 trade.

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

Scuderi was not almost 30 until he turned it around. Lovejoy is done developing. He developed into a turd & that's what he'll be.

Old
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
That's an entirely different problem. It's one thing to suck at developing but we also aren't doing to well in drafting it either. This organization is afraid to move outside it's comfort zone & it will fall behind for it if they don't change.
That, I think we can all agree on.

Old
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Can't see him getting much more playing time in Winnipeg really.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Tangradi is "pumped" to go to winnipeg. Shake my head. Jets < pens
Probably can't wait to get his multi-year contract after just a couple of games.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Scuderi was not almost 30 until he turned it around. Lovejoy is done developing. He developed into a turd & that's what he'll be.
Yes Scuderi was. Born - 1978. Played on the Penguins until... 2009.

That's 30 years, man.

I don't know where this revisionist history is coming from, but Scuderi took just as long as Lovejoy to develop and on bad teams (where he wouldn't be scratched no matter what) to boot.

Edit: I'd also suggest people search for old threads on Scuderi here, especially the amount of people who thought Shero should have been fired for resigning him before the Cup run. Scuderi was not EVER considered much of a defensemen until the year we won the cup, rightly or wrongly.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:52 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I get why people didn't want to lose Strait. I just doubt that he's going to be a top 4 guy on any other team but ones like the Islanders. That's why I think it's kind of insane to act like we just lost Naslund or a player of similar caliber.

Maybe I'm wrong, and when Strait wins the Norris in five years, I'll eat my crow. But until then, I'd like to see Strait play a larger chunk of games than 14 to see what happens.
No, Strait's not a Norris guy, but he was NHL ready and was easily a steady 5th or 6th defenseman. Best of all, he'd be cheap as hell, and I personally think he's better than Bortuzzo.

The Tangradi love was nothing more than well wishing. LONG gone are the days of big guys who are average skaters, even when they do have good hands. Add average hands to boot, and you have a guy that will go the way of Luca Caputi.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:53 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
They should have really picked him. Every organisation can ruin an Eric Tangradi, but it takes real dedication to beat all the talent out of a top10 pick.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I don't think Strait will win a Norris, but he was NHL ready and was easily a steady 5th or 6th defenseman. Best of all, he'd be cheap as hell, and I personally think he's better than Bortuzzo.
Sure. But I think he'd still have been a 7 here, behind Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskannen, Despres, and Engelland.

Bortuzzo will not be as good, but he has a unique skillset that Strait didn't. Sucks, but, what could we have done? Traded Despres? Niskannen?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Alot of people on this board are idiots, though. I'm not asking them for help on my math homework, nor am I concerned with what they think about so and so.

I don't get this. It's a false choice and bad logic. Firstly, it's clear that Shero wanted to get Parise in the offseason. He couldn't, but that was beyond his control.

Secondly, you have a number of assets that have potential but are untried. Shero did the cheapest, lowest-risk/highest-reward thing-- he let his prospects play to see what shook out. Granted the lockout killed our ability to sort this out in camp, but that's again something out of his control. Blame Burkle and Lemieux for that.

There are many things to criticize Shero for, but getting rid of a player who's not clicking with the team for whatever reason and getting something (instead of nothing on waivers) isn't really much of a reason to be up in arms in my book.
As I said, I bashed Tangradi as much as anyone. Frankly I think he sucks. But, he is young, has size, has gotten a little experience, etc. A 7th round pick isn't much different than the waiver wire.

My problem with Shero is that he obviously had no backup plan. As I said in other threads, it was Parise or bust. Just because he 'tried' to get him doesn't mean ****. Lots of people 'try' things. They're judged on results. He was able to land as much of Parise as every other GM in the league not in Minnesota. The same way he couldn't sign Hossa, Weber, Jagr, and other top FAs. And this offseason, he had no answer for a major role in this lineup. We lost Asham, Staal, and Sullivan, and replaced them with Tanner Glass, Brandon Sutter, and Zack Boychuk.

