HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders' Tavares returns home as MVP candidate

Old
04-18-2013, 03:26 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
"I have worked very hard on my skating," he said, "but I think I can still be so much better in that area. It is just starting for me. I realized I had to get better, and now I'm just trying to expand off it. It is rewarding to see my hard work pay off, though."

In terms of working on his game, Tavares is highly motivated. Brisson saw that in the player when he first took him on as a client at 18 years old. Tavares is the first to admit he looks to the likes of Crosby and Toews for motivation.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
"I have worked very hard on my skating," he said, "but I think I can still be so much better in that area. It is just starting for me. I realized I had to get better, and now I'm just trying to expand off it. It is rewarding to see my hard work pay off, though."

In terms of working on his game, Tavares is highly motivated. Brisson saw that in the player when he first took him on as a client at 18 years old. Tavares is the first to admit he looks to the likes of Crosby and Toews for motivation.
Sounds and nice and fluffy.
However i do not think he deserves the Hart IMO.
The guy is a good player but in the past month that we have been playing well he seemed off to me.

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Sounds and nice and fluffy.
However i do not think he deserves the Hart IMO.
The guy is a good player but in the past month that we have been playing well he seemed off to me.
Exactly, MVP of what ? He shouldn't even be voted the MVP of the Isles (Nabby should), let alone the NHL. The 11th leading scorer in the NHL has never won the MVP of the league. Terrible end to his season, can't remember the last time he dominated a game.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
iLandHer

Remember who kept this team afloat for months alone? Oh yeah, that was JT. What other players have done that?

He's cooled off, but he's still averaging a point per game. I don't know what all the fuss is about, he'll turn it back up soon.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:17 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Remember who kept this team afloat for months alone? Oh yeah, that was JT. What other players have done that?

He's cooled off, but he's still averaging a point per game. I don't know what all the fuss is about, he'll turn it back up soon.
Seriously, JT a whipping boy? C'mon now.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Seriously, JT a whipping boy? C'mon now.
Some are just negative people in general and it's translates. Isles close to a playoff spot, let's complain about our best player getting props.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Knish Of The Crease

I saw on NHL Network the other night that Bob McKenzie polled 25 head coaches. The coaches in the Eastern Conference had JT 2nd, only behind Crosby for MVP. They see something about him that's more than just point production. All he does is grind while Mr One Dimensional MM26 stands around in his cute little "wheelhouse" & BBStaios24 trips over the blue line on the forecheck.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:07 PM
dougr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
I saw on NHL Network the other night that Bob McKenzie polled 25 head coaches. The coaches in the Eastern Conference had JT 2nd, only behind Crosby for MVP. They see something about him that's more than just point production. All he does is grind while Mr One Dimensional MM26 stands around in his cute little "wheelhouse" & BBStaios24 trips over the blue line on the forecheck.

It is so frustrating to watch MM, and Boyes play with JT. I swear to god, MM cant skate, and unless he is a pylon in front of the opposing goalie he is useless. He is the only player i have ever seen step on a puck every time it is near his skates, and loose his balance.

dougr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
It is so frustrating to watch MM, and Boyes play with JT. I swear to god, MM cant skate, and unless he is a pylon in front of the opposing goalie he is useless. He is the only player i have ever seen step on a puck every time it is near his skates, and loose his balance.
I know right! He can only get a shot off if he has a 10ft radius of no one around him.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Potvinscup5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
Nothing wrong with Moulson but Boyes is not a first line winger. JT shouldnt be battling along boards that's something that PA or a Matt Martin type of player should be doing for JT. Hopefully Boyes gets to the third line someday.

Potvinscup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:30 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post

He's not playing very smart hockey, trying to do way too much out there and turning the puck over a lot. I have high expectations for him and I have been very disappointed in his play for the past month. I love JT, but he needs to pick it up if the Isles want to go anywhere. I still think Boyes is the HUGE problem and once he's off that line Tavares will become a lot better, but looks like Capuano will never take Boyes off the top line unfortunately.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Neverlose

What's wrong with calling out JT? He's been inexcusably invisible for a very long time now. He's been turning the puck over a lot, he hasn't been strong along the boards, misses the net or hits the goalies chest everytime he shoots. Honestly I don't think he's been himself since game 1. The hot streak to start the year kind of masked that. There were times throughout the years where I wondered if he was approaching best player in the league territory. Where has that guy been? You can only blame the play of Moulson and Boyes so much. Tavares needs to show a little more, especially when the rest of the team is playing great hockey. And Tavares is my favorite Islander of all time so don't think I'm a Tavares basher or anything.

Neverlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:42 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvinscup5 View Post
Nothing wrong with Moulson but Boyes is not a first line winger. JT shouldnt be battling along boards that's something that PA or a Matt Martin type of player should be doing for JT. Hopefully Boyes gets to the third line someday.
Crosby is the best grinder in the game, and if Crosby can grind the boards then so should Tavares.

