HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul - Will Play against Winnipeg (TSN).

Old
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
CerebralDevil

vCash: 500
you mean Frattan? lol look mah I dont have spell check!!!!!!!

CerebralDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:39 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
His name is in the thread title and about every post, how the hell do you still spell it wrong?
Blahaha

That's way funnier than the quoted "joke".

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Joey Vendetta ( fan590) tweeted Lupul should be back in about 8 days. Was retweeted by Hockey Central so its got some credibility.

Im on my phone so no link, sorry
Thanks for this. Guess this means he will be back for the Wednesday (March 20th) game against Tampa, at the latest.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Stephen

I don't think Lupul's going to be a happy story here in Toronto. He's just going to be hurt in a myriad of ways like he always has been in his career and that contract is going to be an iron grip around the Leafs neck for years to come. Nice guy and a great 2/3 of a season last year, but I see this happening over and over the next few years.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:35 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't think Lupul's going to be a happy story here in Toronto. He's just going to be hurt in a myriad of ways like he always has been in his career and that contract is going to be an iron grip around the Leafs neck for years to come. Nice guy and a great 2/3 of a season last year, but I see this happening over and over the next few years.
Yep I am starting to get that feeling. It sucks cause I like him, but I feel like he will be on the IR more then hes off it.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:36 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
He got hit by a puck in the forearm for standing in front of the net.

I swear you can't win in this town unless you're a third line fighter

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
You see Phaneuf shooting more pucks at him?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Superstar

Quote:
It's a fluke injury -- Lupul's in the best shape of his life.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:43 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post

Yeah but he missed 16 games with a seperated shoulder last year, and 22 games so far with a fractured fore arm this year. Thats 38 out of 135 games on the IR. Not saying he is going to keep getting injured, but like Stephen said if that continues its a scary thought, especially being locked up for 5 more years at 5.25 mil.

I'd like to see him stay off the IR for a while when he comes back.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yeah but he missed 16 games with a seperated shoulder last year, and 22 games so far with a fractured fore arm this year. Thats 38 out of 135 games on the IR. Not saying he is going to keep getting injured, but like Stephen said if that continues its a scary thought, especially being locked up for 5 more years at 5.25 mil.

I'd like to see him stay off the IR for a while when he comes back.
Don't hold your breath and shovel snow.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
You see Phaneuf shooting more pucks at him?
Well, yeah, actually, if he goes to the front of the net again...

Plus some kind of unfortunate bad breaks to add to this lengthy list:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...t-year-career/

Seems more reasonable than to expect a healthy player for the duration of his deal.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post

Nov. 27, 2002
Lupul is punished for breaking curfew by his junior team (Medicine Hat Tigers). The 19-year-old from Edmonton — selected seventh overall by Anaheim in the NHL draft five months earlier — is sent home. “When the coach says the next kid who [breaks curfew], he’s going home, and the next guy happens to be Joffrey … well, that’s where he is now — at home,” Lupul’s agent, Peter Semonick, told The Edmonton Journal. “It’s a case of Joffrey being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Jan. 5, 2008
Lupul is playing for the Philadelphia Flyers in a game against the Leafs. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Lupul is “accidentally drilled by teammate Derian Hatcher during a freak collision” in which Hatcher was actually trying to check an opposing player. Lupul suffers a concussion and a bruised spinal cord and is out for a month.

Feb. 16, 2008
In his fifth game back from his concussion and spinal bruise, Lupul suffers a high ankle sprain in the first period against Montreal. He will miss another month, raising his total of games missed during the 2007-08 season to 26.

Dec. 17, 2009
A four-game point streak — including consecutive games with more than 21 minutes of ice time for the Anaheim Ducks — comes crashing to a halt. Back spasms had tormented Lupul in training camp with the Ducks, and now the diagnosis, a herniated disc, requires a surgical solution. Back surgery is reportedly expected to sideline Lupul for eight weeks. Except, the surgery does not quite fix the problem. Lupul has to undergo a second operation. Along the way, he develops a blood infection that requires more than one treatment of intravenous antibiotics. He has to spend the better part of two months in bed. He sheds more than 30 pounds, dropping from about 206 pounds to 170 pounds, according to The Los Angeles Times. Lupul will be sidelined for a full calendar year. Nine weeks after he returns, Anaheim trades him to Toronto.

March 6, 2012
Lupul has his back to the ice, trying to retrieve the puck along the boards in his own zone in a game against the Boston Bruins. It has been a revelatory season for Lupul, who found a home on Toronto’s top line with fellow winger Phil Kessel. He was named to the NHL All-Star Game for the first time in January, and 15 minutes before he went digging for the loose puck, Lupul collected his 42nd assist of the year, a career high. In a flash, it was over. Bruins forward David Krejci drills Lupul into the boards. Lupul is clearly in pain. The diagnosis confirms the initial impression: A separated shoulder will force him to miss the final 16 games of the season.

Jan. 23, 2013
Four days after he was named an alternate captain by the Leafs — and just three days after signing a five-year contract extension worth US$26.25-million — Lupul is struck by a puck in front of the net during a game in Pittsburgh. It is not just any shot, either. It is a rocket from captain Dion Phaneuf, and it finds a gap between the padding on Lupul’s right arm. He leaves the ice immediately and does not return. It is a fracture. Lupul is expected to miss up to six weeks, or about half of the schedule in this lockout-shortened season. “When you go [to the net], sometimes things like that happen,” Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk says. “It’s unfortunate, but he was doing the right thing in the right place. Just kind of a freak accident.”