I agree, not everything is in his control. But my previous thinking of 'don't worry, Ray will do something to make the team better' is rapidly fading.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

I'm fairly certain we haven't had a 'prospect trade' work out since Kevin Stevens in the 80s.

Think about it. When was the last time we traded for a prospect who turned out to be anything?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
They should have really picked him. Every organisation can ruin an Eric Tangradi, but it takes real dedication to beat all the talent out of a top10 pick.
Forsberg, Bennett, Morrow, Maata, Dumoulin, and Harrington.

Or

Bennett , Morrow, Pouliot, Maata, Dumoulin, and Harrington

Beating a dead horse here....but Pouliot better be an all star.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Yes Scuderi was. Born - 1978. Played on the Penguins until... 2009.

That's 30 years, man.

I don't know where this revisionist history is coming from, but Scuderi took just as long as Lovejoy to develop and on bad teams (where he wouldn't be scratched no matter what) to boot.

Edit: I'd also suggest people search for old threads on Scuderi here, especially the amount of people who thought Shero should have been fired for resigning him before the Cup run. Scuderi was not EVER considered much of a defensemen until the year we won the cup, rightly or wrongly.
He turned his career around in 2006-07. That puts him around 27. I'm not basing my history on what this board felt at anytime. It's the same board who wanted to trade Malkin & keep Staal.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
As I said, I bashed Tangradi as much as anyone. Frankly I think he sucks. But, he is young, has size, has gotten a little experience, etc. A 7th round pick isn't much different than the waiver wire.
So? The GM doesn't dictate market value here, especially when the prospect in question is, in your eyes, "terrible". What do you want? It's not like the 70's where GM don't have video and nobody on the West Coast has seen our team play.

Quote:
My problem with Shero is that he obviously had no backup plan. As I said in other threads, it was Parise or bust. Just because he 'tried' to get him doesn't mean ****. Lots of people 'try' things. They're judged on results.
No, people are judged on many things, results are not the only thing. Otherwise, 31 GMs would be fired every year.

Quote:
He was able to land as much of Parise as every other GM in the league not in Minnesota. The same way he couldn't sign Hossa, Weber, Jagr, and other top FAs. And this offseason, he had no answer for a major role in this lineup. We lost Asham, Staal, and Sullivan, and replaced them with Tanner Glass, Brandon Sutter, and Zack Boychuk.

I agree, not everything is in his control. But my previous thinking of 'don't worry, Ray will do something to make the team better' is rapidly fading.
Except Shero does address holes. He just doesn't do it if he feels the price is too much past some unknown threshold. That you can fault him for, certainly. But to say that Shero is unaware of our problems or doesn't have an answer for them is ludicrous. You just don't like his answer, which is "Wait for the right deal to come along". Which is fine, might I add, but that should be the argument.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:02 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
He turned his career around in 2006-07. That puts him around 27. I'm not basing my history on what this board felt at anytime. It's the same board who wanted to trade Malkin & keep Staal.
What evidence are you using for this? Either way, it's splitting hairs just because you don't like Lovejoy and feel personally aggrieved by this trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
so what does the All Time Shero Gave-Up-On-'em Team look like:

Eric Tangradi-Mark Letestu-Nick Johnson

Brian Strait-Ben Lovejoy
Jake Muzzin-Carl Sneep

Chad Johnson

it's not so bad as long as you don't count Moulson and you shouldn't. if you made a line-up of the guys teams gave up on, this would probably be one of the least egregious.

not sure i'd trade a 4th, 5th and a 7th for that team.
Nick Johnson I wouldn't have minded if they kept around. He didn't offend me, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. To put it another way, I don't think he ever looked "bad."

Old
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Nick Johnson I wouldn't have minded if they kept around. He didn't offend me, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. To put it another way, I don't think he ever looked "bad."
But he's yet another guy who has three goals now...

But wouldn't shock me in the least if he doesn't score another 3 the rest of the year.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Hopefully this means that Bennett will be called up soon or we see a trade for a winger.

Closed Thread