He just needs support when he's doing it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
He's not playing very smart hockey, trying to do way too much out there and turning the puck over a lot. I have high expectations for him and I have been very disappointed in his play for the past month. I love JT, but he needs to pick it up if the Isles want to go anywhere. I still think Boyes is the HUGE problem and once he's off that line Tavares will become a lot better, but looks like Capuano will never take Boyes off the top line unfortunately.
I agree he hasn't play exceptionally well, like he was earlier, but I've said in other threads that I think a lot of his poor decisions are due to Boyes and Moulson constantly giving him the puck in places that are extremely dangerous (i.e. entering the zone at a slow pace with a defender 1 foot away from him). He also knows that those guys aren't going to go to the corner on a dump in, and combine that with being snakebitten over this recent stretch...he's pressing too hard and trying to do too much. I haven't been worried at all, players go through these slumps all the time, and if his slump involves him still getting points every game I'm okay with that.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:53 PM
boredmale

You have to think after Tonight's game he will get alot of the Toronto media voting for him(being the "hometown" boy and all)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:13 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
You have to think after Tonight's game he will get alot of the Toronto media voting for him(being the "hometown" boy and all)
If he can score 4 or 5 here down the stretch or even more and they win 3 of these games he may pull it off.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:17 AM
DktrFaustus

ovechkin and tavares are neck and neck in my books. i have a good feeling ovechkin wins it unless tavares goes on a tear to end the season. his leadership on the goals/points board and the fact that washington looks to be the hottest team closing out the season at such a crucial point does more to secure this. JT is an excellent choice, and even if he does lose out, it will not be a slight to him at all. he will win it some day, maybe even multiple times. he's just that good.

crosby winning this would be a joke.

DktrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:32 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Exactly, MVP of what ? He shouldn't even be voted the MVP of the Isles (Nabby should), let alone the NHL. The 11th leading scorer in the NHL has never won the MVP of the league. Terrible end to his season, can't remember the last time he dominated a game.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlose View Post
What's wrong with calling out JT? He's been inexcusably invisible for a very long time now. He's been turning the puck over a lot, he hasn't been strong along the boards, misses the net or hits the goalies chest everytime he shoots. Honestly I don't think he's been himself since game 1. The hot streak to start the year kind of masked that. There were times throughout the years where I wondered if he was approaching best player in the league territory. Where has that guy been? You can only blame the play of Moulson and Boyes so much. Tavares needs to show a little more, especially when the rest of the team is playing great hockey. And Tavares is my favorite Islander of all time so don't think I'm a Tavares basher or anything.
unreal

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

Does Tavares Have A Shot At The Hart?

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/04/19/jo...ng-island-mvp/

With all this Ovy/Sid talk for MVP, does Johnny T have a shot? He's a huge reason the Isles are where they are this year. Thoughts?

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Pierre LeBrun has JT as number two:

Quote:
Ovechkin’s late-season heroics certainly put him in serious contention. But if we’re going to potentially penalize Crosby’s chances because he missed the last month, how can we not ignore Ovechkin not showing up in the opening month? Just saying.

Getzlaf is completely flying under the radar, perhaps because he’s playing on the West Coast. But he’s fully deserving of being in the mix here.

For me, though, it comes down to Tavares or Toews for my first-place vote. Tavares has carried the Islanders on his back this season and ask yourself the question: Where would the Isles be without him?

Having said that, how can you not reward Captain Serious in Chicago? The Blackhawks have been the most consistent powerhouse in the NHL this season, a wire-to-wire dominance fueled by the consistent work ethic and performance of their leader.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ear-end-awards

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvinscup5 View Post
It's ok that he does work along the boards, but his support sucks.. I really have no issues with moulson, because he was never great at anything but scoring goals, but boyes really doesn't bring anything to the table, maybe a little offense, but that's about it . I think cizikas would eventually be a good fit on that line. He's the perfect guy to do the dirty work, and open some ice for Jt. He can even hold his own offensively
Quote:
Yea, I totally agree with u, but I feel if u take boyes off the first line, he becomes even more useless

Last edited by bigtim1988: 04-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.
bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Doshell Propivo

Without Tavares, this teams has about 20 less points.

Of course he is the Isles MVP.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree he does not Deserve League MVP.
Isles MVP is not a sure thing Either IMO.

Last edited by Fantom: 04-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
iLandHer

Crosby shouldn't get it, he didn't contribute to the teams wins for a month...that's too long, regardless of how many points he has.

You guys bashing Tavares about not being the Isles MVP are insane.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
Crosby does not Deserve MVP either. His team has shown they do not need him to win. they were winning alot without him. I really do not think they need him to win games. How cna you be MVP if your team can win with or without you ?

Old
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Without Tavares, this teams has about 20 less points.

Of course he is the Isles MVP.
I am not saying anything other than this. Without Nabby this Team is 20 pts less.