Old
03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Nov. 27, 2002
Lupul is punished for breaking curfew by his junior team (Medicine Hat Tigers). The 19-year-old from Edmonton — selected seventh overall by Anaheim in the NHL draft five months earlier — is sent home. “When the coach says the next kid who [breaks curfew], he’s going home, and the next guy happens to be Joffrey … well, that’s where he is now — at home,” Lupul’s agent, Peter Semonick, told The Edmonton Journal. “It’s a case of Joffrey being in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Jan. 5, 2008
Lupul is playing for the Philadelphia Flyers in a game against the Leafs. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, Lupul is “accidentally drilled by teammate Derian Hatcher during a freak collision” in which Hatcher was actually trying to check an opposing player. Lupul suffers a concussion and a bruised spinal cord and is out for a month.

Feb. 16, 2008
In his fifth game back from his concussion and spinal bruise, Lupul suffers a high ankle sprain in the first period against Montreal. He will miss another month, raising his total of games missed during the 2007-08 season to 26.

Dec. 17, 2009
A four-game point streak — including consecutive games with more than 21 minutes of ice time for the Anaheim Ducks — comes crashing to a halt. Back spasms had tormented Lupul in training camp with the Ducks, and now the diagnosis, a herniated disc, requires a surgical solution. Back surgery is reportedly expected to sideline Lupul for eight weeks. Except, the surgery does not quite fix the problem. Lupul has to undergo a second operation. Along the way, he develops a blood infection that requires more than one treatment of intravenous antibiotics. He has to spend the better part of two months in bed. He sheds more than 30 pounds, dropping from about 206 pounds to 170 pounds, according to The Los Angeles Times. Lupul will be sidelined for a full calendar year. Nine weeks after he returns, Anaheim trades him to Toronto.

March 6, 2012
Lupul has his back to the ice, trying to retrieve the puck along the boards in his own zone in a game against the Boston Bruins. It has been a revelatory season for Lupul, who found a home on Toronto’s top line with fellow winger Phil Kessel. He was named to the NHL All-Star Game for the first time in January, and 15 minutes before he went digging for the loose puck, Lupul collected his 42nd assist of the year, a career high. In a flash, it was over. Bruins forward David Krejci drills Lupul into the boards. Lupul is clearly in pain. The diagnosis confirms the initial impression: A separated shoulder will force him to miss the final 16 games of the season.

Jan. 23, 2013
Four days after he was named an alternate captain by the Leafs — and just three days after signing a five-year contract extension worth US$26.25-million — Lupul is struck by a puck in front of the net during a game in Pittsburgh. It is not just any shot, either. It is a rocket from captain Dion Phaneuf, and it finds a gap between the padding on Lupul’s right arm. He leaves the ice immediately and does not return. It is a fracture. Lupul is expected to miss up to six weeks, or about half of the schedule in this lockout-shortened season. “When you go [to the net], sometimes things like that happen,” Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk says. “It’s unfortunate, but he was doing the right thing in the right place. Just kind of a freak accident.”
Sad you start with a curfew incident. Couldn't even read the rest.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Sad you start with a curfew incident. Couldn't even read the rest.
I'm just pasting the article.

Six separate incidents since 2008 makes it hard for anyone to reasonably predict smooth sailings for the remainder of his contract.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:31 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
I'm just pasting the article.

Six separate incidents since 2008 makes it hard for anyone to reasonably predict smooth sailings for the remainder of his contract.
Then you should be including a link? Anyways, nothing worse than a legitimate argument including useless incidents to pad the frequency.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Then you should be including a link? Anyways, nothing worse than a legitimate argument including useless incidents to pad the frequency.
I did include a link, one post up...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...t-year-career/

It's hardly padding when it's one extra paragraph out of six and I've already bolded key words.

Anyway, no better way to derail a conversation than to start nitpicking because there's no reasonable way you can argue that Lupul should be some kind of iron man once he comes back. The guy is just unlucky and brittle.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Count Von Grabo*

I'm scurred

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:39 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

I expect him to do well in his next contract year. He will be a ****-show until then. Lupul won the lottery with that contract

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
I expect him to do well in his next contract year. He will be a ****-show until then. Lupul won the lottery with that contract
We might have to compliance that **** before it's even a year old...

Old
03-09-2013, 07:46 AM
jimmycarter

lupulus came out flying when he got back from his back injury if your memory serves you well.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
lupulus came out flying when he got back from his back injury if your memory serves you well.
No he didn't, he scored 13 points in 26 games in Anaheim and got shipped out of town.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:11 AM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
We might have to compliance that **** before it's even a year old...
Frankly, you're being ridiculous. Oh no he got hit by a puck and suffered the first broken bone of his career, his bones must be too brittle! Buy him out, quick!

shully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
DaveT83*

Our core is so sad:

Lupul
Kessel
Dion
Grabo
Liles

Worst - most overpaid 5 guys a rebuilding team could ever assemble. What a mess Burke has left.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Tarmore

Quote:
I'm shocked!

Stephen with a post of doom and gloom who would have thought it

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Our core is so sad:

Lupul
Kessel
Dion
Grabo
Liles

Worst - most overpaid 5 guys a rebuilding team could ever assemble. What a mess Burke has left.